DOJ: Cross atop war memorial is appro...

DOJ: Cross atop war memorial is appropriate

There are 18 comments on the WGAL-TV Lancaster story from Apr 12, 2014, titled DOJ: Cross atop war memorial is appropriate. In it, WGAL-TV Lancaster reports that:

Once you're logged in, at the top of each article, video or slideshow you will see a list of your Facebook friends who recently visited Choose to share stories you'e read with your friends or turn sharing OFF to keep your reading experience anonymous .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGAL-TV Lancaster.

“Kenyan-born Obama=Antichrist”

Since: Sep 09

Casper, WY

#1 Apr 12, 2014
It was a sad day indeed nine years ago when all the crosses were removed from all the chapel-steeples on Fort McCoy, Wisconsin.
I hate Big Brother.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#2 Apr 12, 2014
more time wasting buIIshit from the loons on the left...

if they actually read the constitution, they'd know it prohibits the government from establishing a "national" religion, THAT is the separation of church and state...
it also guarantees protection to practice your religion of choice...

the liberal loons don't like that.
Sterkfontei Swartkrans

Warrington, PA

#3 Apr 12, 2014
What's the big deal. If some people don't like the cross no one if forcing them to look at it. Some of these atheists need to get a grip! Military cemeteries are full of crosses. Do they want to remove those too?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Apr 12, 2014
Sorry pals, but a supposed war memorial should represent ALL Americans, not just Christians.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#5 Apr 12, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Sorry pals, but a supposed war memorial should represent ALL Americans, not just Christians.
really?
I don't hear my fellow jews bitching about this, nor have I heard any muslims making a stink, nor hindus, buddists, scientologists or hari krishnas...just the left wing liberal atheists...

the folks that want it THEIR way, all the time, every time.
THEY don't represent ALL Americans, either!
777senses

Greenfield, IN

#6 Apr 12, 2014
the Cross? why the chicken wanne cross the 1600 Avenue? ;-00
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#7 Apr 12, 2014
My opinion is as long as all religious symbols can be placed on public land I am fine. I would be ok with all religions being taught in school. But if one is left out then all should be.

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Apr 13, 2014
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
really?
I don't hear my fellow jews bitching about this, nor have I heard any muslims making a stink, nor hindus, buddists, scientologists or hari krishnas...just the left wing liberal atheists...
You hear what you want to hear. Just because Fox News & WND don't carry stories about people of other faiths complaining, doesn't mean they don't exist.

If it's not an endorsement of Christianity, then why is a cross needed in the first place?

And why do they resist adding OTHER faith symbols of equal size to these sites?

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Apr 13, 2014
cancer suxs wrote:
My opinion is as long as all religious symbols can be placed on public land I am fine. I would be ok with all religions being taught in school. But if one is left out then all should be.
The problem is too many Christians insist on promoting ONLY Christianity, which is why these groups have always resisted putting up other faith symbols. For some reason they NEED to have the government promoting Christianity and ONLY Christianity. I think they have low self esteem.

As for teaching religion in school, that's what private religious based schools are for. Teaching religion in public school just opens up the kids to someone promoting their religion over that of another. Even Christians can't seem to agree on which is the "right" religion among Christianity.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#10 Apr 13, 2014
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
really?
Then obviously you did not read the underlying article. The Jewish War Veterans of the United States is one of the groups challenging the cross.

Which statement don't you understand...

The United States is NOT a christian nation.

Not every citizen is a christian.

Not every veteran is a christian.

Not every active service member is a christian.

The cross atop this memorial does not cover all veterans of the Korean War and is offensive to many making the memorial exclusionary.
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#15 Apr 14, 2014
Sterkfontei Swartkrans wrote:
What's the big deal. If some people don't like the cross no one if forcing them to look at it. Some of these atheists need to get a grip! Military cemeteries are full of crosses. Do they want to remove those too?
Good thing that Jesus wasn't killed by hanging with a noose.

Imagine seeing rows and rows of nooses in the cemetary OR a noose hung on a war memorial.
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#16 Apr 14, 2014
charles in charge wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation is why you can't put f---ing crosses on government monuments, buildings, etc.
DUMBASS.
The separation of church and state ONLY relates to CONGRESS not making laws regarding religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, of of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

So it really ISN'T separation of church and state. There are very specific instances listed above about what CONGRESS cannot do.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#18 Apr 14, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
The separation of church and state ONLY relates to CONGRESS not making laws regarding religion.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, of of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
So it really ISN'T separation of church and state. There are very specific instances listed above about what CONGRESS cannot do.
The memorial in question is supposedly to commemorate those that served in the Korean war. But the memorial is saying to those service members that are not christians that their service is not being commemorated. Not worthy of commemoration. And this being done on PUBLIC land. And congress did act to make sure that only those with a particular religion are being commemorated.

And congress has enacted other laws.

Should congress declare that there IS a god? and only one god? Seems that congress established a religious belief system that excludes all other religious beliefs that do not hold that as true.

Congress established that we supposedly have a particular relationship (In God We Trust) with this singular god that they also established as law. How is that not establishing a religion?

By Congress' actions, they have disadvantaged those that do not share a belief system that has a singular deity.

How does one have their own personal 'freedom of religion' without first being free from another's religious belief?

I don't believe in god. Which bank has the non-religious money? Which ATM? I cannot say the Pledge of Allegiance without violating my religious beliefs. Am I not also entitled to show MY patriotism through the pledge?

Non-christians are no longer willing to sit in the back of the bus, stay in the closet, while christians force their beliefs as if itís the only true religion.

“Kenyan-born Obama=Antichrist”

Since: Sep 09

Casper, WY

#19 Apr 14, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing that Jesus wasn't killed by hanging with a noose.
Imagine seeing rows and rows of nooses in the cemetary OR a noose hung on a war memorial.
Or guillotines.
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#21 Apr 15, 2014
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
The memorial in question is supposedly to commemorate those that served in the Korean war. But the memorial is saying to those service members that are not christians that their service is not being commemorated. Not worthy of commemoration. And this being done on PUBLIC land. And congress did act to make sure that only those with a particular religion are being commemorated.
And congress has enacted other laws.
Should congress declare that there IS a god? and only one god? Seems that congress established a religious belief system that excludes all other religious beliefs that do not hold that as true.
Congress established that we supposedly have a particular relationship (In God We Trust) with this singular god that they also established as law. How is that not establishing a religion?
By Congress' actions, they have disadvantaged those that do not share a belief system that has a singular deity.
How does one have their own personal 'freedom of religion' without first being free from another's religious belief?
I don't believe in god. Which bank has the non-religious money? Which ATM? I cannot say the Pledge of Allegiance without violating my religious beliefs. Am I not also entitled to show MY patriotism through the pledge?
Non-christians are no longer willing to sit in the back of the bus, stay in the closet, while christians force their beliefs as if itís the only true religion.
People can believe in a god and not necessarily belong to any religion.

I saw on TV the other day, something former Pres. Reagan said and it goes something like this:

After he and his group had been served a many course dinner, he asked, "Do you believe there is a cook".

Same for a god. It can be reasonable for some to believe there is a god and still not go to a church, or embrace any other religious belief SYSTEMS.(religion)

Just out of curiousity, do you consider your lack of a belief in a god an actual 'religion'? Or just a belief?

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#22 Apr 15, 2014
I think that Eric "The Turd" Holder's presence in the DOJ is inappropriate.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#23 Apr 15, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
<quoted text>
People can believe in a god and not necessarily belong to any religion.
I saw on TV the other day, something former Pres. Reagan said and it goes something like this:
After he and his group had been served a many course dinner, he asked, "Do you believe there is a cook".
Same for a god. It can be reasonable for some to believe there is a god and still not go to a church, or embrace any other religious belief SYSTEMS.(religion)
Just out of curiousity, do you consider your lack of a belief in a god an actual 'religion'? Or just a belief?
All religions are merely belief systems as is atheism so in the eyes of the law and through our government they should ALL be treated the same. It has nothing to do with going or belonging to a church, etc.

Having a cross atop a war memorial is not treating all those that served in the war the same. Having 'In God We Trust' as our motto is an affirmative statement that 'WE' cannot make. You can make that statement but congress cannot. We are not '...One Nation Under God...' and for congress to enact that as law is an affront to those that do not share that belief.

Just because the majority hold a similar belief system does not mean they can continue to treat those with opposing views as if they don't exist. The 1st Amendment, more than any of the other, shows why the will of the majority cannot be used to suppress the rights of the minority.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#28 Apr 15, 2014
charles in charge wrote:
<quoted text>
No one cares what you think, Smelly Peter.
Apparently you do, liberal putz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 cylinder chevy colorado (May '07) 43 min Bob D 316
News GM to Introduce at Least 20 New EVs by 2023 Tue BS Repellent 6
EU cars key programmer advice, Lonsdor K518 is ... Oct 12 lanny717 2
XTOOL X-100 PAD Tablet Key Programmer (Nov '15) Oct 10 jimmyLIN 16
XTOOL X300 Plus X300+ Auto Key Programmer with ... Oct 10 jimmyLIN 1
Full-System Diagnosis for Gasoline Oct 7 jimmyLIN 1
News The World's Cleanest 2003 Honda Odyssey Has An ... Oct 1 pbug56 1
BMW ISTA-D Rheingold 4.05.23 free dwonload her... Sep 26 willburr555 5
More from around the web