Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11782 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Silent Echo

Colonial Heights, VA

#3737 Apr 30, 2013
Root wrote:
Volt is revolutionary.
So was the corvair and vega, other failed foot notes in history.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3738 Apr 30, 2013
Sally said she's surprised the Volt exceeds 40 miles on a charge. Officially, it's rated at 38 miles per charge, but it varies from 25 to 50. The car does a great job of predicting what you'll get based on previous patterns and outside temperature. SAlly said it's too funny how people that don;t know about the Volt like tio talk about it.

Sally said GM has determined and verified through the use of OnStar, that 80%of driving occurs within the range of the Volt. If you need to go further, the gas generator is there so you won’t have to deal with range anxiety.
This means saved money for more dinners and an endless supply of garlic and cinnamon.

Too funny!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3740 Apr 30, 2013
"they said nothing"

"if GM had been more proactive with their customers, the outcome then might have been different."

What??!!?
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#3741 Apr 30, 2013
Post 3740.
Another frivolous and needlessly provocative post.
"The devil makes him do it!!"

Yes, they surprised everyone with the unexpected bankruptcy--
Whether one admits that was the case or not, at least one can't deny GM did go bankrupt and did rely on taxpayers to bail them out.
Not only that, the taxpayers lost a few billion on the stock swap.
How's that for exemplary business acumen?
At least Tesla is up front about their situation.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3742 Apr 30, 2013
Post 3741
Another frivolous and needlessly provocative post.
"The devil makes him do it!!"

Your comments are laughable at best. You probably missed the numerous warnings, endless media coverage, hearings on Capital Hill.. etc..
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3743 Apr 30, 2013
Here's another intersting point about the Volt, in its first full year it generated over $1,000,000,000 (nine zeros, no typo) in revenue. That is much higher than Prius year one. Prius is now the #3 selling car worldwide... that is not a bad template to follow.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#3744 Apr 30, 2013
Post 3741.
Another frivolous and antagonistic post.
"The actions of others cause him to lose it" whenever others post something he reacts to.
Jim Smatters

United States

#3745 Apr 30, 2013
The more people learn about the Volt the more they develop a respect for it.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3746 Apr 30, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
Post 3741.
Another frivolous and antagonistic post.
"The actions of others cause him to lose it" whenever others post something he reacts to.
Yes, we finally agree. Your post #3741 is totally frivolous and antagonistic. Is this a new leaf you're turning? I don't trust you but we'll keep an open eye and observe how you conduct yourself from this point forward. If you start acting stupid again the bet is off.

Volt is revolutionary.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3747 Apr 30, 2013
Jim Smatters wrote:
The more people learn about the Volt the more they develop a respect for it.
Agree 100%. That's one of the reasons I say the Volt is revolutionary. Just look at the amount of attention it gets here. It's great, I don't even remember the prius getting this much talk back in the day.
Jim Smatters

United States

#3748 Apr 30, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Agree 100%. That's one of the reasons I say the Volt is revolutionary. Just look at the amount of attention it gets here. It's great, I don't even remember the prius getting this much talk back in the day.
One of the problems we find is the media. We get between 44 and 50 miles to a charge. Yesterday I read an ABC article that was supportive of the Volt but the author went on about how the car can't charge on 120. Totally wrong statement. If the media doesn't understand how the car works, it's hard to explain how it really works on an internet blog. We are averaging mpg in the hundreds. Word to the wise, do your homework.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3749 Apr 30, 2013
Here’s a great quote that truly gives the Volt a real Atta boy:

I expected a science fair experiment,” said auto industry veteran Chris Theodore speaking of the Volt last year.“But this is a moonshot.”

Volt later went on to add Car of the Year to its exceptionally long list of prestigious awards and accolades. It just warms my heart see the kind words and just wanted to thank all the good people that worked on this car for years and years. And thank you for not rushing it to market. The prolonged testing cycles and real world Here’s a great quote that truly gives the Volt a real Atta boy:

I expected a science fair experiment,” said auto industry veteran Chris Theodore speaking of the Volt last year.“But this is a moonshot.”

Volt later went on to add Car of the Year to its exceptionally long list of prestigious awards and accolades. It just warms my heart see the kind words and just wanted to thank all the good people that worked on this car for years and years. And thank you for not rushing it to market. Without the prolonged testing cycles and real world events, there’s no telling what might have happened.
runs literally helped this car achieve what we have grown to appreciate today.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3750 Apr 30, 2013
Modern Day Vega wrote:
<quoted text>
More lies from the number # 1 Volt shill. The Fords and Toyotas are traditional Hybrids with plug in recharging systems, and programmed to depend more on battery power until the juice starts running low. So cut your BS, at least be honest, no other manufacturer uses a Volt type of system; I'm not surprised.
Wrong again, dude. They are called "mild" series plug in hybrids. They can go full electric as long as you do not go over a certain speed. Then it reverts to a parallel hybrid.

There are four types of hybrids. The mild series plug in hybrids did not come along until the Volt was built. There were mild series hybrids, but they were not plug ins.

The Ford C-Max parallel hybrid is a non plug in. The C-Max Energi is a plug in that uses the E charge first. You can go much faster than a regular c-max before the car reverts to gas. It is therefore a cross between a series and a parallel.

A parallel hybrid, when started runs on gas. Always. A mild series plug in and a full series always starts in electric. The Mercedes can be drive 30 miles on pure electric. All the mild series plug ins can be driven faster in E than their counterpart parallel hybrids.

The reason these companies won't build a car based purely on the Volt is because of patents. It's not that they don't want to, pal. Believe me, they want to.

Why do you think the plug in Prius is getting such bad reviews from people who have bought them? They thought they were getting a "Volt" Prius.

Toyota can not build a car based on the Voltech technology. Not legally anyway.

That is why the 100 mpg, Via motors full sized pick up truck is the Volt on steroids. They are sharing the patents with GM. Nobody else can. They copy it as much as possible.

Once again, they created plug in mild series hybrids because of the Volt. If you don't think so, you are fooling yourself. There were no plug ins before the Volt.

You should inform yourself.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3751 Apr 30, 2013
Ford got bailed out in 2006.$23 billion in government backed loans.

Haters don't cry about that.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#3752 Apr 30, 2013
Post 3746--by an author calling himself Root.

He responds to another individual's post by simply cut pasting that individual's earlier post and repeating it himself.
Another example of his vexatious and confrontational style.
Yet hey continues to insist it's other's actions which "Make him do that"

Here's another example of his out of control responses....

Quote--Post 867 in the "Sad Day At Toyota" thread, 2 hours ago:

"Life is good here as well, but you still failed to answer the question about consumers’ knowledge of recalls. I’m not surprised.
Did your wife shave her crotch? Don’t want any pubic hair getting into the drinks."

Please note the rather gross last sentence.
He insists that others "make him act that way"

Figure it out for yourself.
Is this a civil, trustworthy, and emotionally mature person?
I suggest not.
Gizmo

Toronto, Canada

#3753 Apr 30, 2013
To Luvmyvolt:

You are known by the friends you keep.
Here's how your friend in this forum conducts himself:

Quote--Post 86--It's A Sad Day At Toyota....Quote:
"Did your wife shave her crotch? Don’t want any pubic hair getting into the drink"

This is not uncommon from that individual
He consistently insists that others "make him act that way"

Someone you would look to as a friend and supporter?
I suggest not.

It would be interesting to hear if you welcome and endorse conduct like that from anyone.

Keep in mind that if you don't respond, that "Silence is approval"
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3754 Apr 30, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, dude. They are called "mild" series plug in hybrids. They can go full electric as long as you do not go over a certain speed. Then it reverts to a parallel hybrid.
There are four types of hybrids. The mild series plug in hybrids did not come along until the Volt was built. There were mild series hybrids, but they were not plug ins.
The Ford C-Max parallel hybrid is a non plug in. The C-Max Energi is a plug in that uses the E charge first. You can go much faster than a regular c-max before the car reverts to gas. It is therefore a cross between a series and a parallel.
A parallel hybrid, when started runs on gas. Always. A mild series plug in and a full series always starts in electric. The Mercedes can be drive 30 miles on pure electric. All the mild series plug ins can be driven faster in E than their counterpart parallel hybrids.
The reason these companies won't build a car based purely on the Volt is because of patents. It's not that they don't want to, pal. Believe me, they want to.
Why do you think the plug in Prius is getting such bad reviews from people who have bought them? They thought they were getting a "Volt" Prius.
Toyota can not build a car based on the Voltech technology. Not legally anyway.
That is why the 100 mpg, Via motors full sized pick up truck is the Volt on steroids. They are sharing the patents with GM. Nobody else can. They copy it as much as possible.
Once again, they created plug in mild series hybrids because of the Volt. If you don't think so, you are fooling yourself. There were no plug ins before the Volt.
You should inform yourself.
Good stuff, thanks for all you do.

“Irrefutable Harm”

Since: Mar 09

Miami Beach Fl.

#3755 Apr 30, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
To Luvmyvolt:
You are known by the friends you keep.
Here's how your friend in this forum conducts himself:
Quote--Post 86--It's A Sad Day At Toyota....Quote:
"Did your wife shave her crotch? Don’t want any pubic hair getting into the drink"
This is not uncommon from that individual
He consistently insists that others "make him act that way"
Someone you would look to as a friend and supporter?
I suggest not.
It would be interesting to hear if you welcome and endorse conduct like that from anyone.
Keep in mind that if you don't respond, that "Silence is approval"
This is what I'd say to my wife. Shave that sht off yo coot. We don't need all that bush peaking out the back end if the bikini.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3756 Apr 30, 2013
What I’ve found over the years is that to build a following of loyal citizens you must first like -- if not love -- your fellow man, and show this in your honesty, integrity, and interactions with others. You must get along with and have the ability to deal with all types of different individuals. If one takes this advice and practices it, they will once again be welcomed to the forum.
Jim Smatters

United States

#3757 Apr 30, 2013
We topped the 200 mpg mark in our Volt! This is the first time we hit it. Our normal is 120 mpg normal driving with a 45 electric range. Now if we could just get our son to stop flooring it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Original Xhorse VVDI2 BMW Key Programmer Feedback Fri tuita 3
VVDI2 Xhorse - Where to get the original? Thu lalaura 1
News Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for racially-charge... (Mar '16) Aug 16 Chauntyll Allen 27
Buy 2017 New V1.70 Opel OP-COM 2016 Aug 16 OPCOM 2016 3
$39.00 WOW 5.00.12 USB Version OBD2 Diagnostic ... Aug 16 wow 50012 3
VVDI2 4.3.0 works great in BMW FEM coding/progr... Aug 15 lalaura 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Aug 15 Latintony1 314
More from around the web