Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 20 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

omg

Arlington Heights, IL

#4262 May 14, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
GM reports the next gen. volt will be $7,000 to $10,000 cheaper than the first model. I may look into an ELR if their prices go down. Now that is a beautiful car!!!
Wow!! My back is killing me.I just got a ride in a volt and holy shit it rides like a go cart.WTF man!!!!
liner

Patchogue, NY

#4265 May 14, 2013
Root wrote:
Good news for sure. Nissan has been aggressively pushing Leaf sales hard with price cuts and good incentives. Its good Chevy is quickly responding with good lease rates and payment deals. I'm also happy to see just how good these cars are doing. They are beating what Prius did in the early days. Tesla also beat Mercedes and Audi sales.
Yes, Nissan has been using some pretty good TV ads for the Leaf, so apparently it's having an effect. By the way, you need to qualify your statement that Tesla beat Mercedes and Audi sales. Actually Tesla beat only certain models: Mercedes S Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8. Obviously you couldn't use all Mercedes, BMW or Audi sales.
I'm starting to see more and more Volts on the road lately, so they are taking hold in their market.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4267 May 14, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't overlook the impact of state and federal credits.
Without those, where would current sales be?
Back in the day, today's lucrative credits weren't available for those original hybrids.
I'll even bet that our resident skinflint LMV would have hesitated to buy his beloved Volt sans credits.
So would a lot of other potential buyers.
99.999% of buyers consider price as the main criteria.
Iím sure the sales for all the alternative energy cars would not be what they are without the tax credits.
To be fair you have to remember the original Prius did qualify for credits also and it was much cheaper. It was $19995 sold as a ULEV, making it eligible for the 2,000 credit deductable from income. That credit kept coming after that, for a foreign car, all the way up to today, where the priss phev also qualifies for the same credits the American Volt does.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4268 May 14, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Nissan has been using some pretty good TV ads for the Leaf, so apparently it's having an effect. By the way, you need to qualify your statement that Tesla beat Mercedes and Audi sales. Actually Tesla beat only certain models: Mercedes S Class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8. Obviously you couldn't use all Mercedes, BMW or Audi sales.
I'm starting to see more and more Volts on the road lately, so they are taking hold in their market.
Yep yep yep agree and yep about the models. I'm afraid the Tesla sales won't hold up though.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4269 May 14, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Yep yep yep agree and yep about the models. I'm afraid the Tesla sales won't hold up though.
So far this year, sales of battery only vehicles have exceeded EVs and Extended Range EVs.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4270 May 14, 2013
Why it is important to consider battery cooling systems in EV's.

Volts thermal cooling system.†High & low range is only 4 degrees.

http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-th...

Owners in hot climate areas report more than normal battery range loss.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/2012/09/19/n...

The Volt also loses range in very hot circumstances, but the energy used to keep the battery cool is minimal compared to the range lost if not cooled.

Some people are selling their leafs because of range anxiety.

http://hinessight.blogs.com/hinessight/2012/0...
Retired and Happy

Yankton, SD

#4271 May 14, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
I love the way the hater has created a new persona so he can attack me from both sides.†He even answers himself.†
Check out this line:
"however, we are all different and much like that world's tallest midget, in the real world you are just a fairly little man attempting to get as much attentin (his spelling) as possible."
He puts me down for some worldly advice about grand kids.†I must have really hit a sore spot.†But then he defends himself by saying we are all different.†But he can't stand the difference between him and me.
Too funny
Actually I never put you down, it is you who is quick to judge by how high you can climb the pole and how much time that is spent with grandchildren. You just can not understand that your family contacts are personal and should be just that. You actually think that you have hit a "Sore Spot"? It is obvious that topix is much more important to you than it is to me. Today I drove through the Lakota and Souix (Spelling ?) between Deadwood and Yankton SD and the Bad Lands were beautiful but not very populated. I rented a ford escape for the ride and to be honest I was not very impressed.
Well, Mr. Luvvolt, what are your plans this week, I think that I will tour Deadwood and perhaps drive back to Wall's Drug and tour all of the sights they have. I do know one thing, a volt would not work in South Dakota or Arizona because of distance between towns.

Well, you can take your runt back to an exciting Softball game and cheer for all of her walks and outs, that is your bag, not mine.
When I get back home I have already promised my Grandson to take him to the Flying Circus and let him take a ride in a WW-1 Bi Plane. On the Saturday before we will go to Summit Point with the Tear and camp out on Saturday night as the track is only about 50 miles from the Flying Circus. And yes, he does play ball as did I and his father and the family did attend, however we did not limit ourselves to free entertainment.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4272 May 14, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Yep yep yep agree and yep about the models. I'm afraid the Tesla sales won't hold up though.
20,000 pre-sales. My son bought Tesla shares at $25. It has gained much, but I told him to keep an eye on it. I sent him the link concerning Tesla's mass email asking pre-sale customers to buy ASAP. I suspect they gave them some incentives. It was done to show big sales, thus boosting the price of the stock.

He understands and says he will sell at $55 and buy back in when it settles. He wants to buy a mid-range Tesla S for his wife's commute and in town driving. They will use the Volt for long trips. 5 years ago, when I started talking to him about the Volt and the S, he had absolutely no interest. He wanted to buy another Mustang Cobra. They have a BMW also. Once you taste those big savings, you can never go back.

I personally love the Tesla Roadster. They have been around these parts for quite awhile. Now that's a real toy, but who cares?
Retired and Happy

Yankton, SD

#4273 May 14, 2013
Happy and Retired Gizmo wrote:
These people are not to be believed!!! I'm retired and rich! I drive a Hyundai!
Actually Mr. luvvolt, you only got that half right. I am retired and fairly well off and I drive what the hell I wish to drive. My like for small cars goes back to 1971 when I met my bride of 42 years through a Sports Car Club, I drove a 1961 Austin Healey Sprite and she drove an Italian Siata Spring (a little hand made car based on a Fiat 850) Since then I have bought, driven and sold more cars than most people own in a lifetime. I had to because it supported my racing habit. I have owned two Morgans, two MGAs, a TR-4, a morris Minor, a Real Mini Cooper by BLMC, numerous sprites and midgets as well as two hogs, a 1962 Impala Super Sport with a 327 and a four speed and a 1968 Ford Torino with a 390 and a four speed. The Hyundai was purchased as my first automatic car in over 25 years except for the trucks that I used as tow vehicles. So, little man, people need to purchase what they want and like, not something that would make a little fag, like you impressed.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4274 May 14, 2013
The epitome of a low life:

This is how he describes my granddaughter.

"Well, you can take your runt back to an exciting Softball game and cheer for all of her walks and outs, that is your bag, not mine."

Post 4271 on this page.

This one sentence speaks volumes.
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#4275 May 14, 2013
Wifey says:
If it wasn't for the tax-breaks the bankrupted domestics and auto unions both still depend on to this day...

for the likes of the negative general-fund balance caused by the communist party unions and the obamamobile alike...

there would be nothing to pay for all its' "Marketing Hype".

Too Funny.
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#4276 May 14, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
If it wasn't for the tax-breaks the bankrupted domestics and auto unions both still depend on to this day...

for the likes of the negative general-fund balance caused by the communist party unions and the obamamobile alike...

there would be nothing to pay for all its' "Marketing Hype".

Too Funny.
That's very true...

even Barack Obama warned that electricity rates would skyrocket under his administration's plans...

and some believe this was done so that mainstream Americans wouldn't object to these gradual, steady increases...

so he can dell the obamamobile another year.

Too Funny.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4277 May 14, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
<quoted text>
So far this year, sales of battery only vehicles have exceeded EVs and Extended Range EVs.
Guess I'm not sure how this plays into the conversation.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4278 May 14, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
"Well, you can take your runt back to an exciting Softball game and cheer for all of her walks and outs, that is your bag, not mine."
Post 4271 on this page.
Pretty nasty stuff.
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#4279 May 14, 2013
Pete wrote:
That's very true...

even Barack Obama warned that electricity rates would skyrocket under his administration's plans...

and some believe this was done so that mainstream Americans wouldn't object to these gradual, steady increases...

so he can dell the obamamobile another year.

Too Funny.
Wifey says:
So that's it...

The people were "warned...

and now they just have to bend over and take it.

Too Funny
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#4280 May 14, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
So that's it...

The people were "warned...

and now they just have to bend over and take it.

Too Funny
That's very true...

and you know what that's like don't ya.

Too Funny.
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#4281 May 14, 2013
Pete wrote:
That's very true...

and you know what that's like don't ya.

Too Funny.
Wifey says:
I sure do...

let's go for it.

Too Funny.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4282 May 14, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
20,000 pre-sales. My son bought Tesla shares at $25. It has gained much, but I told him to keep an eye on it. I sent him the link concerning Tesla's mass email asking pre-sale customers to buy ASAP. I suspect they gave them some incentives. It was done to show big sales, thus boosting the price of the stock.
He understands and says he will sell at $55 and buy back in when it settles. He wants to buy a mid-range Tesla S for his wife's commute and in town driving. They will use the Volt for long trips. 5 years ago, when I started talking to him about the Volt and the S, he had absolutely no interest. He wanted to buy another Mustang Cobra. They have a BMW also. Once you taste those big savings, you can never go back.
I personally love the Tesla Roadster. They have been around these parts for quite awhile. Now that's a real toy, but who cares?
I'm very concerned with their future and yes the stock is bloated like a michigan union.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4283 May 14, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty nasty stuff.
Root, stay out of this.
Not nearly as nasty as other REALLY nasty stuff posted in the past.
You know full well what that was.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4284 May 14, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
Post 4271 on this page.
LuvVolt--- leave your personal affairs out of these discussions. They are of no merit, end of story.
All your sanctimonious boastfulness serves no purpose, but your persistence in holding it over everyone else is just asking for more ridicule back at you.
So either continue to wallow in self pity created by your own actions, or just knock it off and stop stressing over it.
Enjoy your family, your preferred life style, your Volt, your little nest egg, life's simple pleasures, etc., but for god's sake spare us all your whining about being picked on.
If the kitchen is too hot for your comfort, then go find a place more comfortable.
Most folks with half a brain would do so, so why not you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CEO to reveal 5-year strategy in early 2014; ke... (Nov '13) 15 hr Dodge Brothers 16
News Hans Greimel: Detroit has little to gain from f... Mon reality is a crutch 1
pontiac bonneville rain water leaks into interior (Dec '08) May 2 slo_ride 16
News Itís a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) May 1 Not the Windsor R... 1,147
Nasty Canadian Jap Car News May 1 Not So Nasty Cana... 20
News Andreas Lubitz running Apr 30 Deo Vindice 2
News Toyota recalls even MORE Junk-1.3 million ORIENTAL (Jan '09) Apr 29 Leagle Beagle 362
More from around the web