Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11770 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5812 Jul 10, 2013
Let's see...what have we learned here?

(1) Volt has had two "Pseudo Recalls" (Recalls which weren't called recalls) for battery fires. Note that GM corrected a potentially dangerous flaw by agreeing to a universal refit.

(2) Volt has been hit with 92 TSB's (and counting)for a variety of flaws, some minor, and some major. Some were fixed through On Star re-flash protocol, and many required more hands on treatment.

(3) There are dozens of published consumer complaints available on the net about various issues of concern by Volt owners. These range from minor issues to more serious ones.

(4) We have learned that charging facilities are universally unavailable for EVs (including Volt)for potential buyers living in apartments, condominiums, and high rise buildings.
This is having a negative effect on EV sales, and will no doubt continue thus until more charging facilities are made available.

(5) The EV segment relative to the overall car market remains small, and sluggish sales reflect this. Volt has a slight lead in overall EV sales, but Leaf and Tesla are very close behind.

(6) In order to boost sales which were falling off dramatically, Volt prices were recently dropped and lucrative incentives were added in order to stem flagging sales. This was a major factor in a sales rebound in June of this year.

(7) The pro Volt contingent in this thread are having difficulty accepting these truths about their passion for Volt, and have responded aggressively in rebuttal.

(8) Ratio of rebuttal posts is about 15 to 1 to those which speak to reality, and the vast majority of the rebuttal posts are merely gross personal insults, bigoted slurs against individuals, homophobic sexual fantasies, username cloning, etc.

(9) The very low life, vulgar, and offensive nature of the pro Volt rebuttal posts illustrates a significant lack of maturity and intellectual capability by the majority of those responsible for those posts. Simply put, they have little to offer in rebuttal, and instead choose to act like juvenile morons to somehow prove their case.

In conclusion.....

It's clear that EVs are an indicator of things to come in the auto industry.
It will undoubtedly be at least 10 more years though, before that segment will become a significant player.
Volt is a new product, albeit with some unique technology, but like all newly introduced products, it has experienced a few teething pains along the way, and will no doubt have more going forward.
The competition is coming on fast, in fact a couple of models are close behind Volt, and more and more competitive offerings are in the pipeline.

Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5813 Jul 10, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
I'm thrifty. I spent the equivalent of 70k 2013 dollars for a Cadillac.(plug $44,000 into the link)
That's 1994 dollars.
And?????
You seem to place great significance toward owning a Cadillac at one point in your life.
You've mentioned it many times. Is that revelation intended to impress?
So, does that somehow put you on a socio economic pedestal for the rest of us to stand in awe?

Here's a reality....something you might want to think about next time you get the urge....
Those who feel obliged to repeatedly flaunt ownership of "things", are usually those who have a compulsive need to do so, but do so to reinforce their insecurity.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5814 Jul 10, 2013
Volt is the reigning sales champ year after year and the market is not sluggish in fact it grew very fast in the first quarter of 2013 as it has every quarter. So, with that said, why do you continue to post lies? Might a graph with pretty colors and bars do the trick?

I simply plucked these two ďmistakesĒ while skimming your waste. If one actually took the time to read the entire post Iím sure they could find more. Of course when you have an agenda integrity is a non issue so why bother?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5815 Jul 10, 2013
Yes, this is why I know about your air plane, business,ďtalking with Bob Lutz in PontiacĒ how much you gross per year and what you pay your employees. I also know you travel to Toronto to make cash from time to time. I know you have a condo.
All this I know from memory. If these things are even true, you are quite the rattling fool.

On the contrary you know I drive a truck.

Itís interesting how you react when under pressure and off balance. Naturally I wouldnít expect more from a man that revels in mockery, posts innuendo with zero accountability, integrity or transparency.

You make this easy.
Out for a bite, don't choke on your words now. eh
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5816 Jul 10, 2013
Root wrote:
Volt is the reigning sales champ year after year and the market is not sluggish in fact it grew very fast in the first quarter of 2013 as it has every quarter. So, with that said, why do you continue to post lies? Might a graph with pretty colors and bars do the trick?
I simply plucked these two ďmistakesĒ while skimming your waste. If one actually took the time to read the entire post Iím sure they could find more. Of course when you have an agenda integrity is a non issue so why bother?
Have to admit--it got your attention!!
Your perennial sour grapes are showing--again!!
Your typical flamboyant but flawed reaction tells me that another nerve has been struck.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5817 Jul 10, 2013
Trust old Root to deny truth with great enthusiasm.
He claims EV sales aren't sluggish, and insists contradicting comments are "lies".
Oh my, then all the major automotive media must be liars.
Here's one.....use your own judgement:

AutoNet, June 4, 2013

"The thing about early adopters, is that they're early. They're not middle adopters, or late adapters - they line up at the very beginning. And this is concerning to Electric Vehicle builders because it appears the early adopter pool has been exhausted, and the remaining pool of buyers aren't opening their wallets to pure electric drive cars. Even hybrid car sales are on the thin side, but EV sales have been so slim that many automakers are being forced into a classic price war in order to clear their stock.

Nissan recently cut the price of their Leaf electric vehicle back by a heady 18 per cent, and while that did boost sales, this methodology of sales has its limits. Ford, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi have slashed prices on their EVs, while Chevrolet just cut to the chase and dropped prices on Volt this month"
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5818 Jul 10, 2013
My goodness, here's another one of those nasty Auto Media "liars" that sort of make old Root look foolish....

Auto-Overdrive, June 11, 2013

"Guess what? There's a price war going on among leading electric vehicles, and it's due to a crowded market and slow sales. So if you've been thinking EV for a while, now may be a great time to make the move to all-electric happy motoring"
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5819 Jul 10, 2013
Omit of, Is Root ready for this??

The Spokesman Review, May10, 2013.

"DETROIT Ė Auto companies are hoping lower lease prices can put a charge into sluggish electric car sales.

Electric vehicles once were billed as the answer to high gas prices and dependence on foreign oil. But U.S. oil production is rising and gasoline supplies are abundant. Pump prices have remained relatively stable the past three years, while gas-powered cars have gotten more efficient, making consumers reluctant to give them up.

Thereís also the worry that an electric car could run out of juice on longer trips.

As a result, electric car sales are only a tiny fraction of overall U.S. auto sales. Automakers sold just over 12,000 pure-electric vehicles in the U.S. through April, according to Wardís AutoInfoBank. Thatís less than 1 percent of the 4.97 million cars and trucks sold during the same period. Even a $7,500 tax credit from the U.S. government that effectively lowers prices couldnít persuade most car buyers."
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5820 Jul 10, 2013
Root wrote:
Yes, this is why I know about your air plane, business,ďtalking with Bob Lutz in PontiacĒ how much you gross per year and what you pay your employees. I also know you travel to Toronto to make cash from time to time. I know you have a condo.
All this I know from memory. If these things are even true, you are quite the rattling fool.
On the contrary you know I drive a truck.
Itís interesting how you react when under pressure and off balance. Naturally I wouldnít expect more from a man that revels in mockery, posts innuendo with zero accountability, integrity or transparency.
You make this easy.
Out for a bite, don't choke on your words now. eh
Hey Root...
You making things up again?

I've never published my gross income. Never.
I drive a truck too, so you aren't alone. So what's the big deal about truck?
I've never published compensation for my employees. Never!
Yes, I have a condo--in Puerto Vallarta.(You got one right)
I've never said I go to Toronto to "make cash". Never.
And yes, I've mentioned the businesses and the plane a few times, but never in a boasting way.

So are we seeing. Little oneupmanship now?

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5821 Jul 10, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
Let's see...what have we learned here?
(1) Volt has had two "Pseudo Recalls" (Recalls which weren't called recalls) for battery fires. Note that GM corrected a potentially dangerous flaw by agreeing to a universal refit.
(2) Volt has been hit with 92 TSB's (and counting)for a variety of flaws, some minor, and some major. Some were fixed through On Star re-flash protocol, and many required more hands on treatment.
(3) There are dozens of published consumer complaints available on the net about various issues of concern by Volt owners. These range from minor issues to more serious ones.
(4) We have learned that charging facilities are universally unavailable for EVs (including Volt)for potential buyers living in apartments, condominiums, and high rise buildings.
This is having a negative effect on EV sales, and will no doubt continue thus until more charging facilities are made available.
(5) The EV segment relative to the overall car market remains small, and sluggish sales reflect this. Volt has a slight lead in overall EV sales, but Leaf and Tesla are very close behind.
(6) In order to boost sales which were falling off dramatically, Volt prices were recently dropped and lucrative incentives were added in order to stem flagging sales. This was a major factor in a sales rebound in June of this year.
(7) The pro Volt contingent in this thread are having difficulty accepting these truths about their passion for Volt, and have responded aggressively in rebuttal.
(8) Ratio of rebuttal posts is about 15 to 1 to those which speak to reality, and the vast majority of the rebuttal posts are merely gross personal insults, bigoted slurs against individuals, homophobic sexual fantasies, username cloning, etc.
(9) The very low life, vulgar, and offensive nature of the pro Volt rebuttal posts illustrates a significant lack of maturity and intellectual capability by the majority of those responsible for those posts. Simply put, they have little to offer in rebuttal, and instead choose to act like juvenile morons to somehow prove their case.
In conclusion.....
It's clear that EVs are an indicator of things to come in the auto industry.
It will undoubtedly be at least 10 more years though, before that segment will become a significant player.
Volt is a new product, albeit with some unique technology, but like all newly introduced products, it has experienced a few teething pains along the way, and will no doubt have more going forward.
The competition is coming on fast, in fact a couple of models are close behind Volt, and more and more competitive offerings are in the pipeline.
I would be inclined to believe these arenít pro Volt people as they are more anti-you. It wouldnít surprise me if half of them donít even like the Volt. Your problem and yes I say your problem is this; you try to make a point when there is none. You post something about one car and when it applies to another car you remain silent in an effort to create an illusion. That type of behavior is for lack of better terms down right dirty. Itís a blatant bias as well. This is why I called you irrelevant the other day and because you were rude with your response to me.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5822 Jul 10, 2013
JJFADS is always overcome with what I call "the compulsion to be judgemental"
Itís entirely possible JJFADS wonít make it past a few minutes without judging someone, or some thing.
So, why not just let JJFADS just do his thing--ďjudge away?Ē

To answer that, let me start by drawing a distinction between judgment and discernment.

Discernment means perceiving the way things are, period.

Judgment is what we add to discernment when we make a comparison (implicit or explicit) between how things or people are and how we think they ought to be.

So, in judgment, thereís always an element of dissatisfaction with the way things are and a desire to have things be the way we want them to be.

So JJFADS, let me teach you something..

The difference between you and I is that I see things as they are--with discernment.

I don't judge until I've "discerned" the reality of a given situation.

You JJFADS, on the other hand, see things as something needing to be judged, first and foremost.

Discernment JJFADS,Isn't your long suit.

If you practiced a little more discernment, and weren't so quick to rush to judgement, you and I would get along much better.

One more thing--be advised that I discern most of those pro Volt people as ignorant morons--that's the reality.

And I could care less what those misfits think of me.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5823 Jul 10, 2013
That is the leading pile of long-winded oratory youíve put out in about a day. Truth is I donít judge you rather I could care less about you. If you had read the statement and it had resonated you would have walked away with at minimum two points. Those being that a reasonable current inclination is that you will not present an unbiased fair point honestly that shows both sides of the coin and most probable the group you like to argue with are more anti-you and not pro-Volt.

For some motive you blossom on drama and downbeat supposition and it seems you do it intentionally. So one would ask the following question, why?
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5824 Jul 10, 2013
Long winded perhaps, but reasoned and fairly accurate.

PS. I don't argue with morons.

I just tell 'em like it is.

One more thing.

Your judgemental diatribe about yours truly could very easily be attributed to yourself.

Everything you said would apply quite appropriately.

Now that's whatcha call "Discernment".
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5825 Jul 10, 2013
Now that all this "holier than thou" nonsense is exhausted, would anyone care to discuss some of those consumer complaints we're hearing about Volt?

Or some of the TSBs that Volt is experiencing? After all, 92 and climbing is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, what about the issue of insufficient charging facilities for people who live in high rises.

This just in.
Flooding in Toronto because of record rainfall has caused some problems for Volt owners. Apparently the Don river flooded causing some cars to become immobile.
A Volt that was stalled in hip deep water apparently killed a few fish. Electrocution?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5826 Jul 10, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to admit--it got your attention!!
Your perennial sour grapes are showing--again!!
Your typical flamboyant but flawed reaction tells me that another nerve has been struck.
No nerve struck, just pointing out your mistakes. If you donít post lies you definitely post mistruths and thatís the difference between you and me.

You need ďall the major automotive mediaĒ to explain things to you and I use my brain. In other words you have to take what some reporter has to say and you believe it. I donít play with opinion pieces, you do and you post those opinion pieces all the time which tells me you believe them. So do you need a pretty graph with colors and bars to show you how the market is growing or do you need to open up an Excel spreadsheet plug the numbers and pull the percentages on the fastest growing markets?

Wait, never mind. You need to read more of what ďall the major automotive mediaĒ has to teach you. eh
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5827 Jul 10, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
That is the leading pile of long-winded oratory youíve put out in about a day. Truth is I donít judge you rather I could care less about you. If you had read the statement and it had resonated you would have walked away with at minimum two points. Those being that a reasonable current inclination is that you will not present an unbiased fair point honestly that shows both sides of the coin and most probable the group you like to argue with are more anti-you and not pro-Volt.
For some motive you blossom on drama and downbeat supposition and it seems you do it intentionally. So one would ask the following question, why?
Iím not for or against any of these cars. Buy a Volt, Leaf, Tesla, Prius, Cmax you name it. I simply go after those that spread nonsense about a car or brand. All of these cars are great and none should be torn down. I always thought it was up to the individual to buy what best suits their needs anyhow. Right????
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5828 Jul 10, 2013
Watch out, now the Volt is electrocuting fish. Now Iíve seen it all. Better get PETA. Good grief Charlie Brown.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5829 Jul 10, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>No nerve struck, just pointing out your mistakes. If you donít post lies you definitely post mistruths and thatís the difference between you and me.
You need ďall the major automotive mediaĒ to explain things to you and I use my brain. In other words you have to take what some reporter has to say and you believe it. I donít play with opinion pieces, you do and you post those opinion pieces all the time which tells me you believe them. So do you need a pretty graph with colors and bars to show you how the market is growing or do you need to open up an Excel spreadsheet plug the numbers and pull the percentages on the fastest growing markets?
Wait, never mind. You need to read more of what ďall the major automotive mediaĒ has to teach you. eh
You say you use your brain?
Coulda fooled me!!

FWIW, I would place a lot more faith in what I read in the media over the irresponsible ramblings of a well known Chameleon in Shreveport LA.
Seems everybody but you and your sycophants know what 's really going on out there in the market place.
Oh well, it must be true that ignorance is bliss.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5830 Jul 10, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím not for or against any of these cars. Buy a Volt, Leaf, Tesla, Prius, Cmax you name it. I simply go after those that spread nonsense about a car or brand. All of these cars are great and none should be torn down. I always thought it was up to the individual to buy what best suits their needs anyhow. Right????
What took you so long to finally accept reality?
I agree wholeheartedly.
But with on caveat.
Be informed.
Don't pay any attention to a few morons in Topix.
Especially those who preach one thing and do the opposite.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5831 Jul 10, 2013
Root wrote:
Watch out, now the Volt is electrocuting fish. Now Iíve seen it all. Better get PETA. Good grief Charlie Brown.
That was just a joke.
Does it have a familiar ring to it?
It should resonate.
It mirrors many of your posts, in case you hadn't noticed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Volvo Vcads 88890180 PTT software Free download (Jan '16) 14 hr hirad 40
What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08) 20 hr Jack flash 210
Help with 2002 Honda Odyssey radio code (Oct '07) Apr 27 Foortay 83
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Apr 26 Tom 19
News Jeep Trailcat Is the 707-hp Hellcat-Powered Wra... (Mar '16) Apr 25 Wheels 7
Xhorse the best vvdi2 bmw Apr 25 Ambrosio 3
Where to buy VVDI 2, VVDI PROG programmer? (Oct '15) Apr 24 Ambrosio 5
More from around the web