Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: taintedgreen.com 9,219

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Full Story
Professor Pepperwinkle

Bronx, NY

#4511 May 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
The person who wrote this article that the hater posted was wrong on several levels and admitted so in the first sentence of the paragraph entitled
"Volt Gets 200 MPG Plus"
From the haters link:
"4/14/2013 This section, rescinded by the author, who concedes that his original premise was incorrect and who is not interested in re-writing this section to make it correct."
http://carnewscafe.com/2013/04/top-5-misconce...
He admits he was wrong and then refuses to re-write. Sounds like a hater to me. He did rescind, but it still appears in his article.
From the link:
"The engine must also run to provide heating or air conditioning for the passengers."
Wrong!!!!! My engine (nor any other Volt owner's engine) has never come on when AC or heating is on, except when I was in gas mode anyway. But the engine was already on!!! Duh!!! This is an absolute false statement. It is obvious that this person didn't even check that statement for accuracy. A simple call to GM or any Volt owner would have stopped him from embarrassing himself.
From the link:
"Added 4/13/2013: No combustion engine in the world is capable of 200+ MPG. Not even the Volt’s. To include any other fuel source into the MPG measurement is to instead measure miles per gallon equivalent, not the actual MPG. THIS IS WHAT THE VOLT'S ON-DASH READOUT IS GIVING, NOT ACTUAL MPG"
He is talking about the GAS ENGINE MPG ONLY. When I say, I have driven 11,000 miles and used only 25 gallons of gas, that is 440 mpg. This idiot who wrote this article thinks Volt owners are talking about gas only mpg.
Read it again haters: " To include any other fuel source (like electric?) into the MPG measurement is to instead measure miles per gallon equivalent, N O T T H E A C T U A L MPG."
Exactly! It is the actual mpg for the car. We don't care about the actual mpg for gas miles only because that isn't the purpose of the car!!! If a car travels 100 miles and uses only 1 gallon of gas, his mpg is 100 mpg minus charging costs.
He is talking about gas mpg only!!!! This hater refused to re-write this paragraph because he knew other haters would grab on and keep it forever and ever. In spite of the fact that he admits that he was wrong!!!
He also states that high octane fuel has less shelf life than regular. This is another falsehood. They have the same shelf life. In fact, there are reports that high octane stores a little longer.
I think this hater wrote this article, knowing that other haters would read it and not even notice that he was talking about gas mpg only.
I will be the first to admit, my gas mpg is nowhere near 440 mpg. So what? The hater saw this article and failed to read into it to get the true meaning of what the author was saying.
You should read the links you post, hater. Next time you won't embarrass yourself so much.
Who Cares!
Professor Pepperwinkle

Bronx, NY

#4513 May 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
The Chevy Volt's gas tank is a stainless steel, vacuum sealed tank.
When the operator presses the gas door button, a message appears on the dash screen telling the person to wait for the car to allow air into the system.
When the gas door is closed, the air is pumped out of the tank, thus creating a vacuum.
Gas can last for years in a vacuum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ywODG7QEFZwXX
Wow
Professor Pepperwinkle

Bronx, NY

#4514 May 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
The difference between Volt's "plastic" and others? GM engineering. This is one of the reasons why the SAE named the Volt "Best Engineered Car".
From the link:
"The design topped all contenders in the Powertrain category at the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) 2011 Automotive Innovation Awards competition."
http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/chevy...
Who cares?
Professor Pepperwinkle

Bronx, NY

#4515 May 21, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
People who think the Chevy's IndyCar racing engine  is strictly a product of Llmor Engineering are sadly misinformed. Some open mouth and insert foot.
Llmor engineering is but a part of a team. The GM Global Advanced & Race Engine Engineering group is the main force behind the engine. The humble engineers from GM give credit to all members of the team. Unlike haters who claim only a single member of the team did all of the work.
In the end, GM put together the winning team.
http://prattmiller.com/news/article/169
From the link:
“Even though the four of us were individually recognized, it was the entire team that deserved recognition,” Kent said.“This award would not have been possible without the significant contributions by the GM Global Advanced & Race Engine Engineering group, Ilmor Engineering, Hitachi and our Chevrolet IndyCar teams"
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/chevr...
What an ignoramus!
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4516 May 21, 2013
What Luvmyvolt claims is untrue.
Gasoline will go "stale" no matter what material a gas tank is made of.
Gasoline in a vacuum (volts "vacuum" isn't really much of a vacuum anyway), will slow down the degradation only slightly.
He tends to embellish.
Professor Pepperwinkle

Bronx, NY

#4517 May 21, 2013
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo wrote:
Luvmyvolt seems to put a huge effort into defending his purchase of a Volt.
Something akin to a religious zealot according to one columnist.
Luvmyvolt also seems to regard anyone who speaks to his passion for Volt as a "hater"
Yet the words "hate, hatred, hater" etc seem to come far more from him than those he accuses.
One wonders who hates who?
LMV is a miser! He is consumed with sleazing free electricity, and defending his purchase of the dopey Volt. Even his relatives find him obnoxious.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4518 May 21, 2013
Luvmyvolt (as usual) embellishes his rebuttal about Limor Engineering being contracted to GM to design GMs Indy Car engines.
Nobody said Limor was the only participant.
Luvmyvolt has taken a tad "poetic licence" in implying that was said.
But Limor did do all of the engineering and development for those engines.
GM, Hitachi, provided input re specifications.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4519 May 21, 2013
Professor Pepperwinkle wrote:
<quoted text>
LMV is a miser! He is consumed with sleazing free electricity, and defending his purchase of the dopey Volt. Even his relatives find him obnoxious.
He certainly exhibits all the characteristics of a tightwad.
Also, he exhibits more "hatred" than those he accuses of it.
Just an old, insecure, and and cranky guy trying vainly to establish his relevance in his world perhaps?

He calls me a "hater" so often that I decided to change my screen name.
Maybe you should do the same?
What about "Hater 2".
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4520 May 21, 2013
Then Echo could be "Hater 3", and so on.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4521 May 21, 2013
The Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
He certainly exhibits all the characteristics of a tightwad.
Also, he exhibits more "hatred" than those he accuses of it.
Just an old, insecure, and and cranky guy trying vainly to establish his relevance in his world perhaps?
He calls me a "hater" so often that I decided to change my screen name.
Maybe you should do the same?
What about "Hater 2".
So your personality change from the stroke was temporary?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4522 May 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
The person who wrote this article that the hater posted was wrong on several levels and admitted so in the first sentence of the paragraph entitled
"Volt Gets 200 MPG Plus"
From the haters link:
"4/14/2013 This section, rescinded by the author, who concedes that his original premise was incorrect and who is not interested in re-writing this section to make it correct."
He admits he was wrong and then refuses to re-write. Sounds like a hater to me. He did rescind, but it still appears in his article.
From the link:
"The engine must also run to provide heating or air conditioning for the passengers."
Wrong!!!!! My engine (nor any other Volt owner's engine) has never come on when AC or heating is on, except when I was in gas mode anyway. But the engine was already on!!! Duh!!! This is an absolute false statement. It is obvious that this person didn't even check that statement for accuracy. A simple call to GM or any Volt owner would have stopped him from embarrassing himself.
From the link:
"Added 4/13/2013: No combustion engine in the world is capable of 200+ MPG. Not even the Volt’s. To include any other fuel source into the MPG measurement is to instead measure miles per gallon equivalent, not the actual MPG. THIS IS WHAT THE VOLT'S ON-DASH READOUT IS GIVING, NOT ACTUAL MPG"
He is talking about the GAS ENGINE MPG ONLY. When I say, I have driven 11,000 miles and used only 25 gallons of gas, that is 440 mpg. This idiot who wrote this article thinks Volt owners are talking about gas only mpg.
Read it again haters: " To include any other fuel source (like electric?) into the MPG measurement is to instead measure miles per gallon equivalent, N O T T H E A C T U A L MPG."
Exactly! It is the actual mpg for the car. We don't care about the actual mpg for gas miles only because that isn't the purpose of the car!!! If a car travels 100 miles and uses only 1 gallon of gas, his mpg is 100 mpg minus charging costs.
He is talking about gas mpg only!!!! This hater refused to re-write this paragraph because he knew other haters would grab on and keep it forever and ever. In spite of the fact that he admits that he was wrong!!!
He also states that high octane fuel has less shelf life than regular. This is another falsehood. They have the same shelf life. In fact, there are reports that high octane stores a little longer.
I think this hater wrote this article, knowing that other haters would read it and not even notice that he was talking about gas mpg only.
I will be the first to admit, my gas mpg is nowhere near 440 mpg. So what? The hater saw this article and failed to read into it to get the true meaning of what the author was saying.
You should read the links you post, hater. Next time you won't embarrass yourself so much.
The hater got his bottom spanked, good job. The hater will often find something on the internet and post it as truth. It's easy to see. Volt is great!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4523 May 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
The assumption that the idiot who wrote the article made is that the Volt will burn off all the gas if it begins to go stale.(The haters posted article).
First of all, the gas doesn't go stale. Gas, when stored in a tank, such as the Volt can last for years.
http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Maintenance-Mo...
From the link:
"I don't advise using older fuel in expensive engines unless testing, but gasoline can hold for months and years if properly stored."
The engineers at GM picked a specific time to burn off some of the gas if pure electric has been used for months. The car does not, repeat, not burn off all of the gas. It only burns off enough so that just a few gallons added to the gas left over will extend the life of the fuel.
Most Volt owners report the gas doesn't burn off until about 10 - 12 months of pure electric. I only had 2 gallons in my tank when I got the message that the car was going to burn off some gas due to an extended period of time of no fuel used. It burned off 1 gallon. I had not used gas in 9 months. In those 9 months, I drove about 7,000 miles. During that time, my generator turned on 6 times to keep itself lubed. Less than .5 gallons were used for those 6 times. That means my car used 1.5 gallons of gas for those 7,000 miles.
I added 2 gallons and everything was fine and dandy.
Now, driving 40 miles electric per day for 10 months would be 12,000 of electric only driving. If the car only burns off half of a full tank, and about 1 gallon for all the engine maintenance procedures, that would be 12,000 miles driven using 5.5 gallons of gas.
Very true, the gasoline in a Volt will not go stale (the car will burn it off before this happens)and gas in a vacuum stays good for much longer. Again, the hater has selective reading. Good job on you and great job Volt engineers.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4524 May 21, 2013
No at all Root.
Just decided that because you bozoz call me a Hater all the time, I should at least take the name.

By the way, we in Canada have just heard the news about the horrific devastation from a tornado near Oklahoma City.

Outr thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of that disaster.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4525 May 21, 2013
The Hater wrote:
Luvmyvolt (as usual) embellishes his rebuttal about Limor Engineering being contracted to GM to design GMs Indy Car engines.
GM, Hitachi, provided input re specifications.
"provided input re specifications" aka known as design/engineering. What do you have against this company anyway. They are also contracted by lots of other companies. This is no different than a supplier making parts for a door or an instrument panel.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4526 May 21, 2013
Hater is roaring, Volt is great!
Silent Echo

United States

#4527 May 21, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
You know dolt, you are such a pathetic, little human being. And I use the term human being loosely.
Whoever is using your name obviously hates you. I don't hate you.
To quote Sixto Rodriguez:
"Hatred is too strong of an emotion to waste on someone you don't like."
I take great pleasure in knowing that you are a failure in debating me. You attack my grand daughter because you can't attack me on an intellectual level. Probably on any subject. I know it burns you that you have been one upped by someone you hate.
I don't need to hide behind your name to make you look bad. You make yourself look bad!
You wallow because that is all you have left. Your buddy from Canada loves your posts because he is letting you do his dirty work. Even to the point of attacking little 10 year old girls.
If you dare try debating me on an intellectual level, I'm here. Awaiting.
Otherwise, go ahead and wallow. You make yourself the buffoon.
You are the one who introduced the little slut into this thread, not me, ergo you were the one who made her a target.

As for anybody who hates me or does not, WHO CARES? You keep talking about yourself as some sort of expert on anything and everything you talk about, that is a joke. I give for example your statement about gas not going stale and can be stored for years.

Gas does in fact go stale, ever hear of condensation? Ever hear of replacing bad gas in a boat or lawnmower after a winter of storage? The real facts (admitted to be GM) are that the volt gets about 30 to 35 miles off of an electric charge, depending on several considerations such as but not limited to. The way you drive, the type of terrain you are driving, whether you use either the heater or air conditioner while you are driving. The next real world fact about a volt is that on a 100 mile trip the volt will do the first 30 to 35 miles on electric and the next 65 to 70 on gas at about 33 mpg, ergo the volt takes about 2 gallons of gas to do the first hundred miles where the elantra takes three making a giant savings of one gallon at a price of between $3.25 to 4.00 and the driver of the elantra will not suffer penalty from using heater or air conditioner. Now I know you will bring up your daily trips for food and other things, however, the real world solution to this is that more and more towns and cities are allowing the "Estate Car" to be used for this reason at a cost of less than $2.000 if you are smart and know where to shop. Oh yes, unless you are unable to do physical activity there is always the old, tried and true bicycle that can be used. You will be glad to know that there are many communities where people who commute on bikes can park them free of charge and meet at local meeting places to celebrate their new found good health.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4528 May 21, 2013
Meanwhile, his country suffers another devastating disaster, and Root continues his crusade of vitriol and hate....

BTW Root----What Luvmyvolt claims is untrue.
Gasoline in a vacuum (volts "vacuum" isn't really much of a vacuum anyway), will only slow down the degradation slightly.
He tends to embellish his claims.

Don't worry, we will continue to help you by correcting your misinterpretations.
The Hater

Windsor, Canada

#4529 May 21, 2013
Read this again Root...slowly.....

"Luvmyvolt (as usual) embellishes his rebuttal about Limor Engineering being contracted to GM to design GMs Indy Car engines.
GM, Hitachi, provided input re specifications"

Where in this explanation does it say that I have something against GM contracting out?

In the meantime, have you no regard for the victims of that tornado in Oklahoma?
Must you continue with your vulgarity and nonsense?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4530 May 21, 2013
The Hater wrote:
Meanwhile, his country suffers another devastating disaster, and Root continues his crusade of vitriol and hate....
BTW Root----What Luvmyvolt claims is untrue.
Gasoline in a vacuum (volts "vacuum" isn't really much of a vacuum anyway), will only slow down the degradation slightly.
He tends to embellish his claims.
Don't worry, we will continue to help you by correcting your misinterpretations.
see more
You are wrong again. The Volt will not allow the gas to go stale.

You also forget to mention the rest of his post. Like the real hater you are, you intentionally omit what he says and instead apply selective reading.

Read the parts you omit:

Gas, when stored in a tank, such as the Volt can last for years.
gasoline can hold for months and years if properly stored."

The engineers at GM picked a specific time to burn off some of the gas if pure electric has been used for months. The car does not, repeat, not burn off all of the gas. It only burns off enough so that just a few gallons added to the gas left over will extend the life of the fuel.

The Chevy Volt's gas tank is a stainless steel, vacuum sealed tank.

When the operator presses the gas door button, a message appears on the dash screen telling the person to wait for the car to allow air into the system.

When the gas door is closed, the air is pumped out of the tank, thus creating a vacuum.

Gas can last for years in a vacuum.

So why do you omit everything that he said in his posts? Selective readin perhaps? Yes
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4531 May 21, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who introduced the little slut into this thread, not me, ergo you were the one who made her a target.
As for anybody who hates me or does not, WHO CARES? You keep talking about yourself as some sort of expert on anything and everything you talk about, that is a joke. I give for example your statement about gas not going stale and can be stored for years.
Gas does in fact go stale, ever hear of condensation? Ever hear of replacing bad gas in a boat or lawnmower after a winter of storage? The real facts (admitted to be GM) are that the volt gets about 30 to 35 miles off of an electric charge, depending on several considerations such as but not limited to. The way you drive, the type of terrain you are driving, whether you use either the heater or air conditioner while you are driving. The next real world fact about a volt is that on a 100 mile trip the volt will do the first 30 to 35 miles on electric and the next 65 to 70 on gas at about 33 mpg, ergo the volt takes about 2 gallons of gas to do the first hundred miles where the elantra takes three making a giant savings of one gallon at a price of between $3.25 to 4.00 and the driver of the elantra will not suffer penalty from using heater or air conditioner. Now I know you will bring up your daily trips for food and other things, however, the real world solution to this is that more and more towns and cities are allowing the "Estate Car" to be used for this reason at a cost of less than $2.000 if you are smart and know where to shop. Oh yes, unless you are unable to do physical activity there is always the old, tried and true bicycle that can be used. You will be glad to know that there are many communities where people who commute on bikes can park them free of charge and meet at local meeting places to celebrate their new found good health.
Add these two facts and your statement turns into propaganda:

Gas in the Volt will not go bad.

You can get up to 50 miles on electric charge in a Volt.

Psst. you should leave little girls out of your prop.. pretty nasty even for a person of your limited reasoning abilities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If Mazda Created A Mid-Engine Rotary Powered RX... Tue ewe 1
Chevrolet Cobalt under investigation for power-... (Feb '10) Tue Brittany Demastus 52
Car Loan with Bad Credit: It is possible Sep 28 tomvargo706 2
Toyota Engine Problems (Mar '08) Sep 26 Bob Fitz 281
Junk My Car, Auto Salvage, Cash for Cars, ... (Jan '12) Sep 26 Eugene Dean 12
India's $74M Mars mission cost less than 'Gravity' Sep 26 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Volkswagen Phaeton To MSRP For $70K - How Many ... Sep 25 shykora paul arts 1

Autos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE