How the Ford Focus Electric tested my...

How the Ford Focus Electric tested my EV faith

There are 2 comments on the Consumer Reports story from Nov 23, 2012, titled How the Ford Focus Electric tested my EV faith. In it, Consumer Reports reports that:

Consumer Reports' headquarters is 115 miles from our test track, or about 35 miles longer than the measured range on our Ford Focus Electric.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Consumer Reports.

Snohomish, WA

#1 Dec 13, 2012
It's funny how so many mainstream media posts are negative towards EVs when there are tons of users on forums (like ) that are driving the Focus Electric without any issues.
Powerstroke NC

Calabash, NC

#2 Oct 6, 2013
I agree with Benson! If you look at the Auto world there are literally thousands of configurations and types of cars you can buy. From tiny compacts to huge Suburbans. All these vehicles have pro's & con's for a particular buyer.
So why the haters on Electric Vehicles??
They have their own set of pros and cons just like any other vehicle. People are buying them! At last guess looks like about 100,000 EV's sold in their various forms from different manufacturers....
If you looked at the relatively short period EV's have been around (several years) this is a significant number!!
I know the Nissan Leaf & Tesla have been around longer but overall most manufacturers(Toyota;Ford; BMW) have just launched or are in the process of launching models.
It is a shame that human negativity has to get in the way of innovation so regularly. When someone drives an EV they are really surprised at how well they drive and the high level of performance.
Mostly, people are concerned about range which brings me back to my original point. If you need more range or are not comfortable with it, then don't buy an EV!
Just like you wouldn't buy a Mini Cooper if you had 3 kids and 2 dogs and liked to take trips to the Beach and bring Grandma. You would buy a Minivan or large SUV.
The interesting phenomenon though in this scenarios, you don't take to the internet to write about how stupidly impractical the Mini Cooper is for carrying your family. You just move on and leave the Mini to well... be a Mini. Which it does well in its own right. Much like EV's.
So as soon as people stop 'worrying' about what EV's can and cannot do and just let them be a 'segment' in a very wide array of choices when buying a car. The sooner we can focus more on positive things like establishing an infrastructure to support EV's. Lets face it we have a bazillion gas stations to support any kind of fossil fuel you want to burn. Lets take a look at how we can add charging stations where it makes sense to support EV's which is a cleaner technology.
New and exciting technology will develop much faster if we all got together to help support it rather than find ways to be negative about it. Come on folks lets move over to the positive terminal !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Autos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OP-COM 2012V/ VAUX-COM 120309a Free Download 2 hr lalaura 1
KESS V2 KSuite V2.15 free download 2 hr lalaura 1
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 15 hr Executive Committee 10,858
News You Can Buy A Lexus That Parks Itself For The P... 19 hr reverse osmosis 1
News Rare Exemplar 1 concept car heading to auction ... Wed BPT 8
Shopping Online for Save Time and Money. Tue mayanktanwar 1
2006 Chevrolet Impala Battery Drain Tue mayanktanwar 4
More from around the web