The floods seen from space

The floods seen from space

There are 22 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from Jan 5, 2011, titled The floods seen from space. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

US space agency NASA has released striking satellite images of the effect of floods on regional Queensland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Changing it up since 2008.”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 6, 2011
Whoa!! Thats insane. I cant help but think of 2012... Not to sound insensitive. Im just saying.
Adelaidean

Australia

#2 Jan 6, 2011
10SecondDestruction wrote:
Whoa!! Thats insane. I cant help but think of 2012... Not to sound insensitive. Im just saying.
Thanks for that, 10SD. It confirms how severe the flooding is. Historically flooding on this scale predictably follows a drought. Australia has endured a 10 year drought and now it's breaking.
Henry Moore

Toronto, Canada

#3 Jan 6, 2011
At least it'll ease the salinity problems as the floodwaters move down the Murray-Darling system. Broken Hill's water supply at Menindee Lakes will get topped up, too.

Since: Dec 07

Austin, TX

#5 Jan 6, 2011
Wow, hope everything works out for the Aussie families involved. We had some big floods when I lived in Wee Waa.

“Changing it up since 2008.”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#6 Jan 7, 2011
Adelaidean wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that, 10SD. It confirms how severe the flooding is. Historically flooding on this scale predictably follows a drought. Australia has endured a 10 year drought and now it's breaking.
If only it were at the River Murray. Homes wouldnt be destroyed, families not suffering. Water restrictions wouldnt be so bad.

Soon though, the storm cells has to stop and nature will strike again. Like you said, Drought.
Henry Moore

Toronto, Canada

#7 Jan 7, 2011
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
Wow, hope everything works out for the Aussie families involved. We had some big floods when I lived in Wee Waa.
I lived in Wee Waa in 1984-85, working for an outfit called Lashbrook Chipping. Worked as a marker for the cropdusting companies, too, and got a few nice showers of insecticide and defoliant.

We had some floods in 84 that I remember, and also a huge plague of mice at the beginning of that year. It's not too bad for people who live in town inside the levee bank (which was about 8 feet high if I remember correctly), but I'd hate to live on one of the outlying properties and have to deal with the regular flooding and all that terrible blacksoil mud.

Malakoff, TX

#8 Jan 7, 2011
Henry Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in Wee Waa in 1984-85, working for an outfit called Lashbrook Chipping. Worked as a marker for the cropdusting companies, too, and got a few nice showers of insecticide and defoliant.
We had some floods in 84 that I remember, and also a huge plague of mice at the beginning of that year. It's not too bad for people who live in town inside the levee bank (which was about 8 feet high if I remember correctly), but I'd hate to live on one of the outlying properties and have to deal with the regular flooding and all that terrible blacksoil mud.
A very good mate of mine built that levee along with his dad.
Henry Moore

Toronto, Canada

#9 Jan 7, 2011
I wonder if Wee Waa still has that local ordinance forbidding the use of speedboats on the main street. The bow waves used to cause extra damage to the buildings when people motorboated through the floodwaters.

I also wonder if the Imperial Hotel still has six feet of water in their cellar. It was always flooded when I worked there as cook and barman in the 80's.

I was in town a few years later when old Mrs Knight was murdered by an itinerant worker. The killer was lucky he got picked up by the cops before her family got to him - the Knights were the biggest clan in town back then and probably still are. Actually now I think about it there was a murder in 84 when I first moved to Wee Waa. A 13-year-old schoolboy called Chris Booby murdered some old homeless bloke by bashing him on the head with a shovel.

And then there was the Dalton family who won nine million bucks on Lotto. They used to live in town in a crappy old weatherboard place with tyres on the roof to keep the corrugated iron from blowing away. I never heard what happened to them afterwards because that was when I moved to Narrabri.

Spring, TX

#10 Jan 7, 2011
Henry Moore wrote:
I wonder if Wee Waa still has that local ordinance forbidding the use of speedboats on the main street. The bow waves used to cause extra damage to the buildings when people motorboated through the floodwaters.
I also wonder if the Imperial Hotel still has six feet of water in their cellar. It was always flooded when I worked there as cook and barman in the 80's.
I was in town a few years later when old Mrs Knight was murdered by an itinerant worker. The killer was lucky he got picked up by the cops before her family got to him - the Knights were the biggest clan in town back then and probably still are. Actually now I think about it there was a murder in 84 when I first moved to Wee Waa. A 13-year-old schoolboy called Chris Booby murdered some old homeless bloke by bashing him on the head with a shovel.
And then there was the Dalton family who won nine million bucks on Lotto. They used to live in town in a crappy old weatherboard place with tyres on the roof to keep the corrugated iron from blowing away. I never heard what happened to them afterwards because that was when I moved to Narrabri.
Some of those names really ring a bell. I had a mate in the 60's, his dad managed the Imperial. We've walked the same streets, mate.
I used to go to Burren often to go hunting with two mates there. They also went to school at Wee Waa. Long bus ride each day!
Henry Moore

Toronto, Canada

#11 Jan 7, 2011
I did my hunting down in the Pilliga Scrub. There were pigs in there the size of baby rhinocerous.

Spring, TX

#12 Jan 8, 2011
Henry Moore wrote:
I did my hunting down in the Pilliga Scrub. There were pigs in there the size of baby rhinocerous.
LOL, been there, done that, got the T Shirt! My Burren mates believed in catching the pigs alive, taking them back and eating them after they've "took a knife the boars' nuts!" Apparently, it made the meat better.
Inspector Care

Albany Creek, Australia

#13 Jan 8, 2011
Who Cares its only Queensland
Henry Moore

Toronto, Canada

#14 Jan 8, 2011
<quoted text>
LOL, been there, done that, got the T Shirt! My Burren mates believed in catching the pigs alive, taking them back and eating them after they've "took a knife the boars' nuts!" Apparently, it made the meat better.
I don't eat wild pork. Too much risk of catching parasites.
Farmer

Ottawa, Canada

#15 Jan 8, 2011
Adelaidean wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like Australia is building itself a swimming pool! LOL
Anyway, the news says that world wheat prices, and thereby food prices in general, are expected to rise quite sharply in the future because Australia's crop has been destroyed, especially it being the 3rd or 4th largest producer of wheat.
Now I've been to Australia before a couple of times, up and down the eastern coast, but I don't recall ever seeing a single field of wheat!
Are these floods just another excuse by corporation to overcharge consumers? I'm starting to think so. Took a look at the image too. The area of flood pockets don't match the sensationalism reflected in the media at all.
Farmer

Ottawa, Canada

#16 Jan 8, 2011
Henry Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
The secret lies in it being cooked well done. The medium rare aficionados might get stomach cramps.

Malakoff, TX

#17 Jan 8, 2011
Henry Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the reason these guys caught them alive. They would raise them for awhile, give them vet meds which would eliminate the parasites and butcher them later. They always had a few ready for the table. It was a hoot!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#18 Jan 8, 2011
It's the wet season and the flooded area's are all established flood planes, nature can't help it if idiotic humans build on flood prone areas.
Henry Moore

Toronto, Canada

#19 Jan 8, 2011
<quoted text>
That's the reason these guys caught them alive. They would raise them for awhile, give them vet meds which would eliminate the parasites and butcher them later. They always had a few ready for the table. It was a hoot!
That would work. Personally I just used to buy a weaner from a friend with a piggery, then butcher it myself and have a hangi with my mates.
FatSamoanFart

Albany Creek, Australia

#20 Jan 8, 2011
Palawa wrote:
It's the wet season and the flooded area's are all established flood planes, nature can't help it if idiotic humans build on flood prone areas.
Well that's Rednecks 4 u buddy!

Malakoff, TX

#21 Jan 8, 2011
Henry Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
That would work. Personally I just used to buy a weaner from a friend with a piggery, then butcher it myself and have a hangi with my mates.
Good on ya, fair dinkum!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockhampton, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Australian race relations suffering from a lack... Jul 20 Truth 2
moving to rockhampton????? (Mar '07) Jun '15 Steve 47
culture of china discuss May '15 Tang 1
News Homes destroyed as twin cyclones slam into nort... Feb '15 funny 2
News Cyclone Marcia: Terrifying experience ahead for... Feb '15 Puma-1 2
News Beef baron loses fight for life (May '14) May '14 Stan Dandyliver 2
News ANZAC Day (Apr '14) Apr '14 JimBuckRabbit 2
More from around the web