Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11780 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4083 May 8, 2013
And that applies to the imposter -Gizmo- as well as Root.
Somehow the imposter managed to get his revolting rhetoric in between Root's post and mine.

One weird puppy, that fella.
Vega Cor Volt 2013

Newtown, CT

#4084 May 8, 2013
This can't be good news for sales of the gubamint motors welfare mobile. Ford's new C-Max Energi SEL.has a federal government rating of 100 miles-per-gallon equivalent, the C-Max Energi tops the 98 mpg equivalent of the 2013 Chevrolet Volt.
Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, is $34,140 and includes continuously variable transmission (CVT) that a driver operates like an automatic. This compares with the $39,995 starting retail price for a 2013 Volt. The Volt qualifies for a federal income tax credit of $7,500, the C-Max Energi's tax credit is $3,751; why is that?
Vega Cor Volt 2013

Newtown, CT

#4085 May 8, 2013
The only vehicles with higher mpg equivalent than the Ford C-Max Energi SEL numbers are all-electric cars with much lower overall travel range, such as the 2013 Leaf with a 115 mpg equivalent rating and a travel range of up to 75 miles. The Leaf sounds like it would be perfect for the electricity grubbing iluvmyvolt, since he never travels further than the closest free charging station.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4086 May 8, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
And you Root, never do anything wrong, right?
You're always the victim, right?
Y'know what?
You really need to take a hard look at what you just posted.
You aren't in any way in any position to criticize others.
Not after the way you've behaved here.
Your big problem Root, is that you fail to look at yourself in a mirror once in a while.
You preach respect, but you don't practice it.
You blame others for causing problems, when you yourself are a big part part of those problems.
You complain about other's conduct, yet never acknowledge your own.
It's always the "other guy" that's to blame.
And your insults and attacks are strictly low life.
Let me tell you something---for a change.....
If you stop these degenerate insults and clean up your act--I mean all of that crap from all of your sycophants--I promise you I will back off.
But not until.
If I see one more cheap shot from you, it's back to square one pal.
The ball is in your court.
So the fool above starts trouble again, and what happens when love Volt sees it? He’ll respond, you’ll jump in with the IP masking software story, Volt this or that, and not once address the dreck this fool posts. How do you plan to handle this?

Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4087 May 8, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>So the fool above starts trouble again, and what happens when love Volt sees it? He’ll respond, you’ll jump in with the IP masking software story, Volt this or that, and not once address the dreck this fool posts. How do you plan to handle this?
I have absolutely no control over what he or anybody else says or does here.
Contrary to some of your pals insane inferences, I've always worked alone.
I'm going to stand down myself, unless you or any of your buddies lays another hit on me.
And that includes luvVolt, you, the imposter Gizmo, Phantom, Jim s., or whoever else decides to get stupid again.
If any of that happens, all bets are off, guaranteed.

One more thing.
I am no more guilty of this nonsense than any of those folks, and that includes you.
I will expect some acknowledgment of that fact from you and the others, especially you.
Otherwise the same "all bets are off" applies.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#4088 May 8, 2013
Sure I’ll acknowledge that. Shouldn’t we all be proud of Ford? Is it not the goal for car companies to produce the best products they can?
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4089 May 8, 2013
Root wrote:
Sure I’ll acknowledge that. Shouldn’t we all be proud of Ford? Is it not the goal for car companies to produce the best products they can?
OK.
Yes.
And yes.

Now I'll wait and watch.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4091 May 8, 2013
I remember G.O.D., way back when, stating that he agreed that Kiplingers's math, showing the Volt making up the difference in price in 5 years, was correct.(page 151, comment 3147)

Now, he has flipped flopped. He claims that only Canadian financial groups are to be trusted. The financial groups I point out .... Kelly Blue Book, Kiplinger, Yahoo Auto's all show the Volt making up the difference in price (W I T H O U T T H E C R E D I T). But they are all American, thus, suspect.

I quote him:

"He has his own accounting formulae.
They justify his contentions.

But in the real world..........

Put it this way.
I use a fully qualified accounting firm to do my personal and business taxes.
I don't think Luv volt's formulae would pass even a cursory vetting by Revenue Canada."

I provide links to the 3 financial group's math, but they are American. I can understand G.O.D.'s hatred for America, but not the dolt's. He's just plain un-American.

Kiplinger has twice been named one of America's Most Ethical Companies. Of course, if you hate America, that doesn't add up to a hill of beans.

And of course, everybody trusts KBB,(except when it makes the Volt look good).

I guess the hater forgot that once agreed with the math. Woops.

Good Lord!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4092 May 8, 2013
Sorry G.O.D. and dolt, I've spent $28 on gas and less than $300 for charging costs since I bought my Volt, while you have spent more than $1,750 on gas. You guys must really love holding that pump nozzle. Does it make you feel warm and fuzzy? Do you like those numbers spinning up so fast? They must be mesmerizing. I've forgotten.

By the way, April's electric bill for my house was $66. That's for my home, plus my Volt. My old gasoline bill was over $125 a month. My Volt paid my entire electric bill and put another $60 in the bank for me.

What an amazing car.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4093 May 8, 2013
Woops. Put up the wrong link for the c-max. This is for the basic c-max. Couldn't find one for the SEL. The SEL costs $3,300 more than the basic. Thus the math.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-C_Max+Energi-2...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4095 May 8, 2013
Root wrote:
Chevrolet Volt, no other car has ever earned as many awards as Volt has in such a short amount of time. Now that’s something you can’t take away.
Here's a pretty good review from someone who thought the Volt was a "rolling disaster". I like his comments just under the video screen.

Published on May 7, 2013
"OK, I was wrong. There, I said it. After reading all the reviews on the Chevy Volt, I too thought is was a rolling disaster. This is a really cool car. Go and check out the full review on a site me and my buddy have SavageOnWheels.com . Enjoy."

Here's his review on his web site.

http://savageonwheels.com/category/car-review...

Like he said .... enjoy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4096 May 9, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
I remember G.O.D., way back when, stating that he agreed that Kiplingers's math, showing the Volt making up the difference in price in 5 years, was correct.(page 151, comment 3147)
Now, he has flipped flopped. He claims that only Canadian financial groups are to be trusted. The financial groups I point out .... Kelly Blue Book, Kiplinger, Yahoo Auto's all show the Volt making up the difference in price (W I T H O U T T H E C R E D I T). But they are all American, thus, suspect.
I quote him:
"He has his own accounting formulae.
They justify his contentions.
But in the real world..........
Put it this way.
I use a fully qualified accounting firm to do my personal and business taxes.
I don't think Luv volt's formulae would pass even a cursory vetting by Revenue Canada."
I provide links to the 3 financial group's math, but they are American. I can understand G.O.D.'s hatred for America, but not the dolt's. He's just plain un-American.
Kiplinger has twice been named one of America's Most Ethical Companies. Of course, if you hate America, that doesn't add up to a hill of beans.
And of course, everybody trusts KBB,(except when it makes the Volt look good).
I guess the hater forgot that once agreed with the math. Woops.
Good Lord!!!
That's enough LuvVolt!
In your diatribe, you twisted things around a tad.
I did not take exception to any links you provided.
I didn't ever mention or comment on any of your links, yet you took it upon yourself to criticize me for doing so.
The only criticism I voiced was where you yourself presented some calculations.
Those calculations were not valid.

You have also taken liberties by accusing me of hating the USA.
That is presumptuous and false.

Regarding your praise of US financial institutions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that in 2008/09/10 there were more than a few US financial institutions which got involved in some pretty scandalous misdeeds and caused a world wide financial crisis.

Last but not least, I committed to standing down in these forums.
That commitment was made in good faith.
There were, however, one or two conditions.
You obviously don't share the good faith in ceasing the petty nonsense which many, including you, are involved in.
Those conditions apply to all, including you.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4097 May 9, 2013
Am I the only one that sees a denial and then a return to business as usual in the following quote:

(From the previous post)

The denial:

"You have also taken liberties by accusing me of hating the USA.
That is presumptuous and false."

The return to business as usual (the very next line):

"Regarding your praise of US financial institutions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that in 2008/09/10 there were more than a few US financial institutions which got involved in some pretty scandalous misdeeds and caused a world wide financial crisis."

Only a hater of the USA can't look forward. The economy is doing pretty good, considering the train wreck left by the Republicans. More jobs were created in the past three months since the end of 2007.

But Obama and USA haters want us to fail so they can rub it in. There's a few Obama haters here. Don't get him wrong, though, he doesn't hate the USA.

And please, do stand down. When you were gone, there were more posts about cars than ever before. Take the ladle you use to stir it up with and leave.

G.O.D. Is the judge. Give me 13. hater!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4098 May 9, 2013
Am I the only one who sees yet another attempt to keep the adversarial nonsense alive?

C'mon LuvVolt, it's time to put aside the incendiary innuendo and hate nonsense aside.
It's gone on long enough.

Pointing the finger at those you feel are the only instigators is flat wrong, and if you have any conscience at all, you know that. You're just as guilty of antagonistic rhetoric as the rest of us.

Put the "hate" and accusatory language aside. Talk about your Volt all you want.
I'm certainly not going to stand in your way.

But when you choose to continue accusations at me personally, like you did above which are fabricated and untrue, I will challenge and correct you.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4099 May 9, 2013
When comparing the top of the line Honda Accord 5 year cost to own to the Volt:

This is the top of the line Accord. (not exactly fair comparing the basic Accord to the top of the line Volt ..... unless you're a hater).

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/arts/aut...

Total cost to own for this car.

http://autos.yahoo.com/honda/accord-sedan/201...

Chevy Volt 5 year cost to own.

http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/volt/2013/ba...

Starting at $34,600, the Accord costs $46,000 after 5 years.

Starting at $40,000, the Volt costs $39,500 after 5 years.

Without the credit factored in, the Accord costs $6,000 more to own than the Volt after 5 years.

Factor in $9,000 in credits most CA Volt owners get and you have a difference of $15,000.

Even the basic Accord is bested by the Volt after 5 years & credits. By $2,000.

What an amazing car.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4100 May 9, 2013
Can any California residents confirm that California now mandates all automakers must sell a percentage of zero emission cars in the state in order to sell any of their other models, including hybrids?
It's rumoured that only Tesla and Leaf fully comply with that edict, and that the other automakers are offering "compliance cars" which they've quickly put together (battery only like Spark, Fit, RAV4, etc), and which they're selling at substantial losses.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4101 May 9, 2013
Cost To Own Analysis--Another Look.

Volt MSRP..........39145
Honda Accord MSRP...$ 33430
Net savings..........5715

Honda Accord 5 year cost to own.........$45960
Volt 5 year cost to own..........39836
Net savings..........6124

Difference one vs the other.......$6124 minus $5715 equals $309.

Therefore, net savings Volt over Honda Accord......$409 (over 5 years)
Or approximately $82 annually.

Now maybe we do our math a little different in Canada, but the difference between the two appears to be almost negligible.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4102 May 9, 2013
Correction:

"Difference one vs the other should read $ 409.

Apology-finger problems using IPad!!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4103 May 9, 2013
Obviously those numbers don't consider the federal and state incentive for Volt.
Factoring those in makes the Volt far more attractive.
It would put anywhere from $7500 to $9000 in the pocket of the Volt buyer.

Please note.
My views are non judgemental, and I am not biased one way or the other re these two automobiles.
My "another look" should not be viewed as "hating" any automobile, person, nor any country.
It was not intended that way at all.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#4104 May 9, 2013
Now, looking at the basic Honda Accord versus Volt on a cost to own comparison....

Volt MSRP..........39145
Basic Accord MSRP..........21680
Net savings..........17465

Honda Accord 5 year cost to own..........45960
Volt 5 year cost to own..........39836
Net savings..........6124

Difference--Accord versus Volt.........$11341.($17465 minus $6124)

Even with $9000 incentives, Accord comes out ahead by $11341.

But comparing a basic Accord to Volt isn't quite fair, because of trim and performance differences.
That said, Accord is less costly to own by far.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NT414 scanner supports Vs commodore 1996 executive 10 hr lanrce 1
Top SBB Key Programmer V33.02 - Auto Key Progra... (Dec '13) Sun car-diagnostic-tool 14
Free download TOYOTA TIS 10.30.029 (Jan '16) Jul 23 master 3
FAQ OBDSTAR F100 Ford/Mazda key programmer Jul 22 Janealen 4
Junk My Car, Auto Salvage, Cash for Cars, ... (Jan '12) Jul 22 Janealen 28
Poll LINCOLN vs CADILLAC: Which is better??? (Jan '08) Jul 21 Longrod van Hugen... 247
Types of Wheel Bearings Jul 21 Andybaby 1
More from around the web