Kia plant on way to Georgia?

Georgia could be in the running for a $1.2 billion auto plant that may be one of the largest investments in the South by a carmaker in more than a decade. Full Story
Len Che

Rochester, NY

#3351 Oct 7, 2009
Helen, relax wasn't aimed for you at all or anyone per se in fact I'm not familiar with you here are you a recent member of this topix forum?

Just making a statement in regards to how and why sometime people don't get the results they may have wished for.

What I made mention of a long time ago in here DON'T GIVE UP. I had my 3 interviews last year (2008) and then my drug testing and other medical check up last December 2008. Its a long drawn out process that Kia is doing just hang on I'm sure you'll here from them in time. I wish you the best as it seems you've come well prepared with each appointment.

Think positive!!!
javieralfonzo

San Antonio, TX

#3352 Oct 7, 2009
Does anyone know if there a lot of ex-detroit auto workers moving to GA for this plant? I think that my explain why some of the people who think they did well in the training werent given offers.
Justin Paul Athens

Smyrna, GA

#3354 Oct 7, 2009
Helen wrote:
<quoted text>
Johnny, I did the same, finished training at the end of July but went back for my physical, drug testing and post assesment... If I had not passed my physical and drug testing I would not have been allowed to do post assesment... I have always worked in production and manufacturing and have always exceed all production goals... but I got a letter stating that I didn't pass post assesment and that has been hard to swallow. If fact, I thought the post assesment was the easiest part of the whole thing... I traveled 6 hours to and from each time (I came on Saturday's for training) so I'm extremely disappointed and don't know what else to do... I wish you the best of luck though... If anybody has any suggestions for me... please let me know. Thanks,
Helen, not to sound cruel but not getting hired by Kia is not the end of the world. Just keep it moving and continue to look for a job elsewhere and closer to home. Keep your head up and dont give up, and you'll be just fine.
Justin Paul Athens

Smyrna, GA

#3355 Oct 7, 2009
ANYONE who comes from a former auto plant that was UAW (United Auto Workers Union) WILL NOT BE HIRED. Under any circumstances.
That's a fact. KIA needs a union from what I understand, but they do not want anyone even speaking the word union according to inside sources. They are union but it's in Korea.
dbb

Montgomery, AL

#3356 Oct 20, 2009
To all of you looking for employment with KIA. yes they do hire former UAW workers. I work at the Hyundai plant in Montgomery...and we have plenty of people from many different car plants around the USA here.
Johnny Wren

Alpharetta, GA

#3357 Oct 20, 2009
Kia hasnt hired nobody that I went to class with during my two weeks of training and we had a top notch class with everbody completing their work stations and past the text on the computer and only a moron would have flunked those computer texts. I am saying is why want they be straight forward and tell us whats goin on by either a letter in te mail or a phonecall
Gary

Newnan, GA

#3358 Oct 26, 2009
Hey Johnny, Stop your crying. It was nine months after my 40hrs that I got called. Some of my co-workers waited even longer.
Yea

Elkhorn City, KY

#3359 Oct 26, 2009
Oh yeah oh yeah!
KIAjk

Marietta, GA

#3360 Nov 24, 2009
"
It's true that there's no reason for foreign companies to not build here, nor for US companies to not build there. But it's also a way to return trade deficit dollars.
If the plants are built by returned trade deficit dollars, those dollars may be cheaper than they would be for US companies. Also the factory may not do much engineering or any R&D. Foreign plants also allow multinational companies to play games with internal transfer prices to move profits and taxes around as convenient. US and foreign companies have been doing this for decades.
Trade deficit dollars can also buy up mineral rights, IP, and so on as well as factories. So factories from that source can be a mixed blessing and are a symptom of a problem with current account deficits.
By the way, note how the foreign car companies building new plants in the Southeastern US with new, younger workers get a cost advantage over Detroit even if they are both unionized. With a medical care system like Germany or France the competition would be more normal economics.
Also our system gives powerful incentive to dump workers at age 50. But as people live longer that translates into an economy that employs people for not much more than half their adult life span. That's not sustainable either."
Point well noted.
At this time and age, the line between trade deficit and surplus is blurred as corporations grow increasingly multinational.
It is also practically irrelevant whether R&D or engineering is done domestically or else where. Each factory/branch is independently incorporated and must abide by all rules and regulations accordingly. They must pay Federal and State taxes and provide services via mostly domestic sources due to purely cost and lead time issues. Employees are hired domestically also because of the same aforementioned reasons.
What IS relevant however, is that foreign investments provide much needed liquidity and added stability to our economy. This translates to more jobs and job security-- and much needed tax revenue.
Take KIA's $1 Billion investment in West Point, GA for example. Although the plant will create 2,500 jobs directly, an estimated 6000 additional jobs will be created by part manufactures/suppliers in addition to the inevitable service and retail contributions.
With that stated, I must agree with your statement "... people live longer that translates into an economy that employs people for not much more than half their adult life span. That's not sustainable either."
One plausible solution maybe to raise the competitive level of our future generations with investments in education-- that will hopefully translate indirectly to higher GDP and Per Capita Income to match the tax revenue needed for our increasingly aging population.
I guess my question for you is this: If foreign entities use "trade deficit dollars" to buy up "mineral rights, IP, and so on as well as factories" are we a lesser America? Our national security is by no means compromised. In fact, our security is only enhanced by the inevitable sharing of risks and rewards by the increase in parties of interest. What is good for us is good for them, vice versa.
I humbly submit to your wisdom.
Len Che

Buffalo, NY

#3361 Nov 25, 2009
..........and what magazine did you copy this article from? The way the NObama administration is continuing to sell the US economy to China who really cares if your job is produced by an alledged USA company or a Korean company. Americans want to earn a living.
If anyone sees Joel C. from die maintenance dept. tell him Len said hello.
Coachdanny

Milledgeville, GA

#3362 Dec 10, 2009
Kristie Hart wrote:
I live in the area that is being evaluated for this plant and cannot express my unhappiness that a rural area with many family homes will be destroyed for big business. With so many empty industrial parks in both West Point and LaGrange, why choose to destroy the quiet community and ruin the simple way of life many families who wanted to get away from the city and now find it coming and forcing its way into our lives.
Can I just say that in todays econamy you should be glad that some kind of job are movinng into your town. Hell we will welcome them here any time. We just had a plant clost that had 1200 emp. Do you know what it is like to see a damn close down dummy!!!!
WestPointMom

Lagrange, GA

#3363 Dec 18, 2009
What the heck are the doing at the plant today? There has been construction/truck noise from it ALL day and I really don't want to try and sleep tonight with it shaking my bedroom all freaken night.
Hap-Hap

Newnan, GA

#3364 Dec 29, 2009
Coachdanny wrote:
<quoted text> Can I just say that in todays econamy you should be glad that some kind of job are movinng into your town. Hell we will welcome them here any time. We just had a plant clost that had 1200 emp. Do you know what it is like to see a damn close down dummy!!!!
Did you know that you replied a message that was written over 4 years ago?
MIKE

Lincolnton, NC

#3365 Jan 2, 2010
Some people don't care
MIKE

Lincolnton, NC

#3366 Jan 25, 2010
Anybody knows when 2nd shift starts?

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#3367 Jan 25, 2010
3PM,...
MIKE

Lincolnton, NC

#3368 Jan 26, 2010
Big Time wrote:
3PM,...
I meant what month are they going to start 2nd shift production?
Gary

Newnan, GA

#3370 Jan 30, 2010
Was June now maybe September. First new hire orientation for 2nd shift started this week. They had hoped to have everybody hired and trained by June. Things take time.
john

Phenix City, AL

#3371 Jan 31, 2010
september or october
betty

United States

#3372 Jan 31, 2010
Question wrote:
What can locals do to show support for Kia and make them feel welcome?
stay on your unemployment

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atlanta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
injections (Nov '09) 1 hr Buttinj_T 3
Why are black men so childish (Sep '07) 5 hr suebee 161
Ginger Wellham Wife Of ConMan Terry Wellham Mov... 12 hr neverconned 3
Obama Best President 13 hr Hugo 12
Review: I Love Kickboxing Atlanta - Buckhead 13 hr LaQuanda Jackson 3
Obama and the muslim brotherhood 18 hr Diaper Douche 53
Time Out - Local children's tv show, early 1980s? Thu Will Dockery 4

Atlanta News Video

Atlanta Dating
Find my Match