Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: taintedgreen.com

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Comments
3,081 - 3,100 of 9,213 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 24
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Gizom is the one that votes.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

In your dreams Root!
Wrong again lizard.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

I love real world reviews by real Volt owners.

This is # 11:
"I have been driving Mercedes Benz automobiles for the past 20 years because I like well built, smooth, quiet rides. You can't get any smoother than an electric motor, so that part I knew would be good. What surprised me most though was the ride. It matched my CLK and bested my wife's C Class. She and I both live and work in a small town so we can stay on electric all the time. Our 80 mile trip to the lake on weekends is now a one gallon each way drive. She will be trading in her Mercedes on a Volt very soon. There is just nothing about this car that I don't like. I hope these things catch on because after the lease is up I don't think I can comfortably go back to all gas power. As an American, I'm very proud of what Chevrolet has accomplished with this car. I wish other American car makers would adopt the battery/generator concept. I'd love to have a Jeep Wrangler with this technology."

I know how he feels. I could never go back to Cadillac. Too noisy. Not as smooth.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Sheeeeeesh ... it would help to leave a link.

http://www.cars.com/chevrolet/volt/2012/consu...
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Apparently all is not as well with Volt as some would lead us to believe.
Below is a partial list of problems and complaints with Volt published by NHTSA.

www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/chevrolet/volt/
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Here's another interesting development re Volt issues:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2013/03/05/anot...

Might this be a cover up?
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Apparently there's at least one owner who isn't quite ecstatic about his Volt.
This is from Edmunds...

"I Hate this CAR, I hate it I hate it I hate it -

By jumblejumlbe on 02/08/13 18:08 PM (PST)

Vehicle
2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Review
This could be a reasonable car if you live in southern California and don't drive more than 20 miles a day. If that is not you, don't even think about buying this POS. It does not drive in the snow. When it's cold and the heater turns on it has to run a second generator motor which sounds like someone started a lawn mower in your trunk. I drive a lot, more than 300 miles a day, and while it has a charge the power and handling isn't bad, but since I drive on the highway a lot the charge doesnt last very long. once it switches to gas only its performance is horrible.. if you leave it for a few days and the bluetooth is on it'll drain your starting battery and you'll need to call service

Favorite Features
Interior styling is not terrible. Performance with a full charge in sport mode is great. If you value green over everything else this could be a good car....

Suggested Improvements
improve performance in gas only mode. improve cold weather and snow handling. Make it LESS annoying! it makes so many odd noises, like that strange WOOOSH sound when you push the start button. Here is my bottom line, I get this car for FREE from my company fleet, and I hate it so much I'm going to give it back and pay to drive sometime more practical."
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Just trying to establish a little balance in this forum.

More later, after LMV,Root, etc. get through trashing my offerings, above.

Have a nice day fellas.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

You are a hater. Looking over your soam/hate links, the Volt has a much better record than prius. Good for Volt.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Just looking at both sides of the equation Root.
Positives and negatives.
No need to keep losing control and being so defensive.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Root wrote:
You are a hater..
Not a hateful bone in my body Root.
On the other hand, you aren't showing much goodwill these days.
I'd say you've got a fair load of hate and bitterness going on in your life at the moment.
Is it so dreadfully threatening to you when someone looks at things with an open mind?
Jim Smatters

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

We like our Volt. I think you'll always find people that dislike a car for one reason or another. If we did it over we wouldn't change a thing. Like the other fellow Volt owner, we love our Volt.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

That's nice that you feel that way.
And you're right, for every one who likes a certain car, there will likely be someone who doesn't.
It's a matter of personal choice, and we should be thankful we live in a place where we have choices.
What I don't understand is the constant bickering about which car someone likes or doesn't.
To be honest, I've had a great many different cars, and all I can say is that some were better than others, but none was so good or so bad that I'd pick a fight with someone about it.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Gizmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a hateful bone in my body Root.
On the other hand, you aren't showing much goodwill these days.
I'd say you've got a fair load of hate and bitterness going on in your life at the moment.
Is it so dreadfully threatening to you when someone looks at things with an open mind?
At the lake today, just getting back to the computer

Losing control, so defensive, hate and bitterness, etc. these are the types of comments that result in people making fun of you.

Nobody would be saying any of those things about you if you didn’t act the way you do. Look at what you did today. Posted negative things about the Volt and then say “just trying to establish a little balance, just looking at both sides of the equation”.. what equation?

There is no equation. This is a pro-volt thread. It’s a positive thread about the Volt. Why do you find fault with it? Why can’t you just let people revel in their cars?

In the comment above you say not to fight about cars. No kidding, why are those people here starting the fights? Why do you get so annoyed at I love my volt for his good stories? Those are good stories. They don’t need your response to try to “balance” anything. If you agree great! If you don’t, why bother?

Why don’t you let us have our thing? Go debate some other car on another thread if you feel the need.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Jim Smatters wrote:
We like our Volt. I think you'll always find people that dislike a car for one reason or another. If we did it over we wouldn't change a thing. Like the other fellow Volt owner, we love our Volt.
No, this site has about 5 or 6 haters that logged in on this site. 5 from MI almost one right after the other. I called Petey out on it cuz he's from MI. They claim they bought the Volt, but they go on to spew the typical Volt hater garbage. Who would buy the Volt when they already hate it? Who in their right mind would buy a Volt when they drive 300 miles a day? And there are about 15 YouTube videos that show happy Volt owners driving in the snow.

This is a hater who logged in and spewed. Any Volt owner can tell you that.

Here is the KBB site that 5 haters from MI logged into. Go down about 15 reviews. In the meantime, read the real owners reviews.

http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/volt/2012-chevro...

Anybody can log into one of these sites and claim they own the Volt.

Do you notice that he didn't give us a link?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Also, the hater posted 2 links. One was 9 complaints about the Volt.

9 out of 35,000 Volt sold. That sounds pretty good to me.

Here's the Prius on the same web site:

2012 Prius. 51 complaints. This is a Volt is better than Prius forum.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/toyota/pr...

His second link is suspect because there is absolutely no connection between the gear "shifter" and the main battery. The shifter is a "mouse" that is connected to the computer. There is not even a direct connection between the shifter and the planetary gear. It is just software.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-chev...

Paragraph 7 from this link.

"Not to be too Star Trek–y here, but the Volt is practically a holodeck on wheels. The throttle is by wire, the regenerative brakes are by wire, and the oversize shifter in the center console is just a fancy electric switch. The steering wheel is actually connected to the front wheels, but its effort is managed by an electric power-assist system. The algorithms embedded in the Volt’s software mediate virtually all the sensations transmitted by the car to the driver. That’s not hydraulic pressure you feel when you step on the brakes but rather the feel one of the computers has determined you’d find satisfying. This is as close as any manufacturer has come to throwing four wheels on a driving simulator and selling it to the public."

The only part of the car that the big battery controls is the electric motors.

All the other functions (screens, etc.) are powered by the 12 volt battery, just like any other car.

If indeed there was a shock, it came from the 12 volt battery.

However, this is suspect to me.

Haters will hate. Just trying to be fair and square.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Root wrote:
<quoted text>
At the lake today, just getting back to the computer
Losing control, so defensive, hate and bitterness, etc. these are the types of comments that result in people making fun of you.
Nobody would be saying any of those things about you if you didn’t act the way you do. Look at what you did today. Posted negative things about the Volt and then say “just trying to establish a little balance, just looking at both sides of the equation”.. what equation?
There is no equation. This is a pro-volt thread. It’s a positive thread about the Volt. Why do you find fault with it? Why can’t you just let people revel in their cars?
In the comment above you say not to fight about cars. No kidding, why are those people here starting the fights? Why do you get so annoyed at I love my volt for his good stories? Those are good stories. They don’t need your response to try to “balance” anything. If you agree great! If you don’t, why bother?
Why don’t you let us have our thing? Go debate some other car on another thread if you feel the need.
Thanks dude. You want a good laugh? Go to page 146. The "Judge" voted 39 times!!!! I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that!!!

Talk about childish!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

The judge was on me in 5 minutes!!!! Hey judge!!! Give me 39 dude!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

I'm willing to bet
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

that he doesn't even .....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••