Clayton County Schools Losing Accredi...

Clayton County Schools Losing Accreditation

There are 172 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Feb 15, 2008, titled Clayton County Schools Losing Accreditation. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

The Southern Association of Colleges and School Council on Accreditation and School Improvement has recommended that the Clayton County School District lose its accreditation, beginning with the 2008-2009 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

sick

Covington, GA

#198 Feb 27, 2008
Corection Only in Clayton Co. Georgia!!!!!!
CommonSense wrote:
lol...only in GA.
Morrow and Jonesboro

Monroe, GA

#199 Feb 28, 2008
Secede! Form your own city schools. Not too long ago, both Morrow and Jonesboro were top 100 public high schools. Jonesboro's debate team even won a state cup a few years ago. Two decent areas being dragged down by Forest Park, Riverdale, College Park, and any other terrible areas that I may be omitting (note: more the fault of the people and the BOE than the teachers or administration in individual schools). Build a fence around the others and save yourselves.
For the teachers in the other schools: I feel for you. I'm sure you're all dedicated professionals, and NONE of this should be on your shoulders. The situation is the fault of the CCBOE, but also the population at large. To the CONCERNED parents of Clayton County. I feel for you. The apathy of other parents and their - let's just say it - useless, disinterested children, have allowed the situation to progress to this point. I hope you can find a solution to help your children succeed, and those who don't care can eventually just fade into their miserable, state-supported lives.
Science teachers of Clayton County: May I suggest that, for your problem students - those openly involved in gangs, lacking any credits, and disinterested in anything other than disrupting class or socializing - that you hold a bleach of drain-cleaner taste testing contest. Ask students if they can tell the difference between Clorox and generic bleach, or Drano and Mr. Plumber. If they're going to bleed out in the streets anyway, why not just speed up the process, while also letting the students who care learn a bit about market research?
U got is all wrong

Carrollton, GA

#200 Feb 28, 2008
wow wrote:
How much of this is people that send their children to school and use it only as a daycare? Parents that take no initiative in the schooling of their children? Parents that allow children to misbehave and cut up in class? Therefore manifesting itself in poor performance and contributing to the problem?
This is not the kids fault. The blame goes to the so call school board members. They are at fault. the kids may not be doing perfect, but I know some of them really do care about there education. This is why parents and members including students at the schools in clayton county should take action and get a petition going for the sake of the kids furture, becase the so called school board members have their education give the students a real chance to get there's. So its not the kids its the adults!!
I will stand up

Woodstock, GA

#201 Feb 28, 2008
Everyone listen up. I know that it is easy to blame every single last black person in the county about what is going on. That is okay. We are used to it. However, I am a 31 year BLACK WOMAN who works everyday, takes care of 3 children and a husband, maintains a nice 4 bedroom home, and participates in the education of my children. I know this county is facing some tough times. I do not plan to move, I plan to make a DIFFERENCE! To the hardworking decent black people in Clayton: Why are y'all leaving? Did Martin Luther King jump ship and move to a different country when black people were mistreated by whites? Stop being lazy and help me, US, fix this mess. Someone said in an earlier post that we as black people never own up to our mistakes. Let us prove them wrong, that we can turn this county around. Our crime here is no worse than Gwinnett or Dekalb. Hell, I feel safer on Riverdale Road, than I would on Buford Highway! You know why? I feel comfortable around my own. Why move to a county where they dont want your kind anyway? My children go to the schools that have achieved AYP for the last couple of years and I love their teachers and I see parents show up at the PTA meetings. So for all of you who complain and dont live here...stay the hell out and worry about what is going on in your own back yard. We dont need your damn sympathy. For those who do care about what is going on, meet me at the Rally on March 1st on Lake Harbin. Make a difference!
DoubleAction

Covington, GA

#202 Feb 28, 2008
Dat right wrote:
What is the problem? The quality of educaton in Clayton County is similar to Africa. And since the county is located in American, it could be said the education system is truly "African American."
Now, that's something to march about!
Dat's Right !!!!!

Clayton County has truly evolved into what the voters wanted. What they gonna do, beg the whites to come back ?
TheRepublican

Boynton Beach, FL

#203 Feb 29, 2008
Blame the lowest standards ever on one county for drawing down of the entire state in education. Works for me, we all need a scapegoat sometime, govn't more often than others.

Larry Craig, people? People looking at people looking at people tapping their foot impatiently while attempting a dump is slight MORE than unnerving. Let's tax just that 1 out of every hundred people,'cause he's just strange.
Rock

Boynton Beach, FL

#205 Feb 29, 2008
I just heard that the Clayton School Board gets a salary each month but can't find anywhere on the school district web page how much is paid. Does anyone know?? That partially explains why they are so meddlesome in the day-to-day district business. They don't have a real job and they don't have anything better to do!!
evelyn

Stockbridge, GA

#206 Mar 1, 2008
fire them all we would better off
Javen

Decatur, GA

#207 Mar 5, 2008
Hello.....I'm a little confused about this..... I graduated with the class of 07 at a clayton county school. I've been in school since i graduated... I attend a school in the Atlanta area but it isnt in clayton county... Does this accreditation affect me in anyway??? I ask becuase i saw this:

The report states that the Clayton County School District is “fatally flawed” by the school board not complying with the association’s standards. It recommends that the Clayton County School District lose its college accreditation beginning on September 1st, 2008

Someone please help me with this.
Curtis

Miramar Beach, FL

#208 Mar 8, 2008
I don't get it, what does the actions of a School Board have to do with the curriculum being taught in the class room? Why are these students being punished? Only in America you mean Common Sense of Colorado!
Inylak

United States

#209 Mar 11, 2008
The only real culprits in all of this were all these parents who did nothing for all these years. You say get rid of the school board, true, however, if the "victims" get dumped on other communities, these parents would have gotten away with their irresponsibility. I say, I do not wish to see a repeat of another Lousiana symptom. If the citizens of clayton co., were willing to live under these circumstances, then let these same citizens take care of and deal with it now. Else, they will start pointing their finger at everyone else.
John

Athens, GA

#210 Mar 18, 2008
Advice to Clayton County Parents. Bring your child down to Henry County to finish their education. All you have to do is rent a one bedroom apartment at any community. It is worth the $600 or so a month to ensure that your child doesn't work 13 years for a diploma that won't be any more valuable than the paper it is printed on. Look at www.apartmentfinder.com . It is worth it!!
likeitorlumpit

AOL

#211 Mar 25, 2008
Same stuff will happen if Obama gets elected! Look at New Orleans! Atlanta! Washington D.C.!
I rest my case!
Educator

Rydal, GA

#212 Mar 29, 2008
roberta wrote:
I think Clayton County should lose their accreditation. This is the secound time and the school board did not correct the problems the first time, and if allowed to continue this will send the wrong message to other counties.
Please be sensible in what you say. If Clayton County loses its accreditation, the impact of the loss will primarily affect our students in many ways. This is a system with strong well-educated teachers, caring and devoted parents, and students who deserve all that we have to give them. Unfortunately, 9 misguided, unprofessional, unethical individuals have decided the fate of 52,800 innocent children. Clayton County should not lose its accreditation. It should lose the current governing board. I am sure they have other talents that are useful in some other arena.
Judah

Powder Springs, GA

#213 Mar 31, 2008
I will stand up wrote:
Everyone listen up. I know that it is easy to blame every single last black person in the county about what is going on. That is okay. We are used to it. However, I am a 31 year BLACK WOMAN who works everyday, takes care of 3 children and a husband, maintains a nice 4 bedroom home, and participates in the education of my children. I know this county is facing some tough times. I do not plan to move, I plan to make a DIFFERENCE! To the hardworking
decent black people in Clayton: Why are y'all leaving? Did Martin Luther King jump ship and move to a different country when black people were mistreated by whites? Stop being lazy and help me, US, fix this mess. Someone said in an earlier post that we as black people never own up to our mistakes. Let us prove them wrong, that we can turn this county around. Our crime here is no worse than Gwinnett or Dekalb. Hell, I feel safer on Riverdale Road, than I would on Buford Highway! You know why? I feel comfortable around my own. Why move to a county where they dont want your kind anyway? My children go to the schools that have achieved AYP for the last couple of years and I love their teachers and I see parents show up at the PTA meetings. So for all of you who complain and dont live here...stay the hell out and worry about what is going on in your own back yard. We dont need your damn sympathy. For those who do care about what is going on, meet me at the Rally on March 1st on Lake Harbin. Make a difference!
You will stand up and turn it into a race issue nice way to go.
concerned parent

United States

#214 Apr 2, 2008
Get Smart wrote:
Gee "Let us fight",
You must be a product of the Clayton County school system.
You must be another uppity Fayette County racist. Please note that while you don't want Clayton County students in your schools, the Clayton County students are the current National Mock Trial Team Champs and State TSA Champs. There are two IB programs in CCPS. Fayette County Schools have nothing to offer anyway.
kelie

Palmetto, GA

#215 Apr 3, 2008
ATTENTION ALL PARENTS IN CLAYTON COUNTY
If your child is a good kid who makes straight A's, they don't deserve to be caught up in this mess with Clayton county. I have a solution for you.
OUR LADY OF MERCY CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL
This school is located in Fairburn, Georgia right down the street from Clayton County. It is an excellent, college preparatory school for grades 9-12 see the website for more information.
http://www.olmbobcats.org/
A student that cares

Alpharetta, GA

#216 Apr 3, 2008
I'm so sorry that this is happening to so many good students. My prayers are with you all, and I hope that you all will find a way. Believe in yourself and god. You will make it.
Happy in Peachtree City

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#217 Apr 4, 2008
I will be happy to let my tenants out of their lease on my rental house in Riverdale in light of this situation with the schools.
CCPS Student

Decatur, GA

#218 Apr 5, 2008
The county shouldn't stop us students form voicing our opinion!!!! We have the right of FREE SPEECH!!! I am just shocked by the consequences of this situation!! I will not be able to attend actual school! This is making it harder for everyone in my family!! Both of my parents are going back to school and it will be even harder for me to be homeschooled!!!I have goals too!!! I want to go to HARVARD University one day!!! I have been working extremely hard in school and I get great grades and test scores and this is my reward? I just can't believe someone else is ruining the chance of my success in life. I don't want this to happen!! I need the HOPE scholarship!!! Isn't that what the hope scholarship means too? H-O-P-E. Hope. I want to actually get a decent job and support my own family. This decision is making everything harder. Many other counties are not willing to accept students from Clayton County into their system. How are most people supposed to get out of Clayton? Nobody will want to buy a house in a district with a non accredited school! I want to go to LOVEJOY next year!!! I don't think us students should be paying for some other stupid person's mistakes!! I want to go to the same school next year!! There are some TERRIFIC teachers at Lovejoy Middle and I WANT to be in their honors classes!!! I want to go to a real school!! I don't want to go to some silly virtual school! I am really disappointed!! I am very involoved in my school and community and I don't want to leave it!! This is where I grew up!! I don't want to see it crumble!! This loss of sccreditation wasn't even based on test scores!! IT was just over some stupid members' ethics!! A new board will REALLY help!!! These BOE members are very self-centered and selfish! They won't stop on their own! We have to RISE UP and stand for our beliefs!!!
OUR QUALITY OF EDUCATION SHOULD NOT BE AFFECTED BY ANYONE BESIDES OURSELVES!!!!!
WE ALL NEED TO RISE UP TOGETHER AND FIND A WAY FOR OUR VOICES TO BE HEARD!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why White Guys Like Asian Girls (May '12) 1 hr Kent 438
Israel United In Christ -(IUIC): Is definitely ... 1 hr Elaine 7
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 1 hr Thesimpletruth 1,476
Mayfair Tower 199 14th Street NE (Dec '11) 2 hr Dennis 44
Illegal Alien caught Raping Dog! 5 hr MAGA2016 1
ismaili dating site reviews | best and worst mu... (Apr '12) 7 hr Rahim 6
News Norma McCorvey dead at 69; anonymous 'Jane Roe'... 9 hr ThomasA 11

Atlanta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlanta Mortgages