Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11780 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#4642 May 22, 2013
Vega Cor Volt 2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
That goes without saying, and even better if it's grown in Michigan.
http://www.michiganorganic.msu.edu/uploads/fi...
We grow better garlic down here.
The Hater

Hamilton, Canada

#4643 May 22, 2013
The "Faker Faker" is really into the kinky stuff.
I love the kinky stuff. It turns me on.
Doing an impressive job of relocating the IP though. I wonder if he can beat me at hide the ding dong?
Nevertheless, try as you may "Faker", your perverted tactics won't be around for long hot dog.
All it takes is 2 minutes to click on "Please Abuse my Butt ", and your offensive vulgarity is history.
You certainly have all the earmarks of a rather twisted individual and that gets me excited.
Vega Cor Volt 2013

Florham Park, NJ

#4644 May 22, 2013
Does anyone know if the Volts OnStar system is capable of pumping Musak into the Volt like they do at iluvmyvolt's chevy dealer garage concert series? Nothing like a free concerts on a Sunday afternoon.
The Original Hater

United States

#4645 May 22, 2013
Ewee I love Muzak. When I'm at the bath house I have Bob rub me down and we play tickles to it.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4646 May 22, 2013
What We Don't Like About Volt. Cars.com

The brakes: Our three main complaints about the Volt are the brakes, the brakes and the brakes. I thought the pedal felt pretty decent compared with hybrids when I first reviewed the car last autumn, but we've all come to loathe our Volt's brakes for the dead zone over the first inch or so of pedal travel and the mushiness thereafter. Awkward nosedive braking is all but assured when parking. In an otherwise impressive driving experience, it's a major downer, and something you experience every single time you drive, making it a potential deal-breaker for shoppers.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4647 May 22, 2013

Interior space: The moms and dads on staff found one of the Volt's other major shortcomings, and that's limited space for child-safety seats. Frankly, our editors are split on the issue of backseat space for adults, because some object to begging legroom from front occupants and/or they don't like the high center console between the two seats. But when it comes to child-safety seats, there's about as much room for argument as there is for the seats themselves. The Volt has no center position, and the console crowds the child-safety seats and complicates their installation. Even if you seldom use the center position in a car's backseat, it's valuable overspill area for a child seat.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4648 May 22, 2013

Another shortcoming is one you don't experience every time you drive, and that's the premium gas requirement. If you run electric-only, all is well, but cars like the Volt are often purchased to save money on fuel (if not the car itself). Premium gas is the province of luxury and high-performance cars, and likely Volt buyers have never touched a premium nozzle in their lives. At an estimated 37 mpg once the engine turns on, the Volt is reasonably efficient, but more affordable cars with comparable interior space are now pushing 40 mpg on regular gas. Having the on-board generator as a backup is key to the Volt's "value proposition," but the incongruity of filling it with premium fuel when the battery runs out is its own kind of penalty. It isn't as bad as getting stranded in a purely battery-electric car, but it's a monetary and existential penalty regardless
The Hater

United States

#4649 May 22, 2013
I think the Volt is a really nice car.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4650 May 22, 2013
As I was sitting and thinking, it dawned on me to ask the question; how can a car become so controversial “hated” by some and at the same time adored by its owners? Could it be the appearance of the car that drives some away? Or is it the politics involved? What is that driving factor that would bring people out of the woodwork to “hate” an automobile? After all, in this country most people purchase what they like, and what they don’t like they usually don’t purchase.

It got me wondering, just what is the future of the Volt? Will GM kill the Volt or will they push forward with improvements? Should the original Volt have been a Buick or Cadillac? Some would say yes and yes. Sometimes I’m inclined to agree. Just where in the Chevy lineup does an expensive compact fit anyhow?

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#4651 May 22, 2013
Root wrote:
As I was sitting and thinking, it dawned on me to ask the question; how can a car become so controversial “hated” by some and at the same time adored by its owners? Could it be the appearance of the car that drives some away? Or is it the politics involved? What is that driving factor that would bring people out of the woodwork to “hate” an automobile? After all, in this country most people purchase what they like, and what they don’t like they usually don’t purchase.
It got me wondering, just what is the future of the Volt? Will GM kill the Volt or will they push forward with improvements? Should the original Volt have been a Buick or Cadillac? Some would say yes and yes. Sometimes I’m inclined to agree. Just where in the Chevy lineup does an expensive compact fit anyhow?
VOLTEC will continue. Currently the production costs are being reduced to allow considerable price reductions on future models. To understand VOLTEC as a whole one needs to delve into the fundamental makeup of the car itself. Weight will be reduced as well. Many parts on the current Volt are not optimized for that offering and newer parts will be lighter. For now look at current VOLTEC as the precursor to amortization, and right around the corner is VOLLTEC 2.0. VOLTEC is a long term investment that will flourish in the future across more than a few models and built in more than one factory thus driving production cost down.

If you look into the likes or dislikes, you will find most people that don’t like the car are victims of media slander which is either not true or derived from hack pieces. This is what we refer to as the Low Information crowd. Many people really believe some of the outrageous claims and many of them know no different. If you ran a poll and asked if the Volt was developed with bailout tax payer money, most would say yes. I would be willing to bet if you asked the question “was Volt rushed to market” many would say yes. In time these people will fade as they always do.
Vega Cor Volt 2013

Newtown, CT

#4652 May 22, 2013
A younger Volt lover wishing Chevy could drop the VOLTEC drive train in this classic.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/0...
dr fill

Naperville, IL

#4653 May 22, 2013
Vega Cor Volt 2013 wrote:
A younger Volt lover wishing Chevy could drop the VOLTEC drive train in this classic.
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/0...
Homo alert!!!!!! Run folks Run!!!!!!
The Hater_Not Really

Windsor, Canada

#4654 May 22, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>
VOLTEC will continue. Currently the production costs are being reduced to allow considerable price reductions on future models. To understand VOLTEC as a whole one needs to delve into the fundamental makeup of the car itself. Weight will be reduced as well. Many parts on the current Volt are not optimized for that offering and newer parts will be lighter. For now look at current VOLTEC as the precursor to amortization, and right around the corner is VOLLTEC 2.0. VOLTEC is a long term investment that will flourish in the future across more than a few models and built in more than one factory thus driving production cost down.
If you look into the likes or dislikes, you will find most people that don’t like the car are victims of media slander which is either not true or derived from hack pieces. This is what we refer to as the Low Information crowd. Many people really believe some of the outrageous claims and many of them know no different. If you ran a poll and asked if the Volt was developed with bailout tax payer money, most would say yes. I would be willing to bet if you asked the question “was Volt rushed to market” many would say yes. In time these people will fade as they always do.
Good post. One of the more sensible ones lately!
Agree with just about all of your first paragraph, but there are a couple of points in your second which I don't think are quite correct. Perhaps a bit of speculation there?
Maybe next time I'm in your city it would be fun to sit down over some good grape and have at it.(Visited twice so far this year!)
Contrary to the opinions of some here, I'm really not against the Volt and others of it's genre, altho' I do believe quite strongly that some here have taken the "like or dislike" contention far too seriously. I got into that a bit as you know and had a little fun with it.
I also believe it will be some time (perhaps even a generation)before the car buying public on this continent will be switching to these vehicles in huge quantities.
There will no doubt be be quite a culture change taking place as well, as these vehicles do become much bigger players in our lives.
The era of pickups, SUVs,big crossovers, etc, isn't going to go away overnight.
The era of gasoline and oil will be around for quite a while, unfortunately.
As well, I believe there will continue to be improvements in fuel economies, plus much more development of alternate motive technologies in the interim.
May be continued later.
Will wait and see if this post attracts more of the usual nonsense.
Vega Cor Volt 2013

Newtown, CT

#4655 May 22, 2013
dr fill wrote:
<quoted text> Homo alert!!!!!! Run folks Run!!!!!!
Makes you wonder just what iluvmyvolt means when he refers to himself as a "pole climber".
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#4656 May 22, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. I consider the Volt a well-engineered, well-built vehicle. Perhaps built for a niche market at present. However, many of us "old guys" recall the old GM and their history of different idea cars: Corvair, "rope drive" Tempest, Reatta, Fiero, Allante and the Saturn/Pontiac sports cars etc. All excellent ideas but for various reasons left to die on the vine. It would be a shame for the Volt to meet that fate. And I don't expect it will.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4657 May 22, 2013
From the link:

" In addition, if a driver goes a full year without filling up the gas tank, the system will come on and run the Volt's generator engine until all of the old gas in the tank is used. This forces the driver to go fill up the tank with fresh fuel."

http://www.karldirect.com/blog/special-gas-ta...

From the link:

" the vehicle's computer system detects that more than 12 months have passed since the Volt's fuel was last replaced, it will run the engine long enough to consume all the gasoline that has been sitting in the tank for that period - or until the driver stops at a gas station and adds some new fuel to the mix."

http://www.autobytel.com/chevrolet/volt/2011/...

And yes, I did make an error about the tank. It is a presurized tank. The tank is presurized to keep moisture out.

It had been so long since I read these links that I forgot. I didn't think anybody would not believe a Volt owner when it comes to knowing their cars. As I said, it took 9 months of not buying gas before my car burned half of it off (1 gallon).

The maintenance mode every 1,000 miles is not related to stale gas. It is only to lubricate the gas generator. It only runs for about 3 - 5 minutes and at a very slow idle. The car remains in electric mode while the generator runs to lubricate itself.

The Volt will not burn off all the gas. Only enough to make the owner put new gas to refresh the gas already in the tank.

" or until the driver stops at a gas station and adds some new fuel to the mix."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4658 May 22, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>Please tone it down.
Don't get him wrong ... he likes the Volt.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4659 May 22, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know that those people will fade away. The farther than right wing has given their followers the order not to buy the Volt. They will never buy the Volt.

They have closed their minds to the fact that this is a Bush era car and the dream of a Republican conservative (Bob Lutz).

Facts aren't in their vocabulary.

However, considering that 40% of the population are robotically following their master controllers, the Volt is selling very well.

The hater points to the Volt's slow sales in the first 4 months. What he fails to point out is that all car manufacturers are facing slow sales. Just google "car sales slow in 2013", you will get a whole slew of links.

But, Volt sales are still 4% ahead of last year, and last year, sales tripled over 2011.

That looks rosy to me. My glass isn't half empty.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4660 May 22, 2013
Once again, 311 miles. 45 mpg +.

Once again, you can see the car switching to E mode for short distances. You add those E miles to the EPA's 37 mpg and you get well over 37 mpg.

From his video. This is a note underneath the screen.

"Check out one of the first documented long distance trips in the new Chevrolet Volt. This ten hour trip was from Virginia to Atlanta, Georgia. View the features that the Volt incorporates to switch back and forth from Gas to Electric"

Once again. Fuel-Sipper Smackdown. 230 miles highway. Chevy Volt, 45 mpg +.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Once again, mpgomatic drives the volt 600 miles. They get 43 mpg in gas mode, just like most Volt owners.

They state this at 1:11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

FYI, premium gas gives more spark. The Volt is more efficient with premium gas. The difference in price is made up by the efficiency.

Had regular gas been used, the Volts mpg probably would have been an actual 37 mpg and the haters would be complaining even more.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4661 May 22, 2013

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BMW motor diagnosis & programming solutions 20 hr lalaura 1
OBDSTAR F109 scanner special for SUZUKI with Im... Sun uobd2 1
News Here's what a $500 million lawsuit against NASC... Sep 24 Kimmull2324 1
KTAG ECU Programming tool Using Tips (Mar '16) Sep 23 uobd2 5
The most powerful key programmer Key PRO M8 (Oct '13) Sep 22 fsafs 4
SKP-900 V4.2 Update information (will release s... Sep 21 car-diagnostic-tool 4
Xtool EZ500 success on Jeep Wrangler 2008 and F... Sep 21 car-diagnostic-tool 2
More from around the web