Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#3507 Apr 16, 2013
Silent Echo

Colonial Heights, VA

#3509 Apr 18, 2013
You just got to love these stupid SOBs who refuse to admit that the Volt is a sales place flop. At the low price of 41K and the high with added on expenses about 44K one would have to drive the Volt over 100K miles to get on an even playing field with the Hyundai Elantra which gets between 37 and 40 MPG. Even chevy has stopped their little bogus advertising with the dozens of volt owners who got on TV to say how much they liked their volt. Sales figures do not lie, the Volt was presented to the American buying public and the public in massive numbers rejected it.

Chevy lemons, Corvair, Vega and Volt.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3510 Apr 18, 2013
The Welfare Mobile wrote:
It's sad to see the government must have dolts like iluvmyVolt making financial decisions for the big gubamint motors scam. Buy high sell low!
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/feds-unlo...
So much for us being a welfare state. There are only 3 countries in the free world that are taxed less than we are.

There are 29 that are taxed more than we are.

http://www.truthfulpolitics.com/http:/truthfu...

Big gubamint? People come from all over the world to live free here. And they come from other free world countries.

Whiners and complainers. It's a miracle that their heads don't explode ... for nothing ... just hatred.

Take a chill pill.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3511 Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Silent Echo

Colonial Heights, VA

#3512 Apr 19, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for us being a welfare state. There are only 3 countries in the free world that are taxed less than we are.
There are 29 that are taxed more than we are.
http://www.truthfulpolitics.com/http:/truthfu...
Big gubamint? People come from all over the world to live free here. And they come from other free world countries.
Whiners and complainers. It's a miracle that their heads don't explode ... for nothing ... just hatred.
Take a chill pill.
Yes, they also come from the Middle East to fly airplanes into buildings, the former Soviet Union to place bombs in trash cans and for other reasons. Please do not think that all who come to this country come for such altruistric reasons.

For your edification Big Government is a concept and not a percentage, in Cuba Big Government means not having any jobs in the private sector and everybody working for the government. In the United States Big Government means the infringement of historical rights. Your application of simplistic answers for complex problems is rather juvenile.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3513 Apr 19, 2013
Poor dolt, he tries so hard.

Volt outsold over half of all cars sold in the USA last year.

Itís like debating with a petulant child, their hissy fits speak volumes to their lack of knowledge about the situation
Silent Echo

Colonial Heights, VA

#3514 Apr 19, 2013
Root wrote:
Poor dolt, he tries so hard.
Volt outsold over half of all cars sold in the USA last year.
Itís like debating with a petulant child, their hissy fits speak volumes to their lack of knowledge about the situation
When you get over your emotional rant, allow me to apply some 2012 sales figures for the period of Jan of 2012 through Aug of 2012. At the start of the year Chevy had a sales goal of 40K units for the volt. At the end of August the sales had actually been a little under 13,500 units trending to a little under 20k for the year of half of the original goal. In Sept. some of the factories that produce the volt were shut down for extended periods because of excess inventory of Volts on hand. You talk about Volt outsold half of the cars sold in the US? That figure includes cars that are not made as big sellers such as the Aston Martins, Jags and other high ticket cars. Also such cars as The Smart Car which is a joke made in France for MB.
You place the volt against Toyota camary, Hyundai Elantra and Sonata and you will see just how pathetic Volt sales are. Again I say that I own both a Mazda 5 and a Hyundai Elantra and Volt owners would have to drive 100K miles of electric travel before the difference in price of the Volt and my vehicles would be close. Then you might see if the Volt had all that much savings. My daily commute is over 35 miles ergo the Volt is not made to go that far on electric and the gas mileage of the Volt gas engine is far worse than either of my vehicles. Again I say, in the court of sales, the Volt has been a flop.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3515 Apr 19, 2013
No rant here dolt. Much spam there though.

Hardly, letís take a look at some of the cars it outsold;

Audi A6
BMW 7 series
Mercedes S Class
MKS
Etc.

The factory (only one) that produces the Volt was stopped for retooling. Sadly youíre only privy to magazine articles via the internet.

Iím not even going to get into your 100K remark. Itís already been beat to death on this forum.

Hey, if your commute is further than 35 miles, donít buy a Volt. Itís not for you and it wasnít built for you. Get it?

Good, now itís obvious you hate the Volt. Why come to a pro-Volt thread and knock the car? There are plenty of other places you can spew your anti Volt spam and people will enjoy it.

Garlic?
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#3516 Apr 19, 2013
Wifey says:
As a reminder, facts only...

gov motors sells to rentals and dealer lots only...

not to people.

too funny.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#3517 Apr 19, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:

gov motors sells to rentals and dealer lots only...

not to people.

too funny.
That's very true...

and almost all of them are still on the dealers lots.

Too Funny.
Pete

Shreveport, LA

#3518 Apr 19, 2013
Wifey says:

toyota sells to rentals and dealer lots only...

not to people.

too funny.
Pete

Shreveport, LA

#3519 Apr 19, 2013
That's very true...

and almost all of them toyota's are still on the dealers lots.

Too Funny.
Silent Echo

Colonial Heights, VA

#3520 Apr 19, 2013
Root wrote:
No rant here dolt. Much spam there though.
Hardly, letís take a look at some of the cars it outsold;
Audi A6
BMW 7 series
Mercedes S Class
MKS
Etc.
The factory (only one) that produces the Volt was stopped for retooling. Sadly youíre only privy to magazine articles via the internet.
Iím not even going to get into your 100K remark. Itís already been beat to death on this forum.
Hey, if your commute is further than 35 miles, donít buy a Volt. Itís not for you and it wasnít built for you. Get it?
Good, now itís obvious you hate the Volt. Why come to a pro-Volt thread and knock the car? There are plenty of other places you can spew your anti Volt spam and people will enjoy it.
Garlic?
Point #1, thanks for proving my point. I stated that many of the cars that the volt outsold were very high end cars that only appeal to a very small portion of the population such as BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S Class and others like them, I will also bet that the volt out sold the Bentley, Rolls as well as the AMG Mercedes. The only fly in your thought process is that none of the cars you or Mentioned were built as gas saving daily commuters.

Point #2, I see that documented facts such as my sales figures for the first eight months of 2012 (facts that are documented and can be found on the internet as well as chevy web sites qualify as spam when they go against your rants.

Point #3 about the 100K mile figure. If it has been stated and restated without being proven untrue than you must not be able to deny the truth of the statement.

Point #4, and last, I have a good friend who was general manager at a chevy store in Florida and he told me how the salesmen and others at the dealerships would joke about the volt and it's pathetic sales figures when customers were not around.

Which Chevrolet will go down in history as the worst car, The corvair of Ralph Nader fame, The Vega that you could hear RUST on a quiet night, or the Volt that has never met any sales expectations and was rushed into production before chevy had the technology to support it?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3521 Apr 19, 2013
Lol go spew your puke elsewhere. The Volt is ating the competition and should never be compared to cheap econoboxes. Might you be a sore loser? Move along son.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3522 Apr 19, 2013
Lol go spew your puke elsewhere. The Volt is beating the competition and should never be compared to cheap econoboxes. Might you be a sore loser? Move along son.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3523 Apr 19, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they also come from the Middle East to fly airplanes into buildings, the former Soviet Union to place bombs in trash cans and for other reasons. Please do not think that all who come to this country come for such altruistric reasons.
For your edification Big Government is a concept and not a percentage, in Cuba Big Government means not having any jobs in the private sector and everybody working for the government. In the United States Big Government means the infringement of historical rights. Your application of simplistic answers for complex problems is rather juvenile.
The Middle East is funded by oil. We give them billions for their oil. We then spend $50 billion every year to protect them. They then turn around and give money to terrorists.

Your inability to see that a one time $7.5 billion subsidy to get us off of oil is better than the billions we give to terrorists for your gas.

$50 billion a year is big government. Running an electric car off of solar is freedom.

Sorry you can't see that. There is nothing simplistic about facts. You pick and chose. That is your problem. You claim Obama is taxing us to death. I prove to you that we are one of the least taxed people on earth. Reagan raised taxes 11 times as President, but I don't hear anybody complaining. Must be the color of his skin.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3524 Apr 19, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
When you get over your emotional rant, allow me to apply some 2012 ..........You place the volt against Toyota camary, Hyundai Elantra and Sonata and you will see just how pathetic Volt sales are. Again I say that I own both a Mazda 5 and a Hyundai Elantra and Volt owners would have to drive 100K miles of electric travel before the difference in price of the Volt and my vehicles would be close. Then you might see if the Volt had all that much savings. My daily commute is over 35 miles ergo the Volt is not made to go that far on electric and the gas mileage of the Volt gas engine is far worse than either of my vehicles. Again I say, in the court of sales, the Volt has been a flop.
My son drives 82 miles a day for 40 cents in his Volt. His old gas bill for his commute was $325 a month. Guess you're wrong. I guess you missed all the debate about how we save.

You're either another lying hater or you're the Dolt. Either way. Here we go again.

I bought my Volt for $31,800
You bought a similar optioned car for $24,000

After 5 years, you spent $1,200 a year on gas.=$6,000 =$30,000 total.
I didn't spend $1,200 a year on gas but did spend $250 a year on charging.=$4,750 in my bank account =$27,050 for my Volt.

You can't compare the Volt to the cars you named. While they are nice cars, they can't come close to the smooth & quite ride of the Volt. I drove Cadillac's for 35 years. I wouldn't trade all of my Caddy's for my Volt. Period.

Kiplinger Investment group agrees with we happy Volt owners. They say we will recoup against a Cruze in 5 years. That's a Cruze with fewer options.
http://www.kiplinger.com/article/cars/T009-C0...

Root is right about the shut down of the plant. Guess your hater web sites didn't tell you that.

Volt production shut down due to re-tooling for 2014 Impala.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/drive...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120828/carn...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/drive...

Volt's only get 35 miles on electric? I've only gotten under 36 twice in 17 months. I average 43.

Here's a guy that got 70 miles

Here's a guy that gets 48
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Here's a guy that gets 46

This is my little video of proof of a 50 mile range. FYI, range is miles driven + miles left on the charge.

I have broken the 50 mile range about 5 times. Even on the freeway, I get 38. Guess you haven't been keeping up with happy Volt owners news ... eh?

I've driven 11,000 miles and purchased only 8 gallons of gas. My monthly electric bill for my entire house including my car is under $70 a month. You pay more for gas in one week, let alone your electric bill.

Finally, the European Volt (Ampera) won the Monte Carlo Alternative Fuel Rally. Took 3 other spots in the top 10. It beat out the world's best diesel and bio-diesel's for efficiency. It also beet out Tesla and all other electrics and plug in's and hybrids. It is the most fuel efficient car in the world.
http://www.carscoops.com/2012/03/opel-ampera-...

This is why Diesel Car Publication named the Volt "Best Eco Car".
http://www.dieselcaronline.co.uk/news/car-of-...

Sorry pal, your misinformed rants don't cut it here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3525 Apr 19, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
You just got to love these stupid SOBs who refuse to admit that the Volt is a sales place flop. At the low price of 41K and the high with added on expenses about 44K one would have to drive the Volt over 100K miles to get on an even playing field with the Hyundai Elantra which gets between 37 and 40 MPG. Even chevy has stopped their little bogus advertising with the dozens of volt owners who got on TV to say how much they liked their volt. Sales figures do not lie, the Volt was presented to the American buying public and the public in massive numbers rejected it.
Chevy lemons, Corvair, Vega and Volt.
Guess you didn't know that the Volt is outselling the Prius for it's first two years .... eh? Pretty stupid calling a car a flop after only two years of sales.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/01/05/che...

And Root is right again ... the Volt is already selling 50% of all cars sold in America.

Guess those other cars are flops also ... eh?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3527 Apr 19, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Point #1, thanks for proving my point. I stated that many of the cars that the volt outsold were very high end cars that only appeal to a very small portion of the population such as BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S Class and others like them, I will also bet that the volt out sold the Bentley, Rolls as well as the AMG Mercedes. The only fly in your thought process is that none of the cars you or Mentioned were built as gas saving daily commuters.
Point #2, I see that documented facts such as my sales figures for the first eight months of 2012 (facts that are documented and can be found on the internet as well as chevy web sites qualify as spam when they go against your rants.
Point #3 about the 100K mile figure. If it has been stated and restated without being proven untrue than you must not be able to deny the truth of the statement.
Point #4, and last, I have a good friend who was general manager at a chevy store in Florida and he told me how the salesmen and others at the dealerships would joke about the volt and it's pathetic sales figures when customers were not around.
Which Chevrolet will go down in history as the worst car, The corvair of Ralph Nader fame, The Vega that you could hear RUST on a quiet night, or the Volt that has never met any sales expectations and was rushed into production before chevy had the technology to support it?
Easy to say ... oh so hard to prove. Links dude.

17 months ... 8 gallons of gas purchased. What an awesome car. And I love the way you say that a 37 mpg Elantra is great. My charging costs equate to 100 mpg when gas is $2.70 a gallon. Have you seen $2.70 a gallon lately???? 37 mpg is a gas hog dude. I would cringe if I had to pay that much per mile again.

Chevy Volt owners have saved 9 million gallons of gas. At $4 a gallon in CA (where most Volts are sold), that is a savings of $36 million.

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.ht...

37 mpg? Wow. That is ancient technology my friend.

OK Dolt, you can come out of the closet now.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Silent Echo

Colonial Heights, VA

#3528 Apr 20, 2013
Yep, you just got to love these few Volt owners. One stupid SOB says that you can not compare the Volt with econoboxes? What the hell is the Volt, just a Chevy Cruz with a different type of power. Even chevy admitted that they over estimated the electric range of the Volt as they did not factor in the facts that the heater and air conditioner would have to work off of the same electricity as the volt electric motor and thus making real world range less than estimated range.
Now we have a newly admitted gay little lad wanting everybody to join him in coming out of the closet. I guess that his admission does give fact to the stereotype of the type of people who actually purchase a Volt.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Retiring NASCAR star Danica Patrick hopes to ha... 14 hr Oink pharts 6
News Video: RC toy car cruises down Houston freeway ... Thu LONG FARTS 3
What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08) Jan 16 Retired Master Tech 218
More toyota Junk (Jun '07) Jan 12 Canada Rocks 338
Lonsdor K518ise key programmer Free update Ė Fiat Jan 11 lanny717 1
News Tony Stewart's Having A Rough Few Weeks Jan 11 AgreePhart 124
News The 2018 Mazda 3 May Have The Best No-Bullshit ... Jan 11 Autoboner 2
More from around the web