Aborigine rage after golliwog doll go...

Aborigine rage after golliwog doll goes on sale in tourist shops in Australia

There are 84 comments on the Daily Mail story from May 20, 2012, titled Aborigine rage after golliwog doll goes on sale in tourist shops in Australia. In it, Daily Mail reports that:

The black-faced dolls, imported from China by an Australian firm, have begun appearing in tourist and novelty shops in resorts north of Brisbane - and Aboriginal elders are furious.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Mail.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Sdow

Canada

#88 Dec 22, 2012
Rediculous, a doll can hardly be seen as racist. If we didnt have any dark dolls, i suppose that would be racist too
Sad Story

Australia

#89 Dec 22, 2012
Palawa wrote:
Bob's a bit of a loud mouth and doesn't speak for indigenous outside urban areas, he gets pretty hot under the collar makes things worse at times. He should be proud of his heritage and not wander down the racist track he supposedly hates
Golliwogs refer to Africans and always have, my sister had one as a kid and loved it. Other kids wanted a black doll as well, as they had white ones. Pretty funny when you thin of it, all the claims of it being racist and the kids just saw them as a bit like them. Maybe some whit supremacists should complain about the depictions of whites in dolls, Barby and Ken could be classed as pretty offensive because the demean the mentality of whites and make them look stupid for their obsession with fashion and bizarre looks.
Bob's a bit like Mansell, but is really indigenous whilst Mansell is a ring in.
Apparently Supermodel Naomi Campbell had an incident on a plane where a passenger compared her to a golliwog or called her a golliwog & she flipped out & started yelling abuse to the perso who made the remark - because of the connotations that come with the word 'golliwog'
she flipped out & became abusive too.
Mojo

Australia

#90 Dec 22, 2012
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
I take your's and Scooterman's collective points into consideration. Yes the doll itself isn't the problem it's the perception. I'm afraid while it represents nostalgia for your generation's childhood it represents the sinister face of racism for people like myself.
I'm afraid seeing it in shop windows is like seeing a burning cross on my front lawn. It is harmful for our mental health.
well cry us a river you anti-white wobblehead!
Sad Story

Australia

#91 Dec 22, 2012
#golliwog doll

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Queensland, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WTF News: It's Weird, True and Funny Jul 25 beatlesinthebog 3
News Aussie screenwriters in final of Script Pipelin... Jul 22 Rosco 2
Native Sons MC Queensland Australia (Aug '12) Jun '16 casper 45
News High cost of living leading to electricity disc... Jun '16 French beta cuck 7
News ALP targets Herbert amid rising unemployment Jun '16 P plater 1
Earthquakes Are Japan's Conspiracy (Nov '11) May '16 fukuda 5
News Queensland to lower age of consent for anal sex May '16 what the 1
More from around the web