Change for EPA so clean water flows ...

Change for EPA so clean water flows in Texas

Posted in the Austin Forum

amandacares

Rockport, TX

#1 Jan 10, 2013
There is a reason Congress has adopted the commission model. While a bipartisan consensus exists for regulating some parts of the economy by independent agencies that harness specialized expertise, there remains an underlying partisan disagreement about the means and ends of policy. The commission model recognizes and accommodates these disagreements, with a process that emphasizes public debate and is more transparent and accountable.

The EPA’s single-administrator model, on the other hand, is based on what amounts to a conceit that some policy matters are beyond politics or meaningful controversy. This is the apotheosis of the Progressive Era ideal, or rather myth, of enlightened administration by neutral experts. It is also a tactic to deny that what are deeply political administrative decisions are in fact political. The single-administrator model makes it much easier for an ideologue like Ms. Jackson to use the regulatory process as a steamroller to achieve policy goals.
A bipartisan commission would change this dynamic. The president would, as is customary, still appoint a majority of the commissioners, including the chairman. But the minority would have their dissent on policy matters on the record.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Austin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texas hit man gets second stay of execution 12 hr Ben Ghazi IV 1
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... 23 hr Skippy 12
Hottttt chick at gas station Aug 26 JULIO 2
hippie hollow Aug 24 Delberto 6
News Has Central Texas barbecue forgotten its Africa... Aug 23 Scotty Steiner 7
Trump's outbursts prove he's unstable Aug 23 YKCUTNEK 5
Recap of the Austin Summer Spike-Off! 2016 Pres... Aug 15 Yobored_G2 1

Austin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance