Casper, WY

#1 Apr 30, 2010
Are there?
Aussie

Narre Warren, Australia

#2 Apr 30, 2010
Roo wrote:
Are there?
There are no Walmart stores in Australia but we do have K-Mart which is very much the same, a discount store for various products.
Michael

Australia

#3 Jul 2, 2011
That is very funny to hear "Aussie" Have you been to America and sen Walmart??
K Mart doesn't even come close to Walmart...

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Jul 4, 2011
Michael wrote:
That is very funny to hear "Aussie" Have you been to America and sen Walmart??
K Mart doesn't even come close to Walmart...
Same as a BIW W and Woolworths combined in one store is a Walmart.
Depending on the population of the town how large the Walmart is.
What we do not have here in any of our larger cities Macy's of the New York, Bijenkorf of Amsterdam, Harrods of London.

Location hidden

#5 Jul 4, 2011
BIW W = BIG W

Location hidden

#9 Jul 9, 2011
taylor52 wrote:
I disagree lilhankjjfan, maybe its different at the store your at but I to work at Walmart and have put in 9 years and I like to think that both stores I've worked at has a family atmosphere. I started at 5.25 an hour while I was in college and stayed with them after I was done making much more then my profession. I'm not saying their perfect but as long as you do your job and understand their end goal IS to make money. I hope they do make it there. I have family who live in Australia and love hitting up Walmart when their in the states. Their cost of living is much more then ours..
Don't be so righteous just mention what your hourly rate is now with Wallmart, where you as in what city.
It is every capitalist duty to make money, but not to the detrimental as they did in from the early 1200's until the mid 1900's
Many in the USA capitalist still take advantage The USA capitalist still has the powers that the capitalist in other countries had during the industrial era of the late 1800's and the early 1900's
Low wages and as few benefits as possible.
For a nation as rich as the USA you still have not introduce a medical system that the lessor advantage people can have for free, as I understand it those that are disadvantage have to be embarrassed by having to use food vouchers to be able to survive, when most other western country make their social security payments in Cash, or direct directs into their bank accounts.
taylor52 >>> May I ask you where did you get your information from >>> Their cost of living is much more then ours..
In all my visits to the USA that is about 6 in total, If you take cities of equal population the cost of living is near enough on par.Petrol ( gas for Americans) Fast food are slightly cheaper than the major cities in Australia.
Rent is about the same.
Oooops I nearly forgot the American working whore is much cheaper, I was also told she is also very bad in sex, you can not compare it.
It has to be equal value for equal money.
This is how many Minutes an Australian have to work on a minimum wages in Australia comparing with the rest of the world before he can afford to buy 1 Big Mac
1. Tokyo, Japan - 10 minutes
2. Los Angeles, United States - 11 minutes
3. Chicago, Illinois, United States - 12 minutes
4. Miami, Florida, United States - 12 minutes
5. New York City, New York, United States - 13 minutes
6. Auckland, New Zealand - 14 minutes
7. Sydney, Australia - 14 minutes
8. Toronto, Ontario, Canada - 14 minutes
9. Zürich, Switzerland - 15 minutes
10. Dublin, Ireland - 15 minutes
----------
Ten slowest earned (July 2009)

1. Nairobi, Kenya - 158 minutes
2. Jakarta, Indonesia - 136 minutes
3. Mexico City, Mexico - 129 minutes
4. Caracas, Venezuela - 126 minutes
5. Manila, Philippines - 88 minutes
6. Cairo, Egypt - 82 minutes
7. Santiago de Chile, Chile - 69 minutes
8. Bratislava, Slovakia - 62 minutes
9. Mumbai, India - 61 minutes
10. Budapest, Hungary - 59 minutes
james

Adelaide, Australia

#10 Sep 1, 2011
well if we dont have malmart in australia then do they ship here or wat
james

Adelaide, Australia

#11 Sep 1, 2011
well if we don't have walmart in Australia then do they ship here or what
james

Adelaide, Australia

#12 Sep 1, 2011
sorry walmart
The Everyman

Sydney, Australia

#13 Sep 6, 2011
lilhankjjfan wrote:
I hope Walmart never gets to open in Australia, I work for Walmart, This company is only interested in making billions, They treat associates like slaves, I work overnight recieving a huge $8.35 per Hr, I can imagine an Aussie working for that, But Walmat know if you leave they have 20 more applications to fill your position, And the high unemployment rate here in USA makes it hard not to work for these stores.
You're a bit out of touch. I work for Bunnings,(Australian version of Home Depot) a division of Wesfarmers. Yes, they're very money hungry too, extracting every drop of revenue for as little wage as possible, BUT our pay rates are much higher than those in the U.S.
Work overnight in a department store, 6PM onwards - approx. AUS$26/hr, minimum . Anytime between 7AM - 6PM, 38hr. work week, AUS$19/hr.(AUS$725 per week gross.)
The wages I see be offered in the U.S. are deplorable! Absolutely disgusting! eg.$6 an hour! No wonder crime rates are much higher in the U.S.- Were there/ are there unions in America to go into bat for workers' wages & rights. It's a pity to see, for example, a hard-working waitress, busting her back for $7/hr. Is this how business owners become millionaires in the U.S?
The value of the US dollar and Aussie dollar are comparable at the moment, but even when our dollar floundered around US.70cents for years, our pay rates were much higher.
People having to work for as little as $5 or $6 an hour - CRAP!!!
The Everyman

Sydney, Australia

#14 Sep 6, 2011
lilhankjjfan wrote:
I hope Walmart never gets to open in Australia, I work for Walmart, This company is only interested in making billions, They treat associates like slaves, I work overnight recieving a huge $8.35 per Hr, I can imagine an Aussie working for that, But Walmat know if you leave they have 20 more applications to fill your position, And the high unemployment rate here in USA makes it hard not to work for these stores.
P.S. NO ONE in Australia would EVER work for $8.35/hr. overnight. Ever! We've had it a lot better, for a lot longer, fortunately.
Sounds like its the business owners in the U.S. who reap nearly ALL the rewards & have it TOO good.
Jim

Winnsboro, SC

#15 Sep 9, 2011
The Everyman wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a bit out of touch. I work for Bunnings,(Australian version of Home Depot) a division of Wesfarmers. Yes, they're very money hungry too, extracting every drop of revenue for as little wage as possible, BUT our pay rates are much higher than those in the U.S.
Work overnight in a department store, 6PM onwards - approx. AUS$26/hr, minimum . Anytime between 7AM - 6PM, 38hr. work week, AUS$19/hr.(AUS$725 per week gross.)
The wages I see be offered in the U.S. are deplorable! Absolutely disgusting! eg.$6 an hour! No wonder crime rates are much higher in the U.S.- Were there/ are there unions in America to go into bat for workers' wages & rights. It's a pity to see, for example, a hard-working waitress, busting her back for $7/hr. Is this how business owners become millionaires in the U.S?
The value of the US dollar and Aussie dollar are comparable at the moment, but even when our dollar floundered around US.70cents for years, our pay rates were much higher.
People having to work for as little as $5 or $6 an hour - CRAP!!!
Well, the Federal minimum wage here in the US has been $7.25/hr for a couple of years now (and some states have higher minimums--up to $8.67/hr in Washington). Tipped laborers (eg. waiters/waitresses), among others, have a minimum of $2.13/hr, as long as their tips at least make up the difference between that and the normal $7.25/hr. Night-shifts make a little more money, but I recently worked for a company where it was as low as $0.25/hr more (many from my experience like to offer about $1/hr more). Anyone who mentioned earning amounts below that threshold should not be anymore. I agree, though, that the minimum wage, and the wages of most jobs that you are lucky enough to find these days are deplorable. With the high unemployment rates and fierce competition for having any job AT ALL, though, employers have us on a very short leash.

And yes, there are workers unions (in the New England cities, they are everywhere).

As far as Wal-Mart goes, I also hope that they never break into the Australian market. They are one of the worst perpitrators of low wages, externalized costs, etc. for maximum profit margins.
cargo

Melbourne, Australia

#16 Sep 15, 2011
i hope it does come to Australia.
Annie

Canberra, Australia

#17 Sep 17, 2011
Baron44 wrote:
<quoted text>If you are not a Muslim, migrate to Australia
1 Jul 2011 – Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week. Generally, employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.
Your religious intolerance is not appreciated it has nothing to do with the subject matter and please all note not all Australians feel this way. We are better than this guys common!

Location hidden

#18 Sep 18, 2011
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
Your religious intolerance is not appreciated it has nothing to do with the subject matter and please all note not all Australians feel this way. We are better than this guys common!
Why you like to be stoned if you have sex before you get married?
Or maybe you like a whipping for drinking a Pina colada? or holding hands with a man who is not your brother?
-
If you are married make sure you are not baking any bread if your partner wants A QUICKIE
Jimmy In Sydney

Granville, Australia

#19 Sep 24, 2011
Americans have a love/hate relationship with Walmart. Where else can you go at 2:00 in the morning to buy groceries, a new out fit, a set of tires for your car and a printer cartridge at an outrageously low price?

The downside is they are pretty crappy to work for. They are consistently ranked at or near the bottom in surveys of good places to work.

Since moving to Australia last year (a country that completely shuts down and rolls up the city sidewalks at 5:00pm) I do miss Walmart and would LOVE to see them come here. Big W and Woolworths take advantage of the Australian people by price gouging and most of them don't even know it.

It would be nice if Walmart would at least SHIP to Australia, as I have tried, but their website only allows entry for a U.S. address.
kathy

Katoomba, Australia

#20 Oct 8, 2011
taylor52 wrote:
I disagree lilhankjjfan, maybe its different at the store your at but I to work at Walmart and have put in 9 years and I like to think that both stores I've worked at has a family atmosphere. I started at 5.25 an hour while I was in college and stayed with them after I was done making much more then my profession. I'm not saying their perfect but as long as you do your job and understand their end goal IS to make money. I hope they do make it there. I have family who live in Australia and love hitting up Walmart when their in the states. Their cost of living is much more then ours..
I also loved walmart when I was in the States wish they would come to Australia!!
kathy

Katoomba, Australia

#21 Oct 8, 2011
When I was in the States visiting friends I loved going to Walmart Stores I was like a child let loose in a lolly shop!! I certainly do hope they come to Australia and it is like any com[pany you work for they are in it top make money even our Aussie shops do that!!
SAU

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Oct 11, 2011
kathy wrote:
<quoted text> I also loved walmart when I was in the States wish they would come to Australia!!
I don't know anyone who wants Walmart on Australia. I don't make much money and I'm doing just fine without them and so is my town.
ezyed

Altona, Australia

#23 Oct 17, 2011
lilhankjjfan wrote:
i take it you have never been to australia $8.35 per hr thats what we pay our 15 year olds .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sydney, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ebay austalia complaints & paypal problems...jo... (Feb '11) 41 min Dutch expat 220
Lindt Cafe showed what poofs Sydney males are 10 hr arnold 1
Why should Australians fear from Muslims? (Dec '07) Thu The Anti-Muhammad 46,794
David HIcks - One Word Feb 24 Lemon 1
Muslims Whining Again Feb 24 Lemon 1
Sydney girls need sex now (Feb '14) Feb 23 soloboy69 30
Australian scientists announce solar energy bre... Feb 23 St_Nick 114
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:48 am PST