Rudd Seeks to Ditch Carbon Tax With Eye on Election Campaign

Jul 14, 2013 Full story: The Washington Post 27

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd plans to accelerate Australia's move to emissions trading as a clean- energy policy, scrapping predecessor Julia Gillard's tax on fossil fuels that's left the nation with the world's highest carbon price.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#1 Jul 14, 2013
Though he(Labor) is still having and ETS and it is working, he is killing R'Abbott in the polls.
trev

Geelong, Australia

#2 Jul 14, 2013
if climate change was such a big problem, surely rudd should be be INCREASING the carbon tax???

just goes to show the alp are nothing but hypocritical opportunists.

if rudd switches to a low price, can he guarantee that price won't go up dramitically in the event that alp forms a govt with their green comrades again?

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

#3 Jul 14, 2013
Scrapping the CT is good but I think KRudd must explain why he voted for the CT & why he & all of his front bench supported it, campaigned for it & told the Australian public it would cost over $30b for Abbott to undo it.

What happens to the billions of dollars for green energies promised? What happens to the tens of millions for projects already promised by Gillard? What happens to the 50,000 green jobs the CT was going to create? If prices are going to drop with the removal of the CT then why the need to still pay the welfare compensation? KRudd must explain where the approx $12b between what the ETS will raise & what he is spending will come from. Another $12b to the debt I expect. Just before the election & before we hit out debt ceiling.

More importantly KRudd has to tell us when the election date is because he is making a hell of a lot of expensive promises that require legislation to pass parliament - and you know this one won't have the Greens support.

Flip Flopping KRudd at it again.
Foo

Nambour, Australia

#4 Jul 14, 2013
chefboy812 wrote:
Scrapping the CT is good but I think KRudd must explain why he voted for the CT & why he & all of his front bench supported it, campaigned for it & told the Australian public it would cost over $30b for Abbott to undo it.
Before the CT was introduced , the Coalition fooled people that it would flat-out root the economy.....that was proven to be nonsense...(lol)......power bills have risen , as forecast , 10% due to the carbon tax , people were compensated , and the economy has remained strong..........it's blatantly obvious that the Coalition's anti-CT campaign has been just another negative distraction , so they don't have to explain their policies or talk about real issues. Scrapping the CT is a political move without doubt , and a good one. Slowly but surely , Tony Abbott is being revealed....He is running out of fabricated non-issues to hide under . It's time for him to aim up.......(lol)

Perth, Australia

#5 Jul 14, 2013
trev wrote:
if climate change was such a big problem, surely rudd should be be INCREASING the carbon tax???
just goes to show the alp are nothing but hypocritical opportunists.
if rudd switches to a low price, can he guarantee that price won't go up dramitically in the event that alp forms a govt with their green comrades again?
Why?
vvooiitt

Sydney, Australia

#6 Jul 15, 2013
Man made global warming due to CO2 is a scam and based on fraudulent manufactured data. This is part of the jewish globalist agenda to destroy industrialised western countries.

See the following for research:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/

http://joannenova.com.au/

Quote from Australian climate researcher Gregg Thompson:

"Q1. What % of the air is CO2?
Respondentís Answers: nearly all were 20%- 40%, the highest was 75% while the lowest were 10%- 2%.
The Correct Answer: CO2 is less than a mere four 100ths of 1%! As a decimal it is 0.038%. As a fraction it is 1/27th of 1%.(Measurements for CO2 vary from one source to another from 0.036%- 0.039% due to the difficulty in measuring such a small quantity and due to changes in wind direction e.g. whether the air flow is from an industrialized region or a volcanic emission etc)
Nitrogen is just over 78%, Oxygen is just under 21% and Argon is almost 1%. CO2 is a minute trace gas at 0.038%. We all learnt the composition of the air in both primary and high school but because most people donít use science in their day to day living, they have forgotten this. Also, the vast bulk of the population have very little knowledge of science so they find it impossible to make judgements about even basic scientific issues let alone ones as complex as climate. This makes it easy for those with agendas to deceive us by using emotive statements rather than facts.

For a detailed breakup of the atmosphere go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Ea... ;

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#7 Jul 15, 2013
Rudd's doing this because he understands the backlash after the "there will be no carbon tax under a government I lead" episode.
He knows it will be popular & will score him points with the sheeple voters.

Perth, Australia

#8 Jul 15, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
Rudd's doing this because he understands the backlash after the "there will be no carbon tax under a government I lead" episode.
Of course, and it takes away the libs bullets very effectively, though it is not as good as R'Abbotts triple turn around on climate change for the same reasons? with him saying "there isn't a climate change problem," then "there is a climate change problem," and now the problem has become "invisible". A clear example how to confuse the voter there W'Abbott.

“Fair & Balanced”

wherever there's a mine

#9 Jul 15, 2013
Bowen - average household will be $380/yr better off now we've scrapped the Carbon Tax and going to the ETS.

So if this is true then why do households need this years CT compensation?

Because KRudds old Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS), which is what he is replacing the CT with, will add an additional 0.8% to the cost of living on households over the 1st 12 months of implementation.

OH well - we lose under whichever plan.
vvooiitt

Bonnells Bay, Australia

#10 Jul 15, 2013
One wonders how the legislations are passed in Australian Federal and State levels with ALL the public officials who should know better about the FRAUDULENT and UNSUBSTANTIATED claims of anthropogenic global warming and yet TREASONOUSLY passed all these so-called 'Clean Energy Acts' which are meant to STEAL public money to give to jewish-approved multinational corporations profiting from the swindles of unworkable green energy alternatives like Wind Farms.

This can only happen if there is cunningly hidden power masters behind these government stooges: JEWISH LOBBY ORGANIZATIONS.

You doubt that? Take a look at how easily the JEWS TOTALLY CONTROL AMERICA:
http://thezog.wordpress.com/

You think jews have not done that at some level with virtually every country in the world? WAKE UP, AUSTRALIANS! FIGHT BACK JEWISH SUPREMACISM TYRANNY! Your life and future depends on it.
trev

Geelong, Australia

#11 Jul 15, 2013
yore twisting his words there. he was referring to the carbon trading system as trading in an invisbile product, which co2 is of course.

he obviously thinks it still is a problem because he's planning to waste billions of dollars on more ridiculous green schemes like planting trees and green armies!

I personally think he believes climate change is a load of b.s. like the majority of australians do but is too afraid to come out and say it because he wants to capture some of the lefty votes - you know the hypocrites who think 'they are doing something for the environment'.

I just want one of these people whether is rudd, abbott or witchy poo to come out and tell us what the MEASURABLE outcome will be for all the billions spent on these idiotic schemes. they never will because the answer is ZILCH or more accurately the answer is a negative impact when you consider how that money could have been better spent on REAL problems.

As stupid as the carbon tax was, atleast the money stayed in this country, with rudds new scheme linked to europe, you can kiss all that cash goodbye. what happens in 2 years time if that price rises significantly? only an utter moron would sign up to a scheme that involves shilling out your money to foreigners for not one bit of gain whatsoever.... quite the opposite effect on our industries and our cost of living you will find.

climate change has got NOTHING to do with science whatsoever, it is just a perceived problem pushed by leftist politicians and carpetbaggers for their own end.
i would love to get a secret opinion poll from 'climate scientists' on who they would vote for......guessing it would be even worse than the poll of abc journalists which was vast majority for the greens, then alp with a token amount for libs - great representive of community views!
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, and it takes away the libs bullets very effectively, though it is not as good as R'Abbotts triple turn around on climate change for the same reasons? with him saying "there isn't a climate change problem," then "there is a climate change problem," and now the problem has become "invisible". A clear example how to confuse the voter there W'Abbott.
vvooiitt

West End, Australia

#12 Jul 15, 2013
Australia sells coal and gas to China and India, see the stupid logic that Australians cannot fathom what all our government leaders are in collusion with the religion of global warming advocates.

Does anyone, ANYONE, ask if there is even any iota of truth to this BS, why, OH WHY, does Australia sell precious coal and gas for China to 'pollute'.

ZERO LOGIC, and not a single decent SOUL in parliament, ALL these spineless corrupt TREASONOUS government leaders, speak out on this scandal.

THE PENALTY FOR HIGH TREASON IS DEATH. Pity we don't ever have the means to execute this in jewish-controlled Australia.

“Fair & Balanced”

wherever there's a mine

#13 Jul 15, 2013
Well flip flopping KRudd has said he will scrap the CT after he wins the election. So depending on when the election is called we can be stuck with it until February 2014. He could also be opposed as leader by then and little billy has absolutely no plans to scrap the CT.
Foo

Brisbane, Australia

#14 Jul 15, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
Exactly , and it's a good move. The scare campaign against the carbon tax was totally false....10% increase in power was predicted , and the government was spot on....Rudd has basically diffused another part of the Coalitions bullshit and negativity campaign......the Coalition is slowly being coerced into talking about the issues , minus the bullshit.....
Foo

Brisbane, Australia

#15 Jul 15, 2013
chefboy812 wrote:
Well flip flopping KRudd has said he will scrap the CT after he wins the election. So depending on when the election is called we can be stuck with it until February 2014. He could also be opposed as leader by then and little billy has absolutely no plans to scrap the CT.
Incorrect , about the "flip flopping'.....(lol).....its always part of the policy...its just been brought forward by a year , which is exactly what most people have very obviously wanted.....the more Rudd strips away Abotts bullshit campaign , the more likely that we will understand what Abbott's true intentions are......Tony doesn't think we need to know , just vote for him blindly.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

#16 Jul 15, 2013
Foo wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly , and it's a good move. The scare campaign against the carbon tax was totally false....10% increase in power was predicted , and the government was spot on....Rudd has basically diffused another part of the Coalitions bullshit and negativity campaign......the Coalition is slowly being coerced into talking about the issues , minus the bullshit.....
It's a good political move, no doubt about that.
Perhaps in the cities the scare campaign appeared to be false, but out in the country prices have gone up, mostly because of increased freight costs I think.
10% power price increase?
Is that why we're copping another rise of 22% on top of that for power?
Mr Magoo

Sydney, Australia

#17 Jul 16, 2013
It won't happen, this past faced horrible little man is a liar, fraud and a hoax and he will have all you gullible people that the sky will cave in before long.

What does it take you fools to see through this despicable, horrible little dictator?

Perth, Australia

#18 Jul 16, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a good political move, no doubt about that.
Perhaps in the cities the scare campaign appeared to be false, but out in the country prices have gone up, mostly because of increased freight costs I think.
10% power price increase?
Is that why we're copping another rise of 22% on top of that for power?
We in the West copped one of the biggest power hikes in the country 67% and we have a liberal Premier, when they were analysed only about 8% of it was to do with the carbon price the rest is price gauging by our liberal state government. They should make these state governments who allow these exorbitant rises they give the utility companies open and accountable to the tax payer and then get a jail term for theft if they are found negligent...and I don't think you would have to look to hard to find the evidence to convict them, and that includes the leader of the party that allows it.

Perth, Australia

#19 Jul 16, 2013
Mr Magoo wrote:
It won't happen, this past faced horrible little man is a liar, fraud and a hoax and he will have all you gullible people that the sky will cave in before long.
What does it take you fools to see through this despicable, horrible little dictator?
So you supported a four eyed little dictator in Howard for FOUR terms and gave the little war warmongering ferret enough time to bring this country the ones that do the work, to it's knees, and you dare to lecture us? Go put a bag over your head and stand in the corner you twit for even thinking to support his protege' You seriously must be some kind of masochist, CEO or Mining Magnate, Business owner or 457 foreign worker. You can't be part of the majority of this country that suffered by his work choices and war of lies.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

#20 Jul 16, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
We in the West copped one of the biggest power hikes in the country 67% and we have a liberal Premier, when they were analysed only about 8% of it was to do with the carbon price the rest is price gauging by our liberal state government. They should make these state governments who allow these exorbitant rises they give the utility companies open and accountable to the tax payer and then get a jail term for theft if they are found negligent...and I don't think you would have to look to hard to find the evidence to convict them, and that includes the leader of the party that allows it.
Over the last few years ours at home as doubled for practically the same usage amounts which, no matter how they spin it, equates to an increase of 100%.
I believe everyone that can afford it installing solar panels has been a lot of the cause of most of the increases, these big greedy companies aren't getting the revenue from those on solar they were previously, so they've had to sting the rest of us to keep their precious profit levels up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairns, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lake Argyle in Western Australia's remote Kimbe... Aug 30 born yesterday 1
Kiwis banned from joining Aussie Army (Apr '13) Jul '14 dontask 101
Australia's last 'tracker' Barry Port retires Jul '14 Big abo petrol sn... 1
Gangs, booze and sex - 'ghetto' life in Australia Jun '14 _0rion_ 2
Mega resorts for Cairns, Gold Coast May '14 Doris McMorris 1
Australia says co-operation with Sri Lanka to p... Apr '14 Ding dong demala 8
Cyclone Ita set for landfall in Queensland as t... Apr '14 my bare bum 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••