BBC suffers huge loss as it sells Lon...

BBC suffers huge loss as it sells Lonely Planet guide to American publisher

There are 5 comments on the vancouversun.com story from Mar 19, 2013, titled BBC suffers huge loss as it sells Lonely Planet guide to American publisher. In it, vancouversun.com reports that:

The Lonely Planet guide started out in 1973 on the kitchen table of Tony and Maureen Wheeler, who turned their adventures travelling on the cheap into a publishing empire- a backpacker Bible that made far-flung places seem easier to access.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at vancouversun.com.

Becky

Nanjing, China

#1 Mar 19, 2013
My Lonely Planet Chinese phrasebook devotes a good portion of its pages to buying drugs, picking strangers up in bars, having sex with them and getting treatment for diseases. If Lonely Planet has identified this kind of traveller as its market, and it is sizeable enough to show a profit, it's no wonder English-speaking tourists have a bad reputation in Asia.
Anglo-Saxon-Celt

Airds, Australia

#2 Mar 19, 2013
No, you asians are just racist carnts.
Becky

Nanjing, China

#3 Mar 19, 2013
Anglo-Saxon-Celt wrote:
No, you asians are just racist carnts.
What Asian, moron? I'm as Australian as you are- Irish/Scots and born in Tamworth.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#4 Mar 19, 2013
Becky wrote:
My Lonely Planet Chinese phrasebook devotes a good portion of its pages to buying drugs, picking strangers up in bars, having sex with them and getting treatment for diseases. If Lonely Planet has identified this kind of traveller as its market, and it is sizeable enough to show a profit, it's no wonder English-speaking tourists have a bad reputation in Asia.
I thought you were an idiot, now you've confirmed it, pity you don't use a more sizeable portion of your brain when you comment. I had the book you are talking about, used to use it for english teaching, the parts you have incorrectly describe relate to buying medicine at a chemist [medicine store], meeting people, ordering drinks, food etc and what to say to a doctor if you are sick plus a thousand other useful phrases you need in day to day life.
Becky

Nanjing, China

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Yes, AND the pages devoted to sex tourism. You must have a different edition, idiot

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West Gate Park (Feb '16) 9 min Leggychick 3,452
Casual Encounters Melbourne (Jun '16) 25 min tattooedguy187 312
Local Sex Dating Melbourne 1 hr Texopest777 1,656
BDSM and Bondage Meets 1 hr Kahn 224
Braeside Park (Jul '15) 1 hr Mr Mena 288
Caulfield/Toorak dogging and bondage: Jewish bi... 1 hr Hasbara 1
Sexting 1 hr Aussie32 1
Flora and fauna park (Jul '15) 2 hr Foo 6,794
Club x dandenong cinema (Sep '14) 2 hr Foo 2,869
Sunnyside Beach (Sep '14) 3 hr Luv2play 4,594