What are the worst parts of Atlanta to avoid (living or buying home)

Posted in the Atlanta Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
overtaxed

Orlando, FL

#1 Feb 25, 2009
I live out of state and am moving to Atlanta. Looking for something cheap/affordable to buy.(possibly fix up a forclosure.)
I have been told that the following are rough areas:
- pittsburgh
- adair park
- west end
- capitol view
- mechanicsville
- peoplestown
- vine city,.
and it would seem rough along Bankhead Highway.
Do you have any other areas to add to this list?

People are telling me to stay away from Lakewood.
* Do they mean the area around Lakewood Park (Pryor Rd and Lakewood Ave SE, just east of I-75?)OR
* do they mean the Lakewood MARTA station on Lee St. by Fort McPherson?
*****Most importantly, are there any poor/bad areas that are IMPROVING/Revitalizing?*****
thank you,

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

#2 Feb 25, 2009
overtaxed wrote:
I live out of state and am moving to Atlanta. Looking for something cheap/affordable to buy.(possibly fix up a forclosure.)
I have been told that the following are rough areas:
- pittsburgh
- adair park
- west end
- capitol view
- mechanicsville
- peoplestown
- vine city,.
and it would seem rough along Bankhead Highway.
Do you have any other areas to add to this list?
People are telling me to stay away from Lakewood.
* Do they mean the area around Lakewood Park (Pryor Rd and Lakewood Ave SE, just east of I-75?)OR
* do they mean the Lakewood MARTA station on Lee St. by Fort McPherson?
*****Most importantly, are there any poor/bad areas that are IMPROVING/Revitalizing?*****
thank you,
The areas you mentioned are on the tail end of any revitalization. I'd talk to an real estate agent who may know more. Although you can find a good bargain there I'm sure.

Areas like Kirkwood, East Atlanta, Glenwood, Cabbage Town, East Lake, are well into their revitalization, and but you can probably still find bargains considering the neighborhood values were still rising before the crash. These neighborhoods are already seeing small businesses like restaurants and local pubs going up and being frequented.

A very good sign. But I haven't seen that yet in many of the areas you mentioned above.

I think it depends on how far on the tip of the revitalization you care to be.

I'd try and find something in the areas I mentioned if you looking to be close to intown.

I haven't seen enough from areas like Bankhead yet. I hope that helped.
teasha

Atlanta, GA

#3 Feb 25, 2009
Stay away from Marrietta,clayton county.gwinett and all of those places. I lived there when I first moved to Atlanta and they are lawless,racist and very poor.the blacks out here hate each other and they are very evil with no good reason so make sure you bring your mean mug and mace. I thought it would be cool for blacks out here but I was wrong and don't think about finding a man out here rotflmao they are all gay as hell
teasha

Atlanta, GA

#4 Feb 25, 2009
Bankhead is nice if you have money. The poor parts of bankhead are bad and not worth living in TRUST ME! Gwinett does have some nice areas but it is full of rioting mexicans. Try the cascade area of atlanta it's really nice
Roaddog146

Lawrenceville, GA

#5 Feb 25, 2009
Consider somewhere else to live other than inside the perimeter unless you can afford a gated community.

“I am listening.......”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#7 Feb 26, 2009
Article page 34 Atlanta Magazine

Techwood homes may have seemed like a good idea when it was built, in the pit of the Great Depression, but by the nineties it had become state-sponsored purgatory: broken toilets, brazen cockroaches, whistling bullets. Something had to be done, if not for the residents, then at least for city pride. The Olympics were coming.

As the deadline approached, the Atlanta Housing Authority put forth a radical plan. It would tear down Techwood and dozens of similar public housing projects and pay to relocate the residents to private homes and new mixed-income developments that in many cases would be built on the location of the razed project. Officials concluded that the projects themselves were the problem - the residents, mostly women and children, were merely victims of circumstance - and if they could disperse the people into mainstream society, everyone would benefit.

Fifteen years later, that plan is nearly complete. The last of the projects are scheduled for demolition in early 2010, and the AHA is still helping nearly 20,000 families pay for houses. I used two sets of date - the addresses of AHA's new mixed-income developments and the zip codes of those receiving Section 8 assistance - to map where these people are now.

NOT IN CLAYTON, despite what you may have heard. As recently as last year, an article on Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website suggested Clayton County had become Atlanta's "dumping ground" for former public housing residents around the time of the 1996 Olympics. But the AHA's data shows that only 131 of the 11,988 families in its Section 8 program are in Clayton. That's barely 1 percent.

continued...

“I am listening.......”

Location hidden

#8 Feb 26, 2009
part 2....

NOT IN THE NORTHEAST. This may go without saying, considering the price of housing in Midtown, Ansley Park and Virginia-Highland, but almost none of the displaced families are in the city neighborhoods east of Peachtree Street and north of Ponce de Leon Avenue.

NOT, GENERALLY SPEAKING, IN THE PROMISED LAND. Georgia State University researchers Deirdre Oakly and Erin Ruel argue that AHA has not truly deconcentrated the city's poverty, because many public housing residents have merely gone from one poor neighborhood to another. Census data lends some evidence to their claim. For example, 1,486 Section 8 families are now in zip code 30315, in South Atlanta near Lakewood Park, where 37 percent of all families live in poverty, barely half of adults have finished high school, and only 7 percent have graduated from college. Many of the Section 8 families ahve migrated to other high-poverty zip codes as well. But there's an intriguing exception:As of last June, 213 families receiving housing assistance reported living in 30305, which is part of Buckhead and more than 90 percent white, with a median family income more than double the national average.

THEY'VE SPREAD OUT TOWARD THE PERIMETER. The clients of AHA aren't limited to the city of Atlanta. They can take their housing vouchers and go anywhere. The fifteen most popular Section 8 zip codes tend toward the south and the west, although some are in South Dekalb or near Decatur. Fifth is 30310, in West End; fourth is 30331, west of the Perimeter near Ben Hill; third is 30318, northwest of Georgia Tech; second is 30315, the aforementioned Lakewood neighborhood; and first, with 1,607 families, is 30311, west of Downtown and just inside the Perimeter. This zip includes a predominantly black neighborhood called Cascade Heights. Guess who lives there? Shirley Franklin, the major of Atlanta.

SORRY FOR ANY MISTYPES......THEY ARE MINE!! Maria

“I am listening.......”

Location hidden

#9 Feb 26, 2009
Oops....that is the magazine from March 2009.
overtaxed

Orlando, FL

#11 Feb 26, 2009
Hibberdee Jibberdee wrote:
If I were you, I would just stay put. Atlanta is fast becoming the twin sister of New Orleans.
How so?
What is so bad about Atlanta?
overtaxed

Orlando, FL

#13 Mar 2, 2009
<quoted text>
An idiot for a mayor surrounded by more of her appointed idiots and thugs along with high violent crime and police officer reduction along with decaying infrastructure. I would just remain in Mickey Mouse land....what's wrong with Orlando anyway?
So would you suggest the suburbs or area outside the City of Atlanta?
How is DeKalb County, or Clayton County?
thanks
W Turn

United States

#14 Mar 3, 2009
Judging from the areas that you avoid...you want to live close to the city but not in actual bad areas. And you say fixing up a foreclosure so you are not in the market for the most popular city neighborhoods.

So the answer is simple and it's...East Point. But that's East Point that is West of Hwy 29, South of Hwy 166, East of I-285, and North of Camp Creek and Washington roads.

To get to East Point just go South on I-75 from the baseball stadium for about 3 miles to Hwy 166. Go West on Hwy 166 to Main St / Hwy 29. Then go South on Hwy 29 and turn right on Connally Dr. Next turn left on a little entrance ramp to Norman Berry drive. Stop at the bicycle track and you are on the dividing line between the old East Point and the new East Point with the 1960's ranches.

Now East Point does not have the restrictions that Atlanta added concerning replacing older houses with newer houses...

“STOP animal abuse”

Since: Dec 07

United States

#15 Mar 4, 2009
I'm afraid my isp location will get banned if i tell the truth.

“I am listening.......”

Location hidden

#16 Mar 4, 2009
Ralexa wrote:
I'm afraid my isp location will get banned if i tell the truth.
Can't see your ISP today.........go for it. We won't tell!

“STOP animal abuse”

United States

#18 Mar 4, 2009
I would recommend a VERY good security system with cameras! And Smith and Wesson

“STOP animal abuse”

United States

#20 Mar 4, 2009
<quoted text>
Security system...I agree but don't get one of those rip off security services that alert the police silently. All that happens there is the police show up after all of your stuff is gone. Get a loud decibel burglar alarm system. May cost a little more upfront to have professionally installed but it will save you money in the long run and your house from getting robbed as well.
True!

and to jump out of bed and yell, I AM PREPARED TO BLOW YOUR PHUQUEING HEAD OFF!helps too. worked everytime in Florida

“STOP animal abuse”

Pacolet, SC

#22 Mar 4, 2009
I know this may sound strange but put fake snakes(the real looking ones from the Marine store)at your back doors. Most people wandering around in the dark aren't going to take the time to pick them up to see if they are real.

Location hidden

#23 Mar 4, 2009
Personally, I'd avoid anything inside I-285 and If I had the choice, I'd probably set myself at least at 35 mile boundry layer on the outside of the perimeter as well. Once you're outside that zone, you stand a chance of buying into a decent neighborhood and reduce your chance of mugging by at least 75%. Remember, DSL and high-speed cable is now available in the sticks :-)

“STOP animal abuse”

United States

#24 Mar 4, 2009
When I first moved to this city a lady told me,"lock your car when you get in it."as soon as you get in it. Never smoke downtown. I quit smoking but the two times I nearly got mugged, it was over a cigarette. Never, NEVER have conversation with the homeless. If you feel sorry for them, fine. Send money over the net. but NEVER stop to give a cigarette. And don't open the car door or roll down the window in the city. These guys are NOT harmless. And they got PLENTY of shelters here. PLENTY. These are the richest homeless I have ever seen. They love it here.
zone6

Senatobia, MS

#25 May 5, 2010
east atlanta is sulm all of it fool robbed me for 20k an his luck been bad every since an people so jealous alll the men are punks or wanna be hiphop stars an all the females are gutta an high mileage so u better bring yur own girl lolan try to deal with people u know an can relax around

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#27 May 6, 2010
Smyrna is GREAT!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Augusta Conman and Dishonest Candidate: Charlie... 29 min Venus Flypapertrap 2
Are you STILL a slave? take the test (Nov '10) 59 min Chrisparker3121 8
removal of silicone from body (Mar '14) 1 hr teresa76 297
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr UnderstandPeople 19,378
Five Reasons Why Obama Is A Good President (Jun '11) 2 hr DapperDave 8,391
Bad day for the south 11 hr Zowie Bowie 32
2014 Susan G. Komen Atlanta 3-Day Raises $3.2 M... 12 hr kristiena hiely 1

Atlanta News Video

Atlanta Dating
Find my Match

Atlanta Jobs

Atlanta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Atlanta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Atlanta

Personal Finance