Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11775 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Gizmo-The Real Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#4477 May 19, 2013
Make that "an IPad with 3 or 4G capable".
My bad.

The games some folks play.
Dominic

Toronto, Canada

#4478 May 19, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
I have a deep and well oiled piston wall.
Stop playing games. Your fooling no one. Just acting like a hormonal teenager is all. Probably not even legal age.
Silent Echo

Chicago, IL

#4480 May 19, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
I have a deep and well oiled piston wall.
Hey there Mr. Iluvvolt, your description sounds more like your granddaughter.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4481 May 19, 2013
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Volt "pragmatist" (not a hater!!)
Prove your charge by showing us where I have ever "Hated" Volt.
You won't be able to.
The figure of 175K was not only old data--but far too high and to me was a sign that sales would be limited to high rollers--a negative effect on sales.
I tried to tone it down a bit by posting how old that number was, and show the new lower paradigm---what I believed may be a positive for sales.
For some unknown reason you've taken offence and gone nuts with rebuttals.
There was no offence intended.
One more thing.
Please stop posting under my screen name, and stop the vulgarity.
Use your smart phone as a phone, and not as a cowardly disguise.
Are you incapable of any sort of intellectual response and must only resort to using filth..?
In order to disprove an opponent the challenger must at minimum provide a factual point; you have yet to do that. This is why I asked for your link.
You have not received rebuttals to your “informal polls” which you take as word. You have received the data that IS known. Until GM releases the next data you are stuck in the mud.

Your next argument is the hater confusion. You get it wrong again. Learn the definition of hater, check back.

Now we move on to your next funk. I am now Gizmo. After being accused of Love Volt via internet masking software, Volt being me, me as JJfads, Cookies will get that guy banned” etc.

All this while extracting more information out of you.
Taste me, you will see more is all you need
Dedicated to How I'm killing you
Come crawling faster
Obey your master
Your life burns faster
Obey your master, master
Master of puppets, pulling your strings
Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name, I'll hear you scream
Master, master

You’ve been exposed as the fool you are.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4482 May 19, 2013
In just a few days there will be:

10,000,000 gallons of fuel saved by Volt drivers
About $35,000,000 dollars saved
Almost $1,000 average per owner. Much more for owners who have owned their cars more than a year.

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht...

190,000,000 electric miles driven = 4,750,000 charges
4,750,000 charges at an average of $1.43 per charge =$6,792,500 charging costs.
3.6 cents per mile average.

At $3.60 per gallon, that equates to 100 mpg.

Note: Average national charging costs are not figured at off peak hours cost. They are figured at peak time costs. Most volts are being charged during off peak hours.

In California, where most Volts are sold, off peak rates are about 3.7 cents per kwh. This would bring the cost per mile down to well under 3 cents. Thus, the true cost per mile for most Volt drivers in CA is about 2.5 cents.

At $3.64 a gallon (average price for gas as of 5/18,2013) that equates to 145 mpg.

What an awesome car.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4484 May 19, 2013

10,000,000 gallons of fuel saved by Volt drivers. About $35 million saved. Almost $1,000 average per owner. Much more for owners who have owned their cars more than a year.

H O W E V E R:

Average national charging costs are not figured at off peak hours cost. They are figured at peak time costs. Most volts are being charged during off peak hours.

In California, where most Volts are sold, off peak rates are about 3.7 cents per kwh. A full charge would cost 48 cents. This would bring the cost per mile down to well under 3 cents. Thus, the true cost per mile for most Volt drivers in CA is about 1.5 cents. We'll make that 2 cents.

At $3.64 a gallon (average price for 5/18,2013) that equates to 182 mpg.

What an awesome car.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4485 May 19, 2013
Cadillac ELR on demand regenerative actions using a paddle "shifter".

The Tesla S on demand regenerative actions requires you to use the screen prompts.

Gizmo-The Real Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#4486 May 20, 2013
Let's put LMVs claims to the test of reality.
(A pragmatic approach, not an expression of "hate" as LMV tends to lean on.)

Yes, Volts have not used a lot of gasoline.
But describing this as "saved" must be balanced by costs.
It costs Volt buyers, not to mention Fed and State taxpayers, to buy Volts.

First, one must consider the credits (aka costs) provided by Fed and State governments (aka taxpayers).
Billions.
Do the math--units sold times $7500 per unit...billions

Now what about the stock swap provided by the Feds.(aka taxpayer)
Bought at $65 per share, selling at $30.
Billions.(Aka costs)
Do the math.
Billions.

Then what about the average 5 years it takes to amortize the higher cost of Volt.
Isn't this a cost? Most would agree.

Last but not least is the trade off Volt owners must live with.
Another cost.
If Volt is only used for local commuting, sure, gas is not used.
But on extended range use, gas is used, and Volt's economy isn't much different from a regular econobox.

So this is just a pragmatic approach, looking at both sides of the cost/savings equation.
Before raising flags for Volt, this really should be a consideration.
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#4487 May 20, 2013
This quote from a recent article tells the real story about claims of high mileage Volt use.

"Claims of averaging over 200 MPG (some as high as 800 or more) over several months are just patently untrue. There is no way, pragmatically, that this could be done unless the fuel tank were completely drained (not a good idea long-term) and the vehicle were driven 100% electric. At that point, the owner may as well have just bought a much cheaper LEAF as they obviously didn’t need the much more costly extended range Volt. Over a month’s time, 200 MPGe or a little better may be possible, but that is hardly a long term metric."
car guy

Naperville, IL

#4488 May 20, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Cadillac ELR on demand regenerative actions using a paddle "shifter".
The Tesla S on demand regenerative actions requires you to use the screen prompts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GQhK0PAPgkkXX
The volt has two holes in the floor boards so you can propel the car with your legs like fred flinstone!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
enquirer mind

Naperville, IL

#4489 May 20, 2013
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo wrote:
This quote from a recent article tells the real story about claims of high mileage Volt use.
"Claims of averaging over 200 MPG (some as high as 800 or more) over several months are just patently untrue. There is no way, pragmatically, that this could be done unless the fuel tank were completely drained (not a good idea long-term) and the vehicle were driven 100% electric. At that point, the owner may as well have just bought a much cheaper LEAF as they obviously didn’t need the much more costly extended range Volt. Over a month’s time, 200 MPGe or a little better may be possible, but that is hardly a long term metric."
Hey I am just gonna buy a all electric for all my local driving needs and rent a car for cross country trips.i hardly never go cross country so an all electric it the way to go.I dont like giving my money to them evil towel head bastards in the middle east.Every time I pump gas in my car I bite my tongue and mumble under my breath them rotten no good sons of bit##es!!!!!!
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#4490 May 20, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Master, master
You’ve been exposed as the fool you are.
Yes Root, I agree.
I am a fool.

A fool for trusting you.

Thought you agreed to stop those vulgar and filthy personal insults you are so well known for.

Thought you were going to stop posting those silly repetitive one liners you load up these forums with.

Thought you would stop taking ugly little potshots at other countries.

Thought you would stop the homophobic inferences against others you take issue with.

And last but not least, thought you would stop stealing other's screen names and wrapping all the above ugly and low down habits into posts under those names.

Yes Root, I am a fool---for trusting the promises of a person with no morals nor integrity.
I should hve known better than to trust a person who has repeatedly promised one thing and never delivered.

Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice, shame on you.

Who's the fool now, Root.
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#4491 May 20, 2013
enquirer mind wrote:
<quoted text> Hey I am just gonna buy a all electric for all my local driving needs and rent a car for cross country trips.i hardly never go cross country so an all electric it the way to go.I dont like giving my money to them evil towel head bastards in the middle east.Every time I pump gas in my car I bite my tongue and mumble under my breath them rotten no good sons of bit##es!!!!!!
Perhaps this quote might put your mind at ease...

"The fact is, the U.S. imports less than 15% of its oil from Middle Eastern sources and the vast majority of that oil is used for things other than fuel – overall, the U.S. produces about 60% of its own oil, importing only about 40%. Most of those imports go into making plastics which are, by the way, one of the largest components by volume in the Volt – or any other car you wish to name. In fact, electric vehicles like the Chevy Volt use more plastic than do conventional combustion-only vehicles because the battery cases and associated hardware are largely made of plastic.

Even if we removed all domestic passenger vehicles from petroleum fuels, our imports from Saudi Arabia and Iraq (the two top Middle Eastern sources for oil in the U.S.) would not likely decline."
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4492 May 20, 2013
Two things are very clear, yes you are a fool and you still don’t know what the term hater means.

There still remains the question of your mindset and what the next accusation will be in your never-ending barrage of accusations.

I’m let down that you would never let us have this one place to enjoy all things positive about Volt. It just wasn’t in you. Never was.. Speaks to character.

I’m glad the Volt gets hundreds of miles per gallon.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Silent Echo

Chicago, IL

#4493 May 20, 2013
Root wrote:
Two things are very clear, yes you are a fool and you still don’t know what the term hater means.
There still remains the question of your mindset and what the next accusation will be in your never-ending barrage of accusations.
I’m let down that you would never let us have this one place to enjoy all things positive about Volt. It just wasn’t in you. Never was.. Speaks to character.
I am, at least, glad that you stated "The Volt" and not your volt. It is obvious that you are a bandwagon cheerleader and have about as much knowledge as the average cheerleader has about sports. I also love these little idiots who talk about going total electric and renting a vehicle for trips, sounds like one of the retirement area mooks, a lot of them use their golf carts for the same thing a volt is good for and at far less cost.
I am thinking of buying a park trailer and lot in a resort off of Rt. 60 in Virginia and stay there about 50% of the time. Once you get there you park your car and can only use golf carts, either personal or rented. I was at a party/community cookout there last summer and one guy had his golf cart painted up with a volt looking grill and a volt script on the rear and he stated that was his total electric volt, minus the very large starting price.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gizmo-The Real Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#4495 May 20, 2013
Root wrote:
Yes Root, I agree.
I am a fool.

A fool for trusting you.

Thought you agreed to stop those vulgar and filthy personal insults you are so well known for.

Thought you were going to stop posting those silly repetitive one liners you load up these forums with.

Thought you would stop taking ugly little potshots at other countries.

Thought you would stop the homophobic inferences against others you take issue with.

And last but not least, thought you would stop stealing other's screen names and wrapping all the above ugly and low down habits into posts under those names.

Yes Root, I am a fool---for trusting the promises of a person with no morals nor integrity.
I should hve known better than to trust a person who has repeatedly promised one thing and never delivered.

Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice, shame on you.

Who's the fool now, Root.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4496 May 20, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
10,000,000 gallons of fuel saved by Volt drivers
About $35,000,000 dollars saved
Almost $1,000 average per owner. Much more for owners who have owned their cars more than a year.
Note: Average national charging costs are not figured at off peak hours cost. They are figured at peak time costs. Most volts are being charged during off peak hours.
In California, where most Volts are sold, off peak rates are about 3.7 cents per kwh. This would bring the cost per mile down to well under 3 cents. Thus, the true cost per mile for most Volt drivers in CA is about 2.5 cents.
At $3.64 a gallon (average price for gas as of 5/18,2013) that equates to 145 mpg.
What an awesome car.
That'a a lot of saved gas. When GM increased the distance up to 50 miles on electric, that helped the image of the car too.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4501 May 20, 2013
The person who wrote this article that the hater posted was wrong on several levels and admitted so in the first sentence of the paragraph entitled

"Volt Gets 200 MPG Plus"

From the haters link:

"4/14/2013 This section, rescinded by the author, who concedes that his original premise was incorrect and who is not interested in re-writing this section to make it correct."

http://carnewscafe.com/2013/04/top-5-misconce...

He admits he was wrong and then refuses to re-write. Sounds like a hater to me. He did rescind, but it still appears in his article.

From the link:

"The engine must also run to provide heating or air conditioning for the passengers."

Wrong!!!!! My engine (nor any other Volt owner's engine) has never come on when AC or heating is on, except when I was in gas mode anyway. But the engine was already on!!! Duh!!! This is an absolute false statement. It is obvious that this person didn't even check that statement for accuracy. A simple call to GM or any Volt owner would have stopped him from embarrassing himself.

From the link:

"Added 4/13/2013: No combustion engine in the world is capable of 200+ MPG. Not even the Volt’s. To include any other fuel source into the MPG measurement is to instead measure miles per gallon equivalent, not the actual MPG. THIS IS WHAT THE VOLT'S ON-DASH READOUT IS GIVING, NOT ACTUAL MPG"

He is talking about the GAS ENGINE MPG ONLY. When I say, I have driven 11,000 miles and used only 25 gallons of gas, that is 440 mpg. This idiot who wrote this article thinks Volt owners are talking about gas only mpg.

Read it again haters: " To include any other fuel source (like electric?) into the MPG measurement is to instead measure miles per gallon equivalent, N O T T H E A C T U A L MPG."

Exactly! It is the actual mpg for the car. We don't care about the actual mpg for gas miles only because that isn't the purpose of the car!!! If a car travels 100 miles and uses only 1 gallon of gas, his mpg is 100 mpg minus charging costs.

He is talking about gas mpg only!!!! This hater refused to re-write this paragraph because he knew other haters would grab on and keep it forever and ever. In spite of the fact that he admits that he was wrong!!!

He also states that high octane fuel has less shelf life than regular. This is another falsehood. They have the same shelf life. In fact, there are reports that high octane stores a little longer.

http://carnewscafe.com/2013/04/top-5-misconce...

I think this hater wrote this article, knowing that other haters would read it and not even notice that he was talking about gas mpg only.

I will be the first to admit, my gas mpg is nowhere near 440 mpg. So what? The hater saw this article and failed to read into it to get the true meaning of what the author was saying.

You should read the links you post, hater. Next time you won't embarrass yourself so much.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4502 May 20, 2013
The assumption that the idiot who wrote the article made is that the Volt will burn off all the gas if it begins to go stale.(The haters posted article).

First of all, the gas doesn't go stale. Gas, when stored in a tank, such as the Volt can last for years.

http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Maintenance-Mo...

From the link:

"I don't advise using older fuel in expensive engines unless testing, but gasoline can hold for months and years if properly stored."

The engineers at GM picked a specific time to burn off some of the gas if pure electric has been used for months. The car does not, repeat, not burn off all of the gas. It only burns off enough so that just a few gallons added to the gas left over will extend the life of the fuel.

Most Volt owners report the gas doesn't burn off until about 10 - 12 months of pure electric. I only had 2 gallons in my tank when I got the message that the car was going to burn off some gas due to an extended period of time of no fuel used. It burned off 1 gallon. I had not used gas in 9 months. In those 9 months, I drove about 7,000 miles. During that time, my generator turned on 6 times to keep itself lubed. Less than .5 gallons were used for those 6 times. That means my car used 1.5 gallons of gas for those 7,000 miles.

I added 2 gallons and everything was fine and dandy.

Now, driving 40 miles electric per day for 10 months would be 12,000 of electric only driving. If the car only burns off half of a full tank, and about 1 gallon for all the engine maintenance procedures, that would be 12,000 miles driven using 5.5 gallons of gas.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4503 May 20, 2013
The Chevy Volt's gas tank is a stainless steel, vacuum sealed tank.

When the operator presses the gas door button, a message appears on the dash screen telling the person to wait for the car to allow air into the system.

When the gas door is closed, the air is pumped out of the tank, thus creating a vacuum.

Gas can last for years in a vacuum.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pathfinder problems (Jan '06) 15 hr G-Style 400
Cost - effective Land Rover Jaguar VXDIAG VCX N... Fri uobd2 1
Renault diagnostic tool , choose COM Bluetooth ... Thu uobd2 1
OBDSTAR X300 PRO3 Key Master Update F108 PSA Pi... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 1
VVDI2 Commander Key Programmer Latest V1.2.5 Up... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 1
Renault-COM Bluetooth Diagnostic and Programmin... Dec 1 My Car repair Park 2
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Nov 30 hard at it 293
More from around the web