Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 10495 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#3040 Mar 31, 2013
Funny.

Some guy quotes Consumer Reports about the Volt VS Prius, but it's the Consumers themselves that love the Volt best.

Too funny.

Pete's Wifey says "I agree".

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 13

Bhopal, India

#3041 Apr 1, 2013
Hi,
Welcome to this forum site. Here you can find lots of things.
Letís start journey of world or our country, because this time for freshness. So firstly need to prepare plan. Kindly contact goes through websites.
----------
[url=http://www.seotutorials.t k] SEO Tutorial [/url]
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3042 Apr 1, 2013
There are many ways to use numbers in calculating costs or savings in buying a Volt.
Obviously one individual has chosen ways which cast a most favourable impression.
But is that method the reality?

Let's look at gas savings another way.
That gentleman claims he paid $32K for his Volt, and has saved $1500 on fuel.
Assuming he's had the car for one year, here's the reality.
He could have easily purchased a nicely equipped comparatively sized gas powered economy car for around $25K, or $7K less than his Volt.
Assuming the alternative purchase burned $1500K in fuel in that one year, It would take almost 4 years to amortize the higher cost of his Volt.
The average owner leases these days(not sure if he does), for on average, 3 years.
Where are the savings?

Now there's the issue of incentives and subsidies.
Calculating Govt. subsidies on a per taxpayer basis makes the equation look great--less than pennies per taxpayer.
But looking at subsidies on a per owner basis changes the picture dramatically.
With 35K Volts in use so far, the per owner subsidy turns out to be $000's per vehicle.
Granted, as more Volts enter the picture, but several more years will pass before the per vehicle number starts to look like the per taxpayer number.

Let's talk about incentives.
This gentleman bought his Volt in California where Federal and State tax incentives reduced his Volt's cost by $7K.(A number of other states offer that same amount)
That money was paid by taxpayers. Great for the owner.........but there's a catch.
That gentleman can boast about his fuel savings, but the cost to taxpayers came out of their pockets.
So who saved what?
Plus, those tax incentives on a per vehicle basis are a heck of a lot higher than the fractions of pennies he refers to in Govt. subsidies! And they keep going!

As I said in my earlier post, no offence is intended.
Just setting the record straight.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3043 Apr 1, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Honda Accord & Chevy Volt in head on collision. Everybody in the Accord dies. Nobody in the Volt died.
Hmmmmm ...
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Grana...
Chevy Volt rear ended by bus, smashing the rear end. Two small children in the rear seat. Nobody seriously hurt.
http://www.plugincars.com/chevy-volt-totaled-...
hmmmmmmm..... no fires.
The Honda which collided with Volt was travelling at very high speed.
Apparently the Volt was almost stopped at the time of impact.
According to the detailed accident investigation, after the Honda struck the Volt, is continued, spinning off and striking a guard rail at high speed.
That second impact was the cause of those fatalities.

In the school bus incident, it was a rear ended collision.
Damage estimates forbthevVolt were such that the car was written off.
Had it been head on collision, there would very likely have been a more serious outcome.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#3044 Apr 1, 2013
You have to love the hypothetical argument scenario.

ďHe could have easily purchased a nicely equipped comparatively sized gas powered economy car for around $25K, or $7K less than his Volt.Ē

Those who purchase a Volt arenít in the market for a cheap little car, thatís not the target audience and certainly not part of the early adopters.

Why not compare the Volt to the plug in prius and figure cost to drive? More important than the cost to drive, is how it drives. The Volt's electric drive is far more responsive and fun to drive than the Prius's underpowered ICE supplemented with an equally underpowered electric motor. The Volt's
competitors are not econoboxes, but automobiles built for folks who are willing to pay for how their cars drive, hence the high turnover rate on cars like the BMWs.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3045 Apr 1, 2013
Not "hypothetical arguments"at all.
On the contrary, what I'm doing is a practical analysis of one cost versus another.
I'm simply looking at what the average purchaser might consider when contemplating an "around town" automobile such as Volt.
No doubt a good portion of prospective buyers look at their choices the same way.
Sure, Volt can also serve as a highway car, but it's primary use is local transportation.
(Bear in mind when it's used for highway travel over 35 or 40 miles, it's fuel economy isn't the same as when it's used for short runs around town--it now uses fuel much like an economy car on gas)
So in looking at economics, the higher cost of Volt has to be considered against the cost of buying an economical gas powered vehicle.
When one looks at the numbers, they show that Volt's higher cost tends to offset fuel savings over an economical gas powered car.
Sure, the Volt is reputed to be a nice automobile to drive, and perhaps some people buy them because they don't care for a lower priced automobile.
But those are intrinsic considerations.
All I'm doing is comparing costs.
No need to be upset about that.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3046 Apr 1, 2013
Incidentally JJFADS, I've owned BMW.
Fun to drive?
Not!!
Nothing special, believe me.
Only if you believe their marketing pitch.
Jim Smatters

Oklahoma City, OK

#3047 Apr 1, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
Funny.
Some guy quotes Consumer Reports about the Volt VS Prius, but it's the Consumers themselves that love the Volt best.
Too funny.
Pete's Wifey says "I agree".
Yes Volt is highly regarded.

“Irrefutable Harm”

Since: Mar 09

Miami Beach Fl.

#3048 Apr 2, 2013
Why do canadians smell?

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#3049 Apr 2, 2013
Oh yes thatís hypothetical and BMWís were used as they are a top conquest for Volt. Stop playing, we can see you.
Fair and Balanced

Oklahoma City, OK

#3050 Apr 2, 2013
Phantompay wrote:
Why do canadians smell?
Don't most foreigners go without deodorant? I bet this is what causes the smell.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3051 Apr 2, 2013
I have a sneaking hunch the only person here playing games these days is a chameleon calling himself JJFADS.
Your post, Mr. Congeniality, is duly noted and filed in the appropriate folder.
As is the "odiferous Canadian" post.
You already know which folder that is.

PS.
And if, as you so boastfully claim, you can see me, I hope you noticed the rigid middle digit displayed prominently in the foreground.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3052 Apr 2, 2013
Fair and Balanced wrote:
<quoted text>Don't most foreigners go without deodorant? I bet this is what causes the smell.
The chameleon speaks.
Luvmyvolt's true persona is showing.
And it definitely has a bad odour.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3053 Apr 2, 2013
Fair and Balanced wrote:
<quoted text>Don't most foreigners go without deodorant? I bet this is what causes the smell.
I have not taken the opportunity to smell a Canadian, I have been there. Youíre probably referring to their money. It smells like maple syrup. Think about it. If you spill syrup on your clothing it stinks. Imagine if the money in your pocket gets wet and builds humidity via friction. I bet this is what youíre talking about.
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3054 Apr 2, 2013
The Chameleon speaks again.
Intellectually unable debate maturely, the Chameleon typically resorts to childish taunts when faced with reality.
The Canadian rules.
Fair and Balanced

Oklahoma City, OK

#3055 Apr 2, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
<quoted text>
The chameleon speaks.
Luvmyvolt's true persona is showing.
And it definitely has a bad odour.
Wrong again lizard.
Fair and Balanced

Oklahoma City, OK

#3056 Apr 2, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>I have not taken the opportunity to smell a Canadian, I have been there. Youíre probably referring to their money. It smells like maple syrup. Think about it. If you spill syrup on your clothing it stinks. Imagine if the money in your pocket gets wet and builds humidity via friction. I bet this is what youíre talking about.
Are you going to sit there and tell me that canada money smells like syrup? Good one but I think it's the deodorant.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3057 Apr 2, 2013
Fair and Balanced wrote:
<quoted text>Are you going to sit there and tell me that canada money smells like syrup? Good one but I think it's the deodorant.
Oh yes they do. I've been to canada and I know first hand. The money smells like syrup!

http://moneyjarbudget.com/2011/11/new-canadia...
Gizmo

Windsor, Canada

#3058 Apr 2, 2013
The Canadian doesn't lower hisself to childish and immature name calling.
The Canadian didn't start this juvenile nonsense, and holds the high road.
Only in America.
The Canadian rules.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#3059 Apr 2, 2013
Gizmo wrote:
The Canadian doesn't lower hisself to childish and immature name calling.
The Canadian didn't start this juvenile nonsense, and holds the high road.
Only in America.
The Canadian rules.
So what is the canadian smell they are talking about if not the money?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jeep 3 hr patriot 1
News Detroit-area fire chief missing in Lake St. Clair 7 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Clinton won't answer Keystone pipeline question Fri Le Jimbo 33
News 2015 Chevrolet Volt review notes: Still a winne... Fri Phillip123 2
HD208 Heavy Duty Truck Code Reader Fri Phillip123 2
News Rubio, Huckabee: No outrage over Planned Parent... Jul 30 Cordwainer Trout 2
2016 BMW M6 GT3, Ferrari 488 Spider, MAMA Track... Jul 29 Phillip123 1
More from around the web