Economic downturn forces sacking appr...

Economic downturn forces sacking apprentices, Minister says

There are 12 comments on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Economic downturn forces sacking apprentices, Minister says. In it, Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports that:

Queensland Industry Minister Desley Boyle says companies across the state are sacking apprentices because of the economic downturn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Mr PHd

Australia

#1 Mar 19, 2009
About time these yobbo's were sacked, their infamy for poor work, lazyness and packing their ute's full of alcohol has finally paid off. Eventually they become a tradie, with their overpriced labour that forces the cost of new houses to rise it is great they out of work, the procreation of tradies is ceasing. Now the intellectuals may have a chance at building a smarter Australia rather than relying on government grovelling to the building industry.

“I Didn't Hit You”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 19, 2009
Tradies are actually important. We all know the stereotype you've mentioned above, but if I need an electrician or a plumber, I want to be able to hire one.

My uncle was an electrician for decades, he didn't drink on the job and took pride in his work.
Rex

Canberra, Australia

#3 Mar 19, 2009
Mr PHd wrote:
About time these yobbo's were sacked, their infamy for poor work, lazyness and packing their ute's full of alcohol has finally paid off. Eventually they become a tradie, with their overpriced labour that forces the cost of new houses to rise it is great they out of work, the procreation of tradies is ceasing. Now the intellectuals may have a chance at building a smarter Australia rather than relying on government grovelling to the building industry.
I love how you consistently use the word INTELLECTUALS in all your posts that you use different nicks for.

Do you think you are somehow more moralistic than others by referring to this word.

Did you only learn one word at UNI.

I suspect your an illegal who has overstayed their visa.

Ohhh, lookey here, i can use the word intellectual in a sentence too.

"You are an INTELLECTUAL F#CKWIT".
Mr PHd

Australia

#4 Mar 19, 2009
It's simple demand and supply, other area's of employment have had mass sackings, now it is their turn, so what, they can ride it out at home living with their parents, don't know what all the fuss is about, these people just use their money for beer and chicks. I guess they play a vital role supporting the local drug dealers, someone will say I'm stereo typing, but if the evidence supports it then .... AND TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT LOST THEIR JOBS AT PACIFIC AND EVERWHRE ELSE --> I am a consumer, many times have I been pissed off by not getting what I want because of strikes, too much striking, it is no wonder that factory owners have moved overseas. They spent millions on their factories and expect profit, good luck to their golden handshakes, after all, the people getting them worked overtime without pay without question, a salary. Too many worker are clock watchers and look for every excuse to cause disruption. Too many strikes have put other factories at risk, and have closed them down too. Apprentice trades people have a destructive mind set, slackness is their creed, then again, that is expected of the lower socioeconomic class.
Blanch

Australia

#5 Mar 19, 2009
I disagree, in an economic turndown competition is tougher, rather than risk apprentice standard work, a higher quality of work from the experienced tradie is used to ensure high standard and job retention. Other industries have been holding on to the more mature worker because they are more dedicated and follow through taking responsibility. Yeah, the economic downturn did cause some sackings back their fate was sealed a while ago due to this type of preference.
Dr PHd

Australia

#6 Mar 19, 2009
Oh No ! Tradies out of work ! Apprentice tradies out of work ! The country is doomed. We will see a rapid decline in the hair salon industry, no more tradies getting peroxide highlights, beer sales down, extasy labs up as tradies seek more bang per buck, we can only hope they adopt playstations to stop them wandering the streets at night getting up to no good.
"Many tradie I met, never could they read" CLETUS, the slack jawed yokel.
Dr PHd

Australia

#7 Mar 19, 2009
OH MY GOD, who is oing to buy all them there flanelette shirts ?

“Ngali”

Since: Jun 08

Perth

#8 Mar 19, 2009
Mr PHd wrote:
Ridiculous elitism - with sneering stereotyping to boot.

There's been a housing boom and strong growth in real estate and associated development for years in Australia - the market decided on the prices for skilled labour, which is exactly what tradies provide. The housing costs rose due to market speculation, and the availability of credit.

Ideally, Australia would be more of a technical/scientific service provider and producer of high end goods rather than our heavy reliance on what we can dig up, and grow - but every economy wil still need the population to support this market, and we'll always need tradesmen to play their part.

If you think 'intellectuals' will suddenly invert the basics of our economy because tradesmen are out of work then I don't think you can lay any claim to being one.
Dr PHd

Australia

#9 Mar 19, 2009
With more people being sacked the tradies are now being sacked, well, that to me says money should be injected to other areas so that they may grow and then the demand for tradies will return. It is like watering the earth that has no seeds in it.

Since: Feb 09

Australia

#10 Mar 19, 2009
Mr PHd wrote:
You make no sense.
Ute Master

Norlane, Australia

#11 Mar 20, 2009
sackings=carsforsale=moreutesf ormetobuy ergo sufferthetradieandapprentice

“A world full of hypocrites”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#12 Mar 20, 2009
All those Tradies will be absorbed into Victoria to rebuild the 2000 homes that were burnt.

After they finish that, they'll be so impressed with Victoria, they'll all want to live here, and so, another 10,000 homes will be required.

All I can see ahead for them is good times, lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairns, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
They live among you Jul '15 voodoo_friday 1
Cairns Music Thread (Dec '14) Jun '15 Musikologist 2
News Secret recordings of Labor election 'deal' May '15 Cath League of Du... 1
Talent Acquisition Apr '15 Tan 1
News Gay Mixed-HIV-Status Couple Study Has No Transm... Apr '15 Arbin Larfin 5
tanks Mar '15 Cheah 1
News Adam Koessler: Dad faces jail for giving dying ... (Jan '15) Feb '15 tiredoflies 2
More from around the web