What is it like working for Dell? (Round Rock TX) Help!

Posted in the Austin Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Jun 17, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Julester

Oak Park, MI

#1 Jan 15, 2007
Hello everyone... guess you might call me a Yankee - I'm a Michigander and have been going through an interview process with Dell (RR area) for a marketing communications position... I've read previous posts that Dell is stressful to work for in the sales area but not sure how that would transcend for the PR/marketing area. Questions:

-What are the +'s/-'s for working at Dell?
- What is the work-life balance like there?(I have 2 kids under the age of 5... are they open to flex time or the ocassional work-from-home, etc.?)
- Any comments on benefits, vacation etc.?
- Overall culture?
- Future outlook of the company?

I realize I'm asking a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated - this is such a great resource! Thanks to all and I'll stay in touch if the interviews progress! This would be an absolutely HUGE decision for me and my family so
I'm trying to find all the info I can. If there is another resource availabe, please let me know. Thanks so much in advance. Best - Julie
Thompson

Harlingen, TX

#2 Feb 20, 2007
I am also in the same situation.I lived in Detroit,MI and moving to Round Rock as i got an offer for a java developer position with Dell.I have no idea how the work culture is going to be,I will post after i join there on 26th Feb.I too worried about my 2 kids under age 5.
Contact me at tknesaraj@hotmail.com

“All fluff...no filler”

Since: Jan 07

Austin, TexASS

#3 Feb 20, 2007
You both need to be aware of the traffic issues! To sum it up, it SUCKS! The new toll roads have helped a bit, but be aware of the traffic here!
jpj

United States

#4 Mar 7, 2007
I have a number of friends at Dell. They work their employees to death and as far as I know, do not allow flex time. One friend has young childre at home and leaves home at six am and returns at or after 6:30 every day. In addition to that, he must get up at 2:00 AM every morning to check the foreign markets. He came from Wall Street four years ago for a much lower salary, but recieved a bunch of stock options, which are hardly worth anything. They are also corporatly stingy. I work for a non-profit and they asked us to put together a power point and do reseach for them on computer usage stats for what turned out to be a history making event receiving world wide news coverage. We spent hours on that and met with them twice and all they could offer us was $1 per computer sale on their website but only if our non-prfit was chosen. A complete waste of time.
Julester

Oak Park, MI

#5 Mar 30, 2007
Thank you for the comments - I emailed you directly. Look forward to your reply - and thanks everyone for the insight.
Julester

Oak Park, MI

#6 Mar 30, 2007
I will be asking questions around the work/life balance, etc. Thanks much! My job won't focus on global aspects, so am not so worried about the time change-work/life balance issue aspect. I am worried about the ability to say, leave work early for kids' events, sick child, want to work from home ocassionally - things like that. That saddens me about the corporate stingy part... that's awful. I am flying out this Sunday for interviews and will return home Tuesday! We'll see.
Julester

Oak Park, MI

#7 Mar 30, 2007
THanks for the feedback. Not trying to be snarky, but what does "traffic sucks" mean?(in minutes, etc.). I am from the Detroit area, heart of traffic hell. I drove an hour to Ford each way, and now am driving anywhere from 25-45 minutes each way, each day. The Ford drive was nothing but highways (stop/start) and my drive now is less but is all local streets/city roads.

Could someone give me an "average" commute time for an Austin resident? What is the norm? What is too much? I tell my commute to folks and they cringe, but here, a 30 minute drive to anywhere (shopping, etc.) is the accepted norm.

Also, since I'm going there this weekend, what community would have the best school system, yet be equa-distant between city of Austin and Round Rock? My husband would probably be getting a job near Austin, me in Round Rock - and wondered where the best place would be to live given the traffic patterns.

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR ALL THE GREAT INSIGHT!! You are great and it is very appreciated.
Mark

Austin, TX

#8 Apr 2, 2007
Well, my drive time is about 30-40 minutes for a 16 mile commute from 183 & 620 to downtown Austin. Your time will vary based on your spot in town and which direction you need to go. When you are looking, east-west based commutes tend to be worse than north-south commutes because there aren't any real highways that go east and west through town, though there are some larger roads with stop lights that do.

Community for school district is somewhat subjective but from what I've been told, Eanes ISD is best, Round Rock, Leander and Pflugerville ISDs are above average. As a warning school districts don't necessarily equate to town boundaries.
Shawn

United States

#9 Apr 3, 2007
People cry about the traffic around here and it cracks me up. I'm sure it's the people wjho have always lived here and in the last 10 years with the population increase the traffic has become worse. However compared to any major city, it is not that bad. The new toll roads have helped a lot. Being from a bigger city you shouldnt have too much of a problem with traffic

“All fluff...no filler”

Since: Jan 07

Austin, TexASS

#10 Apr 3, 2007
Shawn wrote:
People cry about the traffic around here and it cracks me up. I'm sure it's the people wjho have always lived here and in the last 10 years with the population increase the traffic has become worse. However compared to any major city, it is not that bad. The new toll roads have helped a lot. Being from a bigger city you shouldnt have too much of a problem with traffic
Actually I moved from the Los Angeles area....and I have to say I dont think the improvements to the infrastructure here is on a pace anywhere near it needs to be to match the population growth.
AustinOriginal

New York, NY

#11 Apr 4, 2007
I have worked w/ Dell as a vendor over the years and have had friends work there. You could not pay me enough to work for them. They are infamous for treating vendors poorly - not paying until 90-120 days out. Also, there is very little job security at Dell - they don't hesitate to lay people off - esp. if those people are about to come into their stock options.

The working hours are long, the environment extremely stressful and the organization has a machiavellian take on people management. Their tech folks are definitely bright, but they don't always hire the best in marketing/PR/communications, so don't expect to work with geniuses.
AustinOriginal

New York, NY

#12 Apr 4, 2007
Georgetown has a top 10 ranked school district, as well. Eanes is a wealthy district, but for upper grades, there are problems...
Mark wrote:
Well, my drive time is about 30-40 minutes for a 16 mile commute from 183 & 620 to downtown Austin. Your time will vary based on your spot in town and which direction you need to go. When you are looking, east-west based commutes tend to be worse than north-south commutes because there aren't any real highways that go east and west through town, though there are some larger roads with stop lights that do.

Community for school district is somewhat subjective but from what I've been told, Eanes ISD is best, Round Rock, Leander and Pflugerville ISDs are above average. As a warning school districts don't necessarily equate to town boundaries.
Austin Chick

Austin, TX

#13 May 31, 2007
If you want the opinion of a longtime resident (Central Tx Born & bred)... Round Rock ISD has very good schools, if I were you, I'd look around Red Bud/Hwy 79 or around AW Grimes & Gattis School. It's a great area, reasonable to rent or buy and your commute would be insanely short.

I have friends who work for Dell who love it. I guess it's like everything, it's all in your perspective. I love living in Austin, I don't mind the traffic and I try to humor those who haven't quite been here long enough to appreciate Texas.

Good luck, hon. I hope it all works out for ya.

Since: May 07

Austin, Tx

#14 May 31, 2007
I'm not sure why it says I'm in Florida...hmmm...
RR in Round Rock

Round Rock, TX

#15 May 31, 2007
We live in Round Rock, almost exactly where one person suggested, Gattis School and A.W. Grimes. This neighborhood is fairly decent, but there are a good number of rental homes around us, so the climate is constantly changing. The commute time is about 10-15 minutes, on foot! The driving distance is less than 1 mile.
As far as the schools are concerned, I do not agree Round Rock has excellent schools. Our experience with them was so terrible, we now home school our 8 year old son. We are fortunate to be in a position where this is possible.
My husband works for Dell. One thing you need to understand about Dell is a good part of their staff consists of contract employees. Needless to say they are quite disposable. Hubby is a regular/non-contract employee. He works a great number of hours and the company goes through structure reorganizations quite often. Just about every time this happens, people worry about their job security. But being a regular employee sure beats being a contractor without benefits and only working 8 months a year. The company does not usually give too generously, but nobody can expect a large downward trickle from any company when the stock is down.
I grew up in Colorado, so the one big selling point to me about this area was the no snow thing. Sure we get "snow" here, but when you have seen real snow, you can't help but snicker just a bit at what shuts the city down here. I don't miss snow at all.
Best of luck to you.
-R
Round Rock, Texas
A Dell girl

Boise, ID

#16 Jun 7, 2007
I have worked at Dell for the past 3 years. I'm a single mother of a 9 year old. I also came from Los Angeles to round rock and don't personally find the traffic to be much of a problem at all. In L.A. I drove 45 minutes to go 10 miles!

As for work/life balance, I've had to go get my son when he was sick at school, stay home with him at times and work my schedule around him. Dell has always been flexible.

This past year I had a major illness which ended with me having surgery and had to take a leave of absence, of which only part was approved. Legally they could have fired me for the unapproved portion. My manager not only worked with me, but e-mailed and phoned me to make sure I was doing well. My manager's manager also went out of his way to make sure I was doing well. Not only that, they gave me a 6% raise about 2 weeks before I came back from LOA!

In terms of work/life balance as a regular employee I could not be happier with Dell. I am extremely grateful that Dell worked with me the way they have done and am proud to work for the company.
tommy

Singapore, Singapore

#17 Jun 22, 2007
Julester wrote:
Hello everyone... guess you might call me a Yankee - I'm a Michigander and have been going through an interview process with Dell (RR area) for a marketing communications position... I've read previous posts that Dell is stressful to work for in the sales area but not sure how that would transcend for the PR/marketing area. Questions:
-What are the +'s/-'s for working at Dell?
- What is the work-life balance like there?(I have 2 kids under the age of 5... are they open to flex time or the ocassional work-from-home, etc.?)
- Any comments on benefits, vacation etc.?
- Overall culture?
- Future outlook of the company?
I realize I'm asking a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated - this is such a great resource! Thanks to all and I'll stay in touch if the interviews progress! This would be an absolutely HUGE decision for me and my family so
I'm trying to find all the info I can. If there is another resource availabe, please let me know. Thanks so much in advance. Best - Julie
Hi, so have you joined Dell? What's your opinion thus far? Kindly let me know as I am also contemplating on joining Dell.
kiran

Houston, TX

#18 Mar 30, 2008
i got an offer from DLL,Iam little bit hesitate to join in this organization behalf of work culture.Is there anybody can give plus and minus of DELL??
Samsung Lover

United States

#19 Mar 30, 2008
Dell sucks balls...i heard they rip you off and i hate the freaking little lights on the ground for yields i live of off greenlawn and i HATE STOPPING sometimes i just wish i could run some people over and i mean my husband works for SAMSUNG!! makes way more money than he was offered at dell....dell sucks....period.

“GO WILDCATS!!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#20 Mar 30, 2008
DELL sucks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Austin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 5 min Defiant1 22,337
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 1 hr why 529
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr That Fart Guy 17,911
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of the Gene... (Oct '10) 8 hr That Fart Guy 337
K2, Spice, Fake Weed (Nov '10) Sat acasatx 43
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Sat That Fart Guy 770
Tommy James Johnson Aug 30 Shanna 1
•••
•••
Austin Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Austin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••