Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11780 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

liner

Delray Beach, FL

#2751 Mar 15, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>You are, undoubtedly, a real rocket scientist and the head of your class, at whatever prestigious institution graduated you.
Why thank you. You are a gentleman, a scholar and a judge of fine whiskey.
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#2752 Mar 15, 2013
Jim Smatters wrote:
<quoted text>He's either the most satirical boy ever or he has an agenda. I'm going with agenda.
All this because I asked what kind of mileage a Volt gets on gas. My God, are you guys defensive, or what?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#2753 Mar 15, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you. You are a gentleman, a scholar and a judge of fine whiskey.
lol
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2754 Mar 15, 2013
Volts for Dolt wrote:
<quoted text>
After a few miles the Volt turns into an under powered gas guzzler!
Here is the real world experience of on of the MotorTrend writers. He started a 123 mile trip with only 11 miles of E left. He averaged 75 mph with the air conditioner on and climbed a 900 grade. Subtracting the 11 miles from the 123 mile distance and you end up with 112 miles on 2.8 gallons of gas. That equals 40 mpg.

That is at 75 mph with the air conditioner on! Not the perfect way to drive the Volt. This is paragraph 8 in the article.

Take my own experience. I climbed into a Volt in Tehachapi, California, for a drive back to Los Angeles. The car had been used during the day, and the instruments showed the battery had 13 miles of charge left. My route included a 900-foot climb almost immediately, and the day was hot, so I had the air-conditioning on. The IC engine fired after 10.9 miles. Once on freeway I initially set the cruise control at 70 mph. Just before Palmdale, I ran the car in mountain mode, increasing the speed of the IC engine to add extra charge in the battery before the climb into the mountains. I switched mountain mode off at the base of the hills, and then ran with the traffic -- 75-80 mph -- pretty much all the way back home to L.A. I used 2.8 gallons of gas for the 123.2 mile trip -- an average of 44 mpg.

Once again ... the gas only part of his trip was 40 mpg. At 75. Air conditioner. With a 900 ft climb.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/...

It really bugs you that the Volt is the most awarded car in history ... doesn't it? The first American car to e v e r be named European Car Of The Year.

My personal experience every time I go from my house to my son's house. At 70 mph ..... an 80 mile drive.

44 miles on gas .... 1.1 gallons of gas used. I have done that many times. That is why I have to buy 2 gallons of gas the next time I go. First gas I've purchased in months. I really only need to buy 1 gallon, but that is pretty lame ... don't you think?

Come on dude ... deep down inside, you wish you only had to buy 1 gallon at a time. And ... oh yeah ... the E part of my trip costs $1.14. So, that is $4.50 for 80 miles. Gas in CA is pretty hi.

OK ... glad you like the Volt. Take care.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2755 Mar 15, 2013
Proteus wrote:
www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake /Chevrolet2013.shtml
For those cretins who obsess ad nauseum about not seeing links (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), the above link is the US Govt. site where all EPA fuel economy ratings are listed by make and model.
Please note the figures for 2013 Volt.
35 City;35 combined (electric); 40 highway.
These are the same figures I spoke of in an earlier post, and these figures were dismissed angrily by some---"lies, Volt Hater,Trolling,Trashing Volt, etc."
Now all I did was quote some figures from a Govt. website.
I did not say they were right, wrong, or indifferent.
I did not raise questions (valid or otherwise) about methods used for these numbers.
I did not trash Volt in any way whatsoever.
What I dis do is simply post some figures from a cerified Govt. website.
Now for those who issue with these numbers...
I suggest you complain to the Govt. from now on.
FYI, the entire site which displays all makes and models can be accessed at the following link:
www.fueleconomy.gov .
I checked the link. It said 98 electric combined. Guess you goofed. Or was it on purpose?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2756 Mar 15, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, let's try this again....more slowly perhaps:
What does the EPA rate the Volt in gas only mode?
I don't care what some guy claims on youtube while playing an accordian on Tuesday after eating 25 burittos just before he jumped off the bridge.
What does the EPA rate the Volt in gas only mode?
I posted the link just as you requested, which very plainly states the EPA rating for a 2012-13 Volt in gas only mode. Sure, any driver could get better or worse than the EPA lists. I don't care about that. I just wanted a verifiable number that could be compared to any other car's EPA rating while running on gas.
Did you click on the link I provided? If so, did it list a city/combined/highway rating of a 2012 Volt running in gas only mode? Did it state 35 City, 40 Highway, 35 Combined?
As stated ... the EPA ratings are lower than real world. The problem is, you don't know how these cars work. Not only the Volt, but all electrics. If you watch the video, you will see in the center stack screen, the car reverts to electric while in gas mode.

You don't seem to understand, that while in gas mode, the car actually reverts to electric for about 10% of it's miles in the city.

You can't get that on a dyno. That is how the EPA tests cars. On dyno's. There is no regen actions on a dyno.

That is why so many people are more than pleased with their Volts. Almost 100% of them came to the conclusion that their gas mpg is better than what the EPA says.

I thought you people wanted real world mpg.

If you call the people on mpgomatic "a guy playing an accordion while eating burrito's ... that's pretty disrespectful. They are a very respected group in the car world. They have been around long before the Volt. They drove the car for 600 miles and achieved 43 mpg gas.

Don't know why you people aren't interested in real world numbers. I thought you all wanted car facts.

Guess you don't. It's too bad because I'm here.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2757 Mar 15, 2013
Proteus wrote:
Everybody here has an agenda.
Only difference is some have more agenda than others.
Just facts dude. Stick to facts. Those are your words. I think that you want to hear the EPA numbers because they are lower than real world numbers.

That's fine. But .. those aren't car facts. Car facts come from real world experience. Any car guy knows that.

There was one hater on here that said that Jay Leno didn't use his Volt as a daily driver. When Jay Leno reported that he had put 18,000 miles on his Volt and used only 12 gallons of gas, he owned the Volt for only 18 months. That is a daily driver.

But when Jay Leno was mentioned on this thread, the haters crapped on it. Why? It is a real world experience.

Once again ... Volts get 43 mpg gas. About 41 hwy. and 44 city. REAL WORLD.

I don't live in EPA land. I live in the real world.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2758 Mar 15, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
All this because I asked what kind of mileage a Volt gets on gas. My God, are you guys defensive, or what?
Well ... you are the guy that dismisses real world reports. You called the head guy from Mpgomatic a

"I don't care what some guy claims on youtube while playing an accordian on Tuesday after eating 25 burittos just before he jumped off the bridge."

That statement proves that you dismissed this very reputable person reported after driving the car 600 miles. Mpgomatic is not a YouTube entity. They are reputable because they drive cars in real world conditions and report their real world numbers.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/

What do you expect in return?

Be respectful and you will get it back. Just because I love my Volt doesn't mean I'm your enemy. I live in real world-land. I give you my personal experiences and links to other people's experiences and you trash them.

We are not a bunch of burrito eaters jumping off bridges.(Well ... I do like burrito's).

The problem is yours. If you don't believe the real world numbers, fine, just say so. Don't disrespect.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2759 Mar 15, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like Volt did? How many cars did they sell last year? How many did Toyota sell last year. I'll wait while you take your shoes off.......
Went back because I remember reading this and forgot to respond to you. The very fact that you compare sales for a car that has been around for over 14 years to a car that has been in production only 2 years 3 months is very telling.

Not reality. But it plays towards your hatred of American products and the Volt in particular.

The Volt, in fact is outselling the Prius when compared to the Prius's first two years of production.

This is per Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/01/05/che...

Keep it real. Keep it honest.

Chevy Volt is already outselling half the car models sold in the USA. When people start getting sick and tired of high gas prices, and they keep reading real world experiences like mine, more and more will buy the Volt. The Prius is a gas hog.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079306_c...

16 months, 10,400 miles, 6 gallons of gas purchased, less than $300 charging costs.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2760 Mar 15, 2013
Proteus wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm only going to say this once.
No one is being "defended"!!!
I have repeatedly asked these folks to tone it down a bit.
Why don't you do the same.
Your "know it all nonsense"is getting a bit tiresome.
You are in no position to be lecturing others, so why not just give it a break?
This isn't a federal courtroom.
You were talking to the biggest child of all. You called Root and me bozos.

If anyone needs to tone it down ... it's you. At least the little guy from IL doesn't pretend to be a nice guy. I respect him much more than I respect you.

This is what you said to the biggest child who has constantly attacked Root and I.

"In case you don't realize it, you just took the bait and swallowed it!
Can't you see what is happening here?
Messrs Root and LuvVolt are trolling for people like you so they can indulge their narcissistic fantasies.
They want you to respond---they need it desperately, or they cease to be relevant.
Might be a good idea to just lay low for a while with those two bozos.
If nobody takes the bait, they'll soon get tired of talking to themselves.

That doesn't mean stop posting.
If you have info of relevance to any cartalk topic, by all means, let's hear it."

Really? You told the child to hold it down a bit ... after he attacks us. But you call us bozos and narcissists.

Really?

If it walks like a duck ......
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2761 Mar 15, 2013
For those who want real world testimonies from real Volt owners. This is for you.

http://www.plugincars.com/ask-volt-drivers-ho...

For those who hate the Volt .... don't bother.

Links ... facts ... keep it real ... no name calling.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2762 Mar 15, 2013
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

#2763 Mar 15, 2013
Wifey says:
Facts only-

Everybody knows battery packs fade over time...

and the more they are used the less they last...

and the obamamobiles are known to catch on fire when charging or just sitting there.

Keep trying.

Too Funny.
Pete

Grand Rapids, MI

#2764 Mar 15, 2013
Pete wrote:
Wifey says:
Facts only-

Everybody knows battery packs fade over time...

and the more they are used the less they last...

and the obamamobiles are known to catch on fire when charging or just sitting there.

Keep trying.

Too Funny.
That's very true...

the obamamobile was just a PR stunt to get reelected...

they don't even make them anymore.

Too Funny.
Hateshate

Santa Clara, CA

#2765 Mar 15, 2013
L.I. batteries in hybrids last well beyond 250,000 in taxi fleets.

Paragraph 12 of the article.

"Some of these have been put to use in taxi fleets in such cities as San Francisco and New York, with some taxi vehicles attaining more than 250,000 miles individually and taxi fleets in California alone attaining a total of nearly 100 million miles."

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm...

Headline:

Expensive Hybrid Car Battery Replacements Are Unnecessary

Article: Many of the taxi fleet cars have logged in 300,000 miles +.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-our-expert...

Peter's wifey says: "That's True, I left Peter for a hybrid taxi cab driver".
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2766 Mar 16, 2013
Narcissists.
Need to constantly reinforce relevance.
Need to dominate discussions.
Bragging is a common trait.
Superiority complex displayed frequently.
Saying it once is never enough.
If it quacks like a duck........
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2767 Mar 16, 2013
I like Volt.
It's a remarkable piece of technology.
I wish it well.
I'm pleased that Volt owners are happy with their Volt.
I think it's informative to hear Volt owner's positive experiences.
But not at the expense if everyone else.

That said, there is one Volt owner here who acts very much like an Islamic extremist about his Volt.
He appears to view his Volt much like one would worship a religious icon.
He attacks anyone and everyone he deems as an opposed to his obsession with Volt.
He posts long winded soliloquies extolling Volt virtues, endlessly.
He vigorously defends what he feels are even the slightest negative remarks by others.
He seeks to dominate every discussion with repetitive and aggressive rhetoric.
He ruthlessly slams those he feels are deserving of his wrath and insists others are the ones at fault.
This goes on, day after day--often entire pages are filled with his vitriol.

Why is this necessary?
Why is a forum intended to discuss "Autos" ( aka all makes and models) being monopolized by one individual with a neurotic obsession about his recent purchase?
If this individual is so overcome with delight about his car, why can't he start a thread devoted to his obsession with his purchase.

Luvmyvolt, sure it's a great car, but what's the big deal about your Volt.
So much so that you're compelled to act like an extremist about it?
You're taking this way too seriously.
Is all this angst worth it?
Volts for Dolt

Newtown, CT

#2768 Mar 16, 2013
the BS, misinformation, and propaganda concerning the Volt never ends; babble on iluvmyVolt
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#2769 Mar 16, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated ... the EPA ratings are lower than real world. The problem is, you don't know how these cars work. Not only the Volt, but all electrics. If you watch the video, you will see in the center stack screen, the car reverts to electric while in gas mode.
You don't seem to understand, that while in gas mode, the car actually reverts to electric for about 10% of it's miles in the city.
You can't get that on a dyno. That is how the EPA tests cars. On dyno's. There is no regen actions on a dyno.
That is why so many people are more than pleased with their Volts. Almost 100% of them came to the conclusion that their gas mpg is better than what the EPA says.
I thought you people wanted real world mpg.
If you call the people on mpgomatic "a guy playing an accordion while eating burrito's ... that's pretty disrespectful. They are a very respected group in the car world. They have been around long before the Volt. They drove the car for 600 miles and achieved 43 mpg gas.
Don't know why you people aren't interested in real world numbers. I thought you all wanted car facts.
Guess you don't. It's too bad because I'm here.
and again, e v e n m o r e s l o w l y. What does the EPA rate the Volt in gas-only mode? You don't have to sell me a Volt. You don't have to get defensive. I don't care what some guy on youtube or myvoltsfueleconomyRus says he gets. What does the EPA rate the Volt in gas-only mode? Is it 35 city, 40 highway? If it's not, give me a link to the EPA website (not youtoob) that states something different for the Volt in gas-only mode.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2770 Mar 16, 2013
Are we attempting to have a rational conversation with what appears to be an irrational control freak?
What's the big deal about the EPA numbers anyway?
They're just harmless numbers which most folks don't pay much attention to.
Yet this character has a major hissy fit about them, and goes to extremes to vent his spleen about them and anyone who talks about them!
They're just numbers.
It's just a car.
This is just a second rate chat room.
Less than a dozen people hang out here at any time.
What is this character trying to prove?
And why act like a fanatic about it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for racially-charge... (Mar '16) 7 hr Chauntyll Allen 27
Buy 2017 New V1.70 Opel OP-COM 2016 Wed OPCOM 2016 3
$39.00 WOW 5.00.12 USB Version OBD2 Diagnostic ... Wed wow 50012 3
VVDI2 4.3.0 works great in BMW FEM coding/progr... Tue lalaura 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Tue Latintony1 314
7th Anniversary Sale 2nd Wave, Lowest Price & F... Tue jimmyLIN 1
YH BMW FEM key programmer tested to be 100% saf... Mon jimmyLIN 1
More from around the web