toyota recalls 850,000 trucks due to frame rot!

Posted in the Autos Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of201
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 07

the woods, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

Judged:

Yes thats right, 850,000, as in almost 1 million trucks being recalled due to extreme frame rot.

Trucks affected are 1995-2000 Toyota Tacomas. If you live in a state where salt is used on the road, you are entitled to a refund of 150% of the trucks book value in pristine condition, no matter what the actual condition or miles are.

Since: Aug 07

Trumbull CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2008

need to find that thread "oriental toyota rust bucket"

lol
ICL2200

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

Judged:

If you buy a 1970's through 1980's and EVEN POSSIBLY even newer, Toyota pickup, in a few years the body and frame will rust out and the truck will literally break in half!!!!! I cannot tell you how many toyotas i saw like this while help out a friend at his used truck lot, working on these Toyotas. I would see things like metal welded to the frames to patch the rusting frames, boards put between the cab and bed to help support the rusty and highly flexly rotted frame, and one fellow who was trying to "restore" his old 1970's Toyota 4 wheel drive, took the bed off and was backing it up after he took the bed off, and the truck broke in half and left him looking at the sky through his windshield!!!! Sold it for JUNK!!!
Funny,i have a 1970, Dodge Long bed 2 wheel drive Pickup, 1978 Dodge power wagon, 4X4, and a 1983 Dodge short bed 2 wheel drive, and they ALL have solid frames, and very little rust in the bodies! I DO NOT have to worry about them breaking in half!! And they have all been the very definition of reliable!
I even wrecked my 1978 Power wagon once, the trailer i was towing was imbalanced, and jack knifed my Power Wagon into a ditch and up on it's drivers side, so when we finally got the trailer off of it, we turned it back on it's wheels, i jumped in and it fired up and i drove it home under it's OWN POWER!! RAM TOUGH DODGE INDEED!!! So, DO NOT tell me American Cars and Trucks are no good!
Built Ford Tough

Newtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

ICL2200 wrote:
If you buy a 1970's through 1980's and EVEN POSSIBLY even newer, Toyota pickup, in a few years the body and frame will rust out and the truck will literally break in half!!!!! I cannot tell you how many toyotas i saw like this while help out a friend at his used truck lot, working on these Toyotas. I would see things like metal welded to the frames to patch the rusting frames, boards put between the cab and bed to help support the rusty and highly flexly rotted frame, and one fellow who was trying to "restore" his old 1970's Toyota 4 wheel drive, took the bed off and was backing it up after he took the bed off, and the truck broke in half and left him looking at the sky through his windshield!!!! Sold it for JUNK!!!
Funny,i have a 1970, Dodge Long bed 2 wheel drive Pickup, 1978 Dodge power wagon, 4X4, and a 1983 Dodge short bed 2 wheel drive, and they ALL have solid frames, and very little rust in the bodies! I DO NOT have to worry about them breaking in half!! And they have all been the very definition of reliable!
I even wrecked my 1978 Power wagon once, the trailer i was towing was imbalanced, and jack knifed my Power Wagon into a ditch and up on it's drivers side, so when we finally got the trailer off of it, we turned it back on it's wheels, i jumped in and it fired up and i drove it home under it's OWN POWER!! RAM TOUGH DODGE INDEED!!! So, DO NOT tell me American Cars and Trucks are no good!
Man those Power Wagons were some tough trucks, they could do some climbing too. My buddy bought one back when we were kids and he beat the s*** out of the thing and just would not die. Dodge is the only other truck I would own. I came close to a 2500 Big Horn.
Cassie Cecil

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

Does the truck have to be a 4wd or can it be a 2wd..my husband drives a 1997 toyota tacoma and the underneath is rusted severly...and if we can who should we take it to.. we live in pike county ky where salt is used quiet frequently.
Thank you
Tell-It wrote:
Yes thats right, 850,000, as in almost 1 million trucks being recalled due to extreme frame rot.
Trucks affected are 1995-2000 Toyota Tacomas. If you live in a state where salt is used on the road, you are entitled to a refund of 150% of the trucks book value in pristine condition, no matter what the actual condition or miles are.

the woods, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

Cassie Cecil wrote:
Does the truck have to be a 4wd or can it be a 2wd..my husband drives a 1997 toyota tacoma and the underneath is rusted severly...and if we can who should we take it to.. we live in pike county ky where salt is used quiet frequently.
Thank you
<quoted text>
Im not sure. Check with your local dealer. i dont see why the 2wd versions would be unnafected. They are offering a gigantic payout to rusted trucks...
Cassie Cecil

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

Judged:

Thanks...my husband is going to go tommorrow and see what we can find out...we looked underneath it and there is quiet a bit of rust so who knows at this moment lol... hopefully we can get it figured out this week.. i think that it is AWESOME that toyota can fix their mistakes..
Tell-It wrote:
<quoted text>
Im not sure. Check with your local dealer. i dont see why the 2wd versions would be unnafected. They are offering a gigantic payout to rusted trucks...

Trumbull CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

Judged:

They are staffing for damage control and putting a great effort at stop loss. They will replace without fail. Better yet, they will proudly place you in a new ride in an effort to provide another “best month ever” to their shareholders. Don’t be swindled, buy a Chevrolet.
DJS

Laconia, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Tell-It wrote:

How about the doors on the 91 Corolla no matter what you do you can't stop the rust.
Truckin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

DJS wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the doors on the 91 Corolla no matter what you do you can't stop the rust.
Toyotas are the only 1991 models left on the road. All other domestic offerings are pretty much used up mechanically and have been relegated to the scrap bin. The fact that a 17 year old car is rusty is a testament to its great powertrain and design. My 1992 Lumina had rusted out rocker panels, wheel arches, and trunk lid....and that was over 7 years ago.
todd

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Judged:

what about 2001 tacomas that were bought in late 2000/ therefore truck was built in 2000. from my trucks vin i can tell it was built in the fremont cal. plant. when i got under the truck i found a horrendous amount of rust and ROT!!!

will toyota give a "grace period" for the 2001 trucks that may have been made with 2000 frames?

the woods, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Judged:

Truckin wrote:
<quoted text>
Toyotas are the only 1991 models left on the road. All other domestic offerings are pretty much used up mechanically and have been relegated to the scrap bin. The fact that a 17 year old car is rusty is a testament to its great powertrain and design. My 1992 Lumina had rusted out rocker panels, wheel arches, and trunk lid....and that was over 7 years ago.
There are alot more domestic cars that age on the road than toyotas. In fact, the average age of a domestic vehicle before it dies is 17.4 years. Ive had plenty of these vehicles and still know alot of people with late 80's domestics still on the road and little or no rust.

Trumbull CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

I had a world of 80’s vehicles up until this past winter. They were finally sold to one man who bought every last one of them, including an 82 Buick Electra, 86 GMC Jimmy 4*4, 86 Chevrolet Cavalier, 85 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, and an 89 Buick Parke Avenue, two of which were the old “A” bodies.
Truckin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Judged:

Tell-It wrote:
<quoted text>
There are alot more domestic cars that age on the road than toyotas. In fact, the average age of a domestic vehicle before it dies is 17.4 years. Ive had plenty of these vehicles and still know alot of people with late 80's domestics still on the road and little or no rust.
You will be challenged to find many 80's even 90's cars here on the roads in the southeast. I know the rust belt is depressed and good paying jobs are hard to find, so maybe people are hanging on to the cars. I can't remember the last time I saw a first gen Lumina/Grand Prix/Cutlass and those things sold by the millions.

Trumbull CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Truckin wrote:
<quoted text>
You will be challenged to find many 80's even 90's cars here on the roads in the southeast. I know the rust belt is depressed and good paying jobs are hard to find, so maybe people are hanging on to the cars. I can't remember the last time I saw a first gen Lumina/Grand Prix/Cutlass and those things sold by the millions.
Come down to the deep south, you will see many of them.

the woods, Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

Truckin wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in florida last summer and saw tons of spotless late 80's buicks, cadillacs, pontiacs, etc.
paul

Proctorville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2008

Judged:

I have a 1994 toyot apick up with frame rot will this reall cover this truck as well

Trumbull CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2008

rust
Margaret

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2008

paul wrote:
I have a 1994 toyot apick up with frame rot will this reall cover this truck as well
I am in the process of selling my 1995 toyota pick up. The only response a potential buyer had was to take it to a dealer and check for frame rot. If it is not part of a recall, he'll consider buying if it is safe. I may be stuck with a pile of rust.
CROWN VICTORIA

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Judged:

Toyota rusting forward

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of201
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Autos Forum right now

Search the Autos Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Toyota Loses Two Nuts in Latest Recall 6 hr Devilsadvocate_ 9
Oriental Toyota Gets Put On Probation 21 hr Mexican Sex Slave 21
Off the Hook: NHTSA closes probe on Toyota Taco... (Sep '08) Thu CharleneBlake 62
Obama sends condolences to South Korea Apr 17 Rix 1
Westboro Baptist Church to picket Indianapolis 500 Apr 17 Harry Balzonja 10
pathfinder problems (Jan '06) Apr 16 scott 392
Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Apr 16 iluvmyVolt 8,516
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
•••
•••