Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Root

Shreveport, LA

#3101 Apr 3, 2013
Can I get a few more negtives please? haha
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#3102 Apr 3, 2013
Wifey says:
the obamamobile is nothing but politically driven marketing hype.

GM and the Obama Administration have done what they can to prop up sales of the Volt and give the false appearance of success.

Too Funny.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#3103 Apr 3, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
the obamamobile is nothing but politically driven marketing hype.

GM and the Obama Administration have done what they can to prop up sales of the Volt and give the false appearance of success.

Too Funny.
The business strategy seems to be politically-driven, since there is no economic reason to pursue a technology that has been a proven failure in the free market, despite taxpayer subsidization.
Pete

New York, NY

#3104 Apr 3, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The business strategy seems to be politically-driven, since there is no economic reason to pursue a technology that has been a proven failure in the free market, despite taxpayer subsidization.
That's very true...

Too Funny.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3105 Apr 3, 2013
How does the SUV do in commuter traffic? My son commutes 80 miles a day +. He has driven 1400 miles. He has used 6 gallons of gas.$24 in CA. Your SUV would have cost you $250+ in CA. I don't understand what makes the Dolt think that Volt owners don't have second cars. I know a Volt owner who has a huge pick up truck and a 28 foot trailer. How can someone think that all Volt owners own only one car? Mindless.

I only paid cash for a car when I couldn't make more on one of my stocks than the interest on the loan. That's called .... planning.

Paying cash for a car when the interest rate is zero (like my son's loan) is bad planning.

Paying cash for a car when your gas savings pays for the loan, including the interest is bad planning.

The Dolt met two people in one gas station that own the Volt. Come one Dolt, at least spread the time frame a little so the lie sounds a little believable.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3106 Apr 3, 2013
The Dolt spent more money filling his SUV one time than I have spent in 17 months.

Too funny.

Petey's wife says: That's true.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3107 Apr 3, 2013
People who hate subsidies have no idea that subsidies are, most of the time, for the good of the people.

In the 1970's, after the oil embargo, CA started the first program for subsidies and tax breaks for energy efficient appliances, upgrades on houses, and building codes.

The end result, CA went from one of the worst in kilowatt hours per capita usage, to the best in the USA.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/electricity/us_pe...

http://roofknowledge.org/main/energyefficient...

Californian's saved about $65 billion in power usage, and about $30 -$40 billion because 30 more power plants did not have to be built because of the power savings. It also had the effect of taking 5 million cars off the road.

While the other 49 states power usage trippled, California's rose about 50%, but it has leveled off since 1980.

In the mean time, farther than right wing nut jobs who hate any kind of subsidy are still complaining that CA spent about $7 -$10 billion on subsidies. They would much rather pay higher electric bills and more taxes for the power plants. Unbelievable, and uneducated.

And the arguement that California's power rates are among the highest in the nation don't hold water, because we pay 25% less for power than the rest of the country. Why? Because we use much less of it. What good is it to live in a state that has 50% lower power rates when you have to use 200% more power to run your house?

http://roofknowledge.org/main/energyefficient...

So, the subsidies for electrics ($6.5 billion) compared to about $1 trillion (and growing) we have spent protecting our oil investments overseas since the subsidy was signed into law by Bush Sr. is a good thing. Only a hater would not be able to see that.

This is just the cost of the 2 wars. This doesn't include the above $1 trillion.

http://costofwar.com/

This doesn't include the cost of protecting other oil interests such as Saudi Arabia, who by the way contribute more money to Al Qaida than any other country.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2007/09...

Be American. Buy an American made electric car and bring our troops home.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3108 Apr 3, 2013
Root wrote:
Can I get a few more negtives please? haha
Good one. These children!!! I still think it was Pete that went on the KBB site and signed in 5 times to pretend that he bought the Volt, even though he hated it before he bought it. 5 people from MI within just a few days. He never answered. His silence is very telling.

To me, the number of negative votes is a compliment. It shows how much I get under these haters skins.

I must really get under somebodies skin, cuz he votes about 13 times when I post.

As Petey's wife says .... "That's True".

Too funny.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3109 Apr 3, 2013
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, of course it is.
I like the pic you use. Married With Children was one of my favorite shows until they started making the show about the kids.

My favorite line was when Al came home from work and his wife asked:

"How was your day, Al?"

To which he replied:

"It couldn't have been too good, I came home, didn't I?"

I loved Al Bundy. I still have an Al Bundy for president sticker in my garage.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3110 Apr 3, 2013
This guy must be from Canada. Proves that not all Canadians hate the Volt.

He's driven about 2,400 miles on 8 gallons of gas.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3111 Apr 3, 2013
Forgot to mention. At 1:05, the owner pushes the gas door release button. A message appears on the screen to wait to fuel. It only takes about 1/2 second for the message that it is ok to fuel.

The reason for the message is .....

The gas tank in the Volt is a stainless steel, sealed tank. They made it that way so the gas can last much longer than in a normal tank.

When one pushes the button, air is introduced to the tank to neutralize the pressure in the tank. When the fueling is complete, the air is vacated from the tank when the door is closed.

What an amazing car!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3112 Apr 4, 2013
For Luvmyvolt..

I don't do those silly emoticons--they're a waste of time in my opinion.
And I pay no attention to them.
Re paying cash for vehicles....
Vehicles in my businesses are leased, because from a tax viewpoint it allows higher tax credits-- but the vehicles must be used for business purposes only.
My accountant uses a software which compares leasing to loan or cash, and leasing always wins.
My personal vehicle is purchased- for cash-always. Under Canadian tax law business vehicles can be used for personal use but taxes make it costly from a tax viewpoint.
I trade every two years-always the same make,model, and options.(a GM product BTW)
It works out more cost effectively that way over leasing or loan.
Time value of money favours paying cash anyway.
Besides,, I can afford to pay cash anyway.
Personal debt is a no- no in my personal life, and in business I try to remain debt free as much as possible.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3113 Apr 4, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
This guy must be from Canada. Proves that not all Canadians hate the Volt.
He's driven about 2,400 miles on 8 gallons of gas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =khfzS6NkSAYXX
It is a Canadian.
We use the metric system and gasoline is purchased in litres here.
The commentator in the video refers to litres.
And yes, not all Canadians "hate" Volt.
This poster is one who certainly doesn't.
In spite of your constant referral to me as a"Volt Hater"', you need to learn there are people who take a middle ground, and look at both sides of any situation.
It's not a criminal offence to keep an open mind y'know!
Volts for Dolts

Florham Park, NJ

#3114 Apr 4, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
How does the SUV do in commuter traffic? My son commutes 80 miles a day +. He has driven 1400 miles. He has used 6 gallons of gas.$24 in CA. Your SUV would have cost you $250+ in CA. I don't understand what makes the Dolt think that Volt owners don't have second cars. I know a Volt owner who has a huge pick up truck and a 28 foot trailer. How can someone think that all Volt owners own only one car? Mindless.
I only paid cash for a car when I couldn't make more on one of my stocks than the interest on the loan. That's called .... planning.
Paying cash for a car when the interest rate is zero (like my son's loan) is bad planning.
Paying cash for a car when your gas savings pays for the loan, including the interest is bad planning.
The Dolt met two people in one gas station that own the Volt. Come one Dolt, at least spread the time frame a little so the lie sounds a little believable.
iluvmyVolt, your reading comprehension is obviously clouded by your over the top obsession of the Volt. I meet one person in a gas station, filling up his wifeís Volt with gasoline. He admitted that the Volt is a limited use vehicle, and the purchase of the Volt was not his choice.

Since you like to throw numbers around; I have a Civic for that is used for basically local driving (your type of driving), it Averages 35 MPG and cost about $15,000 less than the Volt. Averaging 12,000 miles a year it would take 11+ years for the Civic to equal the cost of a Volt; and thatís using a zero cost value to fuel the Volt for that time period.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3115 Apr 4, 2013
Dolt not only has a cheating wife but he is a liar too.

Too funny!

I eat a lot of garlic.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3116 Apr 4, 2013
Volts for Dolts wrote:
<quoted text>
iluvmyVolt, your reading comprehension is obviously clouded by your over the top obsession of the Volt. I meet one person in a gas station, filling up his wifeís Volt with gasoline. He admitted that the Volt is a limited use vehicle, and the purchase of the Volt was not his choice.
Since you like to throw numbers around; I have a Civic for that is used for basically local driving (your type of driving), it Averages 35 MPG and cost about $15,000 less than the Volt. Averaging 12,000 miles a year it would take 11+ years for the Civic to equal the cost of a Volt; and thatís using a zero cost value to fuel the Volt for that time period.
Your point about the type of driving, and how it affects comparative savings between EVs and gassers is an important consideration in comparing the two.
Local,short distance driving can really make an EV look good.
But put that EV on highway long distance driving, and the picture really changes.
Obviously the higher price of an EV likeVolt affects the equation too.
If one looks only at EV prices versus fuel cost for gassers, it takes a fair amount of time for the savings to kick in.
That said, other considerations muddy up the water a bit.
From an environmental viewpoint, EVs are incrementally better.
And, as was pointed out elsewhere, early adopters for EVs probably aren't concerned about price.
So, at the end of the day, it really depends on the buyer, the type of driving, and how strongly one feels about environment.
Needless to say, I feel it's early days in the EV evolution.
I think it's better to wait a few short years to see where it's all going before diving in too deeply.
There are developments in the works right now which could change the picture significantly in the near future.
Jim Smatters

United States

#3117 Apr 4, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point about the type of driving, and how it affects comparative savings between EVs and gassers is an important consideration in comparing the two.
Local,short distance driving can really make an EV look good.
But put that EV on highway long distance driving, and the picture really changes.
Obviously the higher price of an EV likeVolt affects the equation too.
If one looks only at EV prices versus fuel cost for gassers, it takes a fair amount of time for the savings to kick in.
That said, other considerations muddy up the water a bit.
From an environmental viewpoint, EVs are incrementally better.
And, as was pointed out elsewhere, early adopters for EVs probably aren't concerned about price.
So, at the end of the day, it really depends on the buyer, the type of driving, and how strongly one feels about environment.
Needless to say, I feel it's early days in the EV evolution.
I think it's better to wait a few short years to see where it's all going before diving in too deeply.
There are developments in the works right now which could change the picture significantly in the near future.
Yes that is true. We own a Volt and would never consider a car based on price. The Prius was the same way.
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#3118 Apr 4, 2013
Prius sales are -23% and still sold 22,400 last month...

while March's sales for the obamamobile plunged over 35% from last year to a paltry 1,478 units.

What's with that.

Too Funny
Pete

Byron Center, MI

#3119 Apr 4, 2013
Pete wrote:

while March's sales for the obamamobile plunged over 35% from last year to a paltry 1,478 units.

What's with that.

Too Funny
Wifey says:
it must be a $45,000 golf cart that only runs on high test gasoline ...

that only gets 37 mpg tops while coasting at 15mph.

Hypothetically that is.

Too Funny.
Pete

New York, NY

#3120 Apr 4, 2013
Pete wrote:
What's with that.
Too Funny
That's very true...

GovMotors and the Obama Administration have done what they can to prop up sales of the Volt and give the false appearance of success.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 2018 Mazda 3 May Have The Best No-Bullshit ... Fri Firm Confirm 4
News NHTSA opening probe into Ford Freestar/Mercury ... (Jan '10) Feb 7 Cars 22
OBDSTAR H110 VS Xhorse VVDI2 , Which better Feb 4 FMPC001 1
What programmer to read VAG Bcm2 on bench? Jan 29 Ambrosio 1
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Jan 29 jimmyLIN 25
News Manhattan could become first U.S. city to levy ... Jan 29 Louie from the pier 3
Foxwell NT510 multi-system scanner user feedback (May '16) Jan 25 tuita 3
More from around the web