Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11783 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Prometheus

Canada

#5480 Jul 2, 2013
Volt sales will continue flat or worse.
Tesla and Leaf will continue their upward trends.
Prius plug-in will show no improvement.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5481 Jul 2, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
Are we seeing a desperation move by GM?
"Detroit Free Press, June 28, 2013.
GM slashes Volt price to boost sluggish sales.
Volt sales declined 4.3% in May to 1,607 while industry sales increased 8.2%. Through the first five months of this year, Volt trails both the much more expensive Tesla Model S and the smaller, less-expensive Nissan Leaf.
At one time, GM expected to be building between 60,000 and 100,000 Volts annually, but with sales this year through May of 7,157, that goal has been reassessed."
The price variations were discussed last month. It started when Nissan slashed Leaf prices and started selling Leaves. GM then adjusted incentive spend on the sales reigning champion sales crowned champ conservative Volt and this should be the first month we see a result.

The question was not to see what you could copy and paste from last month. We all know when they are released. It was to see if you wanted to have some fun and take an educated guess at what the numbers might look like this month. They should be out in a bit.

Here was my take again:

I’m going to suggest we see even better numbers for Leaf and Volt when June numbers are released later. Here’s my guess: Leaf 2100 – 2200…Volt 2000 – 2100? Everyone else: Noise. There are no other serious competitors. The other numbers will be in the hundreds. Anybody else want to take a shot on June sales?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5482 Jul 2, 2013
Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
I'm going to keep my predictions with Leaf and Volt numbers. I might reduce the Prius numbers. Does anybody else want to throw out their predictions?
Mine are staying the same. Leaf, Volt, prius.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5483 Jul 2, 2013
Gizmo, this is what I posted yesterday in response to your statments. You probably didnt see it because there was no answer so I'll move it to this page. Post # http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/TH3BHR6DJMOL...

Statements like this make me wonder if you have an agenda. It also raises another question and that is why you don’t say it’s selling better than most of the other cars in the exact same segment. You also don’t recognize it’s the reigning sales leader.

So why is it you offer a talking point and leave out the most important facts which are the Volt is the reigning sales leader and continues to outsell most of the other cars it competes against? If you really do like the Volt why would you not present an even talking point and build from that? After all most cars have ups and downs and you aren’t scrutinizing those cars.
Prometheus

Canada

#5484 Jul 2, 2013
Results in for Volt.
Massive price reductions and lease incentives helped boost sales in June significantly.
For June GM posted it best sales result of 2013…by a long shot.
More Than 2,600 US Consumers Chose The Volt In June
During the month, a staggering 2,698 Volts were sold, an increase of more than a thousand from May (1,607). A large part of this number can be attributed to a year-end deepening of discounts on the Volt, where purchasers of the 38 mile extended range car netted at least $4,000 off the MSRP.
June’s deals from Chevy on the Volt:
$2,000 off + 0% financing for 60 or 72 months
$3,000 off + 0% financing for up to 48 months
$4,000 off
continuation of $1,000 off in “conquest” deals of leas conversions from other manufacturers vehicles
Overall GM has now sold 9,855 plug-in Chevys as compared to 8,817 in 2012, good for a near 12% increase.
Prometheus

Canada

#5485 Jul 2, 2013
GM has resorted to bribing buyers in order to boost Volt sales!!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5486 Jul 2, 2013
Volt sales up 53% in June. I underestimated the reigning sales champ conservative Volt. In June Chevrolet sold 2698 Volts making the sales up 53.3%.

Strange how just yesterday I read somebody saying Volt sales were down for June.
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/TH3BHR6DJMOL...
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5487 Jul 2, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
GM has resorted to bribing buyers in order to boost Volt sales!!
Time for a comparison of the reduction of MSRP on Leaf and incentive spend on Volt? I suggest yes, you will find the answer a few pages back when we first dicussed it.

Congratualtions to the Volt on a 53.3% increase in sales.
Prometheus

Canada

#5488 Jul 2, 2013
May Sales, Lead By The Nissan LEAF and Fusion Energi Look Make It Three Good Monthly Results In A Row
A solid month of plug-in sales in May looks to continue into June, as the month is expected to come in at another near record high. Previously, in May, 7,554 EVs were sold – with 57% of those (4,345) being of the fully electric variety…a new trend that has developed in 2013 thanks to the Tesla Model S and the resurgence in sales that came with the 2013 Nissan LEAF.

For June, the highlights include:

Tesla shifting production from the US to Europe
Chevrolet gets great results as a result of a deep-discount program on the Volt, as well sells the first copies of the Spark EV
Nissan looks to keep recent momentum on the LEAF rolling.
Below you can find the results for your own favorite plug-in vehicle, plus a look behind the numbers as well.

NOTE: This scorecard is published as soon as the first automaker reports every month, and is populated/updated throughout the day as soon as more data is available.

(last update: Tuesday, July 1st, 10:31am)

2013 Chevrolet Volt
Chevrolet Volt: 2,698 extended range EVs were sold by General Motors, easily the best result for 2013.

For the year, GM has now sold 9,855 cars versus 8,817 through the first six months of last year; an increase of about 12%

June’s result was helped in a big way thanks to massive incentives, as, GM continued to put cash on the hood. For all 2013 Chevrolet Volt in inventory customers received at least $4,000 of the MSRP when buying the car.

Also of interest was what didn’t come – a 2014 model year trim and pricing announcement. With production on the 2013 now idled at GM’s Hamtramck facility until July 15th, we have to be hearing how much the Volt’s price will be cut for 2014 soon.(It has to be reduced right? We think so)

Last month also marked the first month that GM did not report production figures at their plants (an industry standard practice), but thanks to ‘boots on the ground’ we can tell you that production was way down in June in Michigan on the Volt, and national inventories remain flush during the month.

The company still does have an over-stock position on Volt, with about 120 days inventory.
Prometheus

Canada

#5489 Jul 2, 2013
[QUOTE who="Root"
Strange how just yesterday I read somebody saying Volt sales were down for June.
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/TH3BHR6DJMOL...
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and you agreed with it!
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5490 Jul 2, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Time for a comparison of the reduction of MSRP on Leaf and incentive spend on Volt? I suggest yes, you will find the answer a few pages back when we first dicussed it.
Congratualtions to the Volt on a 53.3% increase in sales.
Volt sales looking good at 50% increase!
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5491 Jul 2, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
Volt sales will continue flat or worse.
Tesla and Leaf will continue their upward trends.
Prius plug-in will show no improvement.
Time for damage control.
Prometheus

Canada

#5492 Jul 2, 2013
If GM continues these massive incentives to keep Volt alive, perhaps they'll be giving them away as an added bonus for buying pickups.
I can hardly wait. New pickup on shopping list for November.
Will add davits to the tailgate and use Volt as a dinghy.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#5493 Jul 2, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and you agreed with it!
I did not. When you said Volt sales were down for June I knew it was wrong because sales for June would not be released until today. That’s why I questioned you. You also said “Volt sales would continue flat or worse” and you were wrong again.

I don’t want to believe it and I hate to say it but it seems (it appears) you have an agenda against the Volt. You also refuse to answer the questions posed to you about your comments.

Congrats on the strong Volt sales up 53.3%.
Prometheus

Canada

#5494 Jul 2, 2013
Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
<quoted text>Time for damage control.
Put enough money on the hood and even used Ladas will set sales records!
GM's damage control formula is nothing new.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5495 Jul 2, 2013
Robust sales for Volt and the others, this should help solidify Volt’s yearly position and allow it to remain as the top player for yet another year. Great job to all makers involved in these endeavors and much improvement wished upon all.

A special note to all posters, thank you for participating. This is the most commented and voted thread since the beginning of the Autos Forum on Topix. Keep it going, thanks again.
Prometheus

Canada

#5496 Jul 2, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not. When you said Volt sales were down for June I knew it was wrong because sales for June would not be released until today. That’s why I questioned you. You also said “Volt sales would continue flat or worse” and you were wrong again.
I don’t want to believe it and I hate to say it but it seems (it appears) you have an agenda against the Volt. You also refuse to answer the questions posed to you about your comments.
Congrats on the strong Volt sales up 53.3%.
No agenda here. Not against Volt at any rate.
Just reporting news as it's published--about Volt. Also tossing in an opinion or two--about Volt.
Didn't you as the multi screen named main player here insist this forum is about Volt, and only Volt?
Are you now rescinding that edict?

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5497 Jul 2, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
If GM continues these massive incentives to keep Volt alive, perhaps they'll be giving them away as an added bonus for buying pickups.
Your words would best be served with a pilsner of Sam Adams as you eat them whole.
Over Priced Cruze

Florham Park, NJ

#5498 Jul 2, 2013
Prometheus wrote:
GM giving an extra $4,000 off MSRP to unload those dogs; that means each Volt is now losing over $50,000 per unit; Obamanomics at its finest!
Prometheus

Canada

#5499 Jul 2, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>
You also refuse to answer the questions posed to you about your comments.
I choose only to respond to questions from trustworthy and honest individuals.
In other words, people I know will conduct themselves with integrity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where can I buy Tech Tool 2.05 and Dev2tool at ... Sun tuita 1
Original Xhorse VVDI2 BMW Key Programmer Feedback Aug 18 tuita 3
News Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for racially-charge... (Mar '16) Aug 16 Chauntyll Allen 27
Buy 2017 New V1.70 Opel OP-COM 2016 Aug 16 OPCOM 2016 3
$39.00 WOW 5.00.12 USB Version OBD2 Diagnostic ... Aug 16 wow 50012 3
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Aug 15 Latintony1 314
7th Anniversary Sale 2nd Wave, Lowest Price & F... Aug 15 jimmyLIN 1
More from around the web