Are there Walmart stores in Australia ?
John Mowbray

Albuquerque, NM

#89 Jan 6, 2013
After a month travelling around the US..8 southern states so a lot of issues surface. This is really an amazing country but hopelessly geocentric. There have been three issues on TV...the shooting of kids, the storm and the fiscal cliff. Have not heard any foreign news at all. So the average American has a very unsophisticated view of the world.
We needed a room heater one night and went to Walmart. Just a bigger Kmart and full off lower priced goods which is great for the poorer folk. The checkouts were manned by pretty slow moving staff and why should they hurry for the pittance they earn. Like the waitress who had spent time in Brisbane...her wage of $2.75 per hour is gone in taxes she claimed and relied on tips...what do you do...tip well for the poor kid trying to eke out her allowance through college.
So as good as Walmart is for the Americans lets not welcome an outfit that has built its success on the backs of the lowly paid. There is a culture in this country that believes anyone can get ahead by hard work. Well that is an impossibility for everyone to achieve but the reality is that so many think they can. Sure as hell they won't get there by working their guts out in Walmart....but the company does. Keep them out of Australia.
Malcolm

Heathmont, Australia

#90 Jan 14, 2013
U people wanting wallmart in Australia must have sh*t for brains!!! Do u live here ? I have seen many docos and forums on the companies policies , working conditions around the world and complete lack of regard for human rights! A company is in business to make money , yes, but you still need to treat people with with respect , no matter what position they hold or what there race or gender. Wallmart family need to change there priorities , which will won't happen until there descendants take reign, grow some brains , realise people need to feel appreciated and c the massive amount of good just a portion of there wealth could do in 3rd world countries. When u do good just, u feel good. When u treat people with respect , u r respected in return . It's really not that hard. Imagine how far a multi billion dollar family cold take the biggest company in the world if they were liked!!
Melissa

Yarraville, Australia

#92 Jan 26, 2013
I hope Aussies fight tooth and nail to ensure that Wal Mart NEVER opens in Australia. PLEASE my fellow Aussies don't EVER let this happen. I've just watched a program on Wal Mart and the devastation that follows once their store opens in a town or area. The value of other businesses falls, long standing businesses die, Wal Mart employees are working for less than $10 an hour, they're not allowed to be in a union, they underemploy, they play on the fact that people need to survive and so they work with minimal staff, telling staff there are staff shortages but undereploying so as they have minimal employment costs, working to the clock with unreasonable expectations of meeting targets. It's appalling that governments allow them to operate in this manner. The same thing happens wherever they go, in every country - build - send competitors to the wall - then employ local staff and underpay them - make HUGE profits at the expense of human beings. Forewarned is forearmed it's hard to go back once it's in place. Buy local from local sources and businesses, refuse to buy cheap poorly made Chinese goods. HEED THE WARNINGS FOLKS!!
John

Brisbane, Australia

#93 Feb 17, 2013
taylor52 wrote:
I disagree lilhankjjfan, maybe its different at the store your at but I to work at Walmart and have put in 9 years and I like to think that both stores I've worked at has a family atmosphere. I started at 5.25 an hour while I was in college and stayed with them after I was done making much more then my profession. I'm not saying their perfect but as long as you do your job and understand their end goal IS to make money. I hope they do make it there. I have family who live in Australia and love hitting up Walmart when their in the states. Their cost of living is much more then ours..
You did NOT go to college.(They're)(then or than?)
Samantha

Phoenix, AZ

#94 Feb 23, 2013
Jimmy In Sydney wrote:
Americans have a love/hate relationship with Walmart. Where else can you go at 2:00 in the morning to buy groceries, a new out fit, a set of tires for your car and a printer cartridge at an outrageously low price?
The downside is they are pretty crappy to work for. They are consistently ranked at or near the bottom in surveys of good places to work.
Since moving to Australia last year (a country that completely shuts down and rolls up the city sidewalks at 5:00pm) I do miss Walmart and would LOVE to see them come here. Big W and Woolworths take advantage of the Australian people by price gouging and most of them don't even know it.
It would be nice if Walmart would at least SHIP to Australia, as I have tried, but their website only allows entry for a U.S. address.
If you really want to have something shipped from Walmart, there is a workaround. You can have a mail drop located in the states, have Walmart ship to there, and then have the mail drop forward your mail to you in Australia. A bit of a pain I know, but you would still have access...
aussieman

Australia

#95 Mar 4, 2013
lilhankjjfan wrote:
I hope Walmart never gets to open in Australia, I work for Walmart, This company is only interested in making billions, They treat associates like slaves, I work overnight recieving a huge $8.35 per Hr, I can imagine an Aussie working for that, But Walmat know if you leave they have 20 more applications to fill your position, And the high unemployment rate here in USA makes it hard not to work for these stores.
Wouldn't happen, we have minimum wages at $14, and workers rights ect that cost. That's y Costco here isn't really that cheap, sometimes its even mote expensive.(Costco is the only thing close to wallmsrt I can think of)
Aaron

Canberra, Australia

#96 Mar 8, 2013
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
Your religious intolerance is not appreciated it has nothing to do with the subject matter and please all note not all Australians feel this way. We are better than this guys common!
Annie is lying to herself as we are not better than this we still hate muslims and lebanese
Suzy el Helou

Lurnea, Australia

#97 Mar 11, 2013
I don't really know but I think no
Lawson

Lubbock, TX

#98 Mar 28, 2013
lilhankjjfan wrote:
I hope Walmart never gets to open in Australia, I work for Walmart, This company is only interested in making billions, They treat associates like slaves, I work overnight recieving a huge $8.35 per Hr, I can imagine an Aussie working for that, But Walmat know if you leave they have 20 more applications to fill your position, And the high unemployment rate here in USA makes it hard not to work for these stores.
You are right... In Australia the min. wage is $19/hr. My friend there who just moved from Dallas said yes there is some inflation because of it ($6/gal gas) but the Aussie realize that you grow economies by moving money around so they are booming why you barely make rent. I wonder what K-Mart in Australia pays???? Chip away friends and together with free speech and the vote we can make a better world.
ash12

Johannesburg, South Africa

#99 Apr 2, 2013
i am in a process of re-locating to Austrilia. is the living costs equal to usa. also i work for massmart subsidiary to walmart in S.A. its not that bad out here, but education for my kids is becoming a problem with a brighter future not looking that bright. comments anyone.
Hussain

Canada

#100 Apr 2, 2013
I also work Walmart in Canada and I also lived in Australia I get now 11.80 dollars per hour for overnight job. I compare it this pay rate is equal to australian 20 dollars per hour because Australia is very expensive and high cost of living here in canada rent,groceries transportation everything is cheaper than disgusting expensive Australia Australia Ida racist country and confused and unstable government always changing immigration rules they are not sympathetic with students who spend lot of dollars to study and invest they life earning to get permanent residency but they are give permanent residence to those who are having false claims of refugee and coming to Australia in boats and ships to their seas and border and Australian and welcoming them and giving them permanent residency easily they don't have justic only this country have good thing is good weather they got nothing
Wedgerw

Ferntree Gully, Australia

#101 Apr 6, 2013
Michael wrote:
That is very funny to hear "Aussie" Have you been to America and sen Walmart??
K Mart doesn't even come close to Walmart...
Hmmm after living in the US I disagree. Kmart is VERY similar to Walmart
Django

United States

#102 May 16, 2013
Are there places like walmart in melbourne australia where you can work for minium wage without a highschool diploma and if you work hard for years get promoted to store manager bc my dream is to move to melbourne australia :)
bob

Keysborough, Australia

#103 May 20, 2013
true
bob

Keysborough, Australia

#104 May 20, 2013
theres a walmart in springvale, CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!
bob

Keysborough, Australia

#105 May 20, 2013
cathy is fat
Mark

Bay City, MI

#106 May 25, 2013
I have never been to Australia, so I can only comment on what I read and this is from your own paper:

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/rising-price...

Seems to me that your high wag has caused a highr cost of living. Raising the minimum wage is not the answer. With it comes higher prices.
rosy

Brampton, Canada

#107 May 29, 2013
Baron44 wrote:
<quoted text>If you are not a Muslim, migrate to Australia
1 Jul 2011 – Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week. Generally, employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.
I thought Australians were open minded people. I guess I should think again before visiting...
Darren

Adelaide, Australia

#108 Jul 1, 2013
Use a site like ComGateway and you can shop at Walmart online from Australia, your items are shipped to a US address then shipped to your Australian address.There are a few websites like this so have a look around to find one that suits you.
Emily

Seaford, Australia

#109 Jul 5, 2013
Baron44 wrote:
<quoted text>If you are not a Muslim, migrate to Australia
1 Jul 2011 – Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week. Generally, employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.
Aboriginals: Baron migrate to Australia unless your "white"
Your opinion isn't needed unless you respect other religions or race and stop with that pointless racism of yours, it proves nothing but Childish Behaviour.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sydney, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
has anyone seen this crazy birthday celebration... 12 hr jjr201932 1
Sydney Music Thread (Dec '14) Fri Musikologist 4
S h i t Fri Hjk 3
time for a play Fri elizabeth 1
Let's have fun Thu Clover Moore 3
Bankstown/Lidcombe (Auschwitz) Public Hospital Thu Clover Moore 1
My view on Lebanese people in Australia (Aug '11) Aug 24 Nomad 167
More from around the web