Oprah begins her 'ultimate' Australian adventure

Oprah Winfrey landed in Australia on Wednesday, joining 300 eager audience members for her ultimate giveaway - an action-packed, Down Under adventure including close encounters with kangaroos, surfing lessons and a journey to the remote and dusty Outback.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

#65 Dec 18, 2010
HarryPotter wrote:
<quoted text>
Tourism, shmourism! Australia knows how to promote itself without some self indulgent fat cat.
I dunno - this is a pretty good way too.

Oprah is ridiculously popular with the women of this world and is seen around the globe. Just ask an author what it means for sales to get on her show, and promoted online in association with her nod of approval.

She's been hyping Australia on her show for over three months - and that's being shown on TVs from Beijing, Buenos Aires, Johannesburg and Moscow and everywhere in between, with all the attedant hype online, in magazines and chat shows.

You might not like the fact that Oprah gets some benefit - but cross promotions are just a fact of business in advertising - and it's a good deal from where I'm sitting.

Oprah headed to Australia to shoot show September 14, 2010

TV queen to film at 'Oprah House'
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey is flying 300 people to Australia, where she will host her show from the Sydney Opera House.

Oprah Winfrey is heading to Australia and is taking 300 of her US viewers with her.

The American TV talk-show queen announced her visit on Monday's premiere episode of the farewell season of her show, surprising a hysterical studio audience...

$3m to get Oprah to Australia

The trip, carried out in conjunction with Qantas, will be partly financed with $1.5 million from Tourism Australia's current financial year marketing budget.

"I think it's money well spent," Tourism Minister Martin Ferguson said.

NSW Premier Kristina Keneally said the state government would contribute between $1 million and $2 million.

"We're absolutely delighted the most successful talk show, probably ever, is coming to Australia, coming to Sydney," she said, adding that it had been in the planning stages for the past year.

Ms Keneally paid tribute to those in the state government who kept it confidential.

"In the NSW government, we dubbed it Project O," she said.

Former federal tourism minister John Brown made an impromptu speech in which he implored the media not to be "cynical about the cost".

"We spent hundreds of millions of dollars over 30 years without much effect, I must say that honestly," he said.

"The publicity that Oprah will bring to Australia around the world is something you couldn't buy."

Boost for tourism
Adelaidean

Australia

#66 Dec 18, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
But then these were not written by aussies, it was a bored teen or a lebo or a wog, sure it was.
First half way intelligent thing I've ever seen you write ... and you had go and to spoil it by reverting to irony. Just think ... you almost made it to the status of a sentient life form! Maybe next time .....
Yank Oliver

South Porcupine, Canada

#67 Dec 18, 2010
Adelaidean wrote:
<quoted text>
First half way intelligent thing I've ever seen you write ... and you had go and to spoil it by reverting to irony. Just think ... you almost made it to the status of a sentient life form! Maybe next time .....
Who asked you old sod?
Adelaidean

Australia

#68 Dec 18, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
Who asked you old sod?
Dang! I should have waited to be asked ... like you always do!

Mea Culpa!
Some Australian guy

Brisbane, Australia

#69 Dec 18, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
Just read the first page of Australian Topix and you will see the racism. The best ones are Australia should nuke ________ FILL IN THE COUNTRY. Australia does not have nuclear weapons and never has. If this is not a sign of a big inferiority complex, I don't know what is. But then these were not written by aussies, it was a bored teen or a lebo or a wog, sure it was.
Like I have said before, just because one Australia on this site runs his/her mouth of does not mean he/she speaks for all Australians country wide so NO yank this inferiority complex is he/sheís alone and not that of the rest of Australia. Answer me this ok when you show of your own personal racism, utter contempt and complete arrogant nature against the Australian people are you speaking on the behalf of all Canadians or just yourself.

Who do you think the bored teens are yank??? Itís the Australians and the lebos and the wogs and whoever else has been on this site, donít try to twist my words.
Yank Oliver

South Porcupine, Canada

#70 Dec 18, 2010
Some Australian guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I have said before, just because one Australia on this site runs his/her mouth of does not mean he/she speaks for all Australians country wide so NO yank this inferiority complex is he/sheís alone and not that of the rest of Australia. Answer me this ok when you show of your own personal racism, utter contempt and complete arrogant nature against the Australian people are you speaking on the behalf of all Canadians or just yourself.
Who do you think the bored teens are yank??? Itís the Australians and the lebos and the wogs and whoever else has been on this site, donít try to twist my words.
There were no some autralians guys' words twisted on 9/11.
pt78RRuy10F

Endicott, NY

#71 Dec 18, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
Who asked you old sod?
Troll record. Action pending.[T.R.A.P.]
Some Australian guy

Petrie, Australia

#72 Dec 18, 2010
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
There were no some autralians guys' words twisted on 9/11.
Sounds about right. Asked a question you cant answer, just talk shit because thats the mature to do.
Yank Oliver

South Porcupine, Canada

#73 Dec 19, 2010
Some Australian guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds about right. Asked a question you cant answer, just talk shit because thats the mature to do.
There was no talking shit on 911.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#74 Dec 19, 2010
I hate the american rejects that recycle themselves here its ridiculous they walk around like gold just falls off their shoes ull never see a french guy acting like he is star in new york amd yanks don't change their accents so daggy's suck em off because they love it and y u would u love oprah ? 12 years after her popularity she is here for a tourist deal yanks gonna rock up going with RRRRR sh... And poms after taking ova france immigrating there r all gonna rock up to oz I'm shooting to new caledonia gilliard speaking of bigger broad band and licking oprah's hand root rats 80's hair cuts and mentality its india and kiwi monkeys everywhere y would hate indians calling them rats and suck oprah's hand ?
mimi

Bristol, TN

#76 Dec 28, 2010
You Americans, that need to be spoon fed E-V-E-R-Y step of a conversation, should know, you are not, conversing with uneducated people like yourselves here, so you have to lift your game, because we can only come down so far. Australians, are naturally independent, and require non of the hand holding or head patting needed by American's. See, I thought you would have figured this out by now,I gave you much too much credit here, my mistake.LMAO..........Ssh. You'll wake them before winter hibernation is over. We need them fresh for the Jerry Springer slum-a-thon during spring break!
mimi

Bristol, TN

#77 Dec 28, 2010
You must not worry about the Canuckians. It's winter now and they have many moose to impregnate before next spring. Besides, they all serve the POMS and think they are British. Ahem.
HarryPotter

Melbourne, Australia

#78 Dec 30, 2010
ngali wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno - this is a pretty good way too.
Oprah is ridiculously popular with the women of this world and is seen around the globe. Just ask an author what it means for sales to get on her show, and promoted online in association with her nod of approval.
She's been hyping Australia on her show for over three months - and that's being shown on TVs from Beijing, Buenos Aires, Johannesburg and Moscow and everywhere in between, with all the attedant hype online, in magazines and chat shows.
You might not like the fact that Oprah gets some benefit - but cross promotions are just a fact of business in advertising - and it's a good deal from where I'm sitting.
Oprah headed to Australia to shoot show September 14, 2010
TV queen to film at 'Oprah House'
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey is flying 300 people to Australia, where she will host her show from the Sydney Opera House.
Oprah Winfrey is heading to Australia and is taking 300 of her US viewers with her.
The American TV talk-show queen announced her visit on Monday's premiere episode of the farewell season of her show, surprising a hysterical studio audience...
$3m to get Oprah to Australia
The trip, carried out in conjunction with Qantas, will be partly financed with $1.5 million from Tourism Australia's current financial year marketing budget.
"I think it's money well spent," Tourism Minister Martin Ferguson said.
NSW Premier Kristina Keneally said the state government would contribute between $1 million and $2 million.
"We're absolutely delighted the most successful talk show, probably ever, is coming to Australia, coming to Sydney," she said, adding that it had been in the planning stages for the past year.
Ms Keneally paid tribute to those in the state government who kept it confidential.
"In the NSW government, we dubbed it Project O," she said.
Former federal tourism minister John Brown made an impromptu speech in which he implored the media not to be "cynical about the cost".
"We spent hundreds of millions of dollars over 30 years without much effect, I must say that honestly," he said.
"The publicity that Oprah will bring to Australia around the world is something you couldn't buy."
Boost for tourism
It's interesting to read how your mind has digested the brainwashing propaganda for bringing tiger, oprah and the likes for our benefit. I would have preferred the money to have been spent on our country's infrastructure to accommodate our increasing population. We waste enough money on the royal family and should not be giving it to free loaders who can afford to pay their own way no matter what. Other celebs that come here pay their own way.
Gandhi Singh

Sydney, Australia

#80 Dec 30, 2010
If I eat a lot, I will look like Oprah even though I'm a hindi male.
Proud aussie

Mount Morris, MI

#81 Jan 23, 2011
Some of the comments on here by red neck american scum. If your heads weren't so far up your ass you would realise that your the most hated race for a reason. Australia have lost too many people trying to help your ass in every war you have started. Please stay out of our great county if your goin to bring your hatred here.
Tie a kangaroo down

Kingston, Australia

#82 Jan 23, 2011
You ppl are so full of shit.. get a life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairns, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police warn of online child sex 'grooming' Thu easy 3
Cairns grieves for dead children Dec 23 Clint 13
Australia family found after 10 days in wilderness Dec 22 Tuesday 1
Kiwis banned from joining Aussie Army (Apr '13) Dec 22 A humbled kiwi 122
Australian woman charged with murder of 8 children Dec 21 golly 7
Cairns Music Thread Dec 10 Musikologist 1
No way! THIS is Australiai 1 2i 1 2i 1 2s best ... Dec 5 Dutch expat 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:23 pm PST