Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11771 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4662 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
The hater points to the Volt's slow sales in the first 4 months. What he fails to point out is that all car manufacturers are facing slow sales.
Wrong!!! That's nuts!!
The only drops in sales so far this year are (a) Large cars, and (b) Mini Vans.
Every other segment in vehicle sales are showing increases over 2012.
Some increases are significant, ie, Pickup Trucks.
Some aren't, ie, plug-ins.
According to the Wall Street Journal.
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4663 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
The farther than right wing has given their followers the order not to buy the Volt. They will never buy the Volt.
They have closed their minds to the fact that this is a Bush era car and the dream of a Republican conservative (Bob Lutz).
Facts aren't in their vocabulary.
However, considering that 40% of the population are robotically following their master controllers.
Wow, ain't that a testimonial to a Fascist Philosophy!
At first I considered this character to be just a tad eccentric.
After reading this latest rant, I've come to the conclusion there may be a psychotic out there somewhere.
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4664 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get him wrong ... he likes the Volt.
Thanks for acknowledging that.
What too so long?
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4665 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
They have closed their minds to the fact that this is the dream of a Republican conservative (Bob Lutz)
Actually, Volt was the dream of another fella...

Wikipedia...
"Lutz's initial idea was to develop an all-electric car, but Jon Lauckner, General Motors Vice President for Global Vehicle Development, convinced him that to avoid an expensive battery, range anxiety concerns, and lack of public charging infrastructure, they could use a smaller battery pack with a small gasoline engine driving a generator acting as a backup to extend the range, but without a mechanical connection between the gasoline engine and the drive wheels, so it would be a pure electrically driven vehicle without many of the limitations General Motors learned from the EV1 experience.[22]"
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4666 May 23, 2013
For information--- Bob Lutz fans...

Wikipedia...
"Lutz Stepped down from his VP position in 2009. Lutz said that one reason for his decision was the increasing regulatory climate in Washington that would force GM to produce what Federal regulators wanted, rather than what customers wanted. Lutz has expressed skepticism on the issue of global warming.[11]"

Lutz's comment about involvement of Federal regulators certainly resonates!

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#4667 May 23, 2013
I would suggest looking at sources other than Wikipedia.

Dallas, TX.

#4668 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know that those people will fade away. The farther than right wing has given their followers the order not to buy the Volt. They will never buy the Volt.
They have closed their minds to the fact that this is a Bush era car and the dream of a Republican conservative (Bob Lutz).
However, considering that 40% of the population are robotically following their master controllers, the Volt is selling very well.
The hater points to the Volt's slow sales in the first 4 months. What he fails to point out is that all car manufacturers are facing slow sales. Just google "car sales slow in 2013", you will get a whole slew of links.
But, Volt sales are still 4% ahead of last year, and last year, sales tripled over 2011.
That looks rosy to me. My glass isn't half empty.
You are wrong. Leave politics out of it until you can get it right.

Dallas, TX.

#4669 May 23, 2013
The Hater_Not Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. One of the more sensible ones lately!
Agree with just about all of your first paragraph, but there are a couple of points in your second which I don't think are quite correct. Perhaps a bit of speculation there?
Maybe next time I'm in your city it would be fun to sit down over some good grape and have at it.(Visited twice so far this year!)
Contrary to the opinions of some here, I'm really not against the Volt and others of it's genre, altho' I do believe quite strongly that some here have taken the "like or dislike" contention far too seriously. I got into that a bit as you know and had a little fun with it.
I also believe it will be some time (perhaps even a generation)before the car buying public on this continent will be switching to these vehicles in huge quantities.
There will no doubt be be quite a culture change taking place as well, as these vehicles do become much bigger players in our lives.
The era of pickups, SUVs,big crossovers, etc, isn't going to go away overnight.
The era of gasoline and oil will be around for quite a while, unfortunately.
As well, I believe there will continue to be improvements in fuel economies, plus much more development of alternate motive technologies in the interim.
May be continued later.
Will wait and see if this post attracts more of the usual nonsense.
Now what brings you from Canada to Dallas? That's quite the distance.

Dallas, TX.

#4670 May 23, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. I consider the Volt a well-engineered, well-built vehicle. Perhaps built for a niche market at present. However, many of us "old guys" recall the old GM and their history of different idea cars: Corvair, "rope drive" Tempest, Reatta, Fiero, Allante and the Saturn/Pontiac sports cars etc. All excellent ideas but for various reasons left to die on the vine. It would be a shame for the Volt to meet that fate. And I don't expect it will.
I agree, and it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Dallas, TX.

#4671 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
From the link:
" In addition, if a driver goes a full year without filling up the gas tank, the system will come on and run the Volt's generator engine until all of the old gas in the tank is used. This forces the driver to go fill up the tank with fresh fuel."
http://www.karldirect.com/blog/special-gas-ta...
From the link:
" the vehicle's computer system detects that more than 12 months have passed since the Volt's fuel was last replaced, it will run the engine long enough to consume all the gasoline that has been sitting in the tank for that period - or until the driver stops at a gas station and adds some new fuel to the mix."
http://www.autobytel.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/...
And yes, I did make an error about the tank. It is a presurized tank. The tank is presurized to keep moisture out.
It had been so long since I read these links that I forgot. I didn't think anybody would not believe a Volt owner when it comes to knowing their cars. As I said, it took 9 months of not buying gas before my car burned half of it off (1 gallon).
The maintenance mode every 1,000 miles is not related to stale gas. It is only to lubricate the gas generator. It only runs for about 3 - 5 minutes and at a very slow idle. The car remains in electric mode while the generator runs to lubricate itself.
The Volt will not burn off all the gas. Only enough to make the owner put new gas to refresh the gas already in the tank.
" or until the driver stops at a gas station and adds some new fuel to the mix."
You must understand most of the comments you respond to are jokes or troll postings.
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4672 May 23, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>Now what brings you from Canada to Dallas? That's quite the distance.
Flight Safety International is at DTW.
My friend (who's Corporated board I sit on) owns a twin turboprop Piper Cheyenne II. He goes to Flight Safety twice every year for a Prof Refresher, and this year I went with him to get certified on his aircraft. They use simulators, so it's far less costly than doing it in the a/c itself, plus you really get put through the wringer.
We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn at Market Square while there, rented a car each time and did some sightseeing.
Great city!!
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4673 May 23, 2013
Make that DFW.
I go thru Detroit so often it's always #1 on the mind!
The Lover

United States

#4674 May 23, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know that those people will fade away. The farther than right wing has given their followers the order not to buy the Volt. They will never buy the Volt.
However, considering that 40% of the population are robotically following their master controllers, the Volt is selling very well.
The hater points to the Volt's slow sales in the first 4 months. What he fails to point out is that all car manufacturers are facing slow sales. Just google "car sales slow in 2013", you will get a whole slew of links.
But, Volt sales are still 4% ahead of last year, and last year, sales tripled over 2011.
That looks rosy to me. My glass isn't half empty.
I didn't realize Volt sales are up 4%
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4675 May 23, 2013
The Lover wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't realize Volt sales are up 4%
Actually the right number is 3.2 Percent
2012 First Quarter Sales.......5377
2013 First Quarter Sales.......5550
Increase 2013 over 2012.........173

Dallas, TX.

#4676 May 23, 2013
The Hater_not really wrote:
<quoted text>
Flight Safety International is at DTW.
My friend (who's Corporated board I sit on) owns a twin turboprop Piper Cheyenne II. He goes to Flight Safety twice every year for a Prof Refresher, and this year I went with him to get certified on his aircraft. They use simulators, so it's far less costly than doing it in the a/c itself, plus you really get put through the wringer.
We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn at Market Square while there, rented a car each time and did some sightseeing.
Great city!!
American Airlines Territory.

DFW is a great airport, might I suggest you stay in the Hyatt Regency next time. South entrance take the C exit/terminal. From the South entrance it will be on the left. Ask for a room that faces the runway on the C side, opposite the side facing the main tower and pool. Get your parking ticket validated each time you leave, parking is free and on site. Stay away from the Grand Hyatt, it’s inside the terminal and a complete hassle, parking is across the way. I spend a lot of time at that Airport.

Sightseeing – Pick your poison. If you have a wife like mine, you will spend hours shopping.

Some tourists like to see the Stock Yards in FW / not my style. But if you were to go, catch the train in downtown Grapevine - Main St. instead of making the drive. Downtown Grapevine for the tourist consists of Main Street where you will find many eccentric shops and small restaurants/bistros. Stock Yards have many shops all western themed. Cowboy, cowboy, cowboy again, when leaving you will be sick of anything cow.

Fort Worth has a great Zoo. Dallas does not.
George Bush Library just opened.
Art Museum Downtown
Southfork
Catch a Rangers game
Aquarium…
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4677 May 23, 2013
Thanks for the great tips. We're great fans of Marriott Residence Inns.
We use them a lot while travelling,their loyalty points are quite generous, they're smaller and a bit less "cold", and they have bedroom suites which we like.
They're middle ground price wise, plus a generous breakfast is always included.
The Hyatt is obviously close to the airport, whereas Marriott was down the xway a bit, but where they're available I like to use them.
Next time we'll check out some of your highlights.
Thanks again.
The Hater_not really

Windsor, Canada

#4678 May 23, 2013
JJFADS-- if you hang around the airport much, check out the flight safety facility.
If you ask, sometimes they'll let you sit in a simulator while the "victims" are being put through the wringer.
You sit in the back seat, behind the pilots, next to the sim operator.
Visual and physical experiences are really realistic, and it's fun to watch victims sweating it out.
I will be going back there again. It really makes for much better airmanship.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#4679 May 23, 2013
The Lover wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't realize Volt sales are up 4%
Wifey says:
What difference does that make...

the obamamobiles are only sold to dealers and the rentals...

as a matter of fact there was a study that found those who buy the domestics are in the lower IQ...

and its gov motors who still on the Tax Payers dime...

that pays them to sell anything.

Too Funny.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#4680 May 23, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
What difference does that make...

the obamamobiles are only sold to dealers and the rentals...

as a matter of fact there was a study that found those who buy the domestics are in the lower IQ...

and its gov motors who still on the Tax Payers dime...

that pays them to sell anything.

Too Funny.
That's very true...

and since obama has the domestics on charity funds...

they pay no Taxes whatsoever.

Too Funny.
The Lover

United States

#4681 May 23, 2013
The Hater_not really wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the right number is 3.2 Percent
2012 First Quarter Sales.......5377
2013 First Quarter Sales.......5550
Increase 2013 over 2012.........173
That's close enough for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevrolet Cobalt under investigation for power-... (Feb '10) Tue Babygirl 61
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download (Oct '15) Tue pisty10 28
News There Won't Be A Donald Trump Inaugural License... Tue Second Amendment ... 3
V11.00.017 Toyota TIS Techstream Free Download (Feb '16) Jan 15 Jdail2002 13
2018 Ford F-150 - New grille, front, headlights... Jan 15 VanjaIbanez 1
2020 Ford Bronco Jan 15 VanjaIbanez 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Jan 14 Pierre 297
More from around the web