NHTSA opening probe into Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey transmission defect

Nov 24, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Autoblog

Most alarming is that many of the transmissions reportedly fail at highway speeds.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jul 9, 2013
rick west

Belleville, MI

#1 Jan 30, 2010
my 2004 Mercury Monterrey transmission has slipped and engine surged while driving then went back into gear has an automatic transmission has done it while backing out of drive way too...
Consumers Choice

Greencastle, PA

#2 Jan 31, 2010
Scary stuff. I'd rather remove my floormat than have to deal with a temperamental transmission.
aaron c jackson

Westerville, OH

#4 Jul 6, 2010
I bought a ford windstar in '95 and had to have the tranny replaced while in warranty...not long after warranty expiration it failed again to the tune of c.$1200.00. It also had headgasket trouble but that was fived through a recall. In 2007 I bought a 2004 Freestar thinking that Ford had taken care of troubles. Well, the tranny just failed on 7/04/10 at c. 111,000 miles. I just went through an expensive divorce and I'm trying to keep my home for my kids sake and now this. I was going 35-40 mph and then I'm coasting. no sound, bump, or other signs. Then no !, 3, D, or R...just neutral and park. Now I'm finding out that the torque converter splines fail frequently on this tranny. Think I'll trust you again...Ford tough is very deceptive. Tough as what? I have a kid in college and one going this fall and I'm doing it on a teachers salary. I'm simply in deep trouble when I need it least. I drive a lot but it is mostly freeway and therefore easy miles. Ford may have gotten their last chance from me and anyone I can ward off...before this I was very fond of the vehicle but no matter how nice it is, if it won't go, what good is it?...Aaron C. Jackson

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#5 Jul 6, 2010
Find the tallest bridge and jump.
Jackie

United States

#6 Aug 31, 2010
Ford Freestar 2004 - Every time it rains, the vehicle has to be towed. If left improperly resolved, it can mimic a transmission problem because it won't go forward or reverse BUT it is not the transmission. It is 2 of the coil paks that gets wet and makes the computer (pcm) act up. It will then possibly start giving a number of codes.
The NHTSA is currently investigating the issue however, since I bought it from a dealer with a warranty and after trying to fix the problem more than 4 times, I let them keep it the last time it was in for repair. According to our state law, 4 tries to fix it is all I have to give them!!! The warranty failed and I have filed suit!!!
Ford knows about this and put out a TB on it. They should have recalled it but it takes the NHTSA to make them do it and so it's under investigation. There are SO many complaints on the NHTSA web site about the 04 Ford Freestar.
Truckin

Greensboro, NC

#7 Aug 31, 2010
Bad axles and transmissions?
annoyed freestar owner

Morehead, KY

#9 Nov 2, 2010
From what I found the NHTSA investigation is closed with nothing taken care of, we replaced the coil paks on our van and it lasted a week. Everytime it rains or we hit a mud puddle my van jerks and doesnt want to go and once in awhile has stalled out. I am filing a complaint with the nhtsa maybe we can get this investigation reopened and get something done. This is not the first problem I have had with this van in the last couple of years we have owned it, we have had one problem after another including a LOUD noise that just started comming from the rear end. If I didnt owe so much on it I would trade it in....
William fro Puerto Rico

United States

#10 Feb 23, 2011
I like to be kept informed if ford does something. I will try to find other people who have one and ask them if they had problems with it. you can contact me at wlourido@aol.com.
Renee

United States

#11 Jun 24, 2011
We have a 2004 Monterrey with the 3rd transmission now. Problems with the automatic doors not closing properly, now it clicks when I turn.
matthew

Wheatley, Canada

#12 Jul 26, 2011
I own a 2005 ford freestar i really got sick of this van ( slide doors problem , tranny problem ,flex pipe problem , back brake problem)
Jeff

Westfield, NY

#13 Aug 5, 2011
2004 Merc. Monterey. Transmission rebuild, water mysteriously entered transmission. Shop cannot find leak, perhaps the upper transmission vent. Expensive fix. Ford should recall this transmission.
Corrie Fochler

Westland, MI

#14 Nov 7, 2011
2004 Mercury Monterey. There was a tsb to show that that the pcm and transvent weren't carefully covered to prevent water from entering them. I have replaced the PCM and used weather stripping and silicon to prevent that again. I also siliconed the windshield weather strip. The Ignition module cracked and had to be replaced. Cheap but a pain the butt (again had to remove the cowl). Now 3 pulleys are bad and the alternator pulley and vacuum. Large chirp and squealing noises alerted us to those failures. this thing has been such a learning experience.
Corrie Fochler

Westland, MI

#15 Nov 7, 2011
Forgot to mention when you need balljoints you must buy them with the control arms at about $250 a piece and have the motor mount off to change them. Owners should get to design cars.
2004 Freestar

Burlington, VT

#16 Feb 16, 2012
Own a 2004 Freestar, Relaced tranny at 64,000, torque coverter went.I replaced the whole tranny with a Ford rebuilt. 3 yr 36000mi warrenty. Tranny just went at 95,000, Warrenty runs out 6/2012, brought it in Ford service says water in tranny, warranty now void. water leaked in from Trans axel vent they know it, but won't honor warrenty. I need help 2/16/2012.Lord bles you all that can help a rightous Bro. Brian From Vermont
dan manary

Rochester, MI

#17 Jul 8, 2013
**** ford never buy one again torque converter trashed tranny and they kno it as much as i do and ford won't honor shit
FORD Recalls by Model

Savage, MN

#18 Jul 9, 2013
FORD Recalls by Model

5,425 Recalls
47,972 Service Bulletins
2,854 Investigations
123,115 Comments

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/ford_reca...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
islam 5 hr SOSO 1
Latinas get attention in male-led lowrider clubs 9 hr daisy 1
Malaysia Airlines Is Hemorrhaging Money, Flying... Sat _malon_goblok 5
What Car Should You Drive Based on Your College? Sat reality is a crutch 1
CEO to reveal 5-year strategy in early 2014; ke... (Nov '13) Sat Alf 11
Why Cars Don't Get 80 Miles Per Gallon: 4 Reasons Aug 29 liner 6
Can You Guess What Countries Build The Most Cars? Aug 29 John Jeffery 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••