Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11780 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4230 May 13, 2013
Happy and retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Giz, you are right, that hot air baloon ride was very similar to your ride in a biplane. I stopped at a little airstrip in Bealton Virginia at a Sunday show called the Flying Circus and took a trip in an open cockpit plane and it was a ride to remember for a lifetime. Oh, when you were at Sedona did the Pink Jeep rides exist where you could go with a very nice female guide and she would take you on a trip in on the backroads and go off roading in the jeep? About the only thing that hit me was that I stayed in the Hilton in Sedona and went to the resturant the first morning and on the menu it stated two eggs cooked any way, what I did not take time to read was that these two eggs cost $12.00. I placed that little bit of information in my little known and seldom used folder in my head and learned to always read the price list on the right side of the before placing an order.
The airstrip at Sedona is on top of a Mesa.
Fairly long enough runway for modest sized planes, but with a too high and too hot approach and you're over the side and down about 500 feet! I managed to survive landings with our airplane which is a trike, but the tail dragger like a Waco can be a bit twitchy, especially in crosswinds. It was a really memorable flight.
We stayed at a nice motel and resort which sits on the same Mesa as the airport, and we could easily walk to the airport and it's famous restaurant.
And really, the restaurant there has the best growlies in town, according to the locals, and we fully agree. It was indeed, very good.
Didn't take the jeep ride like you. We had a rental car and did a lot of exploring around the area though.
It's beautiful country for sure. After leaving Sedona, we drove right down to Yuma to visit some snowbird friends. we went the scenic route through the mountains and down into the desert. Nice!!

Good assessment of Mr. Wonderful!!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4231 May 13, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
Gentlemen, you have officially made this thread the most popular, longest running, most commented and voted thread on the Auto News Page, congrats.
VOLTEC continues its success.
You owe me for keeping it alive!!
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#4232 May 13, 2013
The only technology in the overpriced bottom feeder called the obamamobile is...

the flashlight batterys and a motorcycle engine it runs on.

Too Funny.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#4233 May 13, 2013
Pete wrote:
The only technology in the overpriced bottom feeder called the obamamobile is...

the flashlight batterys and a motorcycle engine it runs on.

Too Funny.
Wifey says:
That's very true...

The domestics with the communist party auto unions are nothing but gimmes all the way around...

and they wont last beyond the next bankruptcy.
.Too Funny.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#4234 May 13, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
That's very true...

The domestics with the communist party auto unions are nothing but gimmes all the way around...

and they wont last beyond the next bankruptcy.
.Too Funny.
That's very true...

and that's a good reason why there's no market for such "Marketing hype" products.

Too Funny.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4235 May 14, 2013
Happy and retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Root, I think that most people here will admit that the volt and cars like the volt have a very bright future. The problem the volt has had in image, sales and being accepted by the American buying public is that it was rushed into production and sales before the battery technology was advanced to the point where the car had the electric range to make it a saleable car. The obama administration came into the White House with the idea of the elimination of the coal industry and the reduction in the need for fossel fuel in general. When GM accepted the money obama and the feds had a clean sheet of paper to push the volt to join their faith in solar energy. Root, I will admit that the volt is a car of the future, what you must admit is that it was made for sale before it was ready as for having an appeal to more than a miche group of buyers.
Number one in sales (accepted by the public)
It was in development for years and years.
Tested, tested, and tested again. Probably the most tested car out there.
It’s a very saleable care.
Excellent electric range up to 50 miles on electric and no range anxiety.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4236 May 14, 2013
I love the way the hater has created a new persona so he can attack me from both sides. He even answers himself. 

Check out this line:

"however, we are all different and much like that world's tallest midget, in the real world you are just a fairly little man attempting to get as much attentin (his spelling) as possible."

He puts me down for some worldly advice about grand kids. I must have really hit a sore spot. But then he defends himself by saying we are all different. But he can't stand the difference between him and me.

Too funny
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4237 May 14, 2013
Anwway, great day yesterday. My granddaughter had her best day at the plate. She's a real girly girl, and this is her first year. All the other girls have played 1 or 2 seasons. But she has really been improving.

3 RBI's. Walk with bases loaded. Ground out to 2nd with a runner on 3rd and a single with a runner on 3rd.

She was so happy, she couldn't stop talking for an hour. I really miss when they were little. They are so dependent on you. But it's day 
Ike yesterday that make up for it.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4238 May 14, 2013
So, this is a volt forum. On Mother's day, my son drove down from Dublin. He parked & charged at my house. WWe all took my Mom out for a meal. We took my car. 

He and his wife went to SF to spend time with her Mom, then went home. He emailed me his numbers.

96.7 Electric Miles
31.3 Gas Miles

128 Total Miles

0.76 Gallons Used

168.42 mpg
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4239 May 14, 2013
Questions....

(1) Is this a car forum, or is it a " here's how great my family, kids, grandkids, et al are"?

(2) Is this a car forum, or do we have to bear witness every day to LMV's "I'm Luvmyvolt and you're not" soliloquies?

(3) Is this a car forum, or must we be consistently reminded that we don't conform to Luvmyvolt's version of how to live our lives properly?

(4) Is this a car forum, or must we never challenge any of Luvmyvolt's harangues about how he insists he's being persecuted?(has he ever wondered why?)

(5) is Luvmyvolt just a frusrated, cranky old man trying his best to create an illusion of what he wishes he was, but is not?
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4240 May 14, 2013
Meanwhile, back on topic.
Just to put all types of 2013 car sales to date into perspective...

According to the Electric Drive Transportation Association, here are the comparative sales stats for all vehicles sold this year to end April:

Total all vehicle sales..........4,956,253

Total hybrid sales..........163,915

Total plug-ins and extended range EVs........10,957

Total battery only sales..........13,594

Looks like the buying public really hasn't fallen in love with EVs and Battery vehicles quite yet.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4241 May 14, 2013
Ho hummmmmm
Anyway. Another important factor to consider is the battery warranty. Ford and Toyota just give an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty.
GM gives a (no more than) 30% degradation warranty over 8 years / 100,000 miles.
Now, being that batteries are not perfect (last I checked, nothing is), this is pretty important.
The reason GM was able to give this warranty (or better put, the competition wasn't able to) ..... GM uses a thermal battery heat management system, whereas the others don't.
I can't find the link now, but I'm pretty darned sure the spread was about 10 degrees. I'll double check that if I can. 
Being that batteries get pretty hot (feel that warmth on your lap from your laptop?), this adds life to the Volts battery.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4242 May 14, 2013
I didn’t realize just how strong plug-in sales are. When compared to the early Prius years, they’re doing much better.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4243 May 14, 2013
AAA chose the volt as one of the best commuter cars in America.

Note the line in the link:

"AAA reported that 86 percent of Americans rely on their vehicle to get to and from work every day. The average commute is 25 minutes each way"

That is 50 minutes per commute. Not miles. This means that the average driver could commute daily and never have to buy gas except for longer trips. You can't do that in a PIP or Energi.

http://www.plugincars.com/aaa-chooses-chevy-v...

What an awesome car!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4244 May 14, 2013
Inside EVs latest sales figures for Volt and Nissan Leaf.....

YTD Volt units sold......5550
YTD Leaf units sold......5476

April Volt sales..........1306
April Leaf sales..........1936

Furthermore, it is reported that there are over 9000 Volts in inventory not sold.
This means Volt production will be idled later this year for an extended period.

At the same time, Nissan Leaf production will be raised to deal with increased demand.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4245 May 14, 2013
Good news for sure. Nissan has been aggressively pushing Leaf sales hard with price cuts and good incentives. Its good Chevy is quickly responding with good lease rates and payment deals. I'm also happy to see just how good these cars are doing. They are beating what Prius did in the early days. Tesla also beat Mercedes and Audi sales.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4246 May 14, 2013
Nay Sayers of the past:

"A new source of power... called gasoline has been produced by a Boston engineer. Instead of burning the fuel under a boiler, it is exploded inside the cylinder of an engine.

The dangers are obvious. Stores of gasoline in the hands of people interested primarily in profit would constitute a fire and explosive hazard of the first rank. Horseless carriages propelled by gasoline might attain speeds of 14 or even 20 miles per hour. The menace to our people of vehicles of this type hurtling through our streets and along our roads and poisoning the atmosphere would call for prompt legislative action even if the military and economic implications were not so overwhelming...[T]he cost of producing [gasoline] is far beyond the financial capacity of private industry... In addition the development of this new power may displace the use of horses, which would wreck our agriculture."

- U. S. Congressional Record, 1875.

"That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced."

- Scientific American, Jan. 2, 1909.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/neverwrk.htm
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4247 May 14, 2013
Funny
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4248 May 14, 2013
Root wrote:
Good news for sure. Nissan has been aggressively pushing Leaf sales hard with price cuts and good incentives. Its good Chevy is quickly responding with good lease rates and payment deals. I'm also happy to see just how good these cars are doing. They are beating what Prius did in the early days. Tesla also beat Mercedes and Audi sales.
GM reports the next gen. volt will be $7,000 to $10,000 cheaper than the first model. I may look into an ELR if their prices go down. Now that is a beautiful car!!!
Community Disorganizer

Newtown, CT

#4249 May 14, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
Meanwhile, back on topic.
Just to put all types of 2013 car sales to date into perspective...
According to the Electric Drive Transportation Association, here are the comparative sales stats for all vehicles sold this year to end April:
Total all vehicle sales..........4,956,253
Total hybrid sales..........163,915
Total plug-ins and extended range EVs........10,957
Total battery only sales..........13,594
Looks like the buying public really hasn't fallen in love with EVs and Battery vehicles quite yet.
Until batteries improve, and the vehicles get cheaper, you can't expect great sales numbers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Original Xhorse VVDI2 BMW Key Programmer Feedback 14 hr tuita 3
VVDI2 Xhorse - Where to get the original? 21 hr lalaura 1
News Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for racially-charge... (Mar '16) Wed Chauntyll Allen 27
Buy 2017 New V1.70 Opel OP-COM 2016 Wed OPCOM 2016 3
$39.00 WOW 5.00.12 USB Version OBD2 Diagnostic ... Wed wow 50012 3
VVDI2 4.3.0 works great in BMW FEM coding/progr... Tue lalaura 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Tue Latintony1 314
More from around the web