Push to remember Japanese war dead in Darwin

There are 57 comments on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation story from Mar 2, 2011, titled Push to remember Japanese war dead in Darwin. In it, Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports that:

The 1942 bombing killed more than 240 Australians Nearly 70 years on from the Japanese bombing of Darwin, some city residents are pushing for the recognition of Japanese war dead at Australian commemorations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Elias

Brighton East, Australia

#43 Mar 4, 2011
TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
do you have any nice anecdotes about white aussies, or are they always drunk, stoned,vulgar, blowing up letterboxes of little old chinese?I mean, surely you've met at least one nice person since 1965?
Lots TBA, it's the not so nice element I'd like to re-educate

Since: Dec 10

Ballarat, Australia

#45 Mar 4, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
Small steps. The Japs have already apologised for bombing Darwin that's why we are being encouraged to reciprocate.
Just like the present day Aussies didn't 'massacre' any Aboriginals or steal their land, the present day Japanese didn't commit any atrocities in Australia either. We don't like being persecuted for the sins of our fathers so why should they???
I don't believe in forgetting what happened by any means, we can never do that, but it's time to forgive the past as best we can - while 'never' forgetting - because we just might need that knowledge in the future. But it looks like our present enemy certainly isn't the Japs, so this generation is going to have a different race to hate aren't they.
bullshit, i have nothing against present day japanese, but their forefathers were an invading force, they were also a cruel regime that used babies inside of bags as bayonet practice, they starved prisoners to death, beheaded them, bashed and tortured them and even cannibalised some of our soldiers, to demand respect for an invading force wether they be dead or alive is something that should never be contemplated, it is treasonous and it IS TRULY unaustralian..

likewise, the abo's should not be bitching against us for the actions of another generation, they do have the right to piss on those responsible for what was done to them, but i'll be fucked if i will let the bastards blame me..

as for this..

"But it looks like our present enemy certainly isn't the Japs, so this generation is going to have a different race to hate aren't they."

you make it sound like its a racist act to hate your enemy, is that just bad phrasing ?
TBA

Caringbah, Australia

#46 Mar 4, 2011
Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots TBA, it's the not so nice element I'd like to re-educate
and do you think the not so nice element really wants to be 're-educated' by you?
every culture has its yobbos and bogans.
Elias

Brighton East, Australia

#47 Mar 4, 2011
TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
and do you think the not so nice element really wants to be 're-educated' by you?
every culture has its yobbos and bogans.
Well I'll give it a crack anyway.

“political junkie ”

Since: Sep 10

Sydney

#48 Mar 5, 2011
Do you children have any idea of what the Japs did to our diggers on the Burma railway? Get hold of a book and find out for God's sake. Have you heard of Weary Dunlop?

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#49 Mar 5, 2011
PHIL LINDSAY wrote:
<quoted text>
bullshit, i have nothing against present day japanese, but their forefathers were an invading force, they were also a cruel regime that used babies inside of bags as bayonet practice, they starved prisoners to death, beheaded them, bashed and tortured them and even cannibalised some of our soldiers, to demand respect for an invading force wether they be dead or alive is something that should never be contemplated, it is treasonous and it IS TRULY unaustralian..
likewise, the abo's should not be bitching against us for the actions of another generation, they do have the right to piss on those responsible for what was done to them, but i'll be fucked if i will let the bastards blame me..
as for this..
"But it looks like our present enemy certainly isn't the Japs, so this generation is going to have a different race to hate aren't they."
you make it sound like its a racist act to hate your enemy, is that just bad phrasing ?
"Bad phrasing"? Hardly. And "a racist act to hate your enemy"? Nope, not at all.

I'm sorry, but I can't be held responsible for your wrong interpretation of my comment.

I suggest you read #10 and #13 again, and you might get the meaning right.

Also, an apology doesn't automatically mean you have to stop 'hating' or ever forget what happened. And it also doesn't mean that the person giving the apology genuinely means it either.
Ross Darwin Australia

Australia

#50 Mar 5, 2011
Pollywaffle, I will ask you , wouldn,t you be happy to accept there apology, after they gave you a free trip to Japan for you and your family, there were hundreds of X POWs not asked to go .
RedPill

Colorado Springs, CO

#51 Mar 5, 2011
Well, the powers-that-be have won. They have managed to dredge up nonsensical BS to divide and conquer.

How wonderful it is (for those manipulating you) that your attention is diverted away from really important issues involving central bankster shenanigans and corrupt politicians. LOL!

Youíre all frigging doomed because you havenít yet figured out the rules of the game. Pathetic.

Youíve swallowed the frigging Blue Pill. Good luck!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#53 Mar 5, 2011
Gottaliv wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bad phrasing"? Hardly. And "a racist act to hate your enemy"? Nope, not at all.
I'm sorry, but I can't be held responsible for your wrong interpretation of my comment.
I suggest you read #10 and #13 again, and you might get the meaning right.
Also, an apology doesn't automatically mean you have to stop 'hating' or ever forget what happened. And it also doesn't mean that the person giving the apology genuinely means it either.
all im saying is that this part of your sentence..

"so this generation is going to have a different race to hate aren't they."

makes it look like hating your enemy is based on race, i asked if that was what you meant, you have now told me "no", i didn't have a set interpretation of your comment, thats why i asked for clarification.

“political junkie ”

Since: Sep 10

Sydney

#54 Mar 5, 2011
Unfortunately the Japanese didn't tell their younger generations about the atrocities they committed in WWII, they still have no idea how cruel they were. But I know what they did and will never forgive.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#55 Mar 5, 2011
In WW2 the Japanese regarded Australians of Anglo/European descent as round-eyed barbarian retards. Since then although most are too superficially polite to say it to our faces many Japanese have let slip the same sentiment right up to current times. It's reasonable to believe that many more would do likewise if they were not still immersed in ritualized etiquette.

Therefore, any niceties contemplated toward the memory of those Japanese who perished menacing and attacking us are little more than a feel-good gesture to gratify a few of today's Anglo Pollyannas. Even if today's Japanese pay token lip service to our gesture there is no reason to believe that sincerity will enter into it.

A far more potent gesture will be the High-fives they swap out of our sight, laughing at our round-eyed gullibility. Nothing has changed. Collectively they still think we're stupid.

“We don't have to take it”

Since: Jun 08

WhereTFamI?

#56 Mar 5, 2011
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
In WW2 the Japanese regarded Australians of Anglo/European descent as round-eyed barbarian retards. Since then although most are too superficially polite to say it to our faces many Japanese have let slip the same sentiment right up to current times. It's reasonable to believe that many more would do likewise if they were not still immersed in ritualized etiquette.
Therefore, any niceties contemplated toward the memory of those Japanese who perished menacing and attacking us are little more than a feel-good gesture to gratify a few of today's Anglo Pollyannas. Even if today's Japanese pay token lip service to our gesture there is no reason to believe that sincerity will enter into it.
A far more potent gesture will be the High-fives they swap out of our sight, laughing at our round-eyed gullibility. Nothing has changed. Collectively they still think we're stupid.
Exactly, it's all politics.

Even the vets who were all emotional about the apology and considered it 'genuine' might have a few reservations but for them it was time to let the bitterness go, they've lived with it far too long.

Is there anyone here who thinks that KRudds apology to the Aboriginals was 'genuine'? It served a political purpose and that's all it was. KRudd would sell his sole to the devil if he thought it would buy him votes.

That's probably the only bit of respect I had for Howard, he refused to be a hypocrite on this subject.

Since: Apr 07

TERRA AUSTRALIS

#59 Mar 9, 2011
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
You're probably right. Though it's an amusing irony that their technological advancements in the modern era and the high quality of their manufactured goods were born purely out of allied intervention after they were bombed into submission. The first country to use a system of Quality Assurance, implimented by the americans, who didn't even use it themselves.
poo

Lakemba, Australia

#65 Mar 9, 2011
hey truth dude wtf r u smoking man? whatever it is i really want a hit of that as its obvious ur fkeeeeed uuuuup duuuuude
TBA

Caringbah, Australia

#66 Mar 9, 2011
truth wrote:
how its look
planet in orbite ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
finddddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddd
''mind program''
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =568MLu3t-O0XX
http://mappery.com/map-of/St-James-Park-Map
i druge misleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee
''gin with tonic''
http://www.google.com.au/images...
Pitbull, wtf are you smoking?
poo

Lakemba, Australia

#67 Mar 9, 2011
TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
hey thats my line
Legs

Australia

#68 Mar 10, 2011
TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's the Albanian Gypsy back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darwin, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hanson: halal a 'money-making racket' Fri Porkman 4
Jet Li The Evil Cult, eng subs Apr 27 Tan 1
know the truth Feb '15 HEATH - 72 1
News Sri Lankan Asylum Seeker Dies After Setting Sel... (Jun '14) Jan '15 IMT4EBISH 16
News The day Cyclone Tracy unleashed hell on Darwin,... Dec '14 Storm 1
News As Obama visits Asia, old alliances face new st... (Nov '14) Nov '14 lolol 2
News Lake Argyle in Western Australia's remote Kimbe... (Aug '14) Aug '14 born yesterday 1
More from around the web