Australian MP wants caning back in schools

Sep 16, 2008 | Posted by: ngali | Full story: www.australiannews.net

A far right parliamentarian from Queensland has reignited the debate on sparing the rod and spoiling the child by demanding that caning be reinroduced.

Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Aug 8, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

1

More quality debate from Queensland's deep north. One Nation parlimentarians only seem good for garnering headlines.

Since: Jul 08

Mars

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

I agree with him 100%. I was caned at school as kid and boy did it teach me respect for my teachers.

Kids today just think they can get away with whatever they want. Give em six of the best I say.

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

1

I was caned by a teacher. It made me hate his guts.

The only children afraid of a caning are those who are good anyway. The bad arsed little renegades they're worried about reining in are beyond corporal punishment.

Since: May 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 16, 2008
 
MP? Military Police?
You have Military Police at your schools??!
MrsBlueBalls

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 16, 2008
 
M4Pathfinder wrote:
MP? Military Police?
You have Military Police at your schools??!
MP stands for Member of Parliment

Since: Mar 07

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

All the cane taught me was a deep and abiding hatred for formal schooling, teachers and authority figures.

If a teacher ever strikes my child I will go to town on that F*#KER like you wouldn’t believe.
dee

Kellyville, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 16, 2008
 
My husband got the cane regularly along with many of his friends. All it did was to make them hate authority and teachers and learn to take pain without showing it. In fact, not showing pain became a point of honour.

They all thought the teachers involved got off on hitting kids.
Girl

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

1

That pervert just wants to see girl's bottoms!
Michael Jansen

Cyprus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 16, 2008
 

Judged:

2

I was caned at school and wish a belated thank you to the teachers who caned me. I had a very successful social and commercial career thanks to my disciplinary upbringing by my parents and school teachers.
dee

Kellyville, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 16, 2008
 
Girl wrote:
That pervert just wants to see girl's bottoms!
lol, now you sound like my husband!

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 17, 2008
 

Judged:

1

dee wrote:
My husband got the cane regularly along with many of his friends. All it did was to make them hate authority and teachers and learn to take pain without showing it. In fact, not showing pain became a point of honour.
They all thought the teachers involved got off on hitting kids.
Exactly - that's all I ever saw coming out of caning when I was a kid.

How are you going to respect and trust someone who hits you?

Since: Jul 08

Mars

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 17, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Of course I hated the teachers who caned me. But it made me tow the line and be careful not to get my arse whipped again.Looking at schools these days kids just seem to think that they can do whatever they want.

“SHOWING THE WAY”

Since: Jul 08

Heart Chambers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 17, 2008
 

Judged:

1

ngali wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly - that's all I ever saw coming out of caning when I was a kid.
How are you going to respect and trust someone who hits you?
Ngali do you feel insecure now because you were caned as a child? Better still do you have children? Do you know what is it like to rear children?

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 18, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Gold_Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
Ngali do you feel insecure now because you were caned as a child? Better still do you have children? Do you know what is it like to rear children?
I see what you're getting at GF, and no I'm not insecure as a result of being caned, and yes I turned out fine despite being caned - BUT -

I wasn't trying to suggest there would be irreperable damage done to a child, who is physically punished.

But all kids are different, who knows?

I was only caned once, by a bitter divorcee who was taking out his frustrations by bullying his students. I didn't deserve it, and even as a child I knew that. I played up - sure - as all kids do, I talked in class, I hid comic books inbetween the pages, I drew elaborate war scenes when I was supposed to be doing math problems - so what?

That teacher was allowed to use corporal punishment - so he did. For something EVERY kid in their right mind does.

I refused to ever attend his class again, and would walk out when he arrived to teach. Caused enough fuss for to get him in trouble with the front office after a while.

He also gave the cuts to a few other kids, who would cry uncontrollably, and were terrified of him. Maybe they had a few problems later on, who knows?

I don't know what it's like to raise kids, but I've taught a few. You can always tell the kids who are physically punished at home, and those who aren't. The tearaways are used to being hit and they're much harder to reach because you need to gain their trust first, and it's hard to do with limited time. They're more wilful, more defiant and they generally make it harder to teach the whole class.

Caning and corporal punishment isn't damaging per se (unless it's done over a protracted period), but it's counterproductive.

A teacher hits a kid - it makes a kid rebellious. A parent hits a kid - it makes a kid sneaky.
Joe

Springfield Gardens, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 18, 2008
 
It would make my job easier if they reintroduced this in the States. So many juvenile delinquents in NYC. I saw a fair number in Australia too. I am glad unlike Australian police, I could blow someone's head off if they sufficiently threatened me.
Rex

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 18, 2008
 
Joe wrote:
It would make my job easier if they reintroduced this in the States. So many juvenile delinquents in NYC. I saw a fair number in Australia too. I am glad unlike Australian police, I could blow someone's head off if they sufficiently threatened me.
I carry a medium lightweight chrome baseball bat in my car.

I have been close to using it.

Generally they just walk off anyway.

Still, i'm glad i've got backup.
M4pathfinder

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 18, 2008
 
Question wrote:
Can parents provoke thier children to anger?
Um, what do you think?
Oh, here is a prime example of that:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch...

I've studied profiling & have watched for years-criminal shows, documentaries, & all things of the like about why criminals do what they do & this guy blames most everything on his Mom.

“SHOWING THE WAY”

Since: Jul 08

Heart Chambers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 18, 2008
 
ngali wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you're getting at GF, and no I'm not insecure as a result of being caned, and yes I turned out fine despite being caned - BUT -
I wasn't trying to suggest there would be irreperable damage done to a child, who is physically punished.
But all kids are different, who knows?
I was only caned once, by a bitter divorcee who was taking out his frustrations by bullying his students. I didn't deserve it, and even as a child I knew that. I played up - sure - as all kids do, I talked in class, I hid comic books inbetween the pages, I drew elaborate war scenes when I was supposed to be doing math problems - so what?
That teacher was allowed to use corporal punishment - so he did. For something EVERY kid in their right mind does.
I refused to ever attend his class again, and would walk out when he arrived to teach. Caused enough fuss for to get him in trouble with the front office after a while.
He also gave the cuts to a few other kids, who would cry uncontrollably, and were terrified of him. Maybe they had a few problems later on, who knows?
I don't know what it's like to raise kids, but I've taught a few. You can always tell the kids who are physically punished at home, and those who aren't. The tearaways are used to being hit and they're much harder to reach because you need to gain their trust first, and it's hard to do with limited time. They're more wilful, more defiant and they generally make it harder to teach the whole class.
Caning and corporal punishment isn't damaging per se (unless it's done over a protracted period), but it's counterproductive.
A teacher hits a kid - it makes a kid rebellious. A parent hits a kid - it makes a kid sneaky.
Too involving to get into and as long as you turned out fine you be best not to complain

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Sep 19, 2008
 
I'm not complaining for myself, I just don't think it's at all helpful or smart to allow institutionalised physical punishment - in schools or the home.

“SHOWING THE WAY”

Since: Jul 08

Heart Chambers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 20, 2008
 
ngali wrote:
I'm not complaining for myself, I just don't think it's at all helpful or smart to allow institutionalised physical punishment - in schools or the home.
Strange how they always want to resort back to the old again don't you think? Seems that us oldies were not that old fashioned after all. Ask yourself why do they want to bring canning back again. Is the government going to rear our kids too and if so then Why? To be more brainwashed by instilling more fear for further control?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cairns, Australia Discussions

Search the Cairns, Australia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kiwis banned from joining Aussie Army (Apr '13) Jul 16 dontask 101
Australia's last 'tracker' Barry Port retires Jul 4 Big abo petrol sniffer 1
Gangs, booze and sex - 'ghetto' life in Australia Jun '14 _0rion_ 2
Mega resorts for Cairns, Gold Coast May '14 Doris McMorris 1
Australia says co-operation with Sri Lanka to p... Apr '14 Ding dong demala 9
Cyclone Ita set for landfall in Queensland as t... Apr '14 my bare bum 1
My Kitchen Rules recap: The Captain and Tennill... Feb '14 Gr0vvur0vvn 2
•••
•••