Snake bit me Down Undargh

Feb 15, 2012 Full story: NEWS.com.au 16

A BRIT was bitten "down under" by a killer snake while answering a call of nature in the Aussie bush.

Full Story
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#1 Feb 20, 2012
thats whats called being caught with your pants down.

“Changing it up since 2008.”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 20, 2012
Ouch, i'm guessing that would of hurt.

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#3 Feb 21, 2012
Good for the snake, I mean who the hell would want some Scotchman shitting in your yard!
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#4 Feb 27, 2012
Yank Oliver wrote:
Good for the snake, I mean who the hell would want some Scotchman shitting in your yard!
im a scottish so appoligise.

Since: Sep 09

o------------><-----------o

#5 Feb 27, 2012
I live in the US and saw this thread. I was bitten by a copperhead once. Wellll, not exactly bitten ..... more of a nip. Want to hear about it?

Awesome, I knew everybody would. Here it is .....

#6 Feb 27, 2012
..... Jenny And The Agkistrodon Contortrix ..... or Sometimes Instantaneous Ideas Are Not The Best Ideas .....

Me, J (my guy), K (my best friend, you on the Australian forum know her as DayStar), and M (K’s guy) went camping. Not in a camping area but deep forest off-trail camping. We backpacked way into the forest and found a secluded spot near a stream. It was really beautiful. The weather was hot but that just meant nice warm nights. This is also going to be one of my best stories to tell my ‘someday’ kids. Not about the skinny-dipping ..... nope ..... can’t tell them about that ..... but about the snake incident I mentioned above. Well, two snakes really, but one was just in passing but I’ll tell about it anyway.

At one location we come to a stream. It was about chest deep so rather than crossing it and then having to hike in wet clothes we took our clothes off and stuffed them in our backpacks and balancing our packs on top our heads we waded in. We got about a quarter of the way across when ‘K’ said there was a snake. While we were crossing from one side, by coincidence a snake had decided to cross the stream from the other side at the same time. I knew it wasn’t a copperhead because it had its head flat down on the water.

(.....>from Jenny’s book of odd and mostly useless trivia<..... a copperhead will swim with its head raised up off the water)

Well, back to the story. When it got out into the sunlight I saw it was a Northern Water Snake. Not poison. It was mellowly swimming right toward me, got to within three feet, made a slow curve and swam around me, and into some bushes hanging over the bank behind us.

But that’s not the story I want to tell. This is. On the third day we were at camp and the guys were having fun playing Daniel Boone. You know, doing things like chopping big long pieces of wood into shorter ones. Me and ‘K’ have an easier way. We just each grab an end of a big piece, carry it over, and lay it across the campfire and let it burn into two pieces then lay each of those into the fire to burn in half again. Much much easier ..... but who are we to ruin the guys’ fun. While they were doing their Daniel Boone thing ‘K’ and I decided to go exploring. So we took off into the woods. We wanted to see what was farther into the forest, we climbed around on boulders, and generally investigated everything we saw.

(continued)

#7 Feb 27, 2012
And in the woods we come across a copperhead. It was lying in the leaves relaxed and enjoying the day. So we did what any proper, well-bred, young ladies would do upon finding a poison snake ..... we decided to catch and play with it.

(.....>from Jenny’s book of odd and mostly useless trivia<..... although fun, catching a large poisonous snake can sometimes not be a bright thing to do.)

I got a stick about three feet long off the ground ..... notice the length of the stick ..... that’s important to my story ..... and put the end across the back of the snake’s head to pin it. I squatted down and just as my fingertips touched the back of the neck ..... snap ..... there it was, an ‘uh-oh’ moment ..... weelllllll ..... it actually was an ‘Oh Heck’ moment. My stick broke. It was now less than five inches long. See? I told you the length was important to my story. The snake, no longer pinned, shot forward several inches with my fingers still barely touching it. Knowing I couldn’t possible get away in time I grabbed him but was only able to get a hold on him about two inches in back of its head. The snake, having its zen totally disrupted, decided in turn to disrupt my zen. Have you ever seen how those little boogers can twist around and bend? Well, if you haven’t, they can. It twisted around, looked up at me with a ‘now it’s my turn’ look, flipped it’s fangs down like little switchblade knives, and the side of its open mouth began repeatedly brushing the back of my fingers. My reaction in turn was to come to the realization that this was not good.

Then it happened. A fang poked my fingertip. If you’re keeping count, this now made two ‘uh-oh’ moments in just a remarkably short time period. K, standing and watching her 111 pound beloved life-long best friend about to be eaten by a two pound snake, put her foot on its head and pinned it down. But now neither of us could get away without one being bitten if she raised her foot. Did you know pit-vipers can strike at two-thirds their body length? They can. So I caught it behind its head and picked it up. Passing it to ’K’ I began milking my finger. That’s squeezing on both sides of the poke mark until I got a little drop or two of blood out & hopefully the venom. I don’t know how well that really works but it seemed the thing to do at the moment. It wasn’t hurting so I didn’t think I was in trouble. I’ve had people who were bitten tell me poison snake bites hurt like heck if much poison is injected. My fingertip felt funky for a few minutes but that was it (So here I am typing away to you with still all ten fingers and all the R, T, G, V, and Bs are in the words of this). We played with the snake and turned it loose, then after some more exploring we went back to camp.

K couldn’t wait to tell the guys about my snake bite. The guys then had to be all Daniel Boone-like and to my protest feel my forehead and things like that. Later the thought passed through my mind that I should have told them I was feeling sick. It could have been cool having two good-looking guys being my abject slaves for a day. Them waiting on me hand and foot and subject to my every whim. But me ..... being the good girl that I am ..... didn’t think of it at the time.

So that’s my snake story.

#8 Feb 27, 2012
It's taking the first part of my story a while to load. The servers must be slow right now.
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#9 Mar 4, 2012
isnt there a law on this.

“With Attitude”

Since: Jan 12

#10 Mar 4, 2012
damien auksorius wrote:
isnt there a law on this.
A law against a snake biting a person? It would be a permissible defense in court for the snake to bring up it can't read & wherefore didn't know it was against the law.
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#11 Mar 19, 2012
DayStar_ wrote:
<quoted text>
A law against a snake biting a person? It would be a permissible defense in court for the snake to bring up it can't read & wherefore didn't know it was against the law.
read the book of genesis and get some knowledge.

“With Attitude”

#12 Mar 20, 2012
damien auksorius wrote:
<quoted text>read the book of genesis and get some knowledge.
That was the devil impersonating a snake. It wasn't a real one. Get some knowledge. At least the devil didn't chose being a puppy. I would hate seeing you guys going around with a hoe and chopping puppies to death.
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#13 Mar 28, 2012
DayStar_ wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the devil impersonating a snake. It wasn't a real one. Get some knowledge. At least the devil didn't chose being a puppy. I would hate seeing you guys going around with a hoe and chopping puppies to death.
please read the bible a bit more to acquire some biblical knowledge.and humility.

#14 Mar 28, 2012
damien auksorius wrote:
<quoted text>please read the bible a bit more to acquire some biblical knowledge.and humility.
Snakes still can't read.

Humility. Why would I want to do that? Meek women never make history.

“With Attitude”

#15 Mar 28, 2012
damien auksorius wrote:
<quoted text>please read the bible a bit more to acquire some biblical knowledge.and humility.
The above post is by me but under Jen's name. It's because I'm spending the night at her house & I forgot to log her out & log me in.
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#17 Apr 10, 2012
DayStar_ wrote:
<quoted text>
The above post is by me but under Jen's name. It's because I'm spending the night at her house & I forgot to log her out & log me in.
ask jen if i can come over too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tasmania, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Agency: Rescue of Antarctica crew stalls (Jan '14) Dec 14 2 Dollar Tree 10
What's for dinner? Australia Dec 13 Rev Tony Abbott 1
More ice arrests expected in Operation Courier Dec 8 oscar 1
'Family' matters when predicting ecosystems' re... Dec 6 SpaceBlues 1
Brains, beauty, Kayla has it all Nov 27 mildly_insane 1
Whisky down under: Australian distilleries offe... Nov 23 Foo 1
Group floats plan for Tassie refugee hub Nov '14 Digger 2
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:01 pm PST