Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 10484 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3527 Apr 19, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Point #1, thanks for proving my point. I stated that many of the cars that the volt outsold were very high end cars that only appeal to a very small portion of the population such as BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S Class and others like them, I will also bet that the volt out sold the Bentley, Rolls as well as the AMG Mercedes. The only fly in your thought process is that none of the cars you or Mentioned were built as gas saving daily commuters.
Point #2, I see that documented facts such as my sales figures for the first eight months of 2012 (facts that are documented and can be found on the internet as well as chevy web sites qualify as spam when they go against your rants.
Point #3 about the 100K mile figure. If it has been stated and restated without being proven untrue than you must not be able to deny the truth of the statement.
Point #4, and last, I have a good friend who was general manager at a chevy store in Florida and he told me how the salesmen and others at the dealerships would joke about the volt and it's pathetic sales figures when customers were not around.
Which Chevrolet will go down in history as the worst car, The corvair of Ralph Nader fame, The Vega that you could hear RUST on a quiet night, or the Volt that has never met any sales expectations and was rushed into production before chevy had the technology to support it?
Easy to say ... oh so hard to prove. Links dude.

17 months ... 8 gallons of gas purchased. What an awesome car. And I love the way you say that a 37 mpg Elantra is great. My charging costs equate to 100 mpg when gas is $2.70 a gallon. Have you seen $2.70 a gallon lately???? 37 mpg is a gas hog dude. I would cringe if I had to pay that much per mile again.

Chevy Volt owners have saved 9 million gallons of gas. At $4 a gallon in CA (where most Volts are sold), that is a savings of $36 million.

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht...

37 mpg? Wow. That is ancient technology my friend.

OK Dolt, you can come out of the closet now.

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#3528 Apr 20, 2013
Yep, you just got to love these few Volt owners. One stupid SOB says that you can not compare the Volt with econoboxes? What the hell is the Volt, just a Chevy Cruz with a different type of power. Even chevy admitted that they over estimated the electric range of the Volt as they did not factor in the facts that the heater and air conditioner would have to work off of the same electricity as the volt electric motor and thus making real world range less than estimated range.
Now we have a newly admitted gay little lad wanting everybody to join him in coming out of the closet. I guess that his admission does give fact to the stereotype of the type of people who actually purchase a Volt.

Judged:

15

15

15

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3529 Apr 20, 2013
Silent echo AKA dolt has been reduced to personal attacks. This is good.

Debate lost.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#3530 Apr 20, 2013
Root wrote:
Silent echo AKA dolt has been reduced to personal attacks. This is good.
Debate lost.
Actually no, I won the debate by bringing into the debate sales stats that fell and continue to fall short of even the modest goal of Chevrolet. I also gave the factual equation of Volt price as opposed to the price of a Hyundai or Toyota would force the Volt driver to drive at least 100K miles on electric and no gas to get anywhere near even on return on the dollar of the Hyundai or Toyota and this did not even figure in the recharge cost on the Volt. I also gave the factual information of the Volt factory closing down for Sept of 2012 because of excess inventory and weak sales. You have given NOTHING but emotional statements and what ifs and this will be a good idea. Game set and match, I won the debate several post ago, the personal attack was for grins and giggles.

Judged:

12

12

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root Echoes Dolt

Shreveport, LA

#3531 Apr 20, 2013
Actually yes.

You lost the debate on two fronts. One you create a premise that Volt is unsuitable for you because of your driving distance therefore it must be compared to cheap econo-box cars and thus is monetarily unfeasible for your needs. Sadly you fail to address the rebut brought to you earlier by another poster regarding the price of the Volt and the return if used properly which is as it was intended. Secondly you resort to personal attacks for what you describe as grins and giggles.

Interestingly you still attempt to say production of the Volt was stopped because of inventory at the same time failing to admit the Volt is beating every other car in its class.

Advice: donít use capitalization for emphasis, it makes you look thick. Of course, one that comes to a pro Volt thread to degrade the Volt should be expected to come across as such.
Good night, more tomorrow Iím sure.

Garlic?

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#3532 Apr 21, 2013
Root Echoes Dolt wrote:
Actually yes.
You lost the debate on two fronts. One you create a premise that Volt is unsuitable for you because of your driving distance therefore it must be compared to cheap econo-box cars and thus is monetarily unfeasible for your needs. Sadly you fail to address the rebut brought to you earlier by another poster regarding the price of the Volt and the return if used properly which is as it was intended. Secondly you resort to personal attacks for what you describe as grins and giggles.
Interestingly you still attempt to say production of the Volt was stopped because of inventory at the same time failing to admit the Volt is beating every other car in its class.
Advice: donít use capitalization for emphasis, it makes you look thick. Of course, one that comes to a pro Volt thread to degrade the Volt should be expected to come across as such.
Good night, more tomorrow Iím sure.
Garlic?
It is you who refuses to grade the Volt on the two historic marks that either make or break anything brought to the market place, sales figures and bottom line. The Volt is an econo-box as it is the external twin of its more successful twin, the cruz.
You keep proudly stating how the volt beats every car in its class, well, so did the Hummer and we all know what happened to the domestic version of that bad idea.
Electric cars like the volt will have a place in the future, there is no doubt, but the volt was rushed into production before the technology was there to make the car practical. Government Motors has had a history full of cars that looked good on paper and flopped at the sales department. I still stand by my original premise, at 18K for a PROVEN Hyundai Elantra is 23K less than a volt. At four dollars a gallon that is 5,750 gallons of gas and at 30MPG per gallon that comes to 172,5000 miles that must be driven on electric power before the Volt even starts to show any competition between the two cars. How many people keep any car long enough to put 172,500 on it? I know that you will start with your econo-box whine, but people who purchase the volt figure to be saving money in the long run, however, did they figure on a 172,500 mile pace lap before that run begins?

Judged:

11

11

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Welfare Mobile

Trumbull, CT

#3533 Apr 21, 2013
Gas prices dropping like crazy; at this rate, it will take 15 years to break even. Just wait until to freebies start going away.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3534 Apr 21, 2013
Let me help you. When you think about Volt, say these things repeatedly: Best in Class, Highest reward recipient, happiest owners, highly tested and proven, revolutionary.

Repeat

Repeat again

This should help erase all the silly things youíve read in magazines.

Later we can address why you feel the need to come to a pro Volt thread and complain about a car you donít like.

Truckin with garlic!

Judged:

12

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3535 Apr 21, 2013
Let me help you. When you think about Volt, say these things repeatedly: Best in Class, Highest reward recipient, happiest owners, highly tested and proven, revolutionary.

Repeat.

Repeat again.

This should help erase all the silly things youíve read in magazines.

Later we can address why you feel the need to come to a pro Volt thread and complain about a car you donít like.

Truckin with garlic!

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3536 Apr 21, 2013
Root wrote:
Let me help you. When you think about Volt, say these things repeatedly: Best in Class, Highest reward recipient, happiest owners, highly tested and proven, revolutionary.
Repeat.
Repeat again.
This should help erase all the silly things youíve read in magazines.
Later we can address why you feel the need to come to a pro Volt thread and complain about a car you donít like.
Truckin with garlic!
It's just the Dolt and Pete in disguise. I'm not even answering these guys. They've been spanked so many times here that they have to change their names to make it look like other haters have come on.

I guess the dolter didn't understand when I said that gas has to come down to $2.70 a gallon before I go under the 100 mpg mark, which is still 75 mpg better that what he gets. Ho humm.

He also didn't understand when I told him that my son is driving a free car. Old gas bill $345. New charging bill,$12. Car payment,$299. They're just jealous.

Oh ... and what are they going to do when there are a half billion cars in China in 7 years?

http://blogs.worldwatch.org/revolt/china-aims...

And anaother half billion cars in India in 7 years?

http://indiatransportportal.com/2012/11/vehic...

There are 1 billion cars in the world right now. That means there will be double the amount of cars in the world in just 7 years. Where do they think those countries will get their gas? I have a news flash for the Dolter and Pete .... gas goes to the highest bidder. Oil companies are only patriotic to their pockets.

There are lots of rosy predictions about the price of oil and gas, but not one of them take into consideration the demand of those two countries, let alone the population grown of the rest of the world.

The sites that do take those demands into consideration report prices such as this.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_03_12/OECD-foreca...

The only reason prices are going down now is people are driving less and buying more fuel efficient cars. China bought 18 million cars last year. 6 million more than we have ever purchased in the USA. They will be buying 30 million cars per year by 2020. 80% of China's population is still poor. Wait until that middle class starts growing.

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3537 Apr 21, 2013
Hyundia Elantra GT (tin can)$18,545
My Volt $31,800
Difference -$13,255

Gas for Elantra -$1,500 per year =$7,500 in 5 years.
Total cost in 5 years =$26,045

Cost of Volt minus $7,500 for money that is put in my stock account instead of a gas tank
$24,300.

After 5 years, the Elantra costs $2,000 more than my Volt.

This does not include the fact that I may never have to change my brakes. Also doesn't include that I have to change my oil only ever other year.

Sorry Dolter. You got your butt spanked on this subject before.

Kiplinger Investment Group says the Volt makes up the difference in price in 5 years over a Cruze, which is more expensive than an Elantra. Somebody needs to hone his math skills.

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/cars/T009-C0...

Once again Dolt, gas has to come down to $2.70 before I dip under the 100 mpg mark. Ahhhh .... don't get your feelings hurt. When you're at the pump, and you see me glide by in my awesome Volt .... flip me off. You'll feel better.

Elantra curb weight - 2,700 lbs (tin can)

Volt curb weight - 3,781 lbs (drives like a dream)

1,000 lbs heavier and still gets 100 mpg + more than the tin can.

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3538 Apr 22, 2013
Yep! When you think about Volt, say these things repeatedly: Best in Class, Highest reward recipient, happiest owners, highly tested and proven, revolutionary.

Judged:

14

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
The Welfare Mobile

Trumbull, CT

#3539 Apr 22, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just the Dolt and Pete in disguise. I'm not even answering these guys. They've been spanked so many times here that they have to change their names to make it look like other haters have come on.
I guess the dolter didn't understand when I said that gas has to come down to $2.70 a gallon before I go under the 100 mpg mark, which is still 75 mpg better that what he gets. Ho humm.
He also didn't understand when I told him that my son is driving a free car. Old gas bill $345. New charging bill,$12. Car payment,$299. They're just jealous.
Oh ... and what are they going to do when there are a half billion cars in China in 7 years?
http://blogs.worldwatch.org/revolt/china-aims...
And anaother half billion cars in India in 7 years?
http://indiatransportportal.com/2012/11/vehic...
There are 1 billion cars in the world right now. That means there will be double the amount of cars in the world in just 7 years. Where do they think those countries will get their gas? I have a news flash for the Dolter and Pete .... gas goes to the highest bidder. Oil companies are only patriotic to their pockets.
There are lots of rosy predictions about the price of oil and gas, but not one of them take into consideration the demand of those two countries, let alone the population grown of the rest of the world.
The sites that do take those demands into consideration report prices such as this.
http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_03_12/OECD-foreca...
The only reason prices are going down now is people are driving less and buying more fuel efficient cars. China bought 18 million cars last year. 6 million more than we have ever purchased in the USA. They will be buying 30 million cars per year by 2020. 80% of China's population is still poor. Wait until that middle class starts growing.
Thanks, your posts are always good for a laugh. BTW is the average Volt owner you run into at the Rallies a lowlife slob like your buddy rooty.

Judged:

14

14

14

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3540 Apr 22, 2013
Please let me help you. When you think about Volt, say these things repeatedly: Best in Class, Highest reward recipient, happiest owners, highly tested and proven, revolutionary.

Repeat

Repeat again

This should help erase all the silly things youíve read in magazines.

Later we can address why you feel the need to come to a pro Volt thread and complain about a car you donít like.

Truckin with garlic!

Judged:

13

13

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3541 Apr 22, 2013
Welfare Mobile & Silent Echo .... a.k.a. Dolter & Petey .... they say.

"Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!!!"

Volt .... Most loved car ever. Most awarded car ever. Most economic car ever.

Hmmmm ... they all go hand in hand.

Dolter ... you put more money in your SUV's gas tank last week than I have ever put in my Volt in 17 months. So much for having to drive 125,000 miles to make up my money.

Oh no!!! Another happy Volt owner!!! Why won't they shut up?

(read the comments) Not you Pete and Dolter

http://chevroletvoltage.com/volt-blog/18-volt...

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3543 Apr 22, 2013
Society Of Automotive Engineers (SAE International is a global association of more than 128,000 engineers and related technical experts in the aerospace, automotive and commercial-vehicle industries.)

Oh no .... they named the Volt "Best Engineered Car" .... oh no .... are they a bunch of liars also? What is the world coming to?

Judged:

13

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#3544 Apr 23, 2013
What a joke...

gov motors is nothing more than poorly staged marketing hype on bailout...

as a matter of fact it has no technology of its own to speak of...

it doesn't even have it's own IT dept yet...

and still uses aol dialup.

Too Funny.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pete

Wyoming, MI

#3545 Apr 23, 2013
Pete wrote:
What a joke...

gov motors is nothing more than poorly staged marketing hype on bailout...

as a matter of fact it has no technology of its own to speak of...

it doesn't even have it's own IT dept yet...

and still uses aol dialup.

Too Funny.
Wifey says:
That's very true...

let's speak facts here as the obamamobile is a good example of this...

fact #1- a $45k golf cart that gets 30 mpg on high test gasoline...

fact #2- and catches on fire while setting in the garage...

plugged in or not.

fact #3- exists only on Tax Payer Bailout...

fact #4- for the only purpose of saving existing union jobs.

Too Funny.

Judged:

12

12

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pete

Shreveport, LA

#3546 Apr 23, 2013
What a joke...

toyota motors is nothing more than poorly staged marketing hype on bailout...

as a matter of fact it has no technology of its own to speak of...

it doesn't even have it's own IT dept yet...

and still uses aol dialup.

Too Funny.

Judged:

11

11

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pete

Shreveport, LA

#3547 Apr 23, 2013
Wifey says:
That's very true...

let's speak facts here as the toyota prius welfare mobile is a good example of this...

fact #1- a $45k golf cart that gets 30 mpg on high test gasoline...

fact #2- and catches on fire while setting in the garage...

plugged in or not.

fact #3- exists only on Tax Payer Bailout...

fact #4- for the only purpose of saving existing union jobs.

Too Funny.

I love my Volt.

Judged:

13

13

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Julian Castro: Clinton emails a 'witch hunt' 8 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 58
News Itís a Sad Day at Toyota (Jun '10) May 25 Francene 1,152
News There are still 6,000 first-gen Chevy Volts on ... May 25 Solarman 1
News Senate Dems block trade measure May 23 serfs up 5
News Weekly Recap: GM plans massive new paint shop a... May 23 Just one 1
GM Problems - Are You Having Problems With Your... (Aug '08) May 23 ccherdrem43701 383
Nasty Canadian Jap Car News May 22 Silent Echo 21
More from around the web