Police Chase Ends With Fatality

Police Chase Ends With Fatality

There are 308 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Mar 2, 2008, titled Police Chase Ends With Fatality. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

One person is dead after a police chase that ended in Barrow County Sunday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Hanah Bannah

Atlanta, GA

#1 Mar 2, 2008
Way to go police... Serve and protect... Yea right...

“losers nit pick on topix”

Since: Jul 07

Earth

#2 Mar 2, 2008
i hate when stories are posted without all the information given.
Skep Tick

Braselton, GA

#3 Mar 2, 2008
I heard the accident over the police scanner as it occurred. "10-80 [chase in progress] Head-on collision!" Why were the cops chasing? Many metro counties have no-chase policy. Barrow does not. The accident occurred at approximately 10 p.m. Even as I type, cops are spinning/schmoozing the media. The light from the blue strobes illuminates a news-truck. don't count on getting the facts.
Skep Tick

Braselton, GA

#6 Mar 3, 2008
This isn't about rape.(In fact, you don't have slightest idea WHY the cops were in Hot Pursuit.) It's about mindless chasing by overzealous and prey-spastic cops that accomplishes nothing -- but causes a fatality. So what if the driver had a tag light out, or ran a stop sign, or was speeding, or tossed a bag of marijuana out the window? NONE of that is worth a human life, plus multiple critical injuries. These local yokels need to stop chasing NOW. Perhaps a wrongful death lawsuit will hinder this cowboy crap. Maybe chief deppity Murray KoGOD, who wants to be sheriff, needs to address this in his election platform.
Frank

Smyrna, GA

#7 Mar 3, 2008
Skep Tick wrote:
This isn't about rape.(In fact, you don't have slightest idea WHY the cops were in Hot Pursuit.) It's about mindless chasing by overzealous and prey-spastic cops that accomplishes nothing -- but causes a fatality. So what if the driver had a tag light out, or ran a stop sign, or was speeding, or tossed a bag of marijuana out the window? NONE of that is worth a human life, plus multiple critical injuries. These local yokels need to stop chasing NOW. Perhaps a wrongful death lawsuit will hinder this cowboy crap. Maybe chief deppity Murray KoGOD, who wants to be sheriff, needs to address this in his election platform.
Yep, and throw all laws out the window because some scum bag broke the law. Just catch him or her later after they committed another crime right?
ExClayton

Phenix City, AL

#8 Mar 3, 2008
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, and throw all laws out the window because some scum bag broke the law. Just catch him or her later after they committed another crime right?
I have to agree. If the suspect wasn't running, then there would have been no chase to begin with.
Wait and see

Ellijay, GA

#9 Mar 3, 2008
Skep Tick, get a life! What part of not stopping for a blue light don't you or these idiots understand. Wrongful death suit, Ha what sue the police because some fool can't stop for the police? I want to be on that Jury. Seems with many chases you see the police in a helicopter in the air and a new chopper above catching the action. I say but a police sniper in the police chopper, 1st shot thru the hood and the second thru the windsheild. Short chase!

A chase only happens when someone runs, did the police make them run? What happened to respect for the police.

From what you write I can only guess your a democrat also.
Atticus Finch

New York, NY

#10 Mar 3, 2008
Skep Tick wrote:
... Many metro counties have no-chase policy. Barrow does not. The accident occurred at approximately 10 p.m. Even as I type, cops are spinning/schmoozing the media....
1. According to the article, the chase started in another jurisdiction.

2. Assuming it was not the runner who died, somebody needs to start counting these deaths where an innocent dies. It seems like a clean upstanding middle class person is more likely to die by police car these days than to be murdered at home, school or work by a criminal. If so, that's a problem.

3. Details are sketchy because they need to check the dead person for any traces of alcohol in her bleed or residue of drugs on her currency. If anything turns up, then they can say that the dead person was the suspect. Which is kind of unfair to the dead person of course.

4. If police were really blamed for the chase, then a popo or two would go to jail everytime one of these fatalities happen. Nobody is suggesting that. People just want the families of the dead or injured person to be compensated out of public funds because it is the public good that is served by these chases. that is only fair.
Atticus Finch

New York, NY

#12 Mar 3, 2008
You just behave yourself down there so we don't have to send people out again.
Skep Tick

Braselton, GA

#14 Mar 3, 2008
>From what you write I can only guess your [sic] a democrat also.

From the way you write, I deduce you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're."
If I were you (and I'm glad I'm not), I would try to, at minimum, make sure my infantile insults are grammatically correct.

And, in response to the cretins who asserted that the po-leece chase only when somebody runs, it takes 2 to tango. IOW, these mortorists frequently accelerate their escape BECAUSE they are being chased. If you think these good ol' boy redneck deppities don't ENJOY chasing like dawgs, then you have no understanding human nature. The chase last CAUSED the driver to behave in reckless fashion. A fatality and multiple critical injuries resulted. If you think that apprehension for whatever infraction the driver allegedly committed was worth the loss of life & property,....

Finally, don't talk about jurisdiction questions when you know nothing about the area. The city limits of Braselton are in 2 counties, Barrow being one of them.
miguel

Lithonia, GA

#15 Mar 3, 2008
I always enjoy how everyone blames the cops first. The reason someone died in this chase is the suspect's bad decisions. PERIOD.
Jimmy

Dahlonega, GA

#17 Mar 3, 2008
Skep Tick wrote:
I heard the accident over the police scanner as it occurred. "10-80 [chase in progress] Head-on collision!" Why were the cops chasing? Many metro counties have no-chase policy. Barrow does not. The accident occurred at approximately 10 p.m. Even as I type, cops are spinning/schmoozing the media. The light from the blue strobes illuminates a news-truck. don't count on getting the facts.
They were probably chasing the car because it did not stop.

The driver of the car is at fault and not the police.
alt hounds

Lebanon, TN

#18 Mar 3, 2008
as of this morning, it was found that the officer had called off the chase before the crash! way to jump to conclusions.......
Frustrated

Cumming, GA

#19 Mar 3, 2008
I blame the criminals, not the police.

Since: Sep 07

Savannah, Ga

#20 Mar 3, 2008
So Joe Cop is sitting in his car and Billy Bob goes past him speeding. Joe Cop pulls out to stop him, but Billy Bob runs. WHY? Billy Bob just killed his family, his doctor and his pastor. Now he has robbed a store for money to get away with. Joe cop just wants him to stop. Chase or No Chase? Joe Cop didn't know he was chasing a murderer. Let him go and find him another day, or let him kill again? He might have been headed to your house because you read these posts. WAKE UP PEOPLE! They run for reasons. Cops can't read minds, it was just luck Joe Cop started chasing him.
Atticus Finch

Buffalo, NY

#21 Mar 3, 2008
Skep Tick wrote:
> .... Finally, don't talk about jurisdiction questions when you know nothing about the area. The city limits of Braselton are in 2 counties, Barrow being one of them.
I stated what the 11Alive article stated about jurisdiction. And I named the 11Alive article as the source of that info. Maybe the article is wrong and maybe it is correct, but if there is a problem, then you might want to let 11Alive know (and be a bit less snotty about it whebn doing so).

On a different note: "called off the chase." ROTFL! Just like that one from a month or so ago where the police "weren't chasing." Man, I h8 it when police lie because people always believe them.
___ Control

Williamson, GA

#22 Mar 3, 2008
We need gun control....wait...there were no guns to blame...

We need police control...wait...there was an inanimate object involved...

We need patrol car control. Yep, that's the ticket. It's those out of control patrol cars.
WALKER

Calumet, MI

#23 Mar 3, 2008
Atticus Finch wrote:
You just behave yourself down there so we don't have to send people out again.
YEA WELL SIR, WE HERE IN THE SOUTH STILL LOATHE YOU YANKEES, DONT COME DOWN HERE AND STIR UP THE SOUTH YOU WOULDNT LIKE A NEW WAR WITH US BECAUSE IT WOULD BE DIFFRENT/ alTOUGH I HAVEPROPERTY IN MICHIGAN I WAS BORN AND RASIED IN THE DEEP SOUTH AND SIR YOUR RUBBING OLD OLD OLD WOUNDS!
Huh

Arlington, VA

#24 Mar 3, 2008
OK, first of all, Braselton is in 4 counties, not 2. But, that is not important.

The speeder was going over 100 MPH when he passed the cop. The cop tried to chase but did stop. The speeder then crossed the center lane killing the innocent person and himself/herself. The road it was on has a speed limit of 55 MPH depending on where it was. That is if they were even in the 55 MPH part. Going 100 MPH? And just let them go? They probably would have killed someone with or without the police involved. You have got to be kidding me that you think they should just be able to drive that fast with no consequences. The most unfortunate part is that an innocent motorist died as a result of this idiot. I cannot believe you people want to blame the police for this moron acting the way they did. There are many restaurants and neighborhoods on this road (including mine.) The last thing I want is for people to think they can get away with driving 100 MPH and get away with it.

I am in full support of my Braselton Police Department on this one!
Atticus Finch

Buffalo, NY

#25 Mar 3, 2008
WALKER wrote:
<quoted text>YEA WELL SIR, WE HERE IN THE SOUTH STILL LOATHE YOU YANKEES, DONT COME DOWN HERE AND STIR UP THE SOUTH YOU WOULDNT LIKE A NEW WAR WITH US BECAUSE IT WOULD BE DIFFRENT/ alTOUGH I HAVEPROPERTY IN MICHIGAN I WAS BORN AND RASIED IN THE DEEP SOUTH AND SIR YOUR RUBBING OLD OLD OLD WOUNDS!
Then keep "FU New York" and your hotdoggin' police in line. If you can keep your own people in line then that is the best way for all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheating Social Worker moved to Georgia 42 min Forgive who for what 1
How come we ant got no power 56 min Hayden 7
Stay away from Hardee's: worst restaurant franc... 1 hr Tolerman 5
why do blacks never win on Jeopardy game show (Jul '09) 1 hr low wattage 143
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr Big Ray 21,271
Greg Burkey considering run for election (Dec '11) Mon Stan the man 2
News What makes some parents fall for anti-vaccine m... Dec 10 Pharma Dogs 6

Atlanta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Atlanta Mortgages