Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 10535 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5751 Jul 8, 2013
Steering Problem 24 January 2013

The contact owns a 2012 chevrolet volt. The contact stated while driving 60 mph the power steering system malfunctioned and failed. The contact stated the power steering system malfunction may have been caused by the vehicle driving over a rumble strips on the highway. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer could not find what caused the power steering system to fail. Vehicle still in dealer shop awaiting solution.The failure mileage was 4,500.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5753 Jul 8, 2013
Dominic wrote:
Is there any proof of the guy who got electrocuted by his Volt being threatened with legal action by GM? Is this voltluvr person telling more fairy tales?
FYI, here's another take on that issue, quoted from a site I came across:

"Another Secret Chevy Volt Investigation?

One word journalists like to use in headlines about the all-electric Chevy Volt is “shock”– as in “Electric Shock: Is GM Really Losing $49,000 on Every Volt Sale?” and “Chevy Volt Continues to Shock and Awe After a Week on the Road” and “Chevrolet Volt: Electric sedan sends shock waves through auto industry.”

An electric vehicle is going to invite those metaphors, right? But three months ago, a driver from California made a complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that was literally shocking. On December 1, the driver received what was described as a significant electric shock from the gear shifter:

“Luckily, when incident occurred, driver was able to quickly remove their point of contact from gear shifter before the hand and arm muscles had involuntarily contracted in place permanently closing the contact and resulting in further electrocution. Driver sustained significant electrical shock injury to hand/arm including pain, shock, soreness, numbness, and tingling sensation.”

The incident was immediately reported to GM, which instructed the driver to call 911 so that the local fire department could disconnect the power. Those first responders refused, because they didn’t know the system, and feared for their own safety, the complaint said.

GM had already agreed to buy back this vehicle for a host of other problems. A repair document filed with the complaint indicates that in late October, the driver took it to Paradise Chevrolet in Ventura, California, complaining that the Volt kept turning itself off and on. The automaker’s reaction to this latest, arguably more hazardous malfunction was totally warm and fuzzy, according to the complaint:

“Since incident, GM is only willing to transfer driver to their Product Allocation Department which acts in a legal capacity and accepts claim reports for further investigation. Driver’s immediate concern is not to sue GM but to insure [sic] all reasonable efforts are made to inform other Volt dealers of incident and hopefully prevent other drivers from being electrocuted.”

Has GM heeded the driver’s plea? A check for Technical Service Bulletins didn’t turn up any new alerts. Judging by a FAX cover sheet that accompanied the repair bill and a redacted medical record, the driver was in direct contact with NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation in early December. Is the agency looking into this?

The last time ODI investigated a problem with the Chevy Volt, the public found out about it after five months of secret tests and analyses. The probe was officially opened only after the agency had done nearly all of its work. As the DOT’s dear leader Ray LaHood opined at the time that the Volt was safe to drive, it seems that the agency had pretty much concluded that no defect existed. As we have noted before, NHTSA has been known to keep high-profile defect investigations under wraps by not publishing an Opening Resume until some sort of conclusion has already been reached. See: What Doesn’t NHTSA Want You to Know About Auto Safety?"
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5754 Jul 8, 2013
If the above article is true, and it seems so, then this contradicts LMV's story completely.

So now whose credibility has been sullied?
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5755 Jul 8, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
No to you, super dumbass, the site is part of the internet which is worldwide, perhaps that is why it is called the world wide net.
JJ, your knowledge is more limited than the electric range of the volt.
JJFADS is just blowing smoke at you.
His hopelessly bigoted "guest theory" is sheer rubbish.
All are welcome here, regardless of country of origin.
Prometheus

Windsor, Canada

#5756 Jul 8, 2013
Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
Looks like the hater is doubling down. Must be an obama fan. Those with a low iq act like this.
Question...

Are you having delusions of competence--again?

Tell you what....

If you stop telling lies about me, I'll stop telling the truth about you, OK?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5757 Jul 8, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
Question...
Are you having delusions of competence--again?
Tell you what....
If you stop telling lies about me, I'll stop telling the truth about you, OK?
Why do you hate the Volt and why do you make a mockery of this forum?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5761 Jul 8, 2013
When he wakes up we will get more spam. Just stop it. Let him deal with his hate deamons. When deamons rule your body the person loses control.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5763 Jul 8, 2013
<quoted text>Good take but I think he's filled with Satan's demons. Most canadians are either satanic or mooslim. That's why pig lips are a no no and they hate American cars like the Volt. One day they will have a car company and we can make fun of their cars but for now they must rely on us and the Japanese.
I know, it’s intentional. They don’t spell well and have trouble with cognitive skills. Many times the only way I can get my point across is to tactically place words in a manner that will get a response from his cloned pony. I didn’t know about the canadian satanists though. Thanks for the heads up. That’s some serious shit.
Prometheus

Shreveport, LA

#5764 Jul 8, 2013
I’m going to post as Prometheus for awhile to try and get the demons out. Please bear with me. This is an exorcism to try and get satan out of the canadian’s head. Volt is number one and when I’m done he will comply (I hope).
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5765 Jul 8, 2013
This part was conveniently left out:

"The electric shock complaint, he said, was puzzling. It takes a lot of direct current voltage to produce a significant electric shock.

“What would be the path from the shift mechanism?” he asked."

Automotive electronics expert David Gilbert of Southern Illinois University Carbondale

He asked that because he is an automotive electronics expert. The only expert that site quoted. That expert knows there is no path.

Insinuations mean nothing. Facts by experts mean everything in this forum .... that is by most people.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5766 Jul 8, 2013
Also, the shifter is completely plastic. There is no path.

Also, Safety Research & Strategies is actually one man, Sean Kane. Evidently, he is something of an ambulance chaser:

That's it, this so called safety group is a muckraker. He is only interested in law suits.

From the link:

"SR&S is a research firm that works with plaintiffs' attorneys on lawsuits related to injuries and/or safety matters."

"Therefore, it would appear that Mr. Kane, being dissatisfied with the report issued by his own company, set up a situation that could create a different, perhaps more profitable to him and his attorney clients, outcome."

read that last sentence again.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/03/08...

Do you know how I know this guy is mucking things up? Because there is absolutely no other reference in the internet to this incident.

Do you actually think that Fox News, who hates the Volt even more than the main hater on this forum, would let this go if it were true?

Even Fox News won't touch it because this idiot who is the research company has already been busted once trying to muck things up with Toyota.

The problem here is that the hater hates the Volt so much that he doesn't bother to check into what his sources are.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5767 Jul 8, 2013
A real Volt forum discussing this alleged incident.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5768 Jul 8, 2013
Oh my, this Sean Kane guy even admits that is is biased in his research:

"During questioning at the House Committee’s investigation into Toyota’s ongoing recall crisis, safety advocate group Safety Research & Strategies founder Sean Kane admitted that his group is hardly an unbiased participant. In fact, Kane admitted that a recent report outlining Toyota’s faults was funded by five different law firms, all of which are currently engaged in litigation with Toyota."

"The credibility of the report may now be called into question, considering the source of the funding behind it"

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/02/to...

Perhaps he was a little afraid of the perjury penalties .... eh?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5769 Jul 8, 2013
So, the safety guy, who is supposed to be totally unbiased when looking into an issue is being paid by the guys who are trying to prove one side of the issue.

??????????

Can we please not stoop to using this type of material on this forum.

Is this how low we have come?
Over Priced Cruze

Trumbull, CT

#5770 Jul 8, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
A real Volt forum discussing this alleged incident.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-...
You have zero credibility, you're just a shill, a hack!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5771 Jul 8, 2013
You know the hater is reaching when he reports this and that about the Volt. Always one car. Everybody knows there is no perfect car. The Volt comes pretty close.

Cars are cars. Show me where there are massive recalls. Not just one incident. Sheeeesh. How childish is that?

Here is an example:

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-recalls-7...

And another:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/03/autos...

People being killed by defective cars ... now this is real stuff. Not "one guys main screen went out". ONE GUY? One Screen?
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/chrysl...

Big problems at Mercedes:

http://www.mercedesdefects.com/

Now, these are real car problems. If one guy in a Toyota had his GPS screen go out, I don't care. What do you think you are proving by posting these single incidents?

Quite frankly, I'm pleased to hear that you can only find single incidents. It proves that the Volt is a great car.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5772 Jul 8, 2013
Over Priced Cruze wrote:
<quoted text>
You have zero credibility, you're just a shill, a hack!
Ouch, you hurt my feelings!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5773 Jul 8, 2013
The dolt is still voting multiple times. Like a baby that lost his rattle.
old river walk perve

Hoffman Estates, IL

#5779 Jul 9, 2013
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
All of this from a person known to frequent the darker areas of the River Walk after midnight? You still hustling those old men?
Yes or no answer will suffice.
Yeah,That fella from texas realy polishes the old knob!!!!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5780 Jul 9, 2013
<quoted text>You lost your virginity at age 10? That's cool, Tesla lost its backseat at one.
Told you I would get a response.

“Many times the only way I can get my point across is to tactically place words in a manner that will get a response from his cloned pony”

It’s an old skill that works every time. Much like a pork rib, slow and low. It’s reactionary.

Volt is at the top.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 Pontiac Bonneville wiring issues. Please Help 6 hr Destiny4491 1
News Should You Buy a New Harley Davidson (Nov '07) 8 hr Bikers sux 556
News Why don't we drive more electric vehicles? 15 hr Fed Up with Iluvm... 11
News Vacaville residents concerned about chromium le... 18 hr concerned citizen 8
Junk My Car, Auto Salvage, Cash for Cars, ... (Jan '12) Aug 28 jstrong196 21
News Acura NSX will use Cosworth block, plus other n... Aug 27 Daniel Edgar Sickles 2
Best solution for car computing parts Aug 27 Autopcms 1
More from around the web