Jeep Patriot: An Unpleasant Surprise

Jeep Patriot: An Unpleasant Surprise

There are 37 comments on the Motor Trend story from Jan 11, 2010, titled Jeep Patriot: An Unpleasant Surprise. In it, Motor Trend reports that:

On New Year's Eve-Eve my Chrysler Sebring test car was swapped for a Jeep Patriot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Motor Trend.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 11

Ypsilanti, MI

#22 Oct 25, 2011
The Patriot only started selling after they gave it a more Jeepier looking facelift and got rid of that craptacular hard plastic interior.

*NOW* it's a Good, Nice Jeep.
Chrysler sucks

United States

#23 Oct 25, 2011
TheRealDeal wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey "Leaving Town", you don't honestly think anybody would believe such an obviously fake post. Even the dumbest Chrysler worker would not make such a post. You are obviously either a laid off Chrysler worker or jealous of those who are.
I have 19 years with Chrysler and their junk ill never buy a Chrysler.Toyota man here I work at shap department 9150.
jrejr98

Madison Heights, MI

#24 Oct 25, 2011
Chrysler sucks wrote:
<quoted text>I have 19 years with Chrysler and their junk ill never buy a Chrysler.Toyota man here I work at shap department 9150.
Toyota man, eh?
do you drive with crash helmet?
you should try Chrysler products, they have great floor mats.
LMAO.
jess

United States

#25 Oct 25, 2011
Wrangled wrote:
Jeep needs to continue on with the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty as its only models. All the other models are poor sellers and performers. They have diluted the brand.
my liberty was a piece of $hit and I love my patriot!
Rich

Mason, OH

#26 Aug 28, 2012
I purchased a Jeep Patriot earlier this year. I replaced my 10 year old KIA Sportage. The KIA was not perfect but already has a much better track record. The AM band on my radio stopped working. The dealer needed 3 hours to determine that the radio was broken. Now the tire pressure indicator is lit. I checked the tire pressures inflated all to 36 psi and the indicator is still on. Now I have a broken radio and a tire pressure indicator light on all the time. To get this repaired will take at least two more trips to the dealer. These minor problems wouldn't be a big deal if the dealer could attempt to solve minor problems on the first visit. The purpose in buying a new car in not to see how many hours and visits you can log into the service department. Bottom line, I really miss my KIA. Very few problems over the 10 years I owned it. Jeep is junk.
mremae

Battle Creek, MI

#27 Aug 28, 2012
Rich wrote:
I purchased a Jeep Patriot earlier this year. I replaced my 10 year old KIA Sportage. The KIA was not perfect but already has a much better track record. The AM band on my radio stopped working. The dealer needed 3 hours to determine that the radio was broken. Now the tire pressure indicator is lit. I checked the tire pressures inflated all to 36 psi and the indicator is still on. Now I have a broken radio and a tire pressure indicator light on all the time. To get this repaired will take at least two more trips to the dealer. These minor problems wouldn't be a big deal if the dealer could attempt to solve minor problems on the first visit. The purpose in buying a new car in not to see how many hours and visits you can log into the service department. Bottom line, I really miss my KIA. Very few problems over the 10 years I owned it. Jeep is junk.
I'm so sorry you can't get AM and that you have light on your dashboard that has nothing to do with a mechanical issue. You are right it's junk. Who can blame you for thinking that way when it starts and runs as expected. I'm glad you can see into the future and see it will take 2 more visits to fix the problems. If that does happen then thats your fault. Grow a pair and let them know you don't want it back until the issues are resolved. It's ok to demand it, you won't hurt their feelings. I sure hope your car runs ok when it's fixed. Of wait it runs fine. You are whining about things that are minor but you have blown them way out of proportion. You bought a jeep patriot for gods sake. It was pretty crappy to start out but it will last years and you'll be fine.

Since: Aug 12

Miami, FL

#28 Aug 29, 2012
The Patriot is great it is the Jeep Compass that is CRAP. I AGREE)))
JeepDealers.org
kendral

Grenada

#29 Nov 9, 2012
i can f in stand Google
Jeep patriot

Kansas City, MO

#30 Dec 4, 2012
Jeepers wrote:
The Jeep Patriot is a disgrace to the Jeep brand and to the North American automotive market. The public has responded by not purchasing the vehicle, leaving it to be killed off by the Chrysler product planning team. End of story.
The patriot is a cheap vehicle no wear and the this vehicle should last for ever but it won't to many things break on it we will never buy another jeep

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#31 Dec 20, 2012
Love to see the diesel patriot in the US. It gets a reported 35 mpg with a 2 litre diesel.
jsb

Royal Oak, MI

#33 Dec 21, 2012
I bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L/CVT/4WD in March.
It's been a great vehicle.
Zero defect build, no recalls, no service bulletins.
I'm very happy with it, and would buy it again.
realist

Saint Louis, MO

#34 Jan 19, 2014
2013 jeep patriot 4x4. Underpowered, always in wrong gear. Trouble accelerating and getting up slight inclines. Cramped, poorly designed and laid out. Where is the other half of the side mirrors? Seatbelts=5. Comfortable seating for zero. Even my 3- and 4-year olds are cramped in the back. My knees hit the dash. Very difficult to get in and out. No space in back. Center console is a disaster, with everything in the wrong place and the wrong height. The door sills are way to high. Very claustrophobic. The materials seem to be the cheapest known to man. The interior fell apart almost immediately. I mean the headliner, visors, dash, panels, etc. The power windows jammed. The windows also leak. Drives like a junky FWD. The vehicle groans and grinds. Doesn't run well when cold. Not even suitable for getting groceries. My family of 4 apparently requires to much weight and size in weekly groceries. Poor suspension. The rear wiper was nice while it worked. The climate controls are in poor positions and require taking the driver's attention from the road. The gear shift is uncomfortably located. The 4WD control is very flimsy. It is electronic, but kept losing 4WD in the snow. After a few tries at awkwardly putting it back in 4WD, the switch came loose and site cockeyed. It now requires two-handed operation, and I have to stop and ritch around in the seat to get under the decorative center console to access it. The chrome has flaked off. At least there isn't any noticeable shirt torque. The gear options are PRND. No 1 or 2. No idea about the +/-D thing. Manual would make the gear options better, and perhaps boost the MPG. The steering wheel is uncomfortable in my hands. I can't find a good place to hold it. What is up with all the levers poking out of the steering column? I don't need most of that on the wheel. The seals under the rear doors have come out due to entry/egress resulting in fumes and water getting into the cabin. The stuffing in the rear seats deteriorated from the child seats. The front seats have the outer seat edge all worn and torn from entry/egress. The backs of the front seats are falling apart from the feet/knees of my kids. I can't even get into the back seat, unless laying across it. At least the floor mats stayed in place. The vehicle is so narrow that I think economy airplane seats are more comfortable. As far as MPG, I filled up. After 102 miles, the gas light came on. Put in over 11 gallons of gas. Horrible! I want my Avalanche back! I guess this model was so base that they omitted the horsepower, torque, working anything, quality parts, quality materials, good layout, good design, space, etc.
buttplug

Rockford, IL

#35 Jan 19, 2014
realist wrote:
2013 jeep patriot 4x4. Underpowered, always in wrong gear. Trouble accelerating and getting up slight inclines. Cramped, poorly designed and laid out. Where is the other half of the side mirrors? Seatbelts=5. Comfortable seating for zero. Even my 3- and 4-year olds are cramped in the back. My knees hit the dash. Very difficult to get in and out. No space in back. Center console is a disaster, with everything in the wrong place and the wrong height. The door sills are way to high. Very claustrophobic. The materials seem to be the cheapest known to man. The interior fell apart almost immediately. I mean the headliner, visors, dash, panels, etc. The power windows jammed. The windows also leak. Drives like a junky FWD. The vehicle groans and grinds. Doesn't run well when cold. Not even suitable for getting groceries. My family of 4 apparently requires to much weight and size in weekly groceries. Poor suspension. The rear wiper was nice while it worked. The climate controls are in poor positions and require taking the driver's attention from the road. The gear shift is uncomfortably located. The 4WD control is very flimsy. It is electronic, but kept losing 4WD in the snow. After a few tries at awkwardly putting it back in 4WD, the switch came loose and site cockeyed. It now requires two-handed operation, and I have to stop and ritch around in the seat to get under the decorative center console to access it. The chrome has flaked off. At least there isn't any noticeable shirt torque. The gear options are PRND. No 1 or 2. No idea about the +/-D thing. Manual would make the gear options better, and perhaps boost the MPG. The steering wheel is uncomfortable in my hands. I can't find a good place to hold it. What is up with all the levers poking out of the steering column? I don't need most of that on the wheel. The seals under the rear doors have come out due to entry/egress resulting in fumes and water getting into the cabin. The stuffing in the rear seats deteriorated from the child seats. The front seats have the outer seat edge all worn and torn from entry/egress. The backs of the front seats are falling apart from the feet/knees of my kids. I can't even get into the back seat, unless laying across it. At least the floor mats stayed in place. The vehicle is so narrow that I think economy airplane seats are more comfortable. As far as MPG, I filled up. After 102 miles, the gas light came on. Put in over 11 gallons of gas. Horrible! I want my Avalanche back! I guess this model was so base that they omitted the horsepower, torque, working anything, quality parts, quality materials, good layout, good design, space, etc.
you traded an Avalanche, for a base model Patriot, and are surprised that its not as powerful?

did you test drive it before you bought it?

also, you complain an awful lot about the space, not enough room for kids, so and so forth..

didnt you sit in it before you bought it? Didnt you take space for kids into consideration before you bought it?

most of your complaining is your fault. Think before you act, bud.
Charles

Leadwood, MO

#36 Jan 19, 2014
I could sell this stupid @ss a bag of sh!t.
Sergio_Says

Royal Oak, MI

#37 Jan 27, 2014
realist wrote:
yeah, yeah. sure. that's what you say.
chrisRalley

Laval, Canada

#38 Jun 30, 2014
i own a 2008 .i am not even done paying the piece of Trash and I have had to do several repairs.I am only at 125 000 kms. i am gonna sell it now that i fixed it and it will be paid.will never buy another one again, a car made of lego would last longer.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#39 Jul 1, 2014
Better choice these days....would likely be a Subaru Forester or Honda CRV......Haven't heard anything negative about them....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
V11.00.017 Toyota TIS Techstream Free Download (Feb '16) 10 hr Jdail2002 13
2018 Ford F-150 - New grille, front, headlights... 13 hr VanjaIbanez 1
2020 Ford Bronco 13 hr VanjaIbanez 1
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) Sat Pierre 297
News Reuss: Ignition crisis was GM's change agent Sat Solarman 1
News 5 biggest shocks: What surprised us at the Detr... Fri Christsharians on... 1
Launch M-Diag OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Instruction Fri car-diagnostic-tool 2
More from around the web