Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11775 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5386 Jun 25, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>
Tesla shouldn’t be using a sliding hammer for these things. There are two problems causing the Tesla recall; improper latching and compromised weld. The first issue can be fixed; it’s the second that causes concern.
There is no mention of the FMVSS #207 in any TESLA or NHTSA document.
Please note improper latching is not part of the recall.

From The CEO of Tesla:

"After a careful examination, we have concluded that some Model S vehicles manufactured between May 10, 2013 and June 8, 2013 may contain a defect. Specifically, the attachment strength of the mounting bracket for the left hand latch of the second row seat could be weaker than intended. This reduces our confidence that the left hand seat back will be properly retained in the event of a crash.

As designed, the striker bracket is both bonded and welded to the vehicle body, either one of which would be sufficient by itself. This is consistent with the primary design goal of the Model S, which is first and foremost to maximize safety. However, we discovered that, due to body side alignment adjustments in the factory, the bonded section of the joint was compromised and the welded section of the joint was weakened in some cars.

We do not wish to cause undue alarm, so it is perhaps worth clarifying that:

The weld has not actually detached on any car
There have been no customer complaints
We are not aware of any injuries or near injuries
No regulatory agency brought this to our attention
However, given the paramount importance of safety, we would like to reinforce the left striker bracket on cars produced during this period. This work has already been performed on cars that were in the factory, so the recall applies only to cars delivered in mid to late May and early June.

Affected Model S owners will be contacted in the next few days and we will arrange for their car to be picked up, the bracket reinforced and the car returned to their possession. To be clear, the Model S does not need to be brought to our service center by the owner. Tesla will pick up the car at a location of the owner’s convenience, provide a Model S loaner if needed, perform the work and bring the car back to the owner a few hours later.

Apologies for the inconvenience,
Elon"
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5387 Jun 25, 2013
Tesla Recall 99 Percent wrote:
I'm glad Tesla issued a recall alert. That was a responsible thing to do. Can you imagine the back seat flying across the highway and crashing into oncoming traffic.
This is a ludicrous scenario. Imagination running amok. Pure Troll.
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5388 Jun 25, 2013
OMG the back seat of a Tesla can come unglued because of bad welds!
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5389 Jun 25, 2013
I am pleased to see Tesla has established it's own Direct From Manufacturer to buyer system. This eliminates the former middle man system where dealers buy from manufacturer and resell to buyer, and this reduces cost. Also, it gives a far more realistic picture of sales, because under the old system sales are measured by dealer purchases, not by consumer purchases. Sales numbers under the old system can be wildly distorted. I think it's time the old archaic system is retired for other carmakers.
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5390 Jun 25, 2013
So a 70 thousand dollar car has a wobbly back seat and cr didn't catch it? First they told me it was great and now I find out the back seat in a Volkswagen is stronger.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5391 Jun 25, 2013
So a 70 thousand dollar car has a wobbly back seat and cr didn't catch it? First they told me it was great and now I find out the back seat in a Volkswagen is stronger.
Quit worrying. Don't get your knickers in such a knot. Tesla is OK and will continue to do well. The world is not coming to an end and the sun still rises every day in the east. Your chronic trolling about this little thing will only give you an ulcer.
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5392 Jun 25, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>
Tesla shouldn’t be using a sliding hammer for these things. There are two problems causing the Tesla recall; improper latching and compromised weld. The first issue can be fixed; it’s the second that causes concern.
There is no mention of the FMVSS #207 in any TESLA or NHTSA document.
Can they latch the back seat with superglue?
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5393 Jun 25, 2013
Even more expensive cars have recalls. Rolls Royce Silver Ghost costs in excess of $250,000.

Except that Rolls-Royce got the wheel size wrong on 10 of the cars, which subjects them to a recall.

According to the finger wagging documentation on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the cars are equipped with 20-inch rims, but 10 of the model year 2012 Ghosts have tire information labels that say they were equipped with 19-inch rims.

"Therefore, the label does not conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 110,“'Tire Selection and Rims,'" NHTSA says.

The owners of the affected vehicles have all received corrected tire size labels, NHTSA says.

But Rolls-Royce is apparently not pleased that the issue was raised in the first place.

"The manufacturer is petitioning NHTSA for a determination that this matter is inconsequential to motor vehicle safety," NHTSA said.

Rolls Royce sold 292 cars in the U.S. last year.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5394 Jun 25, 2013
I would classify the Tesla recall at a similar level of seriousness as the Rolls Royce one.
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5395 Jun 25, 2013
Or maybe crazy glue. One time on tv I saw a construction worker glue his hard hat to a steel beam and hang from it. That would keep the Tesla backseat secured for sure.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5396 Jun 25, 2013
Or maybe crazy glue. One time on tv I saw a construction worker glue his hard hat to a steel beam and hang from it. That would keep the Tesla backseat secured for sure.
By using a slide hammer for aligning the left hand seat back striker to the bracket, it weakened the weld between the bracket and the frame of the vehicle. Tesla will have to add additional mounting hardware to ensure a proper joint between the bracket and the frame. While extra hardware bolts to the frame and striker to prevent latching problems, it will not ensure a proper weld. The latching problem is fixed with the hardware. What still remains is the improper weld. I’m not buying one so it doesn’t matter to me if the seat rattles or not.

Hardware used to correct this problem:

http://www.hftexports.com/prod_uploads/Cable%...
Over Priced Cruze

Newtown, CT

#5399 Jun 25, 2013
The Volt is a maintenance ticking time bomb; wait for it! Best to lease or unload them after three years. GM should re-brand the Volt; the Aztek. What is truly amazing about the Volt, is that it probably won't even sell as many units as the Aztek.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#5401 Jun 25, 2013
I'm glad Tesla issued a recall alert. That was a responsible thing to do. Can you imagine the back seat flying across the highway and crashing into oncoming traffic.
And one can only hope that you will be "the oncoming traffic".
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#5402 Jun 25, 2013
Why didn't YOU catch it?
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5403 Jun 25, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Why didn't YOU catch it?
I did! The second I heard cr had given Tesla such a highly rated recommend status I said to myself "I bet this thing gets recalled" and now it is.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#5405 Jun 25, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Why didn't YOU catch it?
Mr. Liner, do you have any who that weirdo is who uses my name and does the sex talk? Is it the same one as the Troll who posts the other troll talk?
Tesla Recall 99 Percent

United States

#5406 Jun 25, 2013
If Tesla's backseat is a rockin don't bother knockin...
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#5407 Jun 25, 2013
Two awesome, and very different electric motorcycles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#5408 Jun 27, 2013
Dominic wrote:
I am pleased to see Tesla has established it's own Direct From Manufacturer to buyer system. This eliminates the former middle man system where dealers buy from manufacturer and resell to buyer, and this reduces cost. Also, it gives a far more realistic picture of sales, because under the old system sales are measured by dealer purchases, not by consumer purchases. Sales numbers under the old system can be wildly distorted. I think it's time the old archaic system is retired for other carmakers.
I agree. BTW, the stupid anti-Tesla troll that's been clogging up this board is no doubt a dealer employee who feels threatened at his part time wash-rack job down at the Chebby dealer. Pity.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5409 Jun 27, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. BTW, the stupid anti-Tesla troll that's been clogging up this board is no doubt a dealer employee who feels threatened at his part time wash-rack job down at the Chebby dealer. Pity.
The chances of one losing their car washing job because of Tesla is not very reasonable, emotional, but not rational. You seem to have forgot how to spell Chevrolet. Might we need to revisit Toyoter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pathfinder problems (Jan '06) 19 hr G-Style 400
Cost - effective Land Rover Jaguar VXDIAG VCX N... Fri uobd2 1
Renault diagnostic tool , choose COM Bluetooth ... Thu uobd2 1
OBDSTAR X300 PRO3 Key Master Update F108 PSA Pi... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 1
VVDI2 Commander Key Programmer Latest V1.2.5 Up... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 1
Renault-COM Bluetooth Diagnostic and Programmin... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 2
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Nov 30 hard at it 293
More from around the web