Woman has sex change to avoid marriage

Woman has sex change to avoid marriage

There are 49 comments on the tools.cairns.com.au story from Jul 6, 2010, titled Woman has sex change to avoid marriage. In it, tools.cairns.com.au reports that:

A WOMAN lawyer in India had a sex change to save herself from a forced marriage by her family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at tools.cairns.com.au.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Nigeria

#46 Apr 9, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
This is so sad and sick. Sick that she was forced to change herself just to get basic human rights. From the articles I found, it sounds like she was probably a lesbian whose folks could not accept her, and thought maybe arranged marriage would "bring her around." But that does not "cure" gayness.
l like your idea, you are right, but our sex gender should not entail our social stratification in life...

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#47 Apr 9, 2011
When Do We Discuss Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
RELIGION causes this woman/now man to do what she did.
RELIGION causes the belief that being homosexual can be "cured"
RELIGION IS SH&T
Now who put you up to say all that? Just like religion is often brainwash, so can the irrational hatred of it be, and so can the unsolicited and un-elicited need to promote gayness. The article says nothing about gayness, and I don't see why it cannot be changed, since it is voluntary and offers no evolutionary purpose nor any practical benefit, and I see no reason for you to feel defensive or compelled to bring it up. Sex outside of procreation has no constructive purpose, and it doesn't take religion to reach that understanding. It is similar to smoking. Smoking is only designed to cause cancer and waste money, and I see no benefit in either.

I believe gayness is a social construct, much like feminists say that gender is. If it is a social construct over and above heterosexuality, then it can be unlearned. The biggest issue is that nobody sees a purpose in unlearning it. Once you train your mind a certain way, or learn certain habits, it takes an even bigger investment of energy to take a different path. At any rate, we are all responsible for our own feelings and particularly, actions. Some people just mistake unwanted or irrational thoughts for an entire identity.

There are gay folks who say gayness is chosen and that anyone unable to be bi suffers impairment, saying that every person should be able to experience the full range of homosexuality, and that if they can't, they are broken.

http://www.queerbychoice.com

Gayle at that site believes gayness can be chosen, and that saying so actually does not impact the fight for gay rights, since bigots believe it is inborn and saying it is inborn has never stopped Fred Phelps who believes they can never change, nor Dr. Laura who called them freaks of nature. So both held essentialist views just like most gays hold. The ones who believe otherwise believe it is not only a choice, but an excellent and noble choice worthy of suffering for. Of course, she qualifies what she means by choice, saying that it is not always a full choice, and rarely one where a person gets up one morning and says, "You know what, I want to become queer today." I only know of maybe 2 cases of that.

I also know of a spontaneous reversal resulting in many years of happy heterosexual marriage, and maybe a couple cases of orientation change after head injury. And lets not rule out the value of even partial change. Like what if someone is less likely to need to act upon their gay thoughts. I don't mean repressed, but get so much out of the encounters that they can go for a long time without them?

And the most unusual reversal case was where 2 lesbians both decided independently that their lesbianism wasn't right. They stopped the sex between them but continued living together as best friends and roommates. Then they were able to eliminate the physical independence of them, and eventually resolved the underlying issues that pushed them into lesbianism.

At any rate, people should be allowed to set independent goals for themselves, create their own dreams, and be allowed to try for them, without others trying to block them or interfere. If a person wants to change sex for their own reasons, let them, and if they want to change their orientation in either direction, let them. It is *THEIR* life, and we need to stop trying to selfishly determine what we think is best for others.

Plum, Purplonia

#48 Apr 9, 2011
<quoted text>
RELIGION IS SH&T
Okay, in my previous reply to this post, I forgot that I brought up orientation first. So you might want to disregard some of my first comments.

Plum, Purplonia

#49 Apr 9, 2011
Israelogbu wrote:
<quoted text>
l like your idea, you are right, but our sex gender should not entail our social stratification in life...
I am not quite sure what you are trying to say, but I am sure we shouldn't form our personal identities around the beliefs and ideas of others. If you are gay or hetero, it should be because that is how you see yourself, and without peer pressure or coaching to get there.

“Barbie Doll Queen”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#50 Apr 9, 2011
<quoted text>
RELIGION IS SH&T
All religion sucks

Plum, Purplonia

#51 Apr 9, 2011
Mrs-Jessica-D wrote:
<quoted text>All religion sucks
Only the sexual-based ones... LOL!

“Barbie Doll Queen”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#52 Apr 9, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Only the sexual-based ones... LOL!
Yes agree and people are born gay no matter what they say phooy on them

Plum, Purplonia

#53 Apr 9, 2011
Here are the lyrics to a relevant song:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/romanovsky...

A number of their songs are based on historical facts, like this part of this one:

Now Michael was entertaining a guest
When the officer walked right in and made the arrest
Who would have thought that the courts would uphold
An archaic law that's a hundred years old
---

That part refers to the court case Bowers v. Hardwick. Michael Hardwick, who was referenced in the above song snippet, threw a beer bottle outside a gay bar. He may have missed the trash can, but picked the bottle up and put it in the trash. Some have speculated that the ticket the officer gave him was for littering, but it was actually for public intoxication. The police officer wrote the wrong date on the ticket, and Hardwick didn't show up for court. So a bench warrant was issued. When Hardwick realized the date was wrong, he went to the court and paid his fine.

Now, the officer showed up to arrest Hardwick. There is some disagreement as to whether the front door was already wide open, or if a guest napping on his couch with a hangover let the officer in. That would be the guest referred to in the song. Then the officer tiptoes back to the bedroom where the door was slightly ajar, and found Michael Hardwick and another man engaging in oral sex. The officer then arrested both men for sodomy under Georgia law. Being a felony, the charge would have to have been presented to the grand jury before indicting him, but the local DA declined and threw the case out.

Then Hardwick decided to sue Michael Bowers, the state's attorney general. That was how the ACLU got involved. The lower federal court sided with the state, while the 11th circuit court reversed the decision and decided in Hardwick's favor. Then in 1986, the Supreme Court reversed the decision again and sided with the State of Georgia. Of course, that was not the end of it, since Lawrence v. Texas reversed the decision again in 2003. Back when Hardwick was decided, Roe v. Wade was not considered to be on stable legal ground, so Bowers v. Hardiwck contradicted the notion of the 14th Amendment being a basis of privacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_v._Hardwi...

Plum, Purplonia

#55 Apr 9, 2011
Mrs-Jessica-D wrote:
<quoted text>Yes agree and people are born gay no matter what they say phooy on them
Nobody is born gay. It may be a predisposition, but nobody is ever born gay no matter what you say, and if you respect me, you will respect my permanent and immutable belief on this, and my own diversity. Anyone who says anyone is born gay is brainwashed and has no concept of science or human decency. Many gays take responsibility for their lives and actions, and I applaud them.

And you and I are not friendship material, so don't go around pretending to be my friend when you have no sense of loyalty for the things I hold most dear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cairns, Australia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming may increase odds of unprecedent... Sep 1 SpaceBlues 1
They live among you Jul '15 voodoo_friday 1
Cairns Music Thread (Dec '14) Jun '15 Musikologist 2
News Secret recordings of Labor election 'deal' May '15 Cath League of Du... 1
Talent Acquisition Apr '15 Tan 1
News Gay Mixed-HIV-Status Couple Study Has No Transm... (Mar '15) Apr '15 Arbin Larfin 4
tanks Mar '15 Cheah 1
More from around the web