Davis Guilty in Millionaire's Murder

Full story: WXIA Atlanta

Scott Davis was found guilty Monday afternoon in a Fulton County courtroom of murdering businessman David Coffin, Jr., ten years ago.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justin marsh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

i think it is great! even "well to do" folks are not above the law in this land!

Since: Jul 07

Atlanta (Peachtree City)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

What is the deal with all of the different flavor murder counts. Why can't the highest level of murder be all inclusive of the other types. Not to give the criminals a break but what if our traffic laws were like that.

You have been convicted on all counts of:

Speeding
Speeding while driving a car
Speeding while running late for a meeting
Speeding with under inflated tires
Speeding while wearing white after labor day

Then you can quadruple the charges each for county, city state and federal

Can anybody help me out.
Joel Farnham

Antelope, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

I think it is more the shotgun effect. You know. At least one of them is going to hit.
Baby daddy

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Why did it take 10 years to get the conviction and why was he allowed to wear a nice suit (instead of an ORANGE suit) into the courtroom?

I think that all of those different "flavors" are generally served/addressed concurrently if they apply to the same exact act and victim. Double jeopardy laws probably apply. The multi-layered charges aim to help insure a conviction since they have different thresholds for guilt and different burdens of proof.

So, any time someone is doing a federal bid the time served is counted against whatever local or state charges are assessed for the same offense. This may come into play with Michael Vick.

Since: Jul 07

Atlanta (Peachtree City)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Baby daddy wrote:
Why did it take 10 years to get the conviction and why was he allowed to wear a nice suit (instead of an ORANGE suit) into the courtroom?
I think that all of those different "flavors" are generally served/addressed concurrently if they apply to the same exact act and victim. Double jeopardy laws probably apply. The multi-layered charges aim to help insure a conviction since they have different thresholds for guilt and different burdens of proof.
So, any time someone is doing a federal bid the time served is counted against whatever local or state charges are assessed for the same offense. This may come into play with Michael Vick.
He probably was out on bail during the trial. If Vick comes to mind its because he was already convicted and incarcerated. Also even if your in jail your allowed to put on street clothes so as not to influence the jury to your guilt.

My question is if you can get a separate penalty for each charge as in 20 years for murder, 40 years for felony murder etc. By the way is there such a thing as misdemeanor murder...if so can somebody teach....never mind. Federal charges should always trump the lower courts...or so I think
Mary Arriola

Orange, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2007

I was very glad to hear that he was found guilty, let's just hope that Drew Peterson won't be able to roam the streets for 10 years as Mr. Davis did.

Drew Peterson is a low life and scum of the earth and he should burn in HELL forever.
moonslippers

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2007

Maybe he didnt do it! Victim left his family a million and they spent it on getting this guy. Money well spent if he did the crime a waste if he didnt.

Since: Dec 07

Orange, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2007

I was just wondering what other people think about Drew Peterson asking for money for his defense,I myself would rather burn my money before I would give him a red cent..Is It Just Me?
Squash

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2007

Judged:

David Coffin was an amazing man who deserved to live a long and fulfilling life. Scott Davis took that from him. The guilty verdict was right and just. I just hope the court system upholds the verdict during appeal process.
abe

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

Judged:

For the record - anyone who knew Scott Davis growing up or at Lovett knows he is guilty.

He always demonstrated a propensity to extreme behavior to get the result the wanted. This is just another example.
Aaron Rancho Cucamonga CA

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

Judged:

There were no forensic Evidence linking him to the crime.No finger print,no murder weapon.
But his own stupid comments to the police got him in trouble.
He said some one broke into his house and stole a gas can from his room, what bone head, i deiced to bring into some one's home the first thing i take is the most expensive item not the stupid gas can.
CT Biggers

Homebush, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2009

Judged:

The GA Supreme Court just unanimously upheld the guilty verdict for Scott Davis. I hope he spends his life sentence thinking about what he did. He has ruined so many lives, including his own and those of his family. Why Scott, why???
drake

Winder, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Judged:

abe wrote:
For the record - anyone who knew Scott Davis growing up or at Lovett knows he is guilty.
He always demonstrated a propensity to extreme behavior to get the result the wanted. This is just another example.
i lived next door to the family when very young. his mother was such a b**** and sooo condesending to our family. We are all VERY successful adults...that her little scotty is a murderer is poetic justice...my thouhts and prayers for mr. coffin's family and megan.
Pam

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

drake wrote:
<quoted text>
i lived next door to the family when very young. his mother was such a b**** and sooo condesending to our family. We are all VERY successful adults...that her little scotty is a murderer is poetic justice...my thouhts and prayers for mr. coffin's family and megan.
Why was his mother so condescending? Was it because his dad was a forensic shrink?
KSgrl

Salina, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2011

Judged:

I believe he did it in anger because he's the type that doesn't like to lose anything, even if it is something that isn't particularly wanted. His sense of entitlement did him in as well as his impulsiveness. Crimes done in anger are quite often sloppy..he realized he had to quickly start coming up with excuses for evidence that might be found. Of course his parents say he didn't do it. If there isn't a picture of him doing it then they are going to say that. He's their son. If what what said above is true..then it sounds like his mom passed on her attitude of being better than everyone else. His wife leaving him and picking another man would be an insult to him. Ahhh that pride will get you.
Lenda Walker

Lake City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2011

Judged:

Mary Arriola wrote:
I was just wondering what other people think about Drew Peterson asking for money for his defense,I myself would rather burn my money before I would give him a red cent..Is It Just Me?
Mary, it is NOT just You. I totally agree; what a scumbag; as is this murderer, Scott Davis... His father is an ostrich. I am glad they (Atlanta Prosecutors) finally took him down -- money or no... creeps. She is right (one of the prosecutors), rich persons have advantages poor persons do not have. Rarely is a "rich person" found incarcerated. I am very late responding here as my daughter died unexpectedly the week of December 7.and I am still in shock and grief. Bless God for the Coffin family.
Lenda Walker

Lake City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2011

Judged:

and God Bless Megan!
HavingNoDoubts

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2011

Judged:

Denial, denial, denial. This "Free-Scotty" cr@pola by his family and g/f demonstrates their true intelligence. Absolute farce. Spoiled little rich boy-brat who lied, stalked, stole, smashed his way into ending David's life. He seethed to see others happy in his tiny, sick life. So he shot then burned David and staged the most outrageous "alibi" in the world. No wonder mommy's got poetic justuce, as commented above.

He thought daddy's CV and "good ole boys" would keep him off. Hahaha the bigger JOKE is that the killer actually wanted to be GOVERNOR! Hello? Fancy a bite, anyone? I'm passing the biggest tray of EGO we've ever seen all around.

No appeal, he'll be an old killer when he's out. He lost the plot. Mean & nasty: a man full of vitriol. He should have got LWOP. What a b@st@rd!
Susie

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2011

Judged:

How come Megan came to David's house on the night of the fire? She loved toying with Scott's mind..she loved all the calls she received after leaving him many times.She loved attention.She's also a liar..she's the one who told Scott about David being dead and how he was killed.If she didn't enjoy the calls why didn't she turn her phone off when she was with David?She was always going out on Scott.Hope her present husband in Australia giving her a lot of attention.Wonder how much David's dad gave her to come back to America and testify..I know she didn't do it for free..maybe the $250,000 plus airfare and lodging?
justice

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2011

Judged:

Look at the West Memphis 3 !!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Atlanta Forum right now

Search the Atlanta Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr silverfox 50,398
Two Ebola Patients Bound for U.S. 3 hr whatif Madrid fault opens 1
2 Ebola Victims to Be Treated at Atlanta Hospital 4 hr Wiki 3
U.S. Ebola patients will fly into Georgia Air F... 5 hr sounds like a movie 1
U.S. aid worker infected with Ebola to be moved... 5 hr Blak Power 4
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr ICP 2014k 18,619
Emory Hospital in Atlanta to receive Ebola patient 5 hr Mountain man 6
•••
•••

Atlanta News Video

•••
•••

Atlanta Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Atlanta People Search