Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius

There are 11779 comments on the taintedgreen.com story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius. In it, taintedgreen.com reports that:

Toyota has fallen to GM on the MPG front. The Japanese company continues to lose market.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at taintedgreen.com.

Jim Smatters

United States

#2670 Mar 11, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I don't mind the haters. In actuality, I have learned more about my
Volt because of these guys than by any other way.
They complain about certain aspects of the Volt and I have to research. After 1 1/2 years of ownership, I've learned a lot. And they have never been right. And there are a lot fewer of them than back then, believe me.
Back then, one hater picked up on a blog by a bunch of haters. One of them test drove the Volt and complained about the brakes. Now, I was wondering why the brakes did seem different.
Turns out, the brake pads don't stop the car until about 3 mph. The E motor stops the car. When the pads take over, there is a little sensation through the peddle.
Well ... because of that, my brake pads are expected to have a life time of at least 100,000 miles. Not only that, the e motor stopping the car is what adds range to my battery. 54 degrees today and I got a 42 mile range. Love it. Plenty more of those stories ... and I owe it all to a haters for obtaining that knowledge.
That's my story.
Do you think jealousy is the driving force behind the hate? I'm more interested to learn the underlying problems that cause this type of behavior.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#2671 Mar 11, 2013
Pay no mind as most bellicose blubbering comes from the merchants of misery, the misguided and the junior-level laborers trying to claw their way to the middle. They say much but they offer little beyond false statements and dubious non-facts. If you need any proof of how dysfunctional these people are just look at the bomb throwing attacks and consistent failure to accept reality, consider this scene:

[Toyota is recall king.]
Response: Ford had the biggest recall.

[Toyota is Recall King.]
Response: In the last decade…GM was the recall king.

What was that? It was the failure to admit Toyota is the Recall King.

Now, let’s look at another scenario.

Go back to the first page of this thread. Keep in mind the poster “Stop It” is now called Proteus.

[This is good press.]
Response: Let’s tell the truth.
No Volt sold yet.
Mileage stats notoriously controlled test conditions
We know how realistic these tests are.
Will only be sold in seven states
Nov available anywhere else in the world
Base price 41K and higher with options
How much fuel economy to amortize the cost
How many recalls will there be, anyone wanna guess?
What was that? It was the failure to actually admit this is good press. Follow the negativity, it goes on and on. Attack after attack-
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2672 Mar 11, 2013
Fact:
Ford had the largest recall ever in 1996.
GM has head the largest number of recalls in the past 10 years.
Toyota has had the most vehicles recalled since 2010.
Note-- there's a difference between number of vehicles recalled and number of recalls.

JJFADS, those quotes you attributed to me from the first page?
They were in 2010, before Volt was even on the market.
A little after that, Volt was introduced in 7 states.

Plus, in your quotes, you didn't mention where I repeatedly said I hoped Volt did well, and that I thought it was a breakthrough in technology.

I have not said anything negative about Volt since.

An apology would be nice.

Dallas, TX.

#2673 Mar 11, 2013
Use of the words “largest recall ever” and “in the past 10 years” is another way of not admitting Toyota is the Recall King for 2012. This is like an old saw becoming increasingly toothless in an apologetic sustain for Toyota. In 2012 Toyota was the recall king. That’s it, no sugar coating no buts. Who cares? What if GM is the recall king for 2013? Will you argue [but Toyota was the recall king in 2009, 2010 and 2012?]

This behavior is becoming increasingly dangerous as it pollutes our society and media.
While I understand you are in Canada, here in the US, PC is taking over our culture through H.R., litigation, and co-opting of the legal system far beyond prior cries for judicial reform, leading us to become Stepford citizens. This Toyota fiasco is the same type of situation. It’s no different than false reporting and doomsday scenarios about sequester.

I went back and collected just a few of your Volt comments. You have a suspicious way of presenting you argument. You say a negative and then follow it up with “but it’s a nice product.” Look at a few examples:
Given low and slow sales, this isn't a surprise.
Sad, because the Volt is a nice product.

Volt sales are not spectacular by any means.
Albeit, the Volt is a nice product

Low sales equals low sales.
That's the cold hard truth about the Volt.
And dealers who sell so few that they can't afford the tools---that's sad.

Inasmuch as I would be pleased to see Volt doing better....if it quacks like a duck....
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2674 Mar 11, 2013
All those statements are true. And quite harmless in the cold light of day.
Not dismissive in any shape or form. And not intended to be.
I'm surprised that you or anyone else would see something sinister in them, because they are not( except perhaps in the eye of the beholder who looks for something sinister)
And can you tell me where I have ever denied that Toyota is the recall king-- or even questioned that statistic?
Really JJFADS, in fact all I've ever done is try to put this recall business into some kind of perspective. There are more recalls than ever out there these days, and they're not just Toyota recalls.
Is there something sinister in that too?

Sometimes I wonder that all the rants about Toyota's situation is just a manifestation of prejudice and envy.
Christ, it's just a damn car.
From the way some of these folks talk about it, one would think it's a threat against humanity.

Dallas, TX.

#2675 Mar 11, 2013
Your words are legitimate to me. I must have taken your statements out of context. My apologies.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2676 Mar 11, 2013
Apology not necessary for a misunderstanding.
But thanks anyway.

FWI, may I suggest there are a few other folks whose conduct is perhaps deserving of your criticism?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2677 Mar 11, 2013
Root wrote:
So you still don’t have an example? This is good because it shows us all that you spoke without thinking and that is the perfect example of losing composure. This should aid in the direct assault on your silly accusations. Just admit it, you are liberal and that clouds your ability to accept reality. Admit toyota is the recall king. Do it.
My son just picked up a 2013 Volt for $27,000 after tax & license & credits. He spent $2,000 on gas last year for his commute. His work has charging stations for EV's. That means he will spend about $2 per commute vs. the $18 he was spending. Per day!!!

This was a sweet deal. They have more. So much for people complaining about the price of a Volt. This is not the loaded Volt, but it still has plenty of nice options and a kick-ars stereo.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2678 Mar 11, 2013
Proteus wrote:
Subtly aggravating posts by posters using multiple usernames is common.
Those who do it and mask their ISPs may think it's clever, but it fools no one.
You mean like your little buddy from IL?
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2679 Mar 11, 2013
Jim Smatters wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think jealousy is the driving force behind the hate? I'm more interested to learn the underlying problems that cause this type of behavior.
The real underlying problem? Obama was elected. He took a ride in a Volt. That did it.

I put links here proving the Bush boys signed in the credits and subsidies. I also put a link proving that Fox News loved the Volt concept in 2008, along with subsidies and credits for EV's.

I also put a link that proved Ford was bailed out in 2006. Long before GM.

Fox News has done a 180 and ordered their followers to hate GM and the Volt. Why? Obama. That's it. There have been several people here calling the Volt the Obamamobile. He had absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, George Bush Sr. bought a Volt! Why not call it the Bushmobile ... after all, he is the one that signed the law for the subsidies and the mandate for the military to buy EV's.

They hate Obama. That's the whole problem. And now that the economy is starting to take off (after the crash before he was prez)... they hate it even more.

It is sad that these people want a whole company to fail. A company that directly effects 8 jobs for every 1 job lost.

They want this country to fail because Obama is President. Every time they see the news that things are getting better, they cringe.

I think it's very sick. And they call themselves American.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2680 Mar 11, 2013
Headline:
Toyota to hold world's biggest car recall in 16 years

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/toyota-hold-w...

Paragraph 2:

The recall involves 7.43 million vehicles worldwide sold under the Toyota and Scion brands. This is the largest safety-related service action the maker has announced since it began a series of recalls related to the risk of unintended acceleration in late 2009. That and other safety issues led Toyota to recall 14 million vehicles in 2009 and 2010.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2681 Mar 11, 2013
Proteus wrote:
Subtly aggravating posts by posters using multiple usernames is common.
Those who do it and mask their ISPs may think it's clever, but it fools no one.
I've never taken a personal shot at you or anybody else, less a little humor. You keep calling Root & me out.

I just read some of your previous posts. Pages 89 & 90 seem to go against your claim that you don't take personal shots. I just opened that page up to see if it is true that you were calling yourself another username (like you slammed others for doing in this post that I am answering).

Sheeeesh ... you slam but you hate slammers (whoever they are).

You change names but you hate name changers.

You like the Volt, but you hate the Volt.

Yes ... I am obsessed. I am obsessed with my awesome Volt. But as I stated, I like guys like you. You give me cause to post links. I particularly miss the guy Solarman. I had a good one with him because he thought the Volt had a multiple speed transmission. I proved to him that the Volt is a single speed, direct drive auto. He also thought there was a direct link between the shifter and the planetary.

It's awesome. The shifter is really a mouse. It points to the software that tells the E motor what to do. When you move the shifter ... nothing happens ...(until you release the brake)!!! There is no surge forward or backward like in a normal car.

That alone should amaze you, but ... you hate the Volt.

Now ... let's stick to car facts (I just pointed out 2 to you). You keep saying that, but you are the one that hasn't posted one link to a car fact yet. So please ... no more "talk". Give me links. Happily awaiting.
car expert

Downers Grove, IL

#2682 Mar 12, 2013
Root wrote:
<quoted text>Yes sir, Toyota was ranked Recall King again last year.
http://www.torquenews.com/1081/toyota-named-r...
But the main thing is this, just because Toyota is Recall King, that should help them build better cars in the future.
The stats just came out folks.The toyota rav-4 has won top place for most desired used car. When folks were asked about the volt they said, "The what".
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2683 Mar 12, 2013
car expert wrote:
<quoted text> The stats just came out folks.The toyota rav-4 has won top place for most desired used car. When folks were asked about the volt they said, "The what".
In case you don't realize it, you just took the bait and swallowed it!
Can't you see what is happening here?
Messrs Root and LuvVolt are trolling for people like you so they can indulge their narcissistic fantasies.
They want you to respond---they need it desperately, or they cease to be relevant.
Might be a good idea to just lay low for a while with those two bozos.
If nobody takes the bait, they'll soon get tired of talking to themselves.

That doesn't mean stop posting.
If you have info of relevance to any cartalk topic, by all means, let's hear it.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#2684 Mar 12, 2013
Proteus wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you don't realize it, you just took the bait and swallowed it!
Can't you see what is happening here?
Messrs Root and LuvVolt are trolling for people like you so they can indulge their narcissistic fantasies.
They want you to respond---they need it desperately, or they cease to be relevant.
Might be a good idea to just lay low for a while with those two bozos.
If nobody takes the bait, they'll soon get tired of talking to themselves.
That doesn't mean stop posting.
If you have info of relevance to any cartalk topic, by all means, let's hear it.
No, I can’t speak for Love my Volt but for myself I just want a nice conversation to talk about the Volt. It settled down for a little while and now look. It started again.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#2685 Mar 12, 2013
Jay Leno made it known that his Volt has covered 11,000 miles on only 4.65 gallons of gas.

2365 miles per gallon.
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#2686 Mar 12, 2013
Root wrote:
Jay Leno made it known that his Volt has covered 11,000 miles on only 4.65 gallons of gas.
2365 miles per gallon.
That's nice, but what is it's mpg while running on the gas engine?
Root

Shreveport, LA

#2687 Mar 12, 2013
You will have to ask him. It’s probably out there somewhere. If the car is used in the driving range it's designed for which falls into the majority of Americans category, you can get outrageous gas mileage. That’s the moral of the story.
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#2688 Mar 12, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice, but what is it's mpg while running on the gas engine?
Some friendly advice:
Try to avoid getting sucked into you know what with you know who.
Those boys are looking for only one thing-- a willing victim upon whom to indulge their neurotic obsessions.
Root

Shreveport, LA

#2689 Mar 12, 2013
Proteus wrote:
<quoted text>
Some friendly advice:
Try to avoid getting sucked into you know what with you know who.
Those boys are looking for only one thing-- a willing victim upon whom to indulge their neurotic obsessions.
Some friendly advice:

Stop spreading your mistruths and deal with what I suspect is your Psychological Projection in other places. Without you we can talk, that’s all I’ve ever wanted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Original Autel MaxiSYS Elite J2534 ECU Program ... 15 hr OBD2TOOL 2
Lonsdor K518ise key programmer Free update – Fiat 15 hr OBD2TOOL 2
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) 15 hr OBD2TOOL 23
News Retiring NASCAR star Danica Patrick hopes to ha... Jan 19 Oink pharts 6
News Video: RC toy car cruises down Houston freeway ... Jan 18 LONG FARTS 3
What is the most reliable engine ever made? (Aug '08) Jan 16 Retired Master Tech 218
More toyota Junk (Jun '07) Jan 12 Canada Rocks 338
BMW ISTA-D Rheingold 4.05.23 free dwonload her... (May '17) Jan 7 OBD2TOOL 6
More from around the web