Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4211 May 13, 2013
Vega Cor Volt 2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am also involved in the field of industrial automation; what iluvmyvolt passes off as marvelous and amazing engineering that is presented on the Voltís video screen is pretty mundane stuff. Automobiles have been equiped with OBD and ECMs for decades; they can provide an ďamazingĒ amount of information.
My software guys are pretty up to date on electronics now in use by the automakers.
This includes GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota,(all customers of ours).
They find that much of what is found in today's vehicles is fairly primitive stuff.
Like you say, there isn't much breakthrough revolutionary stuff out there yet.
Those who try to convince us otherwise are just posting fluff.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4212 May 13, 2013
Natural gas prices were so low a couple years back that they had to stop almost 50% of all production.†It almost reached the point of negative cash flow.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3e0b9812cd1c4...

Power managers are taking advantage of low natural gas prices and phasing out coal plants.†

It was the Tea Party that falsely blamed the Obama admin. for phasing out coal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/oc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/oc...

http://www.firstenercastfinancial.com/news/st...

It's all about the American consumer wanting lower energy prices.†The side benefit is a cleaner skyline.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4213 May 13, 2013
Happy and retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Root, I think that most people here will admit that the volt and cars like the volt have a very bright future. The problem the volt has had in image, sales and being accepted by the American buying public is that it was rushed into production and sales before the battery technology was advanced to the point where the car had the electric range to make it a saleable car. The obama administration came into the White House with the idea of the elimination of the coal industry and the reduction in the need for fossel fuel in general. When GM accepted the money obama and the feds had a clean sheet of paper to push the volt to join their faith in solar energy. Root, I will admit that the volt is a car of the future, what you must admit is that it was made for sale before it was ready as for having an appeal to more than a miche group of buyers.
A very sensible post, indeed.
More of the same would be appreciated.
Please don't pay any attention to some of the nonsense you come across here.
No one seems to know why this occurs, but it seems to be fairly popular.
I can't speak for everyone, but it seems to me that character who keeps repeating his life's accomplishments tends to dominate the bandwidth here with his "success stories"
What that has to do with cars is anybody's guess.
He occasionally posts good information, but his "I'm LuvVolt and you're not" characterizations are sure monotonous and banal.
Happy and retired

Rapid City, SD

#4214 May 13, 2013
IluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a hint. High pole climbers get big pay. The higher you climb, the more you make. It's called pucker factor. We had lots of guys like you that complained about our pay checks. 95% of them didn't make it through pole climbing school, which was the easy part. We had to climb white diamonds,(a very hard pole due to treating), so you needed to keep those hooks sharp.
Now, you take that big paycheck and invest in a very healthy stock market in the 80's.. There were dozens of little start up electronic firms in the Santa Clara Valley then. Lots to pick from. I picked a few. Do you know what nickname the Santa Clara Valley goes by? Look it up.
Also, a house could be purchased for about $35,000 back then. Buy a couple for rentals and today, they are worth low 700's. They were high 8's before the crash, but thats not the true value of a rental. Love those rent checks.
So, I put myself in some very conservative stock after the crash. I still do a very healthy 8%. I don't draw from it because the rent checks and my $1,900 a month from social security is plenty. I don't have a pension. I took a buyout. I invested that. Pretty healthy buyout.
The only government paychecks I ever received were when I was overseas, putting my life on the line so you could stay home and enjoy the easy life.
So the next time you see someone in uniform, shake his or her hand and thank them.
This post really defines who you are and what you are, a little man who judges the whole world by your very little part of it. You say high pole climbers make big money, well, early in life I made the decision to work with my brain rather than my back. We are different people, no doubt, when I put on a collar it was white and when you did it was blue. I will admit that your profession did prvide for better money than most professions that did not require an education beyond K-12 and you are to be comended that you did what you did with what you had to work with.

Son, you are so very typical of the big big fish, little pond theory. The only problem you have is that there are much bigger ponds, rivers and oceans with more and bigger fish.

We all live a different life, thank God, and I choose to be productive and see sights first hand as I am going to Mt. Rushmore right after I get off of the computer. In the past 6 months I have been to Tombstone, New Orleans, Turtle Island (as seen on the TV series "Mountain Men" and rode a hot air baloon in Sedona Arizona. You take your day trips to see local bands and I will continue to go to different places and see the wonders of the world on the Company dine.
Truckin

United States

#4215 May 13, 2013
Gizmo received his auto experience at plastech. It was there he learned hot injection techniques. His business today is a small latex & vinyl rubber manfactufing operation in Windsor. He makes specialty dildoz for the Canadian market. They sell under the name Cadildo. What makes the Cadildo different is the patented hook bend. This allows stimulation of the prostate. Gizmo has made a fortune selling his product to various brothels, gay strip clubs and massage parlors in the greater Toronto area.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4216 May 13, 2013
Happy and retired wrote:
<quoted text>
This post really defines who you are and what you are, a little man who judges the whole world by your very little part of it. You say high pole climbers make big money, well, early in life I made the decision to work with my brain rather than my back. We are different people, no doubt, when I put on a collar it was white and when you did it was blue. I will admit that your profession did prvide for better money than most professions that did not require an education beyond K-12 and you are to be comended that you did what you did with what you had to work with.
Son, you are so very typical of the big big fish, little pond theory. The only problem you have is that there are much bigger ponds, rivers and oceans with more and bigger fish.
We all live a different life, thank God, and I choose to be productive and see sights first hand as I am going to Mt. Rushmore right after I get off of the computer. In the past 6 months I have been to Tombstone, New Orleans, Turtle Island (as seen on the TV series "Mountain Men" and rode a hot air baloon in Sedona Arizona. You take your day trips to see local bands and I will continue to go to different places and see the wonders of the world on the Company dine.
Nicely summed up.

IMO, a little man, big insecurity, little fish in a big pond, and if he wasn't such a BS'er I would suggest that his story would be a good one.
But not a lot different than many, many others in this world.
That said, I think his story is as I said, wishful thinking BS.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4217 May 13, 2013
To Happy and Retired:

You mentioned a visit to Sedona in your post.
My wife and I spent a couple of weeks there a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed the really spectacular country in those parts.
During our visit, a highlight was when I rented an open cockpit biplane (one of those replica Waco taildraggers) and spent a delightful 2 hours touring the red rock area by air.
Your hot air balloon experience must have been similar.
Did you have a meal at the Sedona Airport?
Best grub in the area!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4218 May 13, 2013
Happy and retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me give you a little piece of worldly advice. If you have grand kids, and they are young. Stop your "busy life" and pay attention to them.

You only have them young once in life. Mine were little toddlers when I retired. I spent as many moments as I possibly could with them. I gave up my favorite hobby of fishing to be with them.

They now are past mid teens and they come to see me at least 3 times a week.

They are my whole life and my joy. I have friends who are just like you and they worked much longer than me for material things. They now enjoy the good life of travel.

Their grand kids don't have anything to do with them. I find it very bewildering that they don't care if their grand kids aren't around. Now ... that is for you to decide what you want to do in life. If you don't have grand kids, bravo. You don't need to make that choice. But that's sad in itself.

As for me, your travels don't interest me. I just bought 2 family packs of Oakland A's tickets. My sons, their wives and kids and I are going to enjoy the day.

I know that is boring, but we love it. We also enjoy all the local entertainment in the SF bay area that includes young people like my grand kids.

Well ... I am off to watch my granddaughter's softball game. I'm going to applaud her even if she strikes out. I suppose that would be a failure in life to you.

OK ... enjoy your life of not judging people.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4219 May 13, 2013
See what I mean, "Happy and Retired?"
Your post was civil, honest and straightforward.
Not a whit of acrimony.
Yet for some weird reason known only to himself, the LMV (who apparently loves himself and worships thrift more than anything), preaches that his choices in life are the only ones anyone should abide by.
He consistently berates others for what they apparently don't have and he does, and boasts that his choices and lifestyle are somehow the only choices anyone should make.
Again, what all that self adulation hoopla has to do with cars beats me!
Needless to say, there are many ways to live one's life,
Everyone is entitled to choose how he or she wishes to live life.
The important element is to be happy and content with whatever choice is made, and to follow the golden rule.

LMV has apparently decided to berate you as we'll, and provide you with his wisdom on how his choices are far better than yours.
Pay no attention.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4220 May 13, 2013
And BTW:

This was 3 years ago. Without overtime pay, which there is too much of in winter time. 1/2 of our annual salary came in the 4 cold months of the year.

http://www.ehow.com/info_11404597_salary-line...

From the link:

Highest-Paying States for Power Workers
The highest-paying states for power linemen were led by California, with average pay of $78,390 per year. Oregon, in second place, paid its line workers an average of $78,190 per year, and Alaska paid $73,070 on average. Average pay in Connecticut and Washington State also exceeded $71,000 per year.

Now, I retired 15 years ago, but proportionately speaking, about the same. We had guys braking $100,000 in the late 1980's / early 1990's. California pays the highest wages. The highest wages in California are in the SF Bay Area. Currently just over $80,000.

As I said, a lot of brainiacs complained about our big wages. They couldn't cut it for the most part.

But, there were collage educated people who came out to work with us. The money was that good. I quit collage to hire on.

You haters can pretend that your big brains are all that matter. If you think that you don't need a quick thinking mind to be up on these poles for even a minute, you would end up dead.

It's called pucker factor. You had to overcome the pucker. HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's the first thing I was told in climbing school.

Ask any pole climber. Oh, I'm sorry, you don't mingle with the blue collars. You don't know any pole climbers.

Vega Cor Volt 2013

Florham Park, NJ

#4221 May 13, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me give you a little piece of worldly advice. If you have grand kids, and they are young. Stop your "busy life" and pay attention to them.
You only have them young once in life. Mine were little toddlers when I retired. I spent as many moments as I possibly could with them. I gave up my favorite hobby of fishing to be with them.
They now are past mid teens and they come to see me at least 3 times a week.
They are my whole life and my joy. I have friends who are just like you and they worked much longer than me for material things. They now enjoy the good life of travel.
Their grand kids don't have anything to do with them. I find it very bewildering that they don't care if their grand kids aren't around. Now ... that is for you to decide what you want to do in life. If you don't have grand kids, bravo. You don't need to make that choice. But that's sad in itself.
As for me, your travels don't interest me. I just bought 2 family packs of Oakland A's tickets. My sons, their wives and kids and I are going to enjoy the day.
I know that is boring, but we love it. We also enjoy all the local entertainment in the SF bay area that includes young people like my grand kids.
Well ... I am off to watch my granddaughter's softball game. I'm going to applaud her even if she strikes out. I suppose that would be a failure in life to you.
You should be giving that advise to your son. Instead of hanging out at the library mooching free electricity he should go straight home to his family after work. According to you he makes the big bucks, so a few cents worth of electricity should be no big deal; and according to you he has a big MacMansion so finding a place to study should be no problem.
Truckin

United States

#4222 May 13, 2013
Gizmo makes some coin selling Cadildos and wants to preach?
What a load of dogshit.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4223 May 13, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
And BTW:
This was 3 years ago. Without overtime pay, which there is too much of in winter time. 1/2 of our annual salary came in the 4 cold months of the year.
From the link:
The highest-paying states for power linemen were led by California, with average pay of $78,390 per year. Oregon, in second place, paid its line workers an average of $78,190 per year, and Alaska paid $73,070 on average. Average pay in Connecticut and Washington State also exceeded $71,000 per year.
Now, I retired 15 years ago, but proportionately speaking, about the same. We had guys braking $100,000 in the late 1980's / early 1990's. California pays the highest wages. The highest wages in California are in the SF Bay Area. Currently just over $80,000.
As I said, a lot of brainiacs complained about our big wages. They couldn't cut it for the most part.
But, there were collage educated people who came out to work with us. The money was that good. I quit collage to hire on.
You haters can pretend that your big brains are all that matter. If you think that you don't need a quick thinking mind to be up on these poles for even a minute, you would end up dead.
It's called pucker factor. You had to overcome the pucker. HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's the first thing I was told in climbing school.
Ask any pole climber. Oh, I'm sorry, you don't mingle with the blue collars. You don't know any pole climbers.
BORING!,,,
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4224 May 13, 2013
Truckin wrote:
Gizmo makes some coin selling Cadildos and wants to preach?
What a load of dogshit.
Jealous??
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4226 May 13, 2013
Truckin wrote:
On one side of your tongue you preach and the other you act like a snob while at the same time getting coin for selling sex toys. Yes I'm jealous.
Pity you can't compete.
Not your fault.
Just too far beyond your level.
Happy and retired

Rapid City, SD

#4227 May 13, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
And BTW:
From the link:
Again you prove my point and evaluation of you. First, you indicate that I am not up to your standard of "High Pole Climbing" and for some reason you use that as an indicator of position in life. Second, when I make the statement of haven chosen a mental path in my working life and not a physical path you seem to indicate that I feel above the blue collar worker, seems more like personal insecurity on your part than being a snob on my part. Now you must bring up "Grand Children" as your claim to being the better person because you stay with yours and you think that I do not with mine, what a pathetic little small minded way of scoring the worth of life. I am quite sure that you did not attend "Bubble Gum" music concerts that weekend which would ve more in the nature of what your grandchildren would like. I just got back from Mt. Rushmore and to be honest while the mountain was majestic the drive there was even more so. I also went to a reptile display and show on Rt. 16 and interacted with the people working the show as I am into reptiles myself. Mr. Luvvolt, one day you will learn to admit that you might have the perfect life for yourself, however, we are all different and much like that world's tallest midget, in the real world you are just a fairly little man attempting to get as much attentin as possible.
Happy and retired

Rapid City, SD

#4228 May 13, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
To Happy and Retired:
You mentioned a visit to Sedona in your post.
My wife and I spent a couple of weeks there a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed the really spectacular country in those parts.
During our visit, a highlight was when I rented an open cockpit biplane (one of those replica Waco taildraggers) and spent a delightful 2 hours touring the red rock area by air.
Your hot air balloon experience must have been similar.
Did you have a meal at the Sedona Airport?
Best grub in the area!!
Giz, you are right, that hot air baloon ride was very similar to your ride in a biplane. I stopped at a little airstrip in Bealton Virginia at a Sunday show called the Flying Circus and took a trip in an open cockpit plane and it was a ride to remember for a lifetime. Oh, when you were at Sedona did the Pink Jeep rides exist where you could go with a very nice female guide and she would take you on a trip in on the backroads and go off roading in the jeep? About the only thing that hit me was that I stayed in the Hilton in Sedona and went to the resturant the first morning and on the menu it stated two eggs cooked any way, what I did not take time to read was that these two eggs cost $12.00. I placed that little bit of information in my little known and seldom used folder in my head and learned to always read the price list on the right side of the before placing an order.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#4229 May 13, 2013
Gentlemen, you have officially made this thread the most popular, longest running, most commented and voted thread on the Auto News Page, congrats.

VOLTEC continues its success.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4230 May 13, 2013
Happy and retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Giz, you are right, that hot air baloon ride was very similar to your ride in a biplane. I stopped at a little airstrip in Bealton Virginia at a Sunday show called the Flying Circus and took a trip in an open cockpit plane and it was a ride to remember for a lifetime. Oh, when you were at Sedona did the Pink Jeep rides exist where you could go with a very nice female guide and she would take you on a trip in on the backroads and go off roading in the jeep? About the only thing that hit me was that I stayed in the Hilton in Sedona and went to the resturant the first morning and on the menu it stated two eggs cooked any way, what I did not take time to read was that these two eggs cost $12.00. I placed that little bit of information in my little known and seldom used folder in my head and learned to always read the price list on the right side of the before placing an order.
The airstrip at Sedona is on top of a Mesa.
Fairly long enough runway for modest sized planes, but with a too high and too hot approach and you're over the side and down about 500 feet! I managed to survive landings with our airplane which is a trike, but the tail dragger like a Waco can be a bit twitchy, especially in crosswinds. It was a really memorable flight.
We stayed at a nice motel and resort which sits on the same Mesa as the airport, and we could easily walk to the airport and it's famous restaurant.
And really, the restaurant there has the best growlies in town, according to the locals, and we fully agree. It was indeed, very good.
Didn't take the jeep ride like you. We had a rental car and did a lot of exploring around the area though.
It's beautiful country for sure. After leaving Sedona, we drove right down to Yuma to visit some snowbird friends. we went the scenic route through the mountains and down into the desert. Nice!!

Good assessment of Mr. Wonderful!!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4231 May 13, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
Gentlemen, you have officially made this thread the most popular, longest running, most commented and voted thread on the Auto News Page, congrats.
VOLTEC continues its success.
You owe me for keeping it alive!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Buy from XtoolEShop.com? 20 hr jimmyLIN 2
News Lexus will debut UX crossover with taillamp fins Wed jam 1
News The 2018 Mazda 3 May Have The Best No-Bullshit ... Feb 16 Firm Confirm 4
News NHTSA opening probe into Ford Freestar/Mercury ... (Jan '10) Feb 7 Cars 22
OBDSTAR H110 VS Xhorse VVDI2 , Which better Feb 4 FMPC001 1
What programmer to read VAG Bcm2 on bench? Jan 29 Ambrosio 1
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Jan 29 jimmyLIN 25
More from around the web