Coming Soon To All 50 States: VW's 60 mpg Jetta Diesel

Apr 26, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Wired News

Categories: Diesel , New Vehicles Volkswagen has at last finished working on its 60 mpg Jetta BlueTDI diesel, and not only does it look great, but it's coming to America later this year. via Wired News

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Sep 8, 2013
WTF

Okotoks, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

how come American car manufacturers cant build something like that??
they suck

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

Judged:

easy answer the unions and american car makers suck

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

I don't mind if the US car manufacturers, for whatever reason, don't build cars like this as long as I can buy one. Chrysler has diesel models over in europe it refuses to bring to the US. Love to have the diesel version of the dodge magnum. Also would buy the diesel version of the dodge caliber in a minute. I enjoyed chrysler's decision not to produce the diesel caravan in the US saying, "US consumers are not ready for a diesel minivan". Chrysler will wish it had once the honda odyssey goes diesel next year and gets in the mid 30's.
Truckin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

This thing will surely be in hot demand.
Uncle Vick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Judged:

NOBODY will buy this pile of JUNK, it is JUNK JUNK JUNK!!!!!!!!! Everybody will be buying the all new Dodge Caliber instead, it is much more efficent, Cmon I need your help to get back to work, BUY THIS CALIBER INSTEAD!!!
Tell-You

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Uncle Vick wrote:
NOBODY will buy this pile of JUNK, it is JUNK JUNK JUNK!!!!!!!!! Everybody will be buying the all new Dodge Caliber instead, it is much more efficent, Cmon I need your help to get back to work, BUY THIS CALIBER INSTEAD!!!
The caliber is also much more uglier too and has less quality materials. Anyway I would guy from the japs b4 the germans anyway
Uncle Vick

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

You guys are all correct, Dodge has designed and marketed a sub-par compact car in the Caliber and the Jeep Compass is a complete flop. I will be out of work for a long long time.

Belvidere is slated to go down to 1 shift starting this fall.

ridgefarm Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Uncle Vick wrote:
You guys are all correct, Dodge has designed and marketed a sub-par compact car in the Caliber and the Jeep Compass is a complete flop. I will be out of work for a long long time.
Belvidere is slated to go down to 1 shift starting this fall.
The caliber would be fine if dodge would just put a small diesel in it. But for whatever reason, personally I think chrysler management is brain dead, chrysler is avoiding diesels. I don't think they realize how the US market has changed and now MPG rules.
Uncle Vick

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Tom Loy wrote:
<quoted text>
The caliber would be fine if dodge would just put a small diesel in it. But for whatever reason, personally I think chrysler management is brain dead, chrysler is avoiding diesels. I don't think they realize how the US market has changed and now MPG rules.
I just saw a commerical where the Avenger with a 4-cyl gets a claimed better MPG than the Caliber with the same 4-cyl.

Maybe Chrysler did a bad job with the Caliber, but surely being a compact car it should get metter MPG than an Avenger.

ridgefarm Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Uncle Vick wrote:
<quoted text>
I just saw a commerical where the Avenger with a 4-cyl gets a claimed better MPG than the Caliber with the same 4-cyl.
Maybe Chrysler did a bad job with the Caliber, but surely being a compact car it should get metter MPG than an Avenger.
Thats amazing! I missed that. The avenger weighs 400 more pounds than the caliber, uses a bigger 4 cylinder, and gets better mileage? The caliber uses a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder, the avenger a 2.4 litre. A very sad commentary on the dodge caliber.
Truckin

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Tom Loy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats amazing! I missed that. The avenger weighs 400 more pounds than the caliber, uses a bigger 4 cylinder, and gets better mileage? The caliber uses a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder, the avenger a 2.4 litre. A very sad commentary on the dodge caliber.
I think I saw the same commercial here in NC. They were advertising a "base" Avenger and it had better EPA highway MPG than the Caliber they were advertising.

It's funny because the Caliber cannot compete in the compact vehicle class and the Avenger with the 4.0L V6 and AWD gets worse mileage than my Tundra!
Built Ford Tough

Newtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Judged:

The Jetta sucks. It was just listed as one of the worst used cars you can buy. Plus the only people you see driving these are girls. Also to mention that Deisel fuel is over $4.00's a gallon.

ridgefarm Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2008

Built Ford Tough wrote:
The Jetta sucks. It was just listed as one of the worst used cars you can buy. Plus the only people you see driving these are girls. Also to mention that Deisel fuel is over $4.00's a gallon.
Oh? At least jetta's don't burst into flame like fords did with that cruise control problem.
Uncle Vick

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2008

Tom Loy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh? At least jetta's don't burst into flame like fords did with that cruise control problem.
Ford struggles to hit 30mpg....enough said.

Since: Dec 07

the woods, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2008

Judged:

With gas at $3.60 a gallon and Diesel at $4.75 its about equivelant to driving a 45 mpg regular gasoline car price wise. Not bad at all. Lets just hope the reliability improves alittle bit.
Dieselfan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Tom Loy wrote:
I don't mind if the US car manufacturers, for whatever reason, don't build cars like this as long as I can buy one. Chrysler has diesel models over in europe it refuses to bring to the US. Love to have the diesel version of the dodge magnum. Also would buy the diesel version of the dodge caliber in a minute. I enjoyed chrysler's decision not to produce the diesel caravan in the US saying, "US consumers are not ready for a diesel minivan". Chrysler will wish it had once the honda odyssey goes diesel next year and gets in the mid 30's.
Why buy a diesel car that gets only 30 mpg? Seems to me if that's all that Honda can get out of their cars with a diesel in them, I'll wait and get the VW.
diesel

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Dieselfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why buy a diesel car that gets only 30 mpg? Seems to me if that's all that Honda can get out of their cars with a diesel in them, I'll wait and get the VW.
b/c you can fight back and avoid high cost of fuel by burning old grease,

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.ht...

http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/
TW Traveler

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Uncle Vick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ford struggles to hit 30mpg....enough said.
The Fords sold in Europe get 60 MPG. The US regulations are not allowing the fuel efficient designs to be sold in the US.
Danger Ranger

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Have any of you ever been to Europe & seen the belching soot POS diesels that are common over there? Its simple economics...it would cost the manufactures too much to equip Eurotrash models to run on US standard low sulfur diesel. With that said the few manufacturers that do bother to try are finding some success and I'd welcome more diesel options in the US....Driving a turbo diesel in Korea every day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••