71,000 Ga. Children to Lose Dental Care

Full story: WXIA Atlanta

A dental care provider for underserved children in Georgia said Monday that up to 71,000 low-income children will lose dental care by the end of August when two managed care organizations end their contracts ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 104 Comments Last updated Jun 3, 2008
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Alan

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 6, 2007
 
It's not just lower class people who are suffering. Our entire healthcare system is out of control. Maybe it's time to put controls on the drug companies and the healthcare industry altogether.
wheeljc

Fayetteville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 6, 2007
 
Please excuse me, but when did dental care become an entitlement? Can remember having to work two jobs and on weekend to provide my kids dental care and braces. For Pete's sake, can the government just take care of roads and security of its population rather than trying to be a NANNY to all? No wonder the population does not think of its own future!! The government attempts to convey an image that it can do it all -- at taxpayer's expense of course!!

Find that the government does very little in the excellent category today -- education being one of them -- because they try to be everything to every body all of the time. This just blows my mind!!
kcl

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 6, 2007
 
Alan wrote:
It's not just lower class people who are suffering. Our entire healthcare system is out of control. Maybe it's time to put controls on the drug companies and the healthcare industry altogether.
I have to agree here. Things are getting way out of hand not just for low income families but for everyone. I'm a singlemom w/2 kids and it's hard just paying the premium plus what insurance DOESN'T cover anymore. You really have to think - "am I really sick enough to go to the doctor" or "do I really need this test done that the dr wants me to have done"?
ybnorman

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 6, 2007
 
...the cavities you prevent today will be the dentures you won't have to buy tomorrow...you see my point?
Help those that need help with small problems to hopefully prevent larger ones...pennies instead of dollars..
BBD

Chatsworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 6, 2007
 
Sounds like a deal gone bad. Maybe KoolSmilesought to control its costs and manage its margins to meet the market demands of its business plan.--IT shouldn;t be going to the public with its inabilituies to meet competitive pricing targets that apparently dental providers with more diversified earnings are able to meet. KoolSmiles screwed up when it chose to make a zero-margin product the focus of its business. Apparently Dentists aren;t required to take economics or accounting.
Don;t get me wrong here, I'm all for taking care of kids dental needs. But, the KoolSmiles plan was doomed to fail from the start -any sophomore business student could spot that. Shame on the financial institution that funded such a misguided plan!
US Marine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 6, 2007
 
I bet the roaches (illegal immigrants) wont have a problem, Ga caters to them as well a the US gov
Atlguru

Ventura, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 6, 2007
 
Those two insurance companies are putting 70 thousand children out o dental care. Just because they want to save a few dollars. Ridiculous and appalling. Something needs to done.
BBD

Housatonic, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 6, 2007
 
Im not so smart
Richard Remley

Jacksonville Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 6, 2007
 
I agree with wheeljc.

Since: Jul 07

Mableton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 6, 2007
 
wheeljc wrote:
Please excuse me, but when did dental care become an entitlement?
No kidding! If a person can't afford a toothbrush and some toothpaste why in the world did they have a baby?!

Take care of your kid, it is YOURS after all.
Michelle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 6, 2007
 
Perhaps the suthor should hire a fact checker, or beg the question to Kool Smiles: "Why are the contracts not being renewed?" The answer will not reflect well on Kool Smiles: They over-submit claims for shoddy dental care. Most times, children receiving services from Kool Smiles, a GENERAL DENTAL practice mind you, not pediatric dentists, require treatment to correct what Kool Smiles has done. Their practice was audited like every other provider under those CMO's- why do you think they are one of the only ones being dropped?
Atlguru

Ventura, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 6, 2007
 
Kool smiles is the only provider that specifies to children on medicaid and medicare. The only reason these insurance companies are dropping them is to save a small amount of cash.
it works like this. The state gives money to the government to provide dental care. The money thengoes to the insurance companies. They have the option to re-imburse whatever medical costs dental wise that children get. If the children dont go, the money then goes to the insurance companies as profit. Children go to Kool smiles because they are the only providers. No other dental providers in GA will take medicair. So essentially the strategy is they cut off the contract to kool smiles, children dont go to dental care, the insurance reeps the profit. Easy equation.
Hey I dont like medicare or medicaid. I dont like gov involvment at all, parents should provide. But this is just wrong. Not just wrong but stealing. A case of greed. I dont like it, just let the children go to where they please instead of pocketing the moneyt like vultures.
high flyer

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 6, 2007
 
This is dispicable wrote:
Those two insurance companies are putting 70 thousand children out o dental care. Just because they want to save a few dollars. Ridiculous and appalling. Something needs to done.
They're not "insurance companies" per se, but government entitlement programs (i.e. WELFARE) for people who will not work. Buy your own insurance and brush your teeth and you won't have so many problems. Geesh.
high flyer

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 6, 2007
 
wheeljc wrote:
Please excuse me, but when did dental care become an entitlement? Can remember having to work two jobs and on weekend to provide my kids dental care and braces. For Pete's sake, can the government just take care of roads and security of its population rather than trying to be a NANNY to all? No wonder the population does not think of its own future!! The government attempts to convey an image that it can do it all -- at taxpayer's expense of course!!
Find that the government does very little in the excellent category today -- education being one of them -- because they try to be everything to every body all of the time. This just blows my mind!!
Amen. GET A JOB- MAKE PROPER CHOICES. DON'T EXPECT THE "GOVERNMENT" TO SOLVE YOUR EVERY PROBLEM. HOLY COW -- WHAT ELSE DO WORTHLESS NON-WORKING PEOPLE EXPECT?
high flyer

Carrollton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 6, 2007
 
Alan wrote:
It's not just lower class people who are suffering. Our entire healthcare system is out of control. Maybe it's time to put controls on the drug companies and the healthcare industry altogether.
Drug companies are private enterprises. Our country operates as a capitalistic society. Be glad of this -- otherwise no improvements, innovations, or discoveries would be made.
larry

Twinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 6, 2007
 
I worked all of my adult life and always had medical ins coverage..never dental..it was and is out of pocket...now I did not work at high paying jobs and still never got help on my medical ins..so why should a bunch of kids that were born to the so called single parent who just hapened to lay down with "her man" for a little fun and a plan to gain more welfare, get any help with dental. Like the one poster said buy a tooth brush and tooth paste..these people that have been carried by the system are just lazy and will never try to provid for themselves or theirs as long as "big brother" forks out the cash for their ills. Let them take care of their own and if they can't..well I guess the kids will have to learn to eat oat meal and scrambled eggs..that is their problem..they created it let them live with it....tuff.
Mitchy

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 6, 2007
 
Max wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no god. Get it through your head.
Btw , who cares if low income kids lose dental. Its wasted on them anyway. Low income people commit too many crimes. so why give dental to future criminals?
You sound like you don't even have damn tooth in your measly head... not to mention a brain.... crawl back under the rock from whence thy came.... lol
Mitchy

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 6, 2007
 
From the looks of things... and from the comments I've read in this forum... some of you guys, need more than an tooth brush and tooth paste.... you sound like a bunch of idiots... who really don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.... I happen to work in an office that accepts medicaid for kids... and 91% of the parents are working parents... with individual single medical and dental benefits ..... but cannot afford to have the high cost of having their employers deduct family premimums from their paychecks each pay period.... Absolutely NO one can foresee the future.... so every case is different... some parents need assistance due to divorce, job loss, financial hardship, and some had children out of wedlock, and some employers don't offer benefits.... so a lot of your comments are stereotypical... one sided... and full of nonsense.... and for the record... a lot of you mention medicare as providing dental work... medicare does not cover dental in no way shape or form..... so before you type your idiotic comments..... at least have your facts straight, because you know what they say ... when you assume something.... you end up resembling that thing you sit on. And yes, their are some that have had unexpected pregnacies... and knew they could not afford to bring a child into the world.... which is why they had abortions or gave kids up for adoption..... and their are some who thought that they had promising marriages or relationships and where left to raised their kids along..... so please, if you haven't walked in their shoes.... DON'T try them on. Be careful what you allow to come out of your mouth, because those same words... shall come back to haunt you. Are you wondering why you always have bad luck.... take a walk down memory lane. If you say... I've always had it easy... well.. it won't last, because you reap what you sow.... If nothing bad happens to you... then it will touch someone close to you.. peace out my brothers and sisters... Now behave
GSXR1000Guy

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 6, 2007
 
I am what some may call a compassionate person. Kids in need did not ask to be here, so it's not the kid's fault. However, it is not my responsibility to take care of your kids. My last job gave me great benefits, pension, health insurance, but no dental. I went out and bought my own dental insurance for a whopping $40 a month. At that time I made less than $30k per year, with a mortgage and a car payment. So, I went out and got a part-time job. In no way am I implying that I'm better than anyone else out there. As a black man, I get upset when I see such programs, not that they don't do good things, but they teach generations to become dependent upon the government for life's needs. Programs intended to help people when they were down and out are now becoming life sustaining.
Mitchy

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 6, 2007
 
GSXR1000Guy wrote:
I am what some may call a compassionate person. Kids in need did not ask to be here, so it's not the kid's fault. However, it is not my responsibility to take care of your kids. My last job gave me great benefits, pension, health insurance, but no dental. I went out and bought my own dental insurance for a whopping $40 a month. At that time I made less than $30k per year, with a mortgage and a car payment. So, I went out and got a part-time job. In no way am I implying that I'm better than anyone else out there. As a black man, I get upset when I see such programs, not that they don't do good things, but they teach generations to become dependent upon the government for life's needs. Programs intended to help people when they were down and out are now becoming life sustaining.
Very intelligent comment: And I do agree, with you on the fact that there are some that just make it their way of life... There are excellent alternatives such as your $40 per month plan... and it covers you and your family... it sounds like a plan that we accept as well in the office that I work in.... I've learned the hard way.... to not judge another person of their short comings. I am a single (divorced) black parent as well... who once used the government for assistance years ago, but I only used it to get through my dilemma.... you talking about someone that was embarrassed to go thru the checkout line with food stamps and such, because that was not the way I was raised.... we were raised to work for our living. I do believe that the system is being abused by some, but not by all. I used it for approximately 4-5 months until I found a job... I was a house wife who never worked, my ex-husband was the bread winner... so I had to do something quick, because I refused to move back in with my parents or live off the system.... I'm just not that kind of person. But others this is all they know to do.... and as a result their kids start having kids and they are led to believe it's normal. Even though I know this to be true.... who am I to judge? rule of thumb... Never play God about anything. Which is why I keep to myself and mind my own business.... I have to many problems of my own... to be worried about what's going on next door or down the street.... like the saying goes.... sweep around your own back door...before you try to sweep around mine...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Atlanta Forum right now

Search the Atlanta Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 52 min aint nobody got time 18,728
Why White Guys Like Asian Girls (May '12) 12 hr sara 317
Topix is the government's lapdog 14 hr Lapdog 1
Debate: Ferguson - Atlanta, GA 15 hr Roudy The Second 7
Live Reports From Ferguson on KMOX 1120 At Night 16 hr Yankees Rule 2
ARC: metro Atlanta population hits nearly 4.3M Mon Doctor Know 2
Five Reasons Why Obama Is A Good President (Jun '11) Mon Obskeptic 8,355
•••
•••

Atlanta News Video

•••
Atlanta Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Atlanta Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Atlanta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Atlanta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Atlanta
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••