Georgia's immigration law takes effe...

Georgia's immigration law takes effect in July, but its ripples are already being felt:

There are 112 comments on the atlanta.creativeloafing.com story from May 11, 2007, titled Georgia's immigration law takes effect in July, but its ripples are already being felt: . In it, atlanta.creativeloafing.com reports that:

RULES CHANGE: Immigrants stand outside a construction store to look for work. Seven years ago, Jose Sanchez left his home in Guadalajara, Mexico, to illegally cross the U.S. border. via Creative Loafing Tampa

Join the discussion below, or Read more at atlanta.creativeloafing.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Dissident

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 May 11, 2007
Poor,poor Jose!

I feel his pain!

Where's Mario?

Happy days are here again within the next two months!

¡Ha sido agradable conociéndote Jose, adiós!
NYPDfriendly

United States

#2 May 11, 2007
Great, another person driving without a license, no insurance, here illegally, and says that even though his documents are more expensive, at least he knows they are LEGIT? Ummmm am I missing something, how are illegally obtained i.d. papers LEGIT? What arrogance these people have. I am thoroughly disgusted. Everything this guy is doing is illegal and he acts like its no big deal. I hope they deport him, his wife and his kid. This is rediculous.
wally

Temple City, CA

#4 May 12, 2007
thats the hole problem they think that they are not doing any thing wrong.but its up to all states to pass laws like ga,colorada,and then inforce the laws,thats the whole immigration problem no one in this country all states included want to follow the laws.
denny

Gainesville, GA

#5 May 12, 2007
You want inflation. You're asking for it. Seal the borders and offer a work program or gas is not the only thing we're going to be worried about. Bank on it! American workers don't want to do the jobs the majority of Hispanics do. Those that do, want to be paid like a doctor and work like a retiree.

Dissident

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#6 May 12, 2007
"He earns $15 an hour to support his wife and their 3-year-old American-born daughter in a gated apartment community in Gwinnett County."

I think most US unskilled workers will work for $15.00 an hour. I know of people working in fast food places now that only make $8.00 an hour, so where did YOU get YOUR info from?
John

Richmond, VA

#7 May 14, 2007
"Gonzalez says the Home Builders Association of Georgia expects the time for homes to be built to double and the costs of new homes to increase by 10 to 30 percent, because American workers will demand higher pay and only work 40-hour weeks."
Actually, new home starts are down, and any remaining demand for homes will be supplied by all the pending mortgage defaults. Folks who can't afford their higher interest mortgage payments (who never should have been granted a mortage in the first place) will move into apartments (where there is currently an over supply) or trailer park communities outside the perimeter. Meanwhile, upwardly mobile young couples looking for their first home will move in to the recently vacated homes. Just like the California Gold Rush of the late 19th century, the realestate construction rush is slowing down.
So where would this leave illegal construction workers? Standing in the social services lines? Protesting in the streets? Georgia legislators see this looming over the horizon and are taking preventative action now.
Lesa

AOL

#8 May 20, 2007
I say other States should follow! This is so out of hand it has to have something done. The next time I go to the grocery store and see yet another illegal with child and a trail of children behind her paying for 300.00 in groceries with food stamps I am going to scream! And just try getting in to a doctors office today. There they all are with their medicare cards.. paid for with our tax dollars! I say we need more Perdues!
russell3336

Fitzgerald, GA

#9 May 20, 2007
Send them all back they have no right over here.That is why America cant support there own is cause they wanna keep up all these other country's people.
Chatsworth,GA.
GACHICA

AOL

#10 May 22, 2007
denny wrote:
You want inflation. You're asking for it. Seal the borders and offer a work program or gas is not the only thing we're going to be worried about. Bank on it! American workers don't want to do the jobs the majority of Hispanics do. Those that do, want to be paid like a doctor and work like a retiree.
This is always the answer, Americans don't want to do the jobs of immigrants. I have worked in the technical fields for over 10 years and have watched my job be outsourced. I went to college to obtain a degree for this field.

Now we have immigrants. These people are being taken advantage of by these selfish employees. The American worker does not have a problem doing the work, they cannot get the job, because of the illegal workers. They don't even want to pay mim wage, when they can pay an illegal $1-$2 less. So don't come on here with that excuse.

There are plenty of people that have come to this country legally. They went through the proper channels, paid the fees to become a citizen and have abidded by the laws that govern this land. When I was a college student, I could not even get free/reduce cost medical help, and these illegals get it all for free. How is that fair.

Illegals are TAXING on our Education system,(more supplies and reduce/free lunch), Health system,(medicad cards, free health bennefits) Social Security,(the elderly never worked her, but get it because of their age, BS) Economic system suffers.

Illegals that work here, don't pay no taxes and export all their monies back to MEXICO or other countries. They don't pay now taxes. Crime has increase in our communites, YES it has.

I applaued GA and Colorado, for doing what the PRESIDENT could not do, uphold the laws of this great country.
John

Richmond, VA

#11 May 22, 2007
GACHICA wrote:
<quoted text>
...
I applaued GA and Colorado, for doing what the PRESIDENT could not do, uphold the laws of this great country.
I have always said that the issue of illegal immigration is best dealt with at the state and local level, becuase that is where law enforcement, social services, and business licenses are managed. Each state can make their own choice about immigration, and whatever approach works best can be held up as an example and then other states will follow. This is organic politics.
Tina

AOL

#12 Jun 4, 2007
I don't feel sorry for any illegals working here in the state of Georgia. My husband is a brick mason who's been doing brick work for 25 plus years. Can't find any work due to illegals taking over. We've cut our prices and still can't find work. I don't know what's wrong with this picture. I hope that people that buy new houses, that there house don't come tumbling down on them.
John

Richmond, VA

#13 Jun 4, 2007
denny wrote:
You want inflation. You're asking for it. Seal the borders and offer a work program or gas is not the only thing we're going to be worried about. Bank on it! American workers don't want to do the jobs the majority of Hispanics do. Those that do, want to be paid like a doctor and work like a retiree.
Those lazy azz Americans who sit on their butts at public expense will get what's coming to them. Well tell them to sweat in the fields or construction sites for at least 8 hours a day or Big Brother stops sending a check. That's the opening act of part 2 this ongoing drama.
Fher

Covington, GA

#14 Jun 6, 2007
NYPDfriendly wrote:
Great, another person driving without a license, no insurance, here illegally, and says that even though his documents are more expensive, at least he knows they are LEGIT? Ummmm am I missing something, how are illegally obtained i.d. papers LEGIT? What arrogance these people have. I am thoroughly disgusted. Everything this guy is doing is illegal and he acts like its no big deal. I hope they deport him, his wife and his kid. This is rediculous.
In many cases there were so many that move or immigrated from one country to another country. i wish i could see i white red neck in my country dying because of not knwing soanish to ask for food or home. now you see the difference between between polite words an disonest lenguage. so do not judge people without knowing them first. racist red necks.
Fher

Covington, GA

#15 Jun 6, 2007
Tina wrote:
I don't feel sorry for any illegals working here in the state of Georgia. My husband is a brick mason who's been doing brick work for 25 plus years. Can't find any work due to illegals taking over. We've cut our prices and still can't find work. I don't know what's wrong with this picture. I hope that people that buy new houses, that there house don't come tumbling down on them.
I guess your husband by the words u use to discribe him. he is a lot of slow, or stupid brick mason hahahahahaha.. how can i hispanic legal or elligal with no english or any 25 years of sperience can do more than a red neck even thogh he is not wet.. stupid comment that's what you did.
Fher

Covington, GA

#16 Jun 6, 2007
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Those lazy azz Americans who sit on their butts at public expense will get what's coming to them. Well tell them to sweat in the fields or construction sites for at least 8 hours a day or Big Brother stops sending a check. That's the opening act of part 2 this ongoing drama.
Look i am working in a big company that is none of your business to know. but i worked with som many hispanic workers and guess who is their boss?????????? me. Now i have some white and balck people working in my shift but i don't treat them in a racist way. why because they are not acist but the ones before i personally fired. those were racist, slow, stupid, etc. u no the characteristics that could discribe a red neck.hahahaha
Fher

Covington, GA

#17 Jun 6, 2007
GACHICA wrote:
<quoted text>
This is always the answer, Americans don't want to do the jobs of immigrants. I have worked in the technical fields for over 10 years and have watched my job be outsourced. I went to college to obtain a degree for this field.
Now we have immigrants. These people are being taken advantage of by these selfish employees. The American worker does not have a problem doing the work, they cannot get the job, because of the illegal workers. They don't even want to pay mim wage, when they can pay an illegal $1-$2 less. So don't come on here with that excuse.
There are plenty of people that have come to this country legally. They went through the proper channels, paid the fees to become a citizen and have abidded by the laws that govern this land. When I was a college student, I could not even get free/reduce cost medical help, and these illegals get it all for free. How is that fair.
Illegals are TAXING on our Education system,(more supplies and reduce/free lunch), Health system,(medicad cards, free health bennefits) Social Security,(the elderly never worked her, but get it because of their age, BS) Economic system suffers.
Illegals that work here, don't pay no taxes and export all their monies back to MEXICO or other countries. They don't pay now taxes. Crime has increase in our communites, YES it has.
I applaued GA and Colorado, for doing what the PRESIDENT could not do, uphold the laws of this great country.
Illegals that work here, don't pay no taxes and export all their monies back to MEXICO or other countries. They don't pay now taxes. Crime has increase in our communites, YES it has.
I applaued GA and Colorado, for doing what the PRESIDENT could not do, uphold the laws of this great country.
Good point o discust... Look yes look aourd you and tell me if you see any hispanic carrying a suitcase, or walking with a dog picking up the shit they left. now if WE do not pay taxes. can you imajine how much money goverment has saved or make form us... at least we do have kids and we don't clime them every year like you'll do... Plus i know that so many of you all clime things that are not true to get more money that you all are suppost to get.thiefs...
Daltonian

Dalton, GA

#18 Jun 7, 2007
SEND ALL THEIR ILLEGAL AZZES BACK!!!!! I AM SO SICK OF MY GRANDCHILDREN REQUIRED TO TAKE SPANISH IN SCHOOL!!!!!!I AM SICK OF WALMART AND KROGER ETC....HAVING EVERTHING TRANSLATED INTO SPANISH.I AM SICK OF SEEING THEIR MEXICAIN FLAG WAVING IN MY COUNTRY.THIS IS AMERICA SPEAK THE LANGUAGE!!!!!!!I APPLAUDE GOVERNOR PERDUE FOR HAVING THE BACKBONE OUR CONGRESS DOES NOT HAVE.I SAY LETS VOTE GOVERNOR PERDUE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!
Joe

Alpharetta, GA

#19 Jun 11, 2007
IN CASE THAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOU STUPID DALTONIAN, SPANISH IS NOW THE OFICIAL 2ND LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES AND ITS GONNA STAY LIKE THAT EITHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT AND KNOWING SPANISH IS NOT A DISCRASE FOR OUR PEOPLE ITS PRIVILAGE.
Veronica

Chatsworth, GA

#20 Jun 11, 2007
wally wrote:
thats the hole problem they think that they are not doing any thing wrong.but its up to all states to pass laws like ga,colorada,and then inforce the laws,thats the whole immigration problem no one in this country all states included want to follow the laws.
Wally, can you learn how to write correctly?
irwin

Smyrna, GA

#21 Jun 11, 2007
Lesa wrote:
I say other States should follow! This is so out of hand it has to have something done. The next time I go to the grocery store and see yet another illegal with child and a trail of children behind her paying for 300.00 in groceries with food stamps I am going to scream! And just try getting in to a doctors office today. There they all are with their medicare cards.. paid for with our tax dollars! I say we need more Perdues!
Hey Lesa, u ever consider the fact that every "mexican" is not considered, in your words, "another illegal with child and a trail of children behind her." I just think that when it comes to this issue, we as human beings can become so insensitive to other human beings and I just think that maybe we could take that energy that's being used to degrade one another and try uplifting one another. Maybe u could helped her walk those $300 of groceries and trail of kids to the car and i guarantee that you would never going to scream about this again. Or maybe it's just [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I seek info on SunRa SunKeen, who hijacked my F... 6 hr toor_lol 4
Paddock Probably A Former Cop... 14 hr ThomasA 134
Voting For Keisha Lance Bottoms? Tue Charles 1
Katrell Nash: Horrible Attorney BEWARE!!!! Tue Lamborghini 4
take care of business Tue Enter Username 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Mcm123 21,338
Larry Vincent Georgia Power Nov 18 Why 4

Atlanta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlanta Mortgages