Bringing internet snooping to book

Posted in the Sydney, Australia Forum

Since: Jul 13

Australia

#1 Jul 4, 2013
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/occams-corn...

abney and associates hong kong news,bringing internet snooping to book

Revelations that GCHQ and the NSA have tapped into the internet on a huge scale have rightly provoked outrage. But intelligence analysts aren't the only ones likely to be tempted by the captured information.

The internet has transformed our relationship with information and with the world in ways that continue to surprise us. That may appear to many readers, especially those below the age of thirty, as a statement of the blindingly obvious but I think it can bear repetition.

The latest evidence for the transformative power of the web comes from the explosion of outrage detonated by Edward Snowden's revelations that the NSA and GCHQ have been tapping into online activity on an unprecedented scale and with little apparent legal, congressional or parliamentary oversight.

The extent of the snooping, which has targeted friend and foe alike, has upset many. Our allies in Germany and France are furious; Noam Chomsky is alarmed; the founding fathers of the "land of the free" are reportedly spinning in their graves; and John Kampfner has sounded a grim warning about the further erosion of the West's moral authority over more draconian regimes. Even senior staff at MI5 think that GCHQ may have gone too far.

Among the general population the reaction appears more mixed. There is disquiet certainly but a significant fraction of the population - almost half in the US has shrugged off the snooping. Perhaps primed by powerful fictional accounts of electronic espionage in TV shows such as Spooks or Homeland or the Bourne films, many of us have long presumed that we are under surveillance and so were unsurprised at the news. I suspect also that a generation happy to splurge the minutiae of their lives over Facebook and Twitter is less likely to be concerned that personal information is up for grabs by the government.

Since: Jun 13

Sydney, Australia

#2 Jul 4, 2013
It is just excellent to know this information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sydney, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why should Australians fear from Muslims? (Dec '07) 19 min dreamer78 46,060
Boycott Halal movement in Australia set to esca... 11 hr dreamer78 8
Can anyone recommend a good sydney based moving... 19 hr golly 2
Adult dating Sydney (Dec '13) Sun Mattemckema 38
Australian man spends Christmas Day stuck on je... Sat Paul in Oz 5
Is ISLAM really just SATANISM Fri Infidel 2
first gay experience in sydney Dec 26 Arqie 2
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:37 am PST