71,000 Ga. Children to Lose Dental Care

Full story: WXIA Atlanta

A dental care provider for underserved children in Georgia said Monday that up to 71,000 low-income children will lose dental care by the end of August when two managed care organizations end their contracts ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Blondie

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Aug 7, 2007
 
Mitchy wrote:
From the looks of things... and from the comments I've read in this forum... some of you guys, need more than an tooth brush and tooth paste.... you sound like a bunch of idiots... who really don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.... I happen to work in an office that accepts medicaid for kids... and 91% of the parents are working parents... with individual single medical and dental benefits ..... but cannot afford to have the high cost of having their employers deduct family premimums from their paychecks each pay period.... Absolutely NO one can foresee the future.... so every case is different... some parents need assistance due to divorce, job loss, financial hardship, and some had children out of wedlock, and some employers don't offer benefits.... so a lot of your comments are stereotypical... one sided... and full of nonsense.... and for the record... a lot of you mention medicare as providing dental work... medicare does not cover dental in no way shape or form..... so before you type your idiotic comments..... at least have your facts straight, because you know what they say ... when you assume something.... you end up resembling that thing you sit on. And yes, their are some that have had unexpected pregnacies... and knew they could not afford to bring a child into the world.... which is why they had abortions or gave kids up for adoption..... and their are some who thought that they had promising marriages or relationships and where left to raised their kids along..... so please, if you haven't walked in their shoes.... DON'T try them on. Be careful what you allow to come out of your mouth, because those same words... shall come back to haunt you. Are you wondering why you always have bad luck.... take a walk down memory lane. If you say... I've always had it easy... well.. it won't last, because you reap what you sow.... If nothing bad happens to you... then it will touch someone close to you.. peace out my brothers and sisters... Now behave
AMEN!! I also work in a office that accepts pt's on Medicaid. Most of our parents are working moms and dads that can not afford regular ins. The children are the ones that are going to be hurt by this so the State can make a little money. It's a shame that people no longer have a heart in today's society.
insider

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Aug 8, 2007
 
There are a wide variety of individuals who benefit from Medicaid. Just as someone else stated, don't be so stereotypical. Many of the parents who come to Kool Smiles are Grandparents who just received custody or foster parents who are required to bring these children in for dental check-ups and receive any dental work needed. These children are innocent individuals who deserve the care just like anyone else. Without a company like Kool Smiles who accepts Medicaid patients as the majority, there is nowhere else for many of them to turn to. I worked for several dentists who only accept a percentage of Medicaid patients and many who do not accept it at all. Without the resource available, these children will not get the services they need.
xyz atlanta

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Aug 8, 2007
 
Did my previous comment get deleted. I wonder why. Maybe someone should look at the finances of these people who run this business. I bet you would be suprised on how much money they make on government aid. Do not be fooled, they are not in it for the kids but for themselves.
VA Doctor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Aug 9, 2007
 
Again, "xyz atlanta" is correct and also the "insider". These children NEED the care and as a Dentist, I want to give the best possible care. I joined Kool Smiles because I wanted to only be concerned about the children dental health. Yes, I also need an income but not at the sake of taking direction on completing dental treatments from an un-licensed, profit hungry, corporate executive that has no prior experience with healthcare. Someone needs to investigate this company, especially all the other offices in the various states which are functioning in the same manner as Georgia. This is much bigger than anyone other than the Kool Smile corporate executives know. If you are only worried about your "tax dollars" - that would be the biggest and easiest "fix" to a lot of this problem. The children WILL be taken care of, their are dentist that will see them, as long as "their parent/guaridian" will bring them to us.
ATLguru

Ventura, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Aug 9, 2007
 
Then reform the system or go after the company and find proof of these allegations against Kool Smiles. Dont just cut them off and then give no explenation. by the way the insurance companies have never ever said, they are cutting off KS because of the quality of care. They are doing it for "Business" reasons. That means they are trying to make more profit.
xyz atlanta

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Aug 9, 2007
 
Why are the owed an explanation? It sounds like they believe that they are entitled to the millions of dollars they have been receiving from the gov't.
Robert T

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Aug 9, 2007
 
As a taxpayer, I am more than happy for some of my tax dollars to go towards healthcare for children as well as poor adults. I wish our lawmakers would realize that.

Since: Aug 07

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Aug 10, 2007
 
Robert T wrote:
As a taxpayer, I am more than happy for some of my tax dollars to go towards healthcare for children as well as poor adults. I wish our lawmakers would realize that.
They do. The problem is that they want more of my tax dollars to entitle more. Enough is enough.

Since: Aug 07

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Aug 10, 2007
 
VA Doctor wrote:
Again, "xyz atlanta" is correct and also the "insider". These children NEED the care and as a Dentist, I want to give the best possible care. I joined Kool Smiles because I wanted to only be concerned about the children dental health. Yes, I also need an income but not at the sake of taking direction on completing dental treatments from an un-licensed, profit hungry, corporate executive that has no prior experience with healthcare. Someone needs to investigate this company, especially all the other offices in the various states which are functioning in the same manner as Georgia. This is much bigger than anyone other than the Kool Smile corporate executives know. If you are only worried about your "tax dollars" - that would be the biggest and easiest "fix" to a lot of this problem. The children WILL be taken care of, their are dentist that will see them, as long as "their parent/guaridian" will bring them to us.
so doctor, why not have your own practice where the charges cover the actual costs instead of the screwy government controlled system we are in now? with market competetion, charges would be where most patients could afford them on their own, instead of asking their employer or neighbor (via taxes) to pay for them. there would always be the dentists who 'just wanted to help people' who would do charity care for the truly poor.
Bill

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Aug 10, 2007
 
The point here is not about illegal or legal, or white, black or yellow is about Kool Smiles' Medicaid contract has been terminated. Somebody know the reason?
Kool Smiles Advocate

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Aug 15, 2007
 
Let me start by stating that several of the comments which I have read are completely ridiculous, unprofessional, and from those who, obviously, do not have children seeking dental treatment at Kool Smiles. The Kool Smiles experience for children is very positive. For those that believe children are treated "unfairly" at Kool Smiles, I challenge them to go work in a pediatric practice and be successful with managing children who come in with preconceived notions instilled by their parents that the dentist is "bad". I have witnessed several parents who are in our waiting room tell their children things like "the dentist is going to pull all of your teeth out because you don't brush them at home". Would that scare a small child? Without hesitation I can indeed answer "yes". In addition, a child would be more at risk for being completely sedated for a routine cleaning which typically takes about fifteen minutes at most. Furthermore, many children that present with a fear of dentists can often be talked to and shown what is going to be done and their fears are released. In working with state funded dental plans for nearly 11 years now, I can say with confidence that these "cuts" are being made purely to allocate funds elsewhere. I believe that taking Kool Smiles from children is an attempt by these state funded plans to simply keep more money in their pockets. If Kool Smiles did not exist, thousands of children would be forced to seek care at facilities which are not as large as Kool Smiles and are not as accomodating. As a parent, the frustration of making a dental appointment for a child and having to wait up to six months is nothing less than ridiculous. With Kool Smiles they are able to accomodate my children in a matter of days of the initial call. Why would you take this away from children? I say, take the funds from somewhere else!
employee

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Aug 16, 2007
 
It's sad to read so many negative comments, people who work for the public must know that it is impossible to please everybody, but with so many clinics in our company it's obvious things are being done very well, that we all work hard is true, but success means hard work and we get pay for all the hours, I honestly believe that all this has to do with professional jelousy or competition.
Opinionated

Dalton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Aug 16, 2007
 
My child is on WELL CARE through PEACH CARE. I pay monthly premiums for this. No one seems to know that for some reason. I think it's awefull that I pay premiums on something I won't get to use. My benefits are decreasing.. my premiums aren't. Yep, the American way!
Outsider

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Aug 16, 2007
 
employee wrote:
It's sad to read so many negative comments, people who work for the public must know that it is impossible to please everybody, but with so many clinics in our company it's obvious things are being done very well, that we all work hard is true, but success means hard work and we get pay for all the hours, I honestly believe that all this has to do with professional jelousy or competition.
I would have to agree with this comment. Most comments negative comments poseted seems to have alot of personal agendas behind it. Here you have a great company that is driven with compassion to tend to these children's dental health. Yes, most parents are to blame for their children's dental health, but most dont have any knowledge about dental health. And then there's dental companies, such as Koolsmiles that not only treat and teach these children, they also teach their parents to carry on the oral health instructions, which is very remarkable. So why drop a provider that is making a difference in our communities?
constructive work please

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Aug 16, 2007
 
The reason for termination of contract is a business reason,bottom line if there is less places for KIDS to go ,then probably you wont go,and if you dont go the insurance company saves money.who is effected finally are USA kids.The are decreasing access to care-plain greediness by HMO Companies.
Bill wrote:
The point here is not about illegal or legal, or white, black or yellow is about Kool Smiles' Medicaid contract has been terminated. Somebody know the reason?
TTT

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Aug 16, 2007
 
It is not just single parents out there. There are couples out there. Families where both are working and still do not meet the daily norm to provide for their children. Families where one of the parent is laid off because the employer decides to cut back on expenses. So don't just think that single parents are the only family out there that needs dental for their children. Not only that, you have grandparents raising their grand children, due to a unfortunate circumstances (i.e. both parents are deceased, etc), so yes dental plan is needed for the children.
larry wrote:
I worked all of my adult life and always had medical ins coverage..never dental..it was and is out of pocket...now I did not work at high paying jobs and still never got help on my medical ins..so why should a bunch of kids that were born to the so called single parent who just hapened to lay down with "her man" for a little fun and a plan to gain more welfare, get any help with dental. Like the one poster said buy a tooth brush and tooth paste..these people that have been carried by the system are just lazy and will never try to provid for themselves or theirs as long as "big brother" forks out the cash for their ills. Let them take care of their own and if they can't..well I guess the kids will have to learn to eat oat meal and scrambled eggs..that is their problem..they created it let them live with it....tuff.
ex- employee from Virgina

Cartersville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Aug 18, 2007
 
xyz atlanta wrote:
Did my previous comment get deleted. I wonder why. Maybe someone should look at the finances of these people who run this business. I bet you would be suprised on how much money they make on government aid. Do not be fooled, they are not in it for the kids but for themselves.
Kool Smiles do not care about the kids. It is all about the money. They run a sweat shop for kids. The work work their to death. All the executive get the money from the dental offices. They see 11 kids(age 1-20) every 45 minutes with 3 hygienist. The doctor see 5 to 7 kids every 45 minutes with 2 to 3 doctor.
CCK

Lagrange, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Aug 21, 2007
 
Here's the real truth behind the Kool Smiles dental factory. I, like many other new grads, went to work for Kool Smiles because they offer great salary and benefits packages and their literature makes them out to be the good samaritans of the dental industry. As I found out very quickly, they are not who they say they are. I was promised pediatric training. The only training I received was watching one of the partner dentists papoose a screaming child and told me it was best to ignore the noise and get the work done. Oh yeah, and they made you join the Academy of pediatric dentistry. Surely that makes the dentists there more qualified. The management team would come in to the offices when we had a slow week and meet with us individually. If you weren't producing enough money per child, the said you weren't doing enough work on each child and you needed to pick up the pace. What was I supposed to do? Create cavities!! Why don't you ask the kids if they are sad Kool Smiles is closing. I'm sure they couldn't be happier to avoid the torture of being held against their will. The bottom line is that parents should be taking responsibility and learning how to take care of their kid's health. It isn't rocket science. Brush their teeth and don't shove a bottle in their mouth and put them to bed. It's not that hard!!!
damian

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Aug 21, 2007
 
CCK wrote:
Here's the real truth behind the Kool Smiles dental factory. I, like many other new grads, went to work for Kool Smiles because they offer great salary and benefits packages and their literature makes them out to be the good samaritans of the dental industry. As I found out very quickly, they are not who they say they are. I was promised pediatric training. The only training I received was watching one of the partner dentists papoose a screaming child and told me it was best to ignore the noise and get the work done. Oh yeah, and they made you join the Academy of pediatric dentistry. Surely that makes the dentists there more qualified. The management team would come in to the offices when we had a slow week and meet with us individually. If you weren't producing enough money per child, the said you weren't doing enough work on each child and you needed to pick up the pace. What was I supposed to do? Create cavities!! Why don't you ask the kids if they are sad Kool Smiles is closing. I'm sure they couldn't be happier to avoid the torture of being held against their will. The bottom line is that parents should be taking responsibility and learning how to take care of their kid's health. It isn't rocket science. Brush their teeth and don't shove a bottle in their mouth and put them to bed. It's not that hard!!!
Congratulations on seeing through the smoke screen that Kool Smiles has created..."ignore the screaming child" typical Kool Smiles management
GETITGIRL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Aug 23, 2007
 
i am so glad Koolsmiles got to go back home.they r no good.i worked there a long time and i would tell the parents to leave if they want to make the kids happy.i now work at a good new office in cobb co.children are always happy here where i am.i got fired cause i was questioned office manager sandra ahed why she was bringing all her foreign adult realatives in all the time to get work on.she was also destroying files,stealing patient money,dental supplies washing her clothes and doing strange things.when i ask her things shesaid she was part owner and she help start the company she tell everybody that.i had nobody to tell. she didn't like me and fire me.dr.duning did very bad things to kids 3 times then koolsmile move him to another clinic.these people are crazy.i still work for a doctor who got fired also he work where i work now.these things i say are just a little thing what go on there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Atlanta Forum right now

Search the Atlanta Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Farrakhan: Black men headed for extinction (Oct '07) 1 hr Sadbuttrue 1,080
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr Truth 49,300
Georgia Attorney General Wants Same-Sex Marriag... 3 hr God 2
Rap is Decadence in the Fast Lane 5 hr Culture Auditor 1
This Week In Atlanta: Live music options for yo... 7 hr sandiey 1
Is Ben Hasan A Drug Dealer? 8 hr Mcnimara 1
removal of silicone from body 10 hr teresa76 230
•••
•••

Atlanta News Video

•••
•••

Atlanta Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Atlanta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Atlanta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Atlanta
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••