18-Wheeler Accident Shuts Down Inters...

18-Wheeler Accident Shuts Down Interstate

There are 25 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Feb 24, 2008, titled 18-Wheeler Accident Shuts Down Interstate. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

An overturned 18-wheeler carrying diesel fuel has shut down I-285 East near the Old Dixie Road exit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GCPD 845

Warwick, RI

#1 Feb 24, 2008
ohhhhh how I miss atlanta traffic soooo...
JIm

Moultrie, GA

#2 Feb 24, 2008
From time to time, I go to Atlanta and the traffic is usually stopped by something.

I guess today is just more of the same.
wondering lady

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Feb 24, 2008
i'll take Atlanta traffic over that mess of snow, ice, and sleet you Yankees have up there. If the Yankees would stay up North, we would not have the traffic congestion we have. So --- sorry you miss the Atlanta traffic --- we do NOT miss you and your vehicle. Sure hope no one was injured in this accident.

Since: Feb 08

Lexington, KY

#5 Feb 24, 2008
speaking as a professional driver or rather an ex professional driver i'd have to say the big truck didn't cause the accident which should be reported 99.9 percent of accidents involving semi's are because some a**hole four wheeler was in to big a hurry and cut them off. regardless i hope the driver is ok and will pray for his or her recovery
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#6 Feb 24, 2008
These trucks should have to make their deliveries at night time, especially when they carry any kind of hazardless waste or chemicals. There is an accident with a big rig every single day without failure and ties up traffic for hours. These trucks have to move our goods but it would be much better to do it at night time in the metro area This expressway (joke) was tied up for four hours, how many lost flights, appointments missed, gas wasted, nerves shot, people hurt, and then the clean up. As long as we have 5 million race car drivers that insist in cutting off the trucks and blocking them we will have this craziness.
GCPD 845

Warwick, RI

#7 Feb 24, 2008
wondering lady wrote:
i'll take Atlanta traffic over that mess of snow, ice, and sleet you Yankees have up there. If the Yankees would stay up North, we would not have the traffic congestion we have. So --- sorry you miss the Atlanta traffic --- we do NOT miss you and your vehicle. Sure hope no one was injured in this accident.
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA... ok there ma kettle ... ever seen the movie Sorted Lives?? maybe you should take a gander there maam
GCPD 845

Warwick, RI

#8 Feb 24, 2008
48 or 49th in the country for education?? i dunno, Ill get back to "yall"
ageofpaper

Atlanta, GA

#9 Feb 24, 2008
GCPD 845 wrote:
48 or 49th in the country for education?? i dunno, Ill get back to "yall"
So you miss the Atlanta traffic so and the schools they sure be a mess, ah I noticed that you wrote how you missed it here, what school in these here parts did you attend? And donít you worry about our schools cause our righteous Governor is going to pray to make them better. Ah right after he prays for more rain, better traffic, and making abortion illegal. SO THERE
Gary

Lilburn, GA

#10 Feb 24, 2008
Another Semi Truck Accident on our interstate!

When is somebody going to slow these monsters down? Careful truck drivers driving 55 MPH don't have these kind of problems. JBHunt and a few others are the only truckers that seem to care anymore! Most drive like ther are in a sports car .... and we wonder why we have an accident per day with semi Trucks involved?

Slow down the truckers.... and a lot of the other traffic too!
Honest American

Atlanta, GA

#11 Feb 24, 2008
Jwhite215 wrote:
speaking as a professional driver or rather an ex professional driver i'd have to say the big truck didn't cause the accident which should be reported 99.9 percent of accidents involving semi's are because some a**hole four wheeler was in to big a hurry and cut them off. regardless i hope the driver is ok and will pray for his or her recovery
As a current professional driver, I must agree with you. I drve in Atl. on a very regular basis, and there is hardly ever a time when a 4 wheeler doesn't cut me off.
Maybe we should start following these four wheel drivers to their office and interfering with them while they work... just a thought.
hopefully the driver is well.
Honest American

Atlanta, GA

#12 Feb 24, 2008
Gary wrote:
When is somebody going to slow these monsters down? Careful truck drivers driving 55 MPH don't have these kind of problems. JBHunt and a few others are the only truckers that seem to care anymore! Most drive like ther are in a sports car .... and we wonder why we have an accident per day with semi Trucks involved?
Slow down...sure everyone could slow down in heavy traffic but no-one does. As a prof. drive i do my best to pace with traffic, which in my opinion is much safer than being a "rolling road block". Driving to slow, or slower than the flow of traffic is just as if not more dangerous than speeding. Why do I say this? Let me answer that with a question...What do you do when you get behind a slow driver? Chances are you dart out from behind them cutting someone else off and possibly causing an accident.
If everyone would take the time to be considerate and be a little more patient many accidents would be avoided.
Being from the Atlanta area, you may remember a few months back a trucker was killed on 285 when he was cut off by a little red sports car that was speeding and weaving through traffic. All that driver did was try to avoid an accident and ended up getting killed because of some jerk in his "hot rod".
Dont always blame the trucks, four wheelers are just as guilty!

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Wesley Chapel, FL

#14 Feb 24, 2008
Jwhite215 wrote:
This doesnít even approach being true. Big trucks account for approximately 3.5% of the vehicles on the road yet are involved in over 10% of the fatal crashes. This comment is based on NHTSA data, not gut feeling.

Most tuckers are the professionals you claim, however there are people driving big rigs who shouldnít be behind the wheel of anything. Everyone, even good drivers make the occasional mistake.

Last week in Atlanta a big rig driver wasnít paying attention and sandwiched a work van between him and another semi. I suppose that was the fault of the now dead driver of the van who had stopped because traffic stopped.

I have seen what you talk about with the four wheelers. Iíve also witnessed some outrageous behavior from truck drivers. Not that long ago I was riding beside a rig, at every on ramp he would adjust his speed just to annoy the cars entering I-75. These are people who did nothing to him.

The truckers arenít as innocent as you would like others to believe.

Since: Dec 07

Cornelia, GA

#15 Feb 24, 2008
When are we going to stop the trucks? I know tha they have uses, especially for certain types of materials such as hazardous waste BUT how often am I gettingon the interstate and a truck is driving in the right lane and not slowing down to let the traffic merge onto the road! Don't give me this crap about how hard it is to slow the trucks down! If they were driving at a safe speed to begin with, they could slow down a lot easier.By the way, when is it going to be illegal to use those retread tires? I can't tell you how many times I have been driving down the interstate to have one of those things fall apart in the truck ahead of me. They cause accidents behind them and they don't stop. Truckers please be more careful, drivers watch out for them, don't tailgate them, don't cut off the big trucks either. Until they slow down, you are taking your life in your hands.
JImmy

Moultrie, GA

#16 Feb 24, 2008
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesnít even approach being true. Big trucks account for approximately 3.5% of the vehicles on the road yet are involved in over 10% of the fatal crashes. This comment is based on NHTSA data, not gut feeling.
Most tuckers are the professionals you claim, however there are people driving big rigs who shouldnít be behind the wheel of anything. Everyone, even good drivers make the occasional mistake.
Last week in Atlanta a big rig driver wasnít paying attention and sandwiched a work van between him and another semi. I suppose that was the fault of the now dead driver of the van who had stopped because traffic stopped.
I have seen what you talk about with the four wheelers. Iíve also witnessed some outrageous behavior from truck drivers. Not that long ago I was riding beside a rig, at every on ramp he would adjust his speed just to annoy the cars entering I-75. These are people who did nothing to him.
There is an old saying that figures do not lie but liars can figure.

I am not calling you a liar but only making a point. Your statistics may be correct but your interpretation is incorrect.

Large trucks may be in more accidents than their percentage of vehicles on the road but that does not mean that truck drivers cause the accidents.

Idiots in cars often cut in front of tractor trailers and do not give the truck driver enough space or time to stop.

I worked for Overland for years. You need to ride one day and see what car drivers will do in front of a truck. They cut off something big enough to crush them.
TruckinChick

Alpharetta, GA

#17 Feb 24, 2008
JImmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not calling you a liar but only making a point. Your statistics may be correct but your interpretation is incorrect.
Large trucks may be in more accidents than their percentage of vehicles on the road but that does not mean that truck drivers cause the accidents.
Idiots in cars often cut in front of tractor trailers and do not give the truck driver enough space or time to stop.
I worked for Overland for years. You need to ride one day and see what car drivers will do in front of a truck. They cut off something big enough to crush them.
Im a driver, I would invite any of you to take 1 trip around 285 with me so you can see first hand how your fellow 4wheelers drive. I bet you will think twice before blaming a truck driver for every accident you see involving them!
Big rigs deliver ur goods

Duluth, GA

#18 Feb 24, 2008
The Big Boys can't stop on a dime like a car (like THAT hasn't been said a million times before).
Folks, give the rigs a wide berth; quit talking on your phones and realizing ~ at the last moment ~ you're at your exit; quit HAVING TO BE IN SUCH A HURRY TO BE WHERE YOU'RE GOING (learn to leave a bit earlier so you can get to your destination on time); etc.
These truck drivers are not only making a living for themselves and their families - they are also bringing groceries to your local market; wood to your local home improvement store; picture frames, DVDs, curtains, garbage cans, etc. to your local department store; parts to your auto dealership; supplies to your local hospitals, etc.(the list could go on ad infinitem ...)
Sure, there might be a rogue driver or two out there, but most are doing the right thing! Do you think they set off in the morning thinking "Yeah, let me see if I can get in a big crash 'n' smash today and really mess my life along with a few other lives!"
No, I am not a truck driver nor am I related to or even know a truck driver.
Be courteous and conscientious on the roads - to ALL drivers!
ronnie

Tyrone, GA

#19 Feb 24, 2008
Gary wrote:

It's not that they drive 55.It's because their trucks ca't go over 55.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Wesley Chapel, FL

#20 Feb 24, 2008
JImmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't state they were responsible for 10% of the fatal crashes.

Truckers too have a responsibily to safety as well. Something all to often I see lacking on both sides of this debate.

I have many friends I won't ride with because of their driving. Fault lands with both. I made my point to indicate the truckers aren't as squeeky clean as some would like us to believe.

The pressures of delivering loads on time, fatigue along with a number of other factors.

How often do you see a semi just feet off the bumper of a small car? Yet, truckers often bring up the fact they can't stop on a dime. Back off would be a solution.

I see cars tailgating trucks all too often. Nice move, they can't see ahead of it and don't have nearly enough time to stop if the rig has to stop quickly. Again, back off.

If people would just allow a safe distance and be polite to one another traffic would improve and fatalities would drop.
tanker yanker

United States

#21 Feb 25, 2008
ageofpaper wrote:
These trucks should have to make their deliveries at night time, especially when they carry any kind of hazardless waste or chemicals. There is an accident with a big rig every single day without failure and ties up traffic for hours. These trucks have to move our goods but it would be much better to do it at night time in the metro area This expressway (joke) was tied up for four hours, how many lost flights, appointments missed, gas wasted, nerves shot, people hurt, and then the clean up. As long as we have 5 million race car drivers that insist in cutting off the trucks and blocking them we will have this craziness.
Trust me as a professional driver working for this company and personally Knowing both of the drivers in the truck WE ALL (professional drivers) would rather run through Atlanta @ night because it never fails Next to L.A. traffic the Atlanta 500 is the worst road to drive on.
tanker yanker

United States

#22 Feb 25, 2008
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are admitting that you are one of those four wheelers that like to run next to big trucks when what you need to do is go ahead and pass the big truck and not stay in the left lane which is for passing not just for antagonizing big trucks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The gonna remove stone mountain next 4 min Mcnasty 21
Do women provoke men to hit them? (Feb '12) 50 min Truther2222 83
Depression, pain n anxiety treatment; 1 hr Wakabambam 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Blacksaredumb 21,047
New to town need advice. 10 hr Be strong Bob 5
Mayfair Tower 199 14th Street NE (Dec '11) 23 hr Richard 52
Buying A Car Off Craigslist Wed Frfr 7

Atlanta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlanta Mortgages